Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4: Tripping Balls (Spoilers)

atomheartbevo

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This all just reinforces how fucking incompetent the Warner management is.  They are still feeling their away around in drips and drabs with conventional comic-book movies, while Marvel is tossing out horror, vampires, martial arts, espionage, space opera, etc.

Not to derail too much, but does DC comics have as much depth as Marvel?

29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The potential for fatigue setting in is partly why we are getting this next phase - look at the next 4 announced movies:

• A spy/espionage thriller
  • Space opera + mythology + LSD trip
  • Kung Fu/martial arts movie
  • Horror movie
  • No date was attached, but a vampire movie was also the biggest announcement out of this bunch

That's a pretty unique and diverse set of genres to kick off the next phase, for what is a comic book company.

I'm not including Thor, because there's no way of guessing which way that will go, and BP2, Guardians 3, and CM2 will probably continue what they started, or at least be the more "conventional" movies.  Fantastic Four is rumored to kick off Phase 5 (possibly the mutant phase), so not including that either.

There's always the possibility of Feige throwing a curve and putting an unplanned sequel in Phase 4. Homecoming and Far From Home weren't planned phase movies given the Sony license, IIRC. And the Inhumans was announced and then cancelled. I think the more interesting aspect now is Disney+ gives them a new avenue to test drive properties and take real risks that eventually tie into the movies. WandaVision is said to have a tie to Doctor Strange 2 since she's also in it after the events in the TV show. 

Edited by mdmost

7 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Bummed about no X-Men in phase 4.

Feige mentioned mutants, so they're definitely coming. Phase 4 is only 2 years so you won't have to wait long. There's speculation that the Dr Strange movie will open the door to mutants and the X-Men.

9 minutes ago, Drew said:

I think Phase 4 is more than just 2 years...though it was going till 2022.

I mean it sounds like they confirmed Phase 4 is 2020/21 and then Phase 5 begins in 2022.   Feige almost went ahead and announced phase 5 because Marvel already has the next 5 years mapped out.   But I think he felt like announcing more than the 11 Phase 4 projects would be too much. 

2 hours ago, MoJames said:

Not to derail too much, but does DC comics have as much depth as Marvel?

Ok for those also interested that haven't had this answered before, google was friendly.

The short answer is that DC has wayyyy more characters than MARVEL.

MARVEL has a ridiculous amount of characters, some as solo characters (like the Punisher and Brother Voodoo), and others that reside in teams, like the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc… This all clocks in at about 1600 characters, give or take a bit. However, most of these are major characters who MARVEL has put lots of time into and perfected over the years.

However, DC tops them. Incredibly. DC also has loads of solo and team characters, but also has butt-loads of B and C class characters that were brought up for either a small arc, or were shortly developed, created as cameos, and then dropped from DC’s ranks for years.

Because of this, DC’s heroes, including the C-class characters, clocks in at around 1900 characters, topping MARVEL by a whopping 300 characters (which is actually quite a lot).

That explains this DC character. Can't wait for the movie.

Codpiece

He was told that he wasn't big enough in High School, and though the girl who said it meant his height, he thought she meant his...penis. Due to an inferiority complex about the size of his weiner, he created a suit with a codpiece weapon system and became a supervillain. He primarily robbed banks.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Codpiece_(New_Earth)

255254-116487-codpiece.jpg

Edited by ajax

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

Ok for those also interested that haven't had this answered before, google was friendly.

Some have speculated that Marvel got Disney to buy Fox, in part, for the access to the villains that were tied up by Fox through X-Men and Fantastic Four.  Yeah, X-Men and F4 themselves are two sets of major protaganists that could/will make a lot of money, but the villains tied down by those two franchises were major (as well as by Spidey and Sony), because they interacted with a lot of other Marvel characters.

That's the other ridiculous thing about Warner Brothers - as far I know, they have never sold off film rights to any of those nearly 2,000 characters, and so they weren't starting from behind like Marvel with the MCU.

