Turnpike Troubadours appreciation thread

oSuJeff97

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

My wife and one of her best friends are borderline obsessed with Turnpike. I like them and all, but they follow them like Surly posters follow Texas football. After bots scooped up all the tickets to the Red Rocks shows they bit the bullet and bought two tickets for Sunday at well over $200 each.

I'm joining on the Denver trip, because why the fuck would I not swap Houston for Denver for a weekend, but taking the wait and see approach on tickets because neither I nor the friend's husband want to go too far north of $100 for tickets. Hopefully it works out in our favor in the final days because I do want to go.

Will be interested to see if your bold strategy pays off. I picked up tickets for the Sunday show somewhere around $250 in January. Saturday tickets were $500 and that was an instant no-go. I’ve always wondered about the trade-off between having tickets in hand and peace of mind vs being able to buy cheap ones at the last minute. 

Will be interested to see if your bold strategy pays off. I picked up tickets for the Sunday show somewhere around $250 in January. Saturday tickets were $500 and that was an instant no-go. I’ve always wondered about the trade-off between having tickets in hand and peace of mind vs being able to buy cheap ones at the last minute. 

Normally I wouldn’t want to travel for an event without tickets but really I’m just happy to have the excuse to go to Colorado. We’ll likely hit the mountains Saturday and/or Sunday morning and that is a big enough draw for me on its own. Kind of banking on those who bought to resell having to drop the price in the days immediately before in order to unload, and hoping demand will soften in the same window because a lot of it now isn’t local, and you can’t exactly plan a trip to Denver on a day or two of notice.

We’ll see how it goes. And see if, in the moment, I just eat my words to an extent and buy at a higher price point than I would now.

• 2 weeks later...

Standing in line for two hours to get in was not. Luckily I found a ginger that had a soul and told him I’d buy him two beers if he let us “join” his group in line and he happily obliged. Evan looked incredible. Dude shaved 20 years off of his appearance since the last time I saw him. Very cool for Mickey to come out and jam with Reckless.

• Like 1

Standing in line for two hours to get in was not. Luckily I found a ginger that had a soul and told him I’d buy him two beers if he let us “join” his group in line and he happily obliged. Evan looked incredible. Dude shaved 20 years off of his appearance since the last time I saw him. Very cool for Mickey to come out and jam with Reckless.

We got out there early and tailgated till 6 and got in line. Beer lines were also shit.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:42 AM, Trey3216 said:

Sounds like Hayes Carll 

The subject matter really reminded me of a darker flip of "To Keep From Being Found" off of Hayes' last album (although it sounds nothing alike), but to me this sound like classic Felker.  The turns of phrase are so undeniably him, and the melody is very much in the vein of what he does he so damn well.

On 5/9/2022 at 8:23 AM, NorthLoop said:

Sounds drunk :D

lol I kid.. I've been wondering if his songwriting ability would change a bit with his sobriety

I don't think he really wrote drunk before.

For most of his career, I don't think Felker was constantly drunk.  I think he drank like hell to cope with his social anxiety on the road, and it just eventually blossomed into a full blown addiction.

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't think he really wrote drunk before.

For most of his career, I don't think Felker was constantly drunk.  I think he drank like hell to cope with his social anxiety on the road, and it just eventually blossomed into a full blown addiction.

You may be right, but a large percentage of the world's greatest writers in history were alcoholics who did some of their best writing when they were on the sauce. 

15 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

You may be right, but a large percentage of the world's greatest writers in history were alcoholics who did some of their best writing when they were on the sauce. 

This is true, but I generally think they were geniuses either way.

If I look at musicians I like who got sober, a lot of them still write incredible songs sober.  If there's any negative effect on their music from sobriety, it's that they lose any sense of free wheeling chaos in their live shows.

They ended up releasing some extra tickets at face value so we picked up a couple GA. 2 x $49.95 ended up $150 after fees smh. A full 50% of the ticket price.
Turnpike at Red Rocks was awesome. That is an amazing concert venue.

Yeah, it was. I wouldn’t consider myself a die hard fan but it was a great show, and holy shit what a cool venue. Also I thought Shovels & Rope was really good, wasn’t familiar with them before then.

