Linked In Dilemma

I've got an issue that may not be an issue, borne of my own stupidity.  I resigned my job a few months back, due to some things I could not take, and a desire to do something else.  I had a great run there, and was making a lot of money at the time I left.  What I wanted to do has only partially panned out, and I cannot replicate the kind of income doing it.  It will be a longer slog, and so long story short, I need to rejoin Corporate America, and have a group highly interested in bringing me on board.  I will probably take that job.

However, I was not really looking, and once I received an offer, I started contacting a few old contacts on LinkedIn last week to ensure I get the best deal possible.  Problem is, my email associated with LinkedIn is the address associated with my old employer.  I discovered this today, immediately changed to my personal email, and deleted sensitive messages.  Still, I do not want my old employer to view these messages, and my old email will certainly have received a LinkedIn-generated email that said I have an InMail or whatever it's called.  

I believe my LinkedIn credentials will have logged me out, and they don't know these credentials.  So I have two questions.  First, will LinkedIn log me out from my old work computer (they probably do not have access to that computer anymore anyway).  Second, if not, what is the legality of their review of these messages?

Who was paying or the account-you or your former employer ?   Or did you have a free version type account?

Edited by Lobo

37 minutes ago, hornbri said:

why don't you just change your password? That will surely log you out and the old computer will not have the new password. 

I did. But after I put in writing sensitive information. They could’ve pulled the messages. 

41 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Who was paying or the account-you or your former employer ?   Or did you have a free version type account?

Free account. I’m not sure I ever accessed Linked In from the office. 

30 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

You think someone at your old company is monitoring your old email? Furthermore, you think the person monitoring your old email would see a LinkedIn email, and decide it’s time to access your private information? 

Were you a spy?

If not, no one gives a shit about your LinkedIn 

^ this

You are vastly over-estimating:

1. The competence of the IT team at your old company
  2. The amount of time they have to waste on am employee who left months ago
  3. The idea that they even still monitor your email address instead of routing it straight to the trash like a normal company
  4. That even if they did monitor it, that they would do something with it
  5. That LinkedIn's security system wouldn't make them login again from a strange computer, like happens on Facebook, Google, office.com and most other enterprise-focused sites
  6. That even if they managed to login that they'd click through LinkedIn to your InMail
  7. That they would have the context to understand what someone wrote you in that InMail
  8. That they would forward it to their legal/HR team
  9. That their legal/HR team wouldn't immediately pitch a fit that someone violated your privacy
  10. That legal/HR would actually take action against you

...and the list goes on and on.  Chill out, have a beer, get your new job, make money, ignore bitches.

imgur
/applications/core/interface/js/spacer.png" />

You don't have to tell us, but just admit it to yourself---did you leave with proprietary information or didn't you?  If you didn't, this is all an academic waste of time.  

27 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You don't have to tell us, but just admit it to yourself---did you leave with proprietary information or didn't you?  If you didn't, this is all an academic waste of time.  

also - did you have a non-compete.
how bad of terms did you leave on - just up and quit,  bad mouthing people to fellow employees while headed out the door, badmouthing the company to others in the industry.

best thing you can do is PM Chad Briscoe for some sound advice

I think you’re probably right. I was there a number of years, and when people that reported to me left, their emails would come to me. We’d pay attention to sensitive emails for sure. 

I suspect some LinkedIn notification went to my old boss and he likely did absolutely nothing with it. I’m wondering, however, what would happen if he did click “View Message”. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Nope. However, I can’t disparage the old shop. And a crafty attorney could frame me as doing so. 

Edited by Porterhouse

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

also - did you have a non-compete.
how bad of terms did you leave on - just up and quit,  bad mouthing people to fellow employees while headed out the door, badmouthing the company to others in the industry.

best thing you can do is PM Chad Briscoe for some sound advice

Have a very stringent non compete and that’s what’s at the heart of my questions. I left on pretty shocking terms to the company. I just up and quit and literally said “this is bull shit and I’m not doing it anymore.”  

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Most email copy of LinkedIn messages I receive only have the first few words and a link to go read the message on linkedin. It never emails a copy of messages that I send on linkedin. Change your password and stop worrying. 

I already changed my password. But today. The messages were sent last week. I’m aware no text appears in the notification emails. I’m worried that old boss is clicking to view the message and can do so. This is my concern dude. 

3 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Have a very stringent non compete and that’s what’s at the heart of my questions. I left on pretty shocking terms to the company. I just up and quit and literally said “this is bull shit and I’m not doing it anymore.”  

