Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

11 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

He did. I was pumped to hear it. 

Nice.  I heard him play it with the full band in the fall but was bummed it wasn't on the list for the acoustic Gallery show.  Might be trying to catch him again Wednesday and maybe will have better luck this time. 

He did play Decent Man which was just the most recent example for me where I've overlooked the studio version of one of his song until hearing the acoustic live version.  Just another great fucking song off THATH.  

16 hours ago, troph said:

Picked up tix for me and the boys trying to rally. Going to skip the first show catch his act. Assume 9pm if first set is 7pm. 

He started at 8:15, so hope you made it in time!

Overall, good time.  He played a good mix across his albums, though I didn't need 3 from Georgia Blue.  My wife was disappointed at no Hope the High Road.  The band sounded great.

I went to multiple Luck Reunions in the past, so it was great to be back there.  Just a super cool place to see some music.  I hope they continue to do shows out there.

• 2 weeks later...
July 3rd - Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Houston, TX - 713 Music Hall
The night after Fleet Foxes at the same venue. Wish both these shows were another weekend - I'm always doing family stuff 4th of July weekend.

Been trying to see Jason Isbell for like five years now and it hasn’t worked out on a couple of occasions. Had to literally give tickets away on surly. Think this is one we’ll make though.

On 3/29/2022 at 4:31 PM, gmr548 said:

Been trying to see Jason Isbell for like five years now and it hasn’t worked out on a couple of occasions. Had to literally give tickets away on surly. Think this is one we’ll make though.

We're going to see him next week at Red Rocks.  Soooooo excited!

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Anyone here get to go?

I was there. Cool event for a great cause. 

During one song I turned to my buddy to mention the hook sounded like one from a John Prine song. After the song, Isbell told a cool story about talking with Prine about accidentally borrowing from one of his songs and Prine busting his balls saying Isbell did it more than once.

3E81990A-35D0-4F40-9584-3733A7DF6ACC.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Caught McMurtry Gallery show again last night.  Cover bumped up to $15 now but I wouldn’t blink paying 3-4x that every week for the quality of the show.

I try to not be uppity and understand that people are out to have a good time.  And I don’t at all expect everyone who shows up to be a diehard or even familiar with McMurtry.  That said- wherever you fall on that spectrum, I can’t understand how you can walk into his acoustic set at The Gallery and be an oblivious and obnoxious asshole.

Some piece of shit tech/finance man-child  literally talked over half of a song on his phone at the bar.  On multiple other occasions James softened his strumming to a barely audible level as to clue captain fuckface in that nobody wants to hear him and his buddies (who eventually read the room and I think were embarrassed) talking during the music.  Even drew a “really?” mid-song which I’d never seen from James.   Played Hurricane Party and the rest of the room let out a relating /  appreciative cheer to the “sit your drunkass down” verse.  Show ended with JM unplugging for Blackberry Winter and walking right up to the smug fucker’s table to play right in his face.  Rather than even an ounce of self-awareness setting in, prick just doubles down and tries to start an obnoxious clap for the third time of the night, which of course nobody joined.

Not sure if I’ve ever been so surly at a show.  Might all be worth it if we see a eviscerating tune penned in that asshole's (lack of) honor.

Rant over.  Go support and enjoy McMurtry if you haven’t in a while.  Guy is one of a kind and I can’t believe how lucky we are to have him so accessible in Austin.

Edited by 40acredropout

Reminds me of the phone footage of Robert Plant and Patty Griffin playing at the Continental Club, and you couldn't hardly hear the band over the chatter.  You fuckers managed to luck out into a once-in-a-lifetime show and you're too busy talking to listen to legends literally playing right in front of your face.  God, I'd have paid hundreds of dollars to be there, but I didn't get word in time, yet these fucks?

I still hate people.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I would have had a hard time not killing that guy

Yep.  No combination of dirty glances, shushing, or reasoning were going to have an impact on this fucker.  In the moment, I definitely would've seen a kill shot as justified.

See JM is going through Iowa City in June-  you going to make it out?  Feel like I remember you saying you're around DSM so not sure how easy that trip is.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Reminds me of the phone footage of Robert Plant and Patty Griffin playing at the Continental Club, and you couldn't hardly hear the band over the chatter.  You fuckers managed to luck out into a once-in-a-lifetime show and you're too busy talking to listen to legends literally playing right in front of your face. 

Have definitely dealt with same shit at JM's full band CC shows.  No less infuriating, but at least a little more understandable how dipshits pour in from the street having to check the ~Austin music~ box for novelty sake.  Part of me pities them for not being able to see/appreciate what's in front of them.  But also fuck those people for doing their best to ruin it for everyone else.

On 5/20/2022 at 10:09 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

Another new Moreland tune:

Looks like his new album will drop on 7/22.

When my marriage was falling apart, and I finally decided I had to get a divorce for my own mental health, this was the song that finally made me break down and cry. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 10:40 AM, 40acredropout said:

Caught McMurtry Gallery show again last night.  Cover bumped up to $15 now but I wouldn’t blink paying 3-4x that every week for the quality of the show.

I try to not be uppity and understand that people are out to have a good time.  And I don’t at all expect everyone who shows up to be a diehard or even familiar with McMurtry.  That said- wherever you fall on that spectrum, I can’t understand how you can walk into his acoustic set at The Gallery and be an oblivious and obnoxious asshole.

Some piece of shit tech/finance man-child  literally talked over half of a song on his phone at the bar.  On multiple other occasions James softened his strumming to a barely audible level as to clue captain fuckface in that nobody wants to hear him and his buddies (who eventually read the room and I think were embarrassed) talking during the music.  Even drew a “really?” mid-song which I’d never seen from James.   Played Hurricane Party and the rest of the room let out a relating /  appreciative cheer to the “sit your drunkass down” verse.  Show ended with JM unplugging for Blackberry Winter and walking right up to the smug fucker’s table to play right in his face.  Rather than even an ounce of self-awareness setting in, prick just doubles down and tries to start an obnoxious clap for the third time of the night, which of course nobody joined.

Not sure if I’ve ever been so surly at a show.  Might all be worth it if we see a eviscerating tune penned in that asshole's (lack of) honor.

Rant over.  Go support and enjoy McMurtry if you haven’t in a while.  Guy is one of a kind and I can’t believe how lucky we are to have him so accessible in Austin.

Midnight shows at the Continental aren't accessible anymore to this old Round Rocker.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...