The Official Phil Dawson Retirement Thread

deech

3 hours ago, Zharkov said:

And I think he did not go to the photoshoot for that.  Because of his values or something?  Or maybe I'm confusing him with somebody else. 

You are correct, and I was joking.  He didn’t want his image associated with Playboy. In fact, it may have cost his spot on that “team,” which ruined his future. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

He still looks like a dwarf.
A rich, happy, cheerful, dwarf who doesn't limp when he walks, doesn't have his brains scrambled, and has a big, fat NFL pension waiting on him.
The worst part is that if I ever found out he was banging my wife, my only response would be to ask her to invite him over for dinner so I could bullshit with him.
My bet is he gets a job on the studio team of either a college or pro telecast and kicks ass. He is a genuinely nice guy and has a ton of stories to share from his playing days at both levels.

He’s gonna be doing something for LHN this season if he wants. Seems to be what they do.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Nice story on Phil Dawson,  recently honored at the NCAA Convention in San Antonio.    If not aware,  Phil is the head coach at Hyde Park.   Led them to an 8-3 record last year and the TAPPS playoffs.

(excerpts)

Seems wherever he goes, success always follows him around. Funny how that works.

It caught up with the former Texas and NFL place-kicker again here at the NCAA Convention on Wednesday night when he became the first Longhorns football player ever to be named a Silver Anniversary Award recipient for impacts in community and careers. He was honored alongside Peyton Manning and other wildly accomplished athletes a quarter-century after their collegiate careers.

(Virginia kick)

Curiously enough, head coach John Mackovic immediately called for the kick team without blinking. His kicker was equally confident.

“I was young and dumb. I really was,” Dawson said. “Maybe I was borderline arrogant because I thought I was going to make every kick. It runs deep. Coach Mackovic was very decisive, and that helped my confidence.”

That said, it didn’t help when, as Dawson was leaving the sidelines before the kick, UT’s offensive line coach yelled at Mackovic, “What the hell are you doing, John?”

Making history, that’s what.

Dawson made some more the next year when the Longhorns beat the Aggies in College Station to clinch a spot in the Sugar Bowl.

“Whoever won that game was going to go,” Dawson said. “As a Texas kid who grew up hating the Aggies, that was big. I still remember the bus ride home. It doesn’t get much better than beating the Aggies in their place in a fantastic environment. That’s on my list.”

Football made UT, NFL kicker Phil Dawson a star; now he's giving back (statesman.com)

• Hook 'Em 2