Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Is Sturgill gonna put out a new record anytime soon? A quick google search doesn't say anything about him being in the studio. It's been two years since he put out Sailor's Guide to Earth.

I wonder if Joamets leaving his band has impacted him?  I know he has been gone a long time now, and now idea how much of an impact he had on the songwriting itself.  

just read this article. looks like the album has been recorded. sounds like it's gonna be weird, which i completely expected.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/sturgill-simpson-on-new-album-its-definitely-not-a-country-record/

March 22, 2019

Sturgill Simpson on New Album: “It’s Definitely Not a Country Record”

It feels like any day now we’ll hear something about a new record coming from Sturgill Simpson. But just in case the country fan in you is hoping it will be a return to Sturgill’s roots, and similar to his earlier records like High Top Mountain and Metamodern Sounds in Country Music, you best steel yourself for something else.

In November of 2018, right before Thanksgiving, Sturgill Simpson appeared on Sarah Silverman’s Hulu exclusive show, I Love You, America. During the 30-minute program, Sturgill Simpson performed a song, and spoke to Silverman about his now infamous busking show outside of the 2017 CMA Awards streamed via Facebook Live. Silverman was one of numerous celebrities who tuned in as the live stream was happening in real time.

“It’s a sales convention,” Sturgill said during the conversation about the CMAs.

“It’s a fucking sales convention!” Sarah Silverman agreed. “Country is about being Outlaw, being badass, telling the truth, being raw!”

Sturgill Simpson went on to say that at this point in his career, he isn’t even interested in getting into a discussion about the country music industry, or the music industry at large. He only wants to focus on his own music.

“Whether it’s the American Music Awards, the Grammy Awards, all these things exist to sustain the music business,” Simpson said. “It has little to do with the artists being recognized. It’s something that I’ve come to realize. I don’t even know how much I have left to contribute to that conversation at this point in my career. It has nothing to do with me, or what I’m doing. They’ve made it very clear they want nothing to do with me. I see it as a blessing now really, because there’s all these other avenues and paths that quote/unquote ‘country’ musicians may be on.”

Sturgill then iterated some insight on his upcoming record.

“We just finished the record last week that I’ve been working on for a year (meaning he finished the record in early November, 2018). It’s definitely not a country record. I can’t question these things. You can’t question these things. You’ve just got to put art on your timeline first, and all the other shit really doesn’t matter I guess is what I’ve come to see and realize.”

“We have to know what genre you’re in to list you on iTunes,” Sarah Silverman said.

“Yeah…” Sturgill responded, before the conversation quickly turned to Sturgill’s song “Oh Sarah,” which first appeared on his Sunday Valley record To The Wind and On To Heaven, and later on his Grammy-winning A Sailor’s Guide to Earth. It was written about Simpson’s wife, but Sarah Silverman had a little fun pretending it was about herself.

If Sturgill Simpson’s upcoming record won’t be country, what can we expect from it? We can likely expect it to be loud, and more rock and roll than anything, similar to the performances Sturgill has been turning in live over the last year or two. When speaking to Joe Rogan in March of 2018, Sturgill hinted that the record could be a double album, but we’ll have to see if that materializes.

Sturgill has also dropped hints that the record after his upcoming one may be a return to his country roots, and may be his last one entirely. We’ll have to wait and see if this materializes as well. One silver lining, and one lesson to learn from Sturgill’s pronouncement is that at least he’s being honest, and letting his fans know he doesn’t consider his record country, unlike many pop stars who call themselves country to exploit the country industry for their pop careers.

Unfortunately the full Sturgill Simpson interview is only available on Hulu. However his performance of “Oh Sarah” is available on YouTube.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

new to me.  good tune.  deep shit...

Each verse is about a different friend or family member that I felt I had let down in the past. The Missouri verse is about a drunk driving accident

The last verse is about overdosing on heroin in my parent's basement early one morning on a relapse. 

I'm gonna put this on here because I heard it on KUTX last night (or maybe Sun Radio, I don't know) and it kicks so much ass, even though it's almost 40 years old, so I had pretty much forgotten about it..  Holy 80's doubled production, Batman!  What a band:

On 5/22/2019 at 6:03 PM, 4th&Five said:

Would love to see him take an album off from Cobb and work with Rick. 

Co-signed.  It might bring out the big rock record I've always felt he was sitting on.

