possibly get $125 from the dumb asses at equifax

ButtFumble

They got my info (shocked I tell you) and caused me hassles, but is that $125 only if you prove you had to spend extra shit on false expenses, etc.?  Or is is just a parting gift for playing (i.e. having a credit rating)?  My fast cursory reading of the "how to" was unclear on that.

It looks to me like you have to prove time spent dealing with the breach, for which you get reimbursed $25/hour up to 20 hours (or something like that).  As far as I'm concerned, the damage is done, and $25/hour is not worth it.  

There may be a component related to financial loss that I missed.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The level of effort and documentation required for reimbursement isn't worth it.

I believe you get the $125 for nothing other than signing up

as I read it any additional money you are trying to claim for effort you put into checking your credit reports or otherwise dealing with an issue from a breach is what requires more documentation

19 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

as I read it any additional money you are trying to claim for effort you put into checking your credit reports or otherwise dealing with an issue from a breach is what requires more documentation

I could be wrong, but it looks like you only need to provide documentation if you claim more than 10 hours. I entered 2 hours, and all they asked was that I describe my actions, approximate time spent, and the date I took the actions.

21 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Both my wife and I were on the list.  It took 1 minute to sign up for the $125 each.  It'll take a lot more time if you want to claim more costs associated with the breach.

This is true, there is really only the documentation and time issue if you lost time or money as a result of it.  The $125 is just the standard that you are entitled to no matter what, it literally took me about 30 seconds to fill out the information. 

25 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I believe you get the $125 for nothing other than signing up

This, though as mentioned they only ask for supporting docs if over 10 hours. I had an Amazon credit card opened in my name, and my primary card was compromised twice. I submitted a claim for that, though they mention they may ask for supporting documentation for that. If they do, I dunno what I will give them, I didn't save that stuff, but I figure they may just pay it if it's a less than 10 hour claim, or they may ask for what card number got compromised, which I can provide.

Edited by TXSooner518

I was on the list.  I didn't claim I had spent any time, but it appears I still qualified for $125.  You have to certify that you have credit monitoring.  I have LifeLock, which I encourage people to get.  The really are on top of your shit.

And if I get $125, I was deposit 125 internets to OP's account.  Thanks, butt, I would never have dealt with this otherwise.

Edited by Sbbruin

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I did 10hrs because fuck them.  No documentation required.

Yep.  So if I understand correctly 125+250=$375 for what just took maybe 90 seconds. I had multiple attempts to open cards under my name.  I assume each of those was due to equifax. Each of the two I reported took 5 hours to resolve. 

Surely there is someplace on the web that can help you with coming up with 10 hours of undocumented tasks.  I have the following off the top of my head:

placing credit freezes
continually reviewing approximately 20 online accounts for potential fraudulent charges
unfreezing to allow for loans (auto, business, home refinance, new credit cards) to be processed
re-freezing after loans were processed
obtaining and double-checking credit reports transunion and experian
changing passwords for approximately 20 online accounts

I mean, these are things that were done without even thinking about it.  It's not made up stuff.  Did all that take me 10 hours?  Well, I'm sure it would easily take at least 10 hours for a less-technologically savvy person than me :)

15 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I gave the site my name and SSN and it replied, “You weren’t impacted by the incident, but you will be now!” And then I heard a Bela Lugosi-style “mwah-mwah-mwah” chuckle. 

Is that bad?

Yeah, I did wonder if I just gave the Russians the few missing pieces of my profile they needed to replicate my identity.

10 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Yeah, definitely not worth spending 2 minutes for $125.

You don't have to do any documentation to get the $125.  It's literally putting in your info and hitting submit. 

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Both my wife and I were on the list.  It took 1 minute to sign up for the $125 each.  It'll take a lot more time if you want to claim more costs associated with the breach.

Yep took me about 1 minute as well.  

Having a credit monitoring service could be left up to interpretation.  If you periodically monitor your own credit reports, I don't see why you couldn't consider that a credit monitoring service.  

Equifax must be hoping that most people sign up for credit monitoring which should cost them a hell of lot less than $125 for each claim. However my guess is that 95% of claims will want the cash.   Equifax set aside enough money ($450m) to pay 3.4m claims that wanted cash.  However the breach covered close to 150m people.

Now if 25m people say they want $125, it wouldn't surprise me if Equifax and the FTC change the settlement to prove you have an commercial credit monitoring service.

2 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

The eventual fallout of giving your email to a company that will use it for marketing isn't worth $125. 

Use a google burner they are free.  I just used the one I almost always use for online stuff. I just get a new one every couple years.