Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

Goddamn Lonely Love

Outfit

Speed Trap Town

Vampires

Danko Manuel

I dunno, that doesn't seem right. You could swap out Vampires with Cover Me Up or Elephant. So many songs like Razor Town, John Henry, Never Gonna Change... honestly there are songs like Cigarettes and Wine that I don't think are that great but I love singing and so have a lot of listens. Really I think I have a top two and then a huge rotating list of tier 1 songs.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I'm coming up on our 50th Anniversary and If We Were Vampires hits me like a hammer.

my wife's aunt passed away unexpectedly in early march.  the night she passed my wife rushed to the hospital and i spent the evening listening to that song over and over and snuggling with our 2 year old daughter.  it hit hard.

• Like 1

They do a thing at weddings where they usher everyone out and you do a dance with your wife in the empty room and then you go to the car. We couldn’t land on a song and then my wife heard Vampires in my car and said “why not this” and yeah… wtf why didn’t I think of this.

Fun song to learn. Standard tuning down a full step I think, something like Em C D and then B or able gets in there, and obviously you’re doing that fingerpicking note walking thing.

Meaning you just keep different guitars laying around with different tunings?

Or are you saying if I went out and bought more awesome guitars I’d miraculously become competent with alternate tunings? Because if that’s the case I’d be willing to try.

On 4/26/2023 at 10:22 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

Another one from Weathervanes:

Love that and it's burned in my head since I heard it yesterday.  And also the amount of times I heard not to wash the cast iron skillet and other learned nonsense as a youth, just adds much to it.  Those lines and scenarios are taken directly from the town I grew up in, the towns a lot of people grew up in.  Sweet, and fucked up.

I haven’t gone out and learned every Isbell song but I feel like it’s mostly standard or DADGBE/DADGBD. And it is hella worth becoming competent in drop d. You can learn Cover Me Up, Speed Trap Town, and Relatively Easy (also love that song, feels very sobriety centric to me but applicable across different challenges to serenity) in one swoop.

• Hook 'Em 1

Put me down for:

Relatively Easy

Last of My Kind

Dress Blues

Speed Trap Town

Only Children

It’s probably these right now with God Damned Lonely Love, Streetlights, and Never Gonna Change at various points jockeying for position. He’s got a lot of really good stuff, but at this point, so much of it feels interchangeable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Put me down for:

Relatively Easy

Last of My Kind

Dress Blues

Speed Trap Town

Only Children

It’s probably these right now with God Damned Lonely Love, Streetlights, and Never Gonna Change at various points jockeying for position. He’s got a lot of really good stuff, but at this point, so much of it feels interchangeable. 

I looked at twitter this morning and one of the first posts that popped up was Zach Bryan quoting lyrics from Dress Blues.  I guess just because.

1 hour ago, SameSame said:

Love that and it's burned in my head since I heard it yesterday.  And also the amount of times I heard not to wash the cast iron skillet and other learned nonsense as a youth, just adds much to it.  Those lines and scenarios are taken directly from the town I grew up in, the towns a lot of people grew up in.  Sweet, and fucked up.

You wash your cast iron skillet?

I rinse mine, but soap does not touch it 

On the Isbell list there would be so many trading places in my top 5.  I was a passing fan of Drive By Truckers and early Isbell, then for whatever reason when Southeastern came out the first song I heard was Flying Over Water and it instantly clicked.  Right place right time and it hit me square.

Because of that, Flying over water will always be at the top for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

I had The Dirty South but didn't even know about Jason Isbell (i bought that album early freshman year, and the first time I encountered Wikipedia was at the end of the first semester - different fucking world when it came to learning general info about bands). "Cover Me Up" was a song that I think YouTube pushed me towards after I started listening to Sturgill, who showed up on the Maron podcast and whose name i recognized from an earlier iteration of this thread. And I wound up driving to Waterloo and buying both Southeastern and Nashville Sound, and I often get certain songs from those two albums fucked up - I would've said that Flying Over Water was on Nashville Sound.

This is such a great verse

In the heat I saw you rising from the dirt
Drunk, in tears and tugging at your skirt
If only you could tell me then what part of you got hurt
In the heat I saw you rising from the dirt

It's not even wordplay or anything, it's the imagery but also just something about the way the syllables are ordered. "if only you could tell me then what part of you got hurt" goddamn.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

There's a few too many years on this hotel
She used to be a beauty you can tell
The lights down in the lobby they don't shine
They just flicker while the elevator whines

And the couple in the corner of the bar 
Have traveled light and clearly traveled far
She's got nothing left to learn about his heart
They're sitting there a thousand miles apart

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I’ve probably plugged it a few times on this thread already but Rodney Crowell’s memoir Chinaberry Sidewalk is so very good. Any of you old farts that grew up in Houston, I bet it’d smack you in the face with nostalgia as well. 

There's a few too many years on this hotel
She used to be a beauty you can tell
The lights down in the lobby they don't shine
They just flicker while the elevator whines

And the couple in the corner of the bar 
Have traveled light and clearly traveled far
She's got nothing left to learn about his heart
They're sitting there a thousand miles apart

I had to Google those lyrics to figure out what song it was from.

That’s a brilliant verse, but I find that song’s melody and arrangement so bland that I’ve probably never listened to the whole thing.