Dave Cobb's a great producer, but him and Isbell's work together has gotten a little predictable/stale, IMO.  Shaking things up like this could make for something both interesting and kick ass.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Is this for real or is this some sort of "emo country" performance art for a post-doc thesis at Brandeis University?

Don't know, just found it.  I liked the guitar and the pain in the lyrics.  I guess I'm skewed by anything with a steel guitar that isn't talking about Coors light, big trucks, the lake, with a hip hop sounding hook.  My bad.  

1 minute ago, Dertyberd said:

Don't know, just found it.  I liked the guitar and the pain in the lyrics.  I guess I'm skewed by anything with a steel guitar that isn't talking about Coors light, big trucks, the lake, with a hip hop sounding hook.  My bad.  

Don't apologize. I'm being a snarky fuckface. Not my cup of tea, though. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 11:07 AM, irishtexan said:

Is Sturgill gonna put out a new record anytime soon? A quick google search doesn't say anything about him being in the studio. It's been two years since he put out Sailor's Guide to Earth.

Sturgill is one of the main reasons I finally broke down to read this thread. I spent most of the day listening to his three visits with Joe Rogan. I started that cycle again after listening to him with Shifflet. 

On 6/13/2018 at 9:28 AM, Buzzrock said:

I never checked out Chris Stapleton (other than hearing that strawberry wine song everywhere), but this popped up on Spotify for me:

Holy hell, how do we get a whole album of that?

That seems to be what people are asking for from Jason Isbell on this thread as well. I'll take what I can get. Have you heard the Steeldrivers version of this? There are a few stories I'd like to hear more about and Chris Stapleton's split from the Steeldrivers is one of them. 

On 6/15/2018 at 7:18 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Jesus.  They look like babies.  Badass clip, too.

Am I the only one that resents both Tweedy and Farrar for never burying the hatchet?  I'm not pining for a UT reunion, and I actually prefer both Wilco and Son Volt's best work to UT's, but it just bugs me that they still hate each other 25 years after breaking up over what basically amounted to getting on each other's nerves/ego.

Seems like I read something on wiki it might have involved a girlfriend at one point. Who knows? Shit goes sideways and they don't get along any more ever after. 

On 6/21/2018 at 1:19 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Exactly.  It beats the shit out of country radio, but there's a little bit of a formula to it.  Randy Rogers Band, for example, is my main example.  It's catchy country rock that I'm good with in a casual setting, but I'm not going out of my way for it or holding it up.

Just like Nashville country requires you to mention dirt/gravel roads, beer, girls in cut off shorts and trucks, Red Dirt requires a minimum of 3 Texas references per song, as well as at least one homage to a classic country icon.

I don't remember seeing you on the littlest of tickets thread. Jub is highly offended.

I'm getting kinda tired of labels on the music. The Americana label for what ought to be called country is pointless. Dale Watson calls himself Ameripolitan? Whatever. Where am I supposed to put The Legendary Shack Shakers? I don't give a damn what somebody calls a particular song in terms of genres. Just tell me where I can find it in what bin at the place where they sell music, online or brick and mortar.

On 9/14/2018 at 1:56 PM, 4th&Five said:

Y'all want them to get away from Dave Cobb? I dunno about that.

On 10/17/2018 at 10:55 AM, 4th&Five said:

Marking this for later. Thank you.

On 10/26/2018 at 10:27 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Full disclosure:  this clip is not for everyone.  It contains a lot of political talk.  If you're a fan of Jason Isbell but a conservative, you have been warned.  Moderators, move it to the new CR if necessary, I don't really know what the ground rules are here.

In my view, it's interesting because it shows how thoughtful Isbell is, regardless of whether or not you agree with his politics.  And it also gives a little insight into the way his mind crafts lyrics, because he strikes me as a guy who can find great poetry in simple things (e.g. his reference to "the red letters" in the Bible in this clip):

Isbell on Southern politics

And thank you to you too.

On 5/6/2019 at 11:07 AM, irishtexan said:

And to rewind.

If all y'all haven't listened to Sturgill sit and talk to Rogan for 9 hours it's worth the investment. Three episodes spaced about a year apart from each other. He talks some about the music, but with Shifflet he gets more in depth about the process of recording stuff which you can tell he really gets in to. 

