Turnpike Troubadours appreciation thread

oSuJeff97

• 4 weeks later...

I went back through my records, and we haven't been in the field by April 8/9 in a decade.  I told my cousin (who lives in Tulsa) that if he can get tickets, we're going to pass on the DBT show at Cain's in February (which I assume will be canceled anyways) and go to Turnpike.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I went back through my records, and we haven't been in the field by April 8/9 in a decade.  I told my cousin (who lives in Tulsa) that if he can get tickets, we're going to pass on the DBT show at Cain's in February (which I assume will be canceled anyways) and go to Turnpike.

Nice. Yeah I have tickets to that DBT show. The last concert I went to pre-pandemic was Wilco at Cain's in October '19.

That DBT show was gonna be my first post-pandemic so we'll see... it's either gonna be that or TT. :D 

Did anybody manage to snag GA tix for the Floore's show just now?  I got on the second they went on sale and the GA section said "Available" when I hovered over it for about 5 minutes before the sale ended but anytime I tried adding 2 tickets and entering the presale code, I got a message that said something to the effect of "There are not enough presale tickets available for your selection.  Try selecting 0 or fewer".  🤬 I even saw the VIP section go from "available" to "unavailable" after a few minutes but the whole time it showed "available", I still got the same message that there aren't enough tickets, try 0 or fewer

43 minutes ago, justinjc7 said:

Did anybody manage to snag GA tix for the Floore's show just now?  I got on the second they went on sale and the GA section said "Available" when I hovered over it for about 5 minutes before the sale ended but anytime I tried adding 2 tickets and entering the presale code, I got a message that said something to the effect of "There are not enough presale tickets available for your selection.  Try selecting 0 or fewer".  🤬 I even saw the VIP section go from "available" to "unavailable" after a few minutes but the whole time it showed "available", I still got the same message that there aren't enough tickets, try 0 or fewer

Samesies

28 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I had tickets in my fucking cart, was trying to enter payment info and the website crashed. Now no tickets available 

Same, refreshed for 10 minutes before I was able to get into the website, then chose 2 in the dropdown, clicked "add tickets" and then the website crashed again.  I checked again at about 10:30 and was able to actually add the tickets and am now in a queue for tickets but it's been about 20 minutes now so I'm not hopeful I'm going to actually be able to get through. 

3 minutes ago, justinjc7 said:

Same, refreshed for 10 minutes before I was able to get into the website, then chose 2 in the dropdown, clicked "add tickets" and then the website crashed again.  I checked again at about 10:30 and was able to actually add the tickets and am now in a queue for tickets but it's been about 20 minutes now so I'm not hopeful I'm going to actually be able to get through. 

If you look at the other map in a different browser it says all spots are unavailable 

just a shitty ticket purchasing website tbh. I’m sure bots bought most 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I had tickets in my fucking cart, was trying to enter payment info and the website crashed. Now no tickets available 

I struck out on all the tickets for Billy Bob's and Cain's.  I had tickets in my cart for both nights twice and it crashed both times.  One time it came back up and said my request had timed out. That was on my computer. On my phone I've been verifying I'm not a robot for 30 fucking minutes.  It'll give me a green check mark but won't add the tickets.  Then asks me to verify I'm not a robot.  Pretty frustrating.

7 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

I struck out on all the tickets for Billy Bob's and Cain's.  I had tickets in my cart for both nights twice and it crashed both times.  One time it came back up and said my request had timed out. That was on my computer. On my phone I've been verifying I'm not a robot for 30 fucking minutes.  It'll give me a green check mark but won't add the tickets.  Then asks me to verify I'm not a robot.  Pretty frustrating.

Maybe you actually have to be a robot for it to proceed

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2022 at 10:56 AM, gernblansten said:

We had 10 people online trying to get as many tickets as they would allow you to buy for Billy Bob's (3 of us on multiple devices).  We managed to grab 12 tickets for our group of 16.  We pooled our money together and bought 4 for 3.5x the cost so our whole crew could go, and we're splitting all the costs evenly.  Was a complete shitshow trying to buy.  4 of us got kicked out of the site while we were entering payment info.  

Broke down and purchased tickets for the Red Rocks show. Tickets for Sunday evening are 1/2 price the Saturday show. 
We stayed at a decent hotel near Red Rocks this last weekend. At $180/night, I didn’t think it was too bad. Went to book a night for the May concert and the same room was $560/night. 
No thanks. 

I tried to get tickets for the show at Floore’s. The site crashed for me right when they went on sale at 10am. I finally got through and was in queue about 10:25 for 5 min until it told me they were sold out. I know of no person who got tickets through the original ticket seller and I had tons of friends trying to get them. Fuck the scalpers, GA $50 tickets were being sold for $200 minutes after the sellout.

On 1/14/2022 at 11:07 AM, gernblansten said:

Tickets for Cain's went on sale at 10:00.  There's Cain's tickets already on Stub Hub for $445-$1,069 each.  

I've been buying tickets for shows at Cain's for 20+ years. I've bought tickets for plenty of "high demand" shows in the past... shows like Wilco or Beck or The Black Keys or whomever where the shows would be sold out in 30-60 minutes.... I've NEVER been completely shut out when logging in right at 10:00 especially when there are TWO shows available. I don't know a single actual human who actually got tickets to either Cain's show and almost all of my friends were logging on and trying right at 10:00.

Just absolute, complete fucking bullshit. Fuck these scalper fucks with their bots and fuck the stupid asshole ticket broker companies who don't give a fuck.

And I'm not sure what these dumb scalper fucks are thinking... I can't imagine anyone willing to pay $500-1,000 to see TT at Cain's. I mean I understand that prices will likely go do down as we get closer to the show, but I mean WTF? It seems like it's at least likely that a good chunk of these tickets won't even be purchased by actual humans going to the show until the prices come down SIGNIFIANTLY. 

