How To Morning Commute in Dallas on I-35

Pimphand

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Scooter dude is moron but "bro", stfu. 

If he talks like that in his normal course of action sure but to be witnessing such insanity it seems like an appropriate response.

Apparently the scooter operator made the DFW news cycle last night and the national news cycle this morning.

• 2 years later...

Reviving this old thread to inquire about driving I-35 from Austin to Dallas.

We will be driving up on a Saturday and back Sunday in couple of weeks.- for the first time since 2018.

What parts are still a shitshow and how heavy is the traffic on the weekend mornings 9-12?

37 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

We will be driving up on a Saturday and back Sunday in couple of weeks.- for the first time since 2018.

What parts are still a shitshow and how heavy is the traffic on the weekend mornings 9-12?

Construction section is from the river in Waco northward for 3-4 miles.

If you are going all the way into downtown Dallas, there is another construction section between Hwy 67 and downtown. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/23/2019 at 7:14 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

Scooter dude is moron but "bro", stfu. 

This.

Douchebag commentary is 10X worse than scooter scotty.

49 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Waco is and will always be shit, when you get past 20 closer to downtown there is construction south of the zoo area, your time shouldn't be bad but morons still can't figure out how lanes work so always a chance for fuckery

56 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Waze app has had me get off on 340 around Waco probably 9 of the last 10 times I’ve driven through. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I did the drive from Austin to Dallas this afternoon.  I hit Waco at 4:45.  Barely had to tap the brakes in Waco.  65 mph all the way through that hell hole.

The Hill county construction north of the I-35 E/W split was a bit frustrating until we convinced all of the 18-wheel guys to use the right lane.  Then we were all doing 70+.

The Waxahachie construction zone is pretty much done -- 3 lanes all the way to Dallas.

The South Dallas Zoo construction area still has a lot going on, but they have reconfigured the lanes and everything was moving pretty well until the I-30, Woodall Rogers interchange, but, thankfully, I exited at Reunion to go Downtown.

Good luck.  All it takes is one accident to screw everything up in Waco.  

14 hours ago, Armybrat said:

it’s all a fucking nightmare unless you are driving between 10pm-6am.  Waco is tremendously awful.  if you are open-minded you may want to consider 183 north to Lampasas, 281 north to Hico, then 220 to 67 to dallas.  it’s about 50 extra miles and takes about four hours but it’s a nice drive.  35 is just horrible. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Weekend traffic is terrible.  My last trip back from Ft. Worth to RR took 6 hours.  Leave as early in the morning as possible to avoid the innevitble accident backup. 

Also, don't stop at the Bucees in Temple.  There had to be 5000 people there and all 200 pumps were full with waiting lines.  The womens restroom line was to the front door.  

3 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Use this site to get real-time Waco traffic status.

https://www.i35wacodistrict.org/#home

If it is looking bad, bail out on I-35 at Belton and take 317 North route.

not familiar with the 317 route. looking on google maps… which way do you go exactly?  up to laguna park and through whitney?

or through meridian?

Edited by futureman

Laguna Park and Whitney.  Get back on I-35 at Hillsboro.  Fast speed limits and pretty country.  Probably a wash time-wise if Waco is screwed up -- but way less stressful. 

I've done the Meridian/281 route as well and enjoyed the scenery, but it takes a lot of time.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Made a speed run up on Saturday to move daughter (no pics) back from UTD.  Left at 6:30 am and got there in 3.5 with little issue.  Return trip started at 11:30 am and took right at 4 hrs with most of the crap in Waco and Georgetown to RR. When I was heading South the Northbound side in Waco was entirely fucked.

• Fuck You 1

16 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Yes.

In all seriousness when driving to the inlaws at Lake Belton I too use 317 via 84. Am I saving time?  Sometimes, but I am going the speed limit and not screaming at the top of my lungs. 

2 hours ago, Elvis said:

Weekend traffic is terrible.  My last trip back from Ft. Worth to RR took 6 hours.  Leave as early in the morning as possible to avoid the innevitble accident backup. 

Also, don't stop at the Bucees in Temple.  There had to be 5000 people there and all 200 pumps were full with waiting lines.  The womens restroom line was to the front door.  

Figured you woulda just gotten out and sprinted to shave a couple hours off. (Couldn’t help it, not trying to be a hunter/sniper)

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Hit 340 in Waco and go around to Bellmead.  In Bellmead take 31 to i-45.  Corsicana can be a mess but certainly not compared to Waco.

I've done that several times when I've gotten trapped in a Waco shit show, but it is a long way.  I suppose it makes sense if you are going to somewhere east of Dallas proper.  I'm always going to downtown Dallas, so the SH 317 route is my preferred bailout.

5 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I've done that several times when I've gotten trapped in a Waco shit show, but it is a long way.  I suppose it makes sense if you are going to somewhere east of Dallas proper.  I'm always going to downtown Dallas, so the SH 317 route is my preferred bailout.

I am typically going to Mesquite.  That being said, it can't be that much out of the way compared to other routes mentioned.

Never used 317 to go to Dallas.  Always used it as a jump off point to go to Waco\Woodway.  

On 5/18/2022 at 8:37 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

Waze app has had me get off on 340 around Waco probably 9 of the last 10 times I’ve driven through. 

Maybe a year ago Waze took me off 35 and over to 77 just to cross the river then through a bunch of residential streets. At first, I thought it must've been having a glitchy day, but damn did it work out great. I was all the way past Waco in like 10 minutes. Wish I could remember the route because I'd do that every time if I could. 

On 5/19/2022 at 12:41 PM, BonzoMontreaux said:

Couple of ideas.  

Hit 340 in Waco and go around to Bellmead.  In Bellmead take 31 to i-45.  Corsicana can be a mess but certainly not compared to Waco.

Also, take 79 to Buffalo and hit i-45 there.

There is a bypass around Corsicana with an exit where you can hop directly on 45 and never go through the city.

On 5/19/2022 at 1:16 PM, Armybrat said:

What about using the highway 6 loop around the east side of Waco up to Bellmead?

I do this.  It’s a gamble but I’d rather sit through a few lights than 35 bumper to bumper traffic.  Waco need to complete that damn loop.