It would almost be like if Warner had to start their shared movie universe off with Flash and Green Arrow, and hope someday they might get Batman, Supes, etc.

This all just reinforces how fucking incompetent the Warner management is.  They are still feeling their away around in drips and drabs with conventional comic-book movies, while Marvel is tossing out horror, vampires, martial arts, espionage, space opera, etc.

Don’t worry, AT&T owns them now. They’ll fix it.
  • Like 1

I didn't love Endgame for a variety of reasons, but I am looking forward to seeing Mackie as Cap and, so far, I like his rapport with Sebastian Stan.  Marvel needs more levity and these two could provide that.  Loki could be a fun ride, as well, because villains are always more fun than heroes.  Got the feeling Marvel never expected Hiddleston to become a favorite or make Loki such an endearing villain.  

And, of course, all of these Disney Plus asides are a money grab, but I'm interested to see how they build the characters.  I'd rather have the serials like this than the three hour overrated blockbusters that just end up one well-choreographed special effect after another and plot lines that even the writers can't keep up with from one movie to the next, much less explain.  Even if comics don't really need explanations by nature, I'd appreciate more cohesive plots.  But I realize that the beauty is that they can kill and resurrect with impunity and without logic and that's the point of comics.  I fully expect RDJ and Evans to miraculously reappear in coming years with little need of a plausible explanation... Tony was biding his time / Steve never liked the past he was just waiting to rescue Nat with some new Pym blah blah blah.  

On 7/22/2019 at 3:53 PM, Rougarou said:

For you "My wallet is ready"er's....what exactly are you contemplating spending? $30 on tickets and some gas to the movie theatre?

Tickets to see it once, twice...five times, okay, whatever. 

Disney+ subscription for the tv shows

• Like 1

So the date for Black Panther 2 is tbd, but I think we can predict when it'll come out. They already heavily hinted that BP2 will have Namor in it. Fiege loves to undercut DC whenever he can.

Aquaman 2 is scheduled for December 2022, so expect Black Panther 2 with Namor in November 2022.

On 7/21/2019 at 6:29 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

Ali going to kill it as Blade. 

He doesn't seem physical enough for me. I am curious to see how they play it.  I see him in like a Dr. Strange type role vs bad ass Vampire Killer. He's an amazing actor, I am just not sure I see him as Blade.

Also I have no idea why Marvel keeps trotting the Fantastic Four out there. Shitty/Boring Characters in the comics, they've already tried 3 times or so to make it work and all of them have sucked. Just so many other stories to tell before this boring ass one again.

5 hours ago, ajax said:

So the date for Black Panther 2 is tbd, but I think we can predict when it'll come out. They already heavily hinted that BP2 will have Namor in it. Fiege loves to undercut DC whenever he can.

Aquaman 2 is scheduled for December 2022, so expect Black Panther 2 with Namor in November 2022.

Yep.  They want a Namor movie pretty bad, laid the groundwork in two MCU movies, and may already have somebody cast for it.  Only problem is that Universal has the rights to solo movies (same deal as with Hulk), but they can probably slide Namor into BP2 and other movies like they did with Hulk.

Edited by atomheartbevo

• 4 weeks later...

What a river of shit these comic book movies are.

Oh no, no reboot of Spidey! I want to watch the same movie over and over with different actors!

I hate that so much studio money is being spent on unwatchable shit. Sassy dialogue and endless fight scenes. I look on the internet wanting to see a new movie at one of the amazing new comfortable theaters and all I can choose from are sassy animated features and sassy superhero vehicles.

I hope they keep flooding the market and people finally get tired, but there's no indication that they will.

Good versus Evil: boring

Saving the world/universe: boring

Give me a heist movie or a long chase or Ronin or something with humans.

Fuck!

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Oh no, no reboot of Spidey! I want to watch the same movie over and over with different actors!

I hate that so much studio money is being spent on unwatchable shit. Sassy dialogue and endless fight scenes. I look on the internet wanting to see a new movie at one of the amazing new comfortable theaters and all I can choose from are sassy animated features and sassy superhero vehicles.

