Great Western Movies

ernest_t_bass

Lot of great movies listed here, I'm gonna  throw in "The Westerner" as a true classic. Gary Cooper with Walter Brennan as Judge Roy Bean was great.  The scene where they try to out-drink each other pouring whiskey in beer mugs, then wake up in bed was funny as hell. TCM still shows it on occasion, and I watch every time. Law west of the Pecos with some good humor thrown in.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2018 at 12:28 AM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Just finished Bone Tomahawk.  Jesus Christ that’s an intense movie. 

On 4/6/2018 at 12:43 AM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Awesome. I just read it was made on $1.8 million.  You can feel it too.  It’s like watching El Mariachi or Reservoir Dogs.  

On 4/6/2018 at 2:29 AM, BurntOrangeCrush said:

Agreed. I had never even heard of it until a colleague sent me a link to see it on YouTube for free about a month ago. It was awesome. And it had one of the most gruesome scenes ever

Just watched this last night.  DANG!  Gruesome indeed.  Thanks for the rec.  Pos rep all around. 

been on Tapa a lot, so I haven't wanted to type out my list.

Like I stated, I love everything Jimmy Stewart and Clint Eastwood.  I have all of their movies.

I have seen a ton, but it is all subjective, as I am not a fan of John Wayne.

My top ten, not in order. Ones I could watch and have watched over and over...

The Outlaw Josey Wales - "Birds gotta eat same as worms"

Pale Rider  - "Preacher!"

Silverado

Unforgiven

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Dances with Wolves

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

No Country For Old Men

Blazing Saddles

How The West Was Won

The Big Country

• 4 years later...
On 4/12/2018 at 7:14 PM, kt-horn said:

The Missouri Breaks

The poster art by Bob Peak is one of his best. Peak was the greatest when it came to movie poster art at that time, creating art for Camelot and My Fair Lady, Superman and Star Trek plus 100’s more. I met him before he past away, even visited his studio, one of the highlights of my life. 

Edited by Brandywine

searched the thread and didn't see it listed...but The Long Riders is one of absolute favorites. it's available on a few streaming apps i think. 

my grandmother was an extra in one of the train scenes, they used the Texas State Railroad train out of Palestine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, mchookem said:

searched the thread and didn't see it listed...but The Long Riders is one of absolute favorites. it's available on a few streaming apps i think. 

my grandmother was an extra in one of the train scenes, they used the Texas State Railroad train out of Palestine. 

I like the premise. I'll look for it. 

The Cheyenne Social Club

I went and saw that movie alone at the age of 11. It had no nudity but incredible cleavage in that film for my young eyes. Shirley Jones, sue Ane Langdon, Elaine devry and the other girls bring it. I had no idea what a whorehouse was at that time. My parents went to see it later on and we’re horrified I had gone to see it four times.
  • Like 1

For the western comedy genre I submit The Paleface with Bob Hope.

There have been many good ones already covered. Though they may not all be great I am a sucker for ‘40s and ‘50s westerns. Some representatives below that I have enjoyed:

Bend in the River starring James Stewart

Dodge City starring Errol Flynn

Firecreek featuring Stewart 

Many Rivers to Cross with Robert Taylor

Rocky Mountain and Santa Fe Trail both featuring Flynn

Sergeant Rutledge with Jeffrey Hunter and Woody Strode

Shane starring Alan Ladd

The Ox-Bow Incident featuring Henry Fonda

Walk the Proud Land with Audie Murphy

There are so many more awesome and hokey westerns from that era. 

I remember watching one of them and a couple of the Indians were actually wearing wedding rings. So much for detail and authenticity!! Another one featuring an Indian raid, with a bunch of horses running around, actually had mannequins laying on the ground. It was noticeable since they were all laying face down all in the samE posture with their feet firmly 90 degree to the ground.

On 4/18/2018 at 7:39 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Are we just naming westerns on here? The thread title is “Great Western movies.”

None are great if they all are great

Place Hombre with Paul Newman in None.  The first hour has been chit chat on what we now call wokeness.  I don't know if I am going to sit through the 2nd to see if anything happens. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/5/2018 at 4:03 PM, Texas007 said:

I am such a big fan of Eastwood's westerns. A handful of fantastic ones I didn't see mentioned yet:

1. Two Mules for Sister Sara
  2. Hang 'Em High
  3. Joe Kidd
  4. High Plains Drifter (my personnel favorite)
  5. Pale Rider

No love for Paint Your Wagon?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/4/2018 at 5:21 PM, Brothahorn said:

Da hell, gentlemen?

No Audie Murphy movies? The Texican w/ Broderick Crawford and Ride a Crooked Trail.

I'll add Seven Men from Now and Coroner Creek both with Randolph Scott.

And you can't take great westerns without mentioning Fort Apache(Fonda/Wayne) and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.

Audie Murphy is a great American, but I've yet to see one of his movies I can get into.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1