I kind of hope they don't and they end up playing for a half-full venue. Maybe that'll get some peoples' attention in terms of dealing with these scalper fucks and their bots.

Edited by oSuJeff97

I would bet a bunch of money they're headlining Hinterland (it's a fest that's been held between Des Moines and Kansas City for about 7-8 years that they've played a couple of times before).  There's always an "alt country" day.  Childers headlined last year.  Sturgill's headlined it before too.

They play in Chicago on August 4th.  Hinterland is August 5-7th.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

they need to initially charge 300.00 for a ticket(but hold back some) have the bots buy them all and then take a bath on the secondary market.

you can slowly release others later at lower prices.

I do think Covid has caused this situation to be outsized vs. normal.  everyone wants to see their favorite band right now because they haven't seen them for 2 years.  Its a bit of a panic run.

If they put together a 20-30 date tour of Texas, Oklahoma, and the western Midwest they would sell out every venue, but would spread the demand out.

Right now you have people all over the freaking place trying to get tickets to a small amount of pilgrimage dates.  If you announce a full tour, you wouldn't see a bunch of people in Iowa (or wherever - just using this is an example) trying to buy tickets to a show that's 500 miles away.

If there was a full tour, I'd probably be perusing options in Kansas City, Omaha, Des Moines, or Minneapolis and not even thinking about trying to get to those other venues.

It's not like Turnpike was filling arenas in their day.  They played 3,000 - 10,000 seat venues for the most part.  I doubt they gained new fans during their hiatus.  More dates will cure the insane demand.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If they put together a 20-30 date tour of Texas, Oklahoma, and the western Midwest they would sell out every venue, but would spread the demand out.

Right now you have people all over the freaking place trying to get tickets to a small amount of pilgrimage dates.  If you announce a full tour, you wouldn't see a bunch of people in Iowa (or wherever - just using this is an example) trying to buy tickets to a show that's 500 miles away.

If there was a full tour, I'd probably be perusing options in Kansas City, Omaha, Des Moines, or Minneapolis and not even thinking about trying to get to those other venues.

It's not like Turnpike was filling arenas in their day.  They played 3,000 - 10,000 seat venues for the most part.  I doubt they gained new fans during their hiatus.  More dates will cure the insane demand.

this...they're sort of ripping off their biggest fans in order to build max excitement.

Just now, 4th&Five said:

this...they're sort of ripping off their biggest fans in order to build max excitement.

thus the way of the world now to some extent.  The bot situation is making it worse than it needs to be.  I can't blame them for being capitalists and driving demand a certain way. given the royalties on music suck it's understandable.  it sucks that the bots/scalpers are making the money and not the band though.  they are obviously pricing their tickets at below market rate.

the stones do a decent job of this by releasing tickets into the market a week or so leading up to a show.  yes floor seats are still 400.00 full price but it's all relative.

Will be interesting to see what the pricing does on secondary market as it gets closer to these dates.

• 3 weeks later...

Any Houston people interested in catching a show, White Oak is having an in-person presale for the first 1500 people to show up tonight between 5:30-8.  They’ll give a wristband when you arrive. At 8, they’ll  call groups by color to come up and get an individual specific presale code for 2 GA tickets that you can use before 8 tomorrow morning…quite the process. Show is May 7th.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Shows in Iowa and Minnesota on the one weekend this summer I have a wedding I need to be at.  I cannot catch a break with this shit.

If I can get tickets to the Council Bluffs show, I should be able to pull it all off.  It's only 90 miles from where the Saturday wedding is at.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Red Rocks 3 weeks from tonight. Anyone else going if you’re not a total fucko, shoot me a pm and I’ll gladly share one of the 3 flasks I intend on bringing. Will be staying downtown Denver for the weekend and getting really really drunk at Viewhouse and Tap 14.

Taking the wife and my kid to the show. A concert at red rocks is a bucket list item for the wife and I. Kid is old enough to go now and he’s just picked up the guitar. Really looking forward to it.

Those of you that have been to Red Rocks - what’s the parking situation? Go early and tailgate?

Head is still pounding from the show at Billy Bob’s last night.   Wasn’t the best show I’ve ever seen them play, but it was still a good show.   Opened with “Every Girl”, was hoping they would close with their cover of “If you’re gonna play in Texas”, but that didn’t happen.   

18 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Man I’m jealous of you guys seeing them at Red Rocks. I saw them there in the summer of 2018 with Old 97’s opening for them. It’s one of the best shows I’ve ever seen.

My wife and one of her best friends are borderline obsessed with Turnpike. I like them and all, but they follow them like Surly posters follow Texas football. After bots scooped up all the tickets to the Red Rocks shows they bit the bullet and bought two tickets for Sunday at well over $200 each.

I'm joining on the Denver trip, because why the fuck would I not swap Houston for Denver for a weekend, but taking the wait and see approach on tickets because neither I nor the friend's husband want to go too far north of $100 for tickets. Hopefully it works out in our favor in the final days because I do want to go.

2 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Taking the wife and my kid to the show. A concert at red rocks is a bucket list item for the wife and I. Kid is old enough to go now and he’s just picked up the guitar. Really looking forward to it.

Those of you that have been to Red Rocks - what’s the parking situation? Go early and tailgate?

I been three times in the past several years. Each time we went, we stayed in Golden and took an Uber. It was only like a 15-minute Uber from there so it was easy-peasy.

Honestly, the parking situation up there looked like a shit-show that I wouldn’t want to deal with.  But I did see a good number of people tailgating.

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Lots of tailgating but I am not familiar with the parking strategy. We usually just Uber or stay at a hotel with a shuttle.