Let's talk about his 5 albums. He's said it more than once and seemed quite committed to the idea on Rogan that there will only be 5 albums from him. He hinted that he might try writing, but who the fuck knows. He seems like the sort of guy that could go full Thomas Pynchon if he was pushed to the edge. I think he likes going to visit his friends and doesn't mind talking to them, but his days of sit down interviews with the press at large might be over.

So, I've heard that he was out front at the CMAs and was busking or was it protesting? I've heard both. This makes me like him more.

Todd Snider. I guess there's that other thread, but while I'm here...

Oh who the fuck cares if he is zonked out of his gourd on shrooms? As long as it is a good show I don't care. I expect him to be Todd Snider that showed up at Otis Gibbs' house late at night because that is what he HAD to do. He's seen Jerry Jeff Walker's balls. That should count for something.

9 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Let's talk about his 5 albums. He's said it more than once and seemed quite committed to the idea on Rogan that there will only be 5 albums from him. He hinted that he might try writing, but who the fuck knows. He seems like the sort of guy that could go full Thomas Pynchon if he was pushed to the edge. I think he likes going to visit his friends and doesn't mind talking to them, but his days of sit down interviews with the press at large might be over.

A man's gotta eat. We'll see what happens after he puts that 5th album out. I doubt dude has made enough to retire from his last two records and the couple of tours he's done. It's not like he's been on the road nonstop. And that's how you make your money. 

On 6/5/2019 at 1:27 PM, Dry Elbows said:

The 5 books. 

I went over to SCM and dipped a toe into the commentariat waters on the link @irishtexan has upthread. 153. 

It appears our friend John has a strong reaction to those that would be on the ramparts to defend Country Music from defilement. 

I don't doubt he'll ever quit touring until he can't. Maybe he dies on the road. Maybe he gets to the fifth album and disappears like Bobbie Gentry. Third time the name has come to me. Thomas Pynchon. That's the extreme end. 

Fuck it. There's a lot to unpack in this video. And I've started a half dozen times. 

He's got a plan of what he wants to do. What happens after that is anybody's guess. 

Around the 17:00 mark he talks about his pentateuch.

~26:30

"When I went to Merle Haggard's house he had that thing as a doorstop. That kinda put it in perspective."

In reference  to his Grammy sitting in his guitar case.

Edit: last comment. 

There's so much to unpack. He has no fucks to give at all. 

He goes full CR.

Edited by cactusflinthead

So what’s the word about Turnpike splitting up? Lead singer and bassist both strung out on H? I was going to go to their show in Houston a couple weeks ago but they cancelled. Sad i didn’t see them at the rodeo. 

Check the TT thread. Highly doubt RC (bass player) has H problem. Lead singer might. Mostly an anxiety issue self medicated with booze and coke gone out of control.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Check the TT thread. Highly doubt RC (bass player) has H problem. Lead singer might. Mostly an anxiety issue self medicated with booze and coke gone out of control.

Thanks. Saw that thread after I posted here. My brother has some various, random connections through which he heard the singer’s issue was H, and the the bassist apparently too. 

Thanks. Saw that thread after I posted here. My brother has some various, random connections through which he heard the singer’s issue was H, and the the bassist apparently too. 

I’m not that connected, but I’ve met both in real life, and have seen all the recent videos.

I would completely believe the singer had this issue. The video from the Guthrie OK show is hard to watch, and clearly more then booze. I have an extremely hard time seeing the bass player sharing it.

I could obviously be wrong, but I would be REALLY surprised if RC Edwards was into H. If anything, he was willing and able to keep the band going.

Saw Old Crow Medicine Show twice in 8 days. They are awesome live and one of my favorite bands to listen to. Who was the poster that lived in Nashville and new people in the music business? I know he knows Critter from Old Crow and was curious if they knew why Critter wasn’t with them last night. 

On 5/6/2019 at 9:56 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I have zero respect for guys covering new classics by current artists.  Write your own damned song.  (Nice mullet, too.  Travis Tritt wants his look back, and Travis could write.)

So Jimi doing "All Along the Watchtower" was not ok?

Linda Ronstadt doing...anything? 

There are writers and interpreters and there's room for both.

48 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So Jimi doing "All Along the Watchtower" was not ok?

Linda Ronstadt doing...anything? 

There are writers and interpreters and there's room for both.

There's an exception to every rule.  Personally, I'm not a big fan of Jimi's "Watchtower" after growing comfortable with Dylan's, but I'm not about to disparage Jimi's talent.  Linda had a lot of stuff written FOR her, which I find different.