Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The Amy Ray Band opened and really impressed. She’s half of the Indigo Girls but she has a proper band now. They closed with a cover of Petty’s “Refugee” that was badass.

She was the half of Indigo Girls that didn't make me want to vomit.  The other gal was just far too precious in her songwriting.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tigol said:

I definitely agree. I actually appreciate Anxiety for its authenticity.

I do think Anxiety kinda sucks, but that's more because I just don't like it musically.  I agree that the sentiment is authentic.  What've I Done to Help is both sonic dreck and boilerplate woke-ism lyrical sentiment (and I say that as someone who's voting record looks a lot like Isbell's).  It feels like he's trying to score points with people that follow him less for his music and more for his views.  No CR.

SIAP

Jason Isbell Is Tired Of Country’s Love Affair With White Nostalgia

Most performers have chosen to stay quiet, keep their head down. It has mostly fallen on women — Black women, in particular — to point out the ways the industry has overlooked racism. But then again, Isbell, 42, is far from the common figure in Nashville. Over the last decade, he has earned a reputation for being a straight shooter, a no-bullshit writer and performer, a mutineer with a microphone.

Over the last decade, he has earned a reputation for being a straight shooter, a no-bullshit writer and performer, a mutineer with a microphone. Isbell has long been waging war against the way nostalgia has been weaponized. He has grown intolerant of the levels of racism and sexism entrenched in the industry. A white Southern man from Alabama, he is resentful of the ways a fictitious version of the past has been deployed to keep people like him — “white Southern rural men,“ in his words — from seeing how things really are.

But this story is only a little bit about Jason Isbell. If Isbell does his job right, it’s not about him at all. It’s about what happens when white men attempt to unhook themselves from the tentacles of nostalgia and engage with the world as it is, not as they’ve been told it is. For the next week at the Ryman, it’s about cultivating a different vision of roots music in all its iterations. The only thing you have to kill is something that never existed in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've not really listened to any Chris Stapleton but a coupe of weeks ago I heard "You Should Probably Leave" on the radio.  What a great fucking song.  Everything about it is perfect.  I really love the organ (sounds like a Hammond B3?).  I can't stand the bro country that is so popular right now, but this is really different.  I'm going to have to check out some of his other stuff.  I'm sure this song has been posted before, but I'm new to this thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
[mention=1238]Al_4_ISU[/mention] did you go to American Aquarium in Davenport? They put on a hell of show.

Tried to talk the wife into it, but got out voted. Based of BJ’s social media it looked like an amazing time. Might see Todd Snider down there in March. Driftless legend Gregg “Cheech” Hall is opening (check him out on Spotify via Gregg Hall & The Wrecking Ball - they do a killer “Snake Farm”).

I’m like 4 hours NW of Davenport. I’m on the damn edge of civilization practically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of us call that "Minnesota".  (Yikes.)

Yeah, I’m 10 minutes from Minnesota. But once you get an hour west or south of Minneapolis you’re in what’s basically the Dakotas. Northern Iowa, southern/western Minnesota, and the Dakotas east of the Missouri are indistinguishable (throw eastern Nebraska in there too).

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

How does that work nowadays? 500k digital purchases? Does anyone purchase digitally anymore?

I think there is a formula that counts a fraction for every stream from stuff like sportily/Apple Music/etc

edit: yep.

This award counts both downloads and on-demand music streams. On-demand audio and/or video song streams are counted towards the thresholds required for certification at the formula of 150 on-demand streams being equivalent to one download sale.

*Additional notes:

Only sales and streams occurring in the United States qualify for RIAA awards.

On-demand streams on digital music services that are authorized by and reported to the record labels, whether paid for by the consumer through a subscription or free to the consumer through ad-supported services, will be accepted for RIAA certifications.

Only official label/company videos count towards certification; user-generated videos do not.

https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/about-awards/

#themoreyouknow.gif

Edited by UTexasFight

I think maybe "even" (pro rata, even split out of the gross amount they pay out rather than a defined number of cents per song stream) for songwriting and not for sound recording, but I'm not sure about that. For physical copies (unless things have changed in the past couple years) the songwriter(s) gets just under dime for every song on every record manufactured, which is a statutory rate. I know for.... 24k streams of a song in Q4 2021 my cut was 89 cents. Actually that may not be that far off from 9 cents per 150 streams if the label took half our publishing (probably) and that's a 1/7th split.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 2:06 PM, 40acredropout said:

Looks like McMurtry is scheduled to return to Continental in March.  Main stage on Tuesdays and Gallery Room on Wednesdays.

Caught the Gallery show last night.  Got to hear a couple of the songs off the new album... was sad he didn't play Canola Fields but hey, it's his set.  Which one patron did not respect when calling out a request between songs to which James replied "Russian warship, Go Fuck yourself."  Probably one of the funniest things I've heard from him on stage and that is saying something.

Even if you don't fancy yourself a big McMurtry fan, I can not recommend this show enough if you're in Austin.  If there is a better $10 show, I don't know what it is.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Saw Carolyn Wonderland open for ShinyRibs on Friday night.  She's always been great but touring as part of John Mayall's band has really tuned her talents up a notch and she was incendiary. She's getting a lot of publicity for this song, which is apropos for our times.  Normally she plays just a regular guitar but here she tears it up on a lap steel.  Yup, we're standing on the precipice of fragile peace and certain war ...

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 1:20 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Wait . . . is that Isbell jamming with Pearl Jam or McCready jamming with 400 Unit?  I can't see the drummer well enough to tell.

EDIT:  now I see, it's Jason's band.  Awesome.

Sadler and Isbell are just killing these covers.  Stunning.  

So went and saw The Steeldrivers last Friday night.  They put on a really good show.   A couple songs in I kept thinking "Man this doesn't look like the guy that was their lead singer" (not Stapleton lol, but Kelvin Damrell).  Looked it up, and saw he left the band last summer after about 3 years.  Didn't even realize it.  So now they have Matt Dame, and of course he isn't Stapleton, but he sure can pull off the sound.  Very similar to Stapleton's voice, that at some points it almost sounded exactly like Chris.  

Tammy Rogers brother lives in Angleton apparently and came to the show and brought like 20+ people from Angleton to join him.  

Their openers were pretty good young kids (early 20s maybe) that put on a really good show as well.  Troubadour Blue is their name and they are worth checking out.  They are still trying to get their name out there so I think they said they aren't on spotify or any of the music platforms yet.  Tammy said later during Steeldrivers set that she was producing their album.  

Great show overall and worth still seeing, even without what Tammy said was "long haired hippie boy" 

• Like 1