We went to the Sunday show which was graced by the lunar eclipse. Odds of that have to be… astronomical. I was a little worried when they came out. Most of the first song sounded pretty rough to me - at one point Felker missed a note and I’m pretty sure I saw him roll his eyes at himself in frustration on the screen - but they settled in nicely.

IMG_5535.thumb.jpg.0f455b49768df58b249f3cd4685e41f2.jpg

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

It will only be 110 degrees with no breeze down by the river.  What could go wrong.

This is the truth.  I went to the REK show out there recently.  I was pounding water and still couldn't keep cool.  Good show, though.  Got to meet Elizabeth Cook.

10 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

It will only be 110 degrees with no breeze down by the river.  What could go wrong.

5 hours ago, tigol said:

This is the truth.  I went to the REK show out there recently.  I was pounding water and still couldn't keep cool.  Good show, though.  Got to meet Elizabeth Cook.

I’d be willing to bet (in fact I am because I’m going to the Friday night show) that it will be a hell of a lot cooler than 110 after the sun goes down in the middle of October.

9 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I’d be willing to bet (in fact I am because I’m going to the Friday night show) that it will be a hell of a lot cooler than 110 after the sun goes down in the middle of October.

User name checks out.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I’ve only heard the cruddy live versions of the two songs that are on YouTube, but they’re both great fucking songs.

That was a great read.  Really confirms what was obvious from the outside.  Pretty sure I was at the Des Moines show referenced in the article.

19 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Tickets to 8/26 in KC.  Old 97’s and Avetts.  Hell yea.

Tickets in Lincoln. This time it’s in the big stadium. ☹️

Last time we saw them in Lincoln it was in a smaller theater. Evan was fucking hammered but the audience knew every word to every song, so the band played on, and we sang at the top of our lungs. One of the funnest concerts I’ve attended. 
Tried to get Zach Bryan tickets for that same time in Lincoln, but for a couple of months now they’ve been in the several-hundred-dollar range. I don’t understand that. 

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

Tickets in Lincoln. This time it’s in the big stadium. ☹️

Last time we saw them in Lincoln it was in a smaller theater. Evan was fucking hammered but the audience knew every word to every song, so the band played on, and we sang at the top of our lungs. One of the funnest concerts I’ve attended. 
Tried to get Zach Bryan tickets for that same time in Lincoln, but for a couple of months now they’ve been in the several-hundred-dollar range. I don’t understand that. 

I saw them in Lincoln at the Bourbon in February of '16 IIRC.  My buddy and I got there towards the end of the opening band and ended up way in the back.  Evan didn't seem hammered (the drunkest I saw him was in Des Moines in '13 when the whole band drank with my cousins and I before the show) but it was an awesome show.

Then we stayed out until bar close in Lincoln, couldn't find an Uber at 2AM or a cab, and walked nearly 3 miles down West O street into a howling subzero February windchill in order to get back to our hotel.  It's funny how my memory of that great show has drowned that fresh hell of a trek out of my brain.

I don't understand paying $700 for a concert. 

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Pulled the trigger on the DC show in September with Lucero and Reckless Kelly. Flight was under $200 and I haven’t visited since I was 14 so it seemed well worth it, especially if they’re headed towards playing huge venues here in Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

“Backstrap from the morning kill/I always kept the best for you”

That is the best line from the song.  First couple of times through, I find it "meh."  Just doesn't sound like a Turnpike song to me.

Edited by Dry Elbows

3 hours ago, Dry Elbows said:

That is the best line from the song.  First couple of times through, I find it "meh."  Just doesn't sound like a Turnpike song to me.

It’s an RC Edwards song.  It’s pretty consistent with the other Turnpike songs he’s written, like Morgan Street and Seven Oaks, IMO.

I love it personally.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Kyle Nix’s new album is really damn good. Seriously. I thought his first one showed major promise as a songwriter, but the hooks and his voice weren’t that compelling. His singing has improved, he added a female vocalist (Ken Pomeroy) and put together a really good band. Then he wrote about his mid-pandemic divorce, and made a great album.