Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

25 minutes ago, SameSame said:

Isbell was fantastic tonight, as pretty much always.  That’s a damn American rock n roll show there.  Damn good stuff 

This. I was catching a pink floyd vibe on a couple songs. Glad he played cast iron skillet.

• Hook 'Em 1

He's always been a kind of underrated singer.  When I was first discovering DBT, it was his voice that stuck out to me more than anything, as he isn't the best songwriter in that band, and I wasn't sure who was playing what guitar parts at first.  As much as I love Mike Cooley and Patterson Hood as writers, Isbell blew them out of the water as a vocalist.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Full disclosure - I’m relatively new to Isbell’s music, and this was the first time I’ve seen him live but “Last of my kind” was the standout song to me at the show last night.

I‘ve always enjoyed songs that start minimalistic and build, grow and develop into a crescendo.

Edited by GenXer

Was nobody else there last night? Really enjoyed the show. Sadler’s slide tone is killer on that sg. No red eye, no outfit, no goddamn lonely love, but like I mentioned above the encore was cast iron skillet and never gonna change. Never Gonna Change was awesome. Mix of songs across his albums. Mezzanine at ACL is great, first time I’ve sat up there.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

Was nobody else there last night? Really enjoyed the show. Sadler’s slide tone is killer on that sg. No red eye, no outfit, no goddamn lonely love, but like I mentioned above the encore was cast iron skillet and never gonna change. Never Gonna Change was awesome. Mix of songs across his albums. Mezzanine at ACL is great, first time I’ve sat up there.

Doing all 3. Thursday was a better set for me. People were hammered last night. Dude was puking all over the men’s room at one point and we saw another guy passed out by the door. 

Doing all 3. Thursday was a better set for me. People were hammered last night. Dude was puking all over the men’s room at one point and we saw another guy passed out by the door. 

That’s bizarre to me that someone would get annihilated for an Isbell show.

Christ, I feel like I’m being a dick drinking at all at his shows.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Went Friday night. Wife and I counted and this was the 6th time seeing him, starting from the Texas Union show in 2015. Had a great time. I liked the heavy weighting toward Southeastern. I think that Sadler Vaden song is fine, but that main riff is killer live.

Literally 3 minutes before they went on, my doctor sent me a message that we need to do a bone marrow transplant to try and treat my leukemia. An hour later, that mother fucker pulls out Elephant. I was a mess. My wife said that at least he didn’t do If We Were Vampires, which was a good point. We would have been puddles if he did that one.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That’s bizarre to me that someone would get annihilated for an Isbell show.

Christ, I feel like I’m being a dick drinking at all at his shows.

8 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

He does is all a favor by not doing Elephant and Vampires at the same show. Hope everything works out for you, man!

The asshole is the guy who did the “WOOOOOOO” when he sings “she said Andy you’re better than your past”.

Or the middle aged guy standing and doing praise music arms in the second row of the mezzanine.

I’d take Vampires over Elephant, what DBT did he play?

19 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

He does is all a favor by not doing Elephant and Vampires at the same show. Hope everything works out for you, man!

He did do Elephant and Vampires both at the Dallas show, and Cover me up and Cast Iron.  Like straight off a greatest hits album.

On 5/15/2023 at 3:40 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

Will someone please explain this to me like I'm 5?  I know Isbell quit drinking, but I don't get the connection here.

This shit happens to me a lot with Twitter and I'm not THAT old yet.

11 minutes ago, tigol said:

Will someone please explain this to me like I'm 5?  I know Isbell quit drinking, but I don't get the connection here.

This shit happens to me a lot with Twitter and I'm not THAT old yet.

Pretty sure it’s a shot at Morgan Wallen, who A) makes awful music B) covered an Isbell song poorly, C) likes getting wasted and yelling the N word in public, and D) just canceled a bunch of dates because he “lost his voice”

• Hook 'Em 1

Anybody going to Gruene Hall today?
image.thumb.png.42230a8048823634112c3e0637c2d649.png

So jack Ingram called in sick and William Beckmann was a last minute replacement. That dude was amazing. I’ve heard him a little on KOKE but he can fucking sing and stole the show while sing swapping with Randy Rogers.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Pretty sure it’s a shot at Morgan Wallen, who A) makes awful music B) covered an Isbell song poorly, C) likes getting wasted and yelling the N word in public, and D) just canceled a bunch of dates because he “lost his voice”

All true.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, PantsTent said:

So jack Ingram called in sick and William Beckmann was a last minute replacement. That dude was amazing. I’ve heard him a little on KOKE but he can fucking sing and stole the show while sing swapping with Randy Rogers.

Been trying to tell y’all on here. That dude is about to blow up, very personable on stage too. Saw him at gruene last summer and had hell finding tix bc it was sold out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know where this goes, but it goes somewhere:

A couple of years ago I was fortunate enough to see with my family Vince Gill play in a small venue. 1/3 guitarist, 1/3 vocalist, and 1/3 storyteller. One of the most enjoyable concerts I’ve seen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean I’ve got the 8” and the… 6.5” probably (as well as the big le creuset skillet/Dutch oven/saucepan), just that the 10” is the only lodge I need a second of.

I have one of those lil bitty one egg homies too somewhere… where did that thing go

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1