Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

Looks like a steel string singer to me, even though it doesn’t say it on the face. Supposedly Texas Flood was recorded on Jackson Brown’s SSS.

I think most all Dumbles are pretty custom anyway, so no two are really exactly that same. Or at least that’s what I’ve always taken away from articles I’ve read.

On 6/3/2023 at 11:10 AM, Kennythetiger said:

A couple of years ago I was fortunate enough to see with my family Vince Gill play in a small venue. 1/3 guitarist, 1/3 vocalist, and 1/3 storyteller. One of the most enjoyable concerts I’ve seen. 

Sorry to keep bringing Vince Gill into this thread, but holy crap, does he nail this.  He's not even playing guitar.  There aren't a lot of triple threats out there -- singer, songwriter, player -- but he's damn near the top of the heap.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Not to hijack, but speaking of chills, my girl is singing the national anthem tomorrow at Doug Burgum’s (ND governor) presidential run announcement event in Fargo. I’ll try to get a good video.

Sorry to brag, but man I just think that is cool as shit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Not to hijack, but speaking of chills, my girl is singing the national anthem tomorrow at Doug Burgum’s (ND governor) presidential run announcement event in Fargo. I’ll try to get a good video.

Sorry to brag, but man I just think that is cool as shit.

Holy shit!  Definitely, get some video!  Lord knows I've posted more than enough "family".

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Sorry to keep bringing Vince Gill into this thread, but holy crap, does he nail this.  He's not even playing guitar.  There aren't a lot of triple threats out there -- singer, songwriter, player -- but he's damn near the top of the heap.

He’s fucking hilarious too. Very dry sense of humor. Reminded me of Mel Tillis. 

just ran through it twice.  betraying my ballad nature here but upon first listens, i really enjoyed "strawberry woman" and "miles" the most.

guitar on "this ain't it" really sounds like allman.

lots of heavy shit...

• Hook 'Em 1

i think i just had a revelation about isbell listening to this last album...this may be something that others who are more into him than me have touched on before but...

is he william faulkner as a guitar player and singer?  as someone who grew up in deep east texas amongst the southern american culture, most self-aware people effort to leave that shit behind as quickly as possible and remove it from their life.  but isbell, like faulkner, doesn't just draw inspiration from the his regional roots...they both lean into them hard in order to tell these very authentic stories.  a lot of faulkner's characters were really developed through their personal demons and impactful legacies from the past...as well as instruments for commentary on societal bullshit and the complexities of american southern culture.  both employ very vivid narratives and are compelling storytellers that repeatedly touch on personal experiences of the less positive elements of life...and complexity of emotions and relationships.  the authenticity and honesty applied to similar stories...just feel like there is an awful lot of overlap there.

• Like 1

I met so many kings of Oklahoma. First dude I met in rehab was a good ole boy from Oklahoma named Buddy who coached pop warner football, had some cattle, etc and fucked up his back building a fence or some shit like that. Met another guy living at the Salvation Army (he was, not me) who hurt his back in construction and wound up on heroin. Stuck in Texas because he got in a bar fight and couldn’t leave the state due to his parole, something like that. Anyways, once I got the gist of that song… yeah that’s a true story, everywhere you look.

• Like 1

I have an old bandmate who suffers from a lot of neuro conditions, among others.  He was under medical care with fairly tightly controlled narcotics.  His doctor retired, and he could not get a referral to another doc who would provide the same level of treatment, mostly because they thought he was drug hunting.  He's a smart dude, and was making every effort not to get hooked, etc., although daily narc consumption is kinda predictable.

He now scores heroin on the street because he can't get proper medical care.  Well done, America.  I'd help him if I could, but wtf am I to do?

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have an old bandmate who suffers from a lot of neuro conditions, among others.  He was under medical care with fairly tightly controlled narcotics.  His doctor retired, and he could not get a referral to another doc who would provide the same level of treatment, mostly because they thought he was drug hunting.  He's a smart dude, and was making every effort not to get hooked, etc., although daily narc consumption is kinda predictable.

He now scores heroin on the street because he can't get proper medical care.  Well done, America.  I'd help him if I could, but wtf am I to do?

That’s terrible. My sister and brother-in-law both got hooked on opioids in the 00’s. Her due to migraines and him due to a high school football injury to his shoulder.

In 2017, they both committed suicide. He shot himself in their garage, and she intentionally OD’d the following night. They were financially successful but physically broken.

Fentanyl is another danger now.

He might consider moving to a different country where they treat this as a disease rather than a crime.

I just listened to the King of Oklahoma. That one may just be a one-and-done for me.

My sister and BIL lived in Tulsa. That song will make me relive seeing my BIL’s brain matter on the garage floor, seeing the life drain from my sister’s eyes, giving her CPR until the paramedics arrived, and feeling the last squeeze of her hand in the ICU before her brain began to swell.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GenXer said:

That’s terrible. My sister and brother-in-law both got hooked on opioids in the 00’s. Her due to migraines and him due to a high school football injury to his shoulder.

In 2017, they both committed suicide. He shot himself in their garage, and she intentionally OD’d the following night. They were financially successful but physically broken.

Fentanyl is another danger now.

He might consider moving to a different country where they treat this as a disease rather than a crime.

18 hours ago, GenXer said:

I just listened to the King of Oklahoma. That one may just be a one-and-done for me.

My sister and BIL lived in Tulsa. That song will make me relive seeing my BIL’s brain matter on the garage floor, seeing the life drain from my sister’s eyes, giving her CPR until the paramedics arrived, and feeling the last squeeze of her hand in the ICU before her brain began to swell.

Jesus man, sorry you had to endure that. Not much else to say. Good reminder of how music can impact differently based on your story. Especially someone who takes on what JI does in his music. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

The album mix feels if to me. It’s beautiful and the songwriting is phenomenal but the mix seems weird. YMMV

As someone deep down the hole of mixing philosophies at the moment, curious on an example track for what you’re referring to…

5 hours ago, sidis said:

As someone deep down the hole of mixing philosophies at the moment, curious on an example track for what you’re referring to…

I’m too music dumb to even articulate but Save the World just seems different. It’s not bad at all-just seems off to me for some reason. I’m sure it’s me. 

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I’m too music dumb to even articulate but Save the World just seems different. It’s not bad at all-just seems off to me for some reason. I’m sure it’s me. 

That song makes me cry and feel powerless.  I'm pretty sure that was intentional.

Gone through the album and it’s great, love it. 
I really like in Volunteer how he uses a story of pain and loss, and a complex transient childhood to mask the real meaning of a college football rivalry from the perspective of someone who grew up on the border of the two states.

Pain does run deep, especially coupled with deep seeded resentment of your neighbor.  He does everything except yell Roll Tide!
 I guess American boys really do hate to lose.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/9/2023 at 1:56 PM, sidis said:

just ran through it twice.  betraying my ballad nature here but upon first listens, i really enjoyed "strawberry woman" and "miles" the most.

guitar on "this ain't it" really sounds like allman.

lots of heavy shit...

Second verse of Miles got me. Dammit Jason!