I know they threatened you with lawsuits and everything, but in the end, Chili's doesn't care if you go cook burgers at Applebee's. 

3 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Good for you. A person can only wear so much flair. 

When you left, your mail was forwarded to your boss.  The only way to click through to a linkedin message is if the link in the email with the notification is opened and the message link clicked in a browser on the machine where your linkedin was up and running, i.e., the logged-in session on your machine has been persisted for months.  The probability of this is infinitesimally small.  Your old machine has not been running nonstop for months.  They likely imaged your machine, wiped the build and repurposed the machine.

If you had linkedin set up to autostart (pinned to taskbar, etc.) with your password saved and "recognize me" turned on, and your machine was not wiped/repurposed, and has been sitting on a shelf and not used, when it's turned on, your changed password will prevent access.

Linkedin stores the ip address and mac address of every session, for a period of time.  I don't know how long.

Good luck, and may the force be with you.

14 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

long story short

Too late. ;)

Based on your writing style, I’d say you were either in Marketing/Communications or government work. If it’s the first one, no one at the company really cares, because they’ve probably moved on to yet another brilliant initiative, visually represented by columns or arrows or pillars or circles or whatever BS the latest consultant is pitching to save the day.

If it was the Government, Porterhouse, how does Hope Hicks look naked?

21 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Too late. ;)

Based on your writing style, I’d say you were either in Marketing/Communications or government work. If it’s the first one, no one at the company really cares, because they’ve probably moved on to yet another brilliant initiative, visually represented by columns or arrows or pillars or circles or whatever BS the latest consultant is pitching to save the day.

If it was the Government, Porterhouse, how does Hope Hicks look naked?

Finance. 

6 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

When you left, your mail was forwarded to your boss.  The only way to click through to a linkedin message is if the link in the email with the notification is opened and the message link clicked in a browser on the machine where your linkedin was up and running, i.e., the logged-in session on your machine has been persisted for months.  The probability of this is infinitesimally small.  Your old machine has not been running nonstop for months.  They likely imaged your machine, wiped the build and repurposed the machine.

If you had linkedin set up to autostart (pinned to taskbar, etc.) with your password saved and "recognize me" turned on, and your machine was not wiped/repurposed, and has been sitting on a shelf and not used, when it's turned on, your changed password will prevent access.

Linkedin stores the ip address and mac address of every session, for a period of time.  I don't know how long.

Good luck, and may the force be with you.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Again, my password was only changed yesterday and Linkedin messages sent last week, but what you say above is what I figured, and I’m glad to hear some reassurance. 

Note to everyone, stop using your work email as your login for anything that you need to retain if you leave.  Especially important for social media accounts, dropbox, etc. 

you also need to be aware that if your phone is connected to your work email, IT can usually wipe all content on your phone immediately when you quit, get fired or laid off. Learn how to disconnect your phone from the company to prevent this. 

Yeah, most jokes aside, there is a rare chance that if you left your LinkedIn password saved and account logged in on your old work computer, that your boss or HR is using that exact computer where you were locally logged in. At worst, they are seeing email notifications that you have had some communication with former customers/vendors/contacts. I don’t think it’s unusually for a manager to be forwarded emails from ex-employees for a period of six months to a couple years just to insure nothing gets dropped. They did that at my last three companies. 

16 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

This thread would make me rescind any job offer to you. You better post some tits to show some minimal level of competency.

Here's a porterhouse.

spacer.png

Here's Porterhouse

spacer.png

And here is what you requested,

Spoiler

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

It's excessive and 12 months.

If you're going to violate the non-compete, your emails aren't going to be how they find out. It's also should be the least of your worries at this point. Can't you just wait it out another 6 months before taking the new job?

Just now, 'stache said:

If you're going to violate the non-compete, your emails aren't going to be how they find out. It's also should be the least of your worries at this point. Can't you just wait it out another 6 months before taking the new job?

I could, but bird in the hand, and they’re paying me a lot of money. And I’m not subject to a non-compete in that I can’t work. I’m subject to non-solicit provisions with respect to clients and employees. I haven’t and won’t violate those. 

8 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I could, but bird in the hand, and they’re paying me a lot of money. And I’m not subject to a non-compete in that I can’t work. I’m subject to non-solicit provisions with respect to clients and employees. I haven’t and won’t violate those. 

Then what the fuck are you worried about?