Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

21 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Great song. I've really enjoyed his latest album. I'm hoping he'll pass through Missoula at some point.

Yeah, I love both his albums, and he has a mountain of unreleased stuff floating through Youtube.  I'll likely see him in Iowa this summer, and am pretty stoked about it.

I'd really like to see him record a bunch of this unreleased material and put it out there.

Here are some Dropbox links with a bunch of Childers' unreleased stuff.  Can be saved to your desktop and then dragged into iTunes.  One of my personal favorites is "Redneck Romeo."

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ssddorn3k1t08y8/AAAistjmtFz8C_XJ2iOO0cd-a?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tatkhbp12ao4rm4/AABBfI_GiYfx104xDdGAA2rza?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aaa9ubreniohx2t/AAB6NFNs8VK8aao3av7QC7KTa?dl=0

• Like 1

This whole song is great, but the line in the second verse is so out of this world incredible...

She had a little boy somewhere.
She showed me a picture.
That moment I remember,
her face was a mixture
of the joy of rememberin'
and a pain you don't
have ta explain.

• Like 2

Great point Bluto.  Another great song on that one is "California 85" and maybe the saddest song he has ever written in "Larosse", and that is saying something .  

He put out an album in 2001 called "Country Sunshine" which is criminally under-rated.  Two songs especially.  "First Thing About Mary" and "Sixteen".    He had Kenny Malone play drums on that record because he wanted 'that Don Williams sound.'   Also, Mickey Raphael plays on it as does Ian McLagan.  

I own everything Bruce has ever recorded and, although I really like "Long Way Home From Anywhere" because Grissom is all over it and the songwriting is incredibly strong on that one as well, "Country Sunshine" is probably my favorite record of his.  

"Larosse".   He starts out trying to sell the horse for $50 as he is traveling west.......each time, he has to lower the price as he tells what they have been through.......the last line kills.  "That's a deal, get him out of my sight."  

California 85.  Peppy tune...but a sad drunk song....  "They say that livin' well is how revenge is earned, but you and I know they will never really burn......"

"The New Me" is also a fantastic song.  

• Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 11:22 AM, Cleo McDowell said:

This was one of the best albums from last year, not sure why this dude doesn't get more publicity. It's good shit. 

honestly it has to be his name that is holding him back.  Just listened to the entire album and it's fantastic....love that old school.

Edited by MAROON

I hate the way the reply with the quoted video shows up.  Shit.   Anyway, Jack Ingram doing Jason Eady's  "Why I Left Atlanta" as a part of Bruce Robison's "The Next Waltz" project.  This band is unreal.  David Grissom (acoustic guitar), Conrad Choucroun (drums), Kelly Mickwee (vocals), Warren Hood (fiddle, vocals).

1 minute ago, hullabelew said:

Holy crap.  Just stumbled upon this new version.  "Honey don't you be yellin' at me when I'm cleaning my gun."  Maybe the greatest opening line of any song.  

I love this song so much.  I know and love a lot of folks that could have come right out of it.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Ha.   Hayes Carll followed by Steve Earle.   That's backwards.    Hehe

I can agree with that.

As for Hayes Carll, this is my favorite:

Edited by Duckman
i cant type
  • Like 1

Was working at a music venue in Houston when Hayes first started releasing albums. Got to meet him a few times. He bummed a smoke from me after his CD-release show for Little Rock and signed my CD for me. Great guy. /csb

Here he is doing one of my favorite Adam Carroll tunes:

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 2

On 3/26/2018 at 7:17 PM, Buzzrock said:

These guys are great. I started watching them for their metal reaction videos. They do a remarkable job of picking up on the lyrics and meaning of songs. The moment they figure it out, the whole thing changes.

That guy in the glasses is pretty astute.  There is something about that line "if I'd fucked her before she got sick" that catches everyone off guard.  It puts the whole song in a different light.  Reminds me of something Joni Mitchell would have said, or Patty Griffin's "Long Ride Home".  You know you're listening to something with staying power.