I hope they keep flooding the market and people finally get tired, but there's no indication that they will.

Fuck!

iron man eye roll GIF

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Fuck!

tumblr_o39tlhQOQD1uz0c9ao2_250.gif

• Like 1

They are playing games. 

Sony rep told iO9 it's about producer credits.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/spider-man-will-no-longer-be-shared-by-marvel-and-sony-1837416155

When contacted by io9, a Sony representative said it’s their belief this dispute is simply over a producer credit and negotiations are ongoing. They further clarified that Feige has contributed to other Spider-centric movies that he did not receive a producer credit on.

And Variety:

One source said that a deal might still be reached between Disney and Sony. Disney is believed to have expressed concerns that Feige was spread too thin due to other Marvel projects plus original projects for Disney Plus.

“Spider-Man: Far From Home,” produced by Feige and Amy Pascal, recently surpassed “Skyfall” to become Sony Pictures’ highest worldwide box office grosser.

Feige achieved his first full producer credits more than a decade ago on “Iron Man” and “The Incredible Hulk.” His films have a combined worldwide box office gross of over $26.8 billion, and he received a nomination for the Academy Award for best picture for producing “Black Panther” this year, marking the first superhero film ever to receive a best picture nomination.

One of the other sites, backing up the statements above, said Sony basically wants Feige's full attention, and that there was a bit of a panic, since Pascal bailed on Sony a few months ago.

2 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I fully expect them to come to a deal, there’s far too much money to be made 

Yep.   Didn't realize Amy Pascal had been there for 30 years and had so much influence/sway behind-the-scenes.   One story made it sound like Sony kind of expected Feige to do some extra heavy-lifting with her gone (Sony has at least two more Spidey. movies in the pipeline).  And Feige doesn't do just Spidey - he was  involved with Venom and some other projects.

Man, I hope The Mouse is paying him a shitload of money.  It's pretty amazing how much of that success is because of him.

I wish LucasFilm would make all the right moves to where Filoni had the power that Feige has.

17 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Fuck!

Hey, I get it, a lot of people are burned out on superhero movies.  And other people never liked them to begin with.  That's cool.

But, since this is a thread specifically devoted to a comic book brand and superhero movies, you appear to be in the wrong place.  There are plenty of other threads about chase movies and heist movies, I expect you'd be a much happier person if you posted there, rather than here.  

'Cause otherwise you're just thread-shitting which is a dick move, Banner.

10 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

So Sony doesn't want to go 50/50 with House of Mouse to get Feige's full attention but thinks it can make a good movie without him?

spacer.png

Hell, they are re-releasing Far From Home in theaters next month just to capitalize on how popular it was.  And it's not just Spidey, they need Venom to do well.

Again, not knowing much about Amy Pascal, but I came across a video last night while I was looking at this stuff, and it was from a few weeks ago, before the current dust-up, and the commentator said that without Pascal, Sony was going to need Feige even more, as well as to quickly find somebody to step up and take her place, because they have so much in the pipeline.  

And apparently Pascal left because her contract was up or something, and she wasn't going to get as good of a deal going forward (something about back-end points).    Typical Sony.

25 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Hey, I get it, a lot of people are burned out on superhero movies.  And other people never liked them to begin with.  That's cool.

But, since this is a thread specifically devoted to a comic book brand and superhero movies, you appear to be in the wrong place.  There are plenty of other threads about chase movies and heist movies, I expect you'd be a much happier person if you posted there, rather than here.  

'Cause otherwise you're just thread-shitting which is a dick move, Banner.

Seems to be a lot of sensitivity here. I posted once. I didn't argue with those who disagreed. It is a(nother) thread where intelligent people are discussing something I believe is likely below their level of intelligence. It's disappointing.

If expressing an opinion is a dick move on a forum for opinions, I suppose I am guilty. Enjoy your comic book movies. I'm not trying to threaten that right nor the right to a positive view of them.