Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

I know it's part of the aesthetic and it does grow on me, but I think at least part of it is the rawness of both Cooley and Hood compared to Isbell's polish. Both in the lyrics and the music.

It's not a great comparison because the songs are so different all around, but thinking about either line one "daddy didn't pull out but he never apologized", or verse 1 'sunny side down/flip her over/champagne hand jobs/cum quick' in comparison to "if i'd fucked her before she got sick". The crudeness in Elephant shocks you in the context instead of just setting the tone. I don't mean that as a criticism of Cooley in comparison to Isbell but I think Isbell's songwriting is so easy to understand as great, where you have to sit with the rawness of the lyrics and the "they wrote this song 30 minutes before recording it" arrangement of some of the DBT tracks before it hits you as well. Or at least before it hits me as well.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Isbell has a much prettier voice and better pop sensibilities in his arrangements and melodies.  It’s not surprising to me in the least that he gained a larger audience.

Playing “Cover Me Up” in a Starbucks isn’t going to ruffle any feathers.  Playing “Lookout Mountain” would.

On 11/7/2022 at 5:07 PM, Celery Man said:

My understanding of that album is that he basically taught himself fiddle and then made an album of old fiddle songs + long violent history. Which is rad. I listened to it while moving to North Carolina and had Zollie’s Retreat stuck in my head long enough that I eventually just watched the Ken Burns civil war documentary again.

His pre-sale Red Rocks tickets sold out instantly this morning. I’ve only ever had one success experience with those, for Gary Clark Jr. 

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Looks like Ticketmaster/childers is fighting scalping by not releasing the actual seats until 5 days before his show time (this goes for his 4-20 Dallas show)… I can’t even access them to xfer seats to my friend. New thing to me

Red Rocks tickets are just under $400/ticket. Looks like we’re out. 

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Haven’t seen the code for that one, but a couple of recent shows have used PAYNORENT.

Thx. Found a few local stations post BIRDHUNTERS so I’ll give that a shot. Gotta say I didn’t have TT pegged for playing the aac, didn’t know they had gotten to that level. 

On 11/17/2022 at 9:23 AM, Buzzrock said:

Go soak up the awesomeness that is Cottonseed off of Dirty South (if you haven’t).

He sang it last night at Sons of Hermann. Told a little back story too. "Real live gangster spoke at the church. He was not penitent and didn't understand why he should be. It was awesome."

No Mike you're awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Just saw that Jess Barr from Slobberbone died. That fucking sucks. 

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/entertainment/slobberbone-jess-barr-obit/

Well, shit.  Didn't know the guy but I have a big spot in my heart for that era of Texas bar-guitar rock.  Slobberbone, Grand Champeen, The Wannabes, etc.  I spent a whole lot of time getting my ears blown out by those guys.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sumbitch.  Jess was a great guy.  Used to do some day drinking with my brother at the Barley House.  First time, my brother said, "You know who our bartender was?  Guitarist for Slobberbone".     

That band, and The Drams never got the recognition they deserved.  What a great band.  

What a great cover:  LOVE that guitar tone.

This one always makes me smile. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

What a great cover:  LOVE that guitar tone.

That's fantastic.  Probably my favorite Bee Gees song, too.  And yes the guitar tone(s) are terrific.  

Did they steal an Uncle Tupelo recording on that second tune?  Man, that's uncanny.

Edited by jimmyjazz

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I didn't recognize the name, but a lot of artists I love were really bummed about it.  Apparently he was in the Nervous Wrecks at one point?

Shitty deal.

Goddammit! First I heard. Big loss.

I have posted the link in here of his interview with Otis and the retelling of the Moby Teeth tale. 

Edited by cactusflinthead

7 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Sumbitch.  Jess was a great guy.  Used to do some day drinking with my brother at the Barley House.  First time, my brother said, "You know who our bartender was?  Guitarist for Slobberbone".     

That band, and The Drams never got the recognition they deserved.  What a great band.  

I had the same experience walking into the Barley House one day, "Holy shit the bartender is the guitarist from Slobberbone." I didn't know him very well, but he was a really nice guy whenever I talked to him.

I can't tell you how many Slobberbone shows I went to back in the day. They really brought it. Lots of great originals but I always loved their cover of Powderfinger.  This is really sad.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Probably seen them 35-40 times, most recently when they opened for Turnpike back in May at Red Rocks. Gonna be hard to top that, but maybe a Braun Brothers Reunion could do the trick. If I start asking for permission now maybe my wife will give in by August

Merry Christmas, Dear. Oh look- two concert tickets in your stocking- how did those get in there??!  

On 12/15/2022 at 11:21 AM, 4th&Five said:

Just saw that and I'm bummed.  I've seen them very close to 200 times over the last 25 years, more than any other band by far.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/reckless-kelly-break-up-final-tour-1234647728/

When I first moved to Austin in 06 I heard Break my heart tonight and it scratched my right where I itch. I loved so much about their music and they opened me up to a lot of other acts i'd never heard of. Can't say that I've kept up with them much the last 5 years but I'll be forever grateful for their music. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Not normally a country music guy, but a friend put me on to Charley Crockett recently and he's really, really good.

Crockett is a really interesting dude. He claims to be a descendent of Davy. I believe he grew up in San Benito on the border. His songs sound like country music from the 50’s and 60’s. I wasn’t sure about his music the first few times I listened but it’s really grown on me. I now listen regularly.

On 12/19/2022 at 12:54 PM, SuckitKevin said:

Crockett is a really interesting dude. He claims to be a descendent of Davy. I believe he grew up in San Benito on the border. His songs sound like country music from the 50’s and 60’s. I wasn’t sure about his music the first few times I listened but it’s really grown on me. I now listen regularly.

I'm still not convinced him and Steph Curry aren't the same person.