Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

3 minutes ago, drifter379 said:

Are you kidding me??!!?? First new John Prine in 13 years. It's probably the most awesome thing ever.

Only listened through once so far. Will save that superlative until later in the evening, after the umpteenth play and a few bourbons. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

So what's the over/under on how much longer Todd Snider will be alive?  Jeez.  He's always had demons but it doesn't appear to be an improving condition.

I've seen Todd nearly a dozen times and have never seen a bad show. Although, I heard that a show I had to give my tickets away for ended up being a bad one. He's battled his demons for years. Is it getting worse? I haven't heard anything.

21 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

So what's the over/under on how much longer Todd Snider will be alive?  Jeez.  He's always had demons but it doesn't appear to be an improving condition.

Recent videos have looked better than a couple years ago.  

When HWA made their last album (2016?), he seemed withered away and out of his god damn mind.  I had kinda thought Todd might be the next Keef, but he looked rough there.  I remember him giving an interview where he said he wasn't drinking, but doing a ton of acid all the time.  Like with the tone that this was some kind of improvement.

It was like a diabetic saying they're giving up red meat.  He seems less fucked up recently and in general better overall health.  Who knows.  His real battle is with pain killers, and that shit isn't easy to get past.  And it'll kill you pretty quick.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Whitey Morgan is great and i like that you can see him in a bar with about 200 people.  

I'm seeing Sturgill this weekend opening up for Widespread Panic.  I saw Sturgill on 4/20 and he was more of a rock band than country.  He played 10 min jams of his songs which was cool but I wanted a little more country sounding stuff.  He was playing to the audience since it was 4/20 at a jamband type festival.  

3 hours ago, Elvis Presto said:

Whitey Morgan is great and i like that you can see him in a bar with about 200 people.  

I'm seeing Sturgill this weekend opening up for Widespread Panic.  I saw Sturgill on 4/20 and he was more of a rock band than country.  He played 10 min jams of his songs which was cool but I wanted a little more country sounding stuff.  He was playing to the audience since it was 4/20 at a jamband type festival.  

Sounds a lot like the SS show I saw in dallas months back, cept it wasn't even badass guitar solos just like garage band jamming type shit. Pretty disappointing and weird show overall. 

5 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Yeah I got tix for the Sunday night with John Moreland opening.  Haven't seen JM before, reaaaally looking forward to that show.

Moreland is awesome. I saw him open for Iron and Wine a few months ago. Unfortunately, the Iron and Wine fans talked over most of his set. Really disappointing. 

16 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Moreland is awesome. I saw him open for Iron and Wine a few months ago. Unfortunately, the Iron and Wine fans talked over most of his set. Really disappointing. 

Goddamn I hate people who yap through concerts. Always maddening, but extra infuriating when it's the headliner.  Saw Wilco at Stubbs and morons in front of me just kept yammering.  It's like why the fuck did you buy tickets to stand here and try to talk over music?  You could have stood outside and done that for free. 

On 5/8/2018 at 8:48 AM, TXSooner518 said:

Goddamn I hate people who yap through concerts. Always maddening, but extra infuriating when it's the headliner.  Saw Wilco at Stubbs and morons in front of me just kept yammering.  It's like why the fuck did you buy tickets to stand here and try to talk over music?  You could have stood outside and done that for free. 

This has become one of the thing that bothers me most in life. Sadly, the olds do it as much as the youngs. I've found that screaming "blah blah blah" or some other nonsense words at people will get people to shut up or move away most of the time. 

One of my favorites, Freedy Johnston, with a new song to be recorded for his upcoming Kickstarter-funded album:

Freedy

Let me just say that when it makes sense for a guy like Freedy to go to the public to fund a cheap album that the record industry is completely fucked.