Any critters you have a irrational fear of / hatred for?

Buzzrock

On 12/29/2019 at 7:19 PM, BearSchlong said:

Catfish. I will grab every fish in the bay but I am freaked out by their whiskers and barbed fins. I will not touch them. Doesnt matter if it's a gaff top, hardheaded, blue, channel. . .

When I was a young un, my uncle, grandfather, and I would go noodling in the Washita River in OK. (Noodling was illegal in Texas).

14 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

1. Big, fast, flying cockroaches.

2.  These sonsabitches:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lubber grasshopper poisonous

url insert she no work but worth a look - Eastern Lubber Grasshopper

Winged, wicked, vile, poisonous tobacco juice spitting alien spawn demons

Once you master the technique, they are quite tasty  

https://www.tampabay.com/features/homeandgarden/kill-kill-kill-the-eastern-lubber-grasshopper/1223224/

The lubber's only natural predator is the loggerhead shrike, a cool little bird that decapitates them and then impales their carcasses on thorns or barbed-wire fences so the sun can bake out the toxins before mealtime.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/21/2020 at 8:30 AM, Walden Ponderer said:

I usually don't mind spiders. But this motherfucker creeped me the freak out in the middle of my morning coffee. Almost as big as a tarantula. I didn't know wolf spiders could get this big.

Spidah.thumb.jpg.eb4568907720e2ddf2195dc0127f5efa.jpg

Can you put your hand by it and retake the pic? Need a size reference.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Good eating

We caught a couple a few months ago at the river and my friend made alligator Gar Balls out of them.  Mixed with onion, peppers and egg I think and fried like a hush puppy.  They were surprisingly really good. 

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I don't know if it's irrational since scorpions do have a painful sting, but I am afraid of them. When we were touring homes prior to buying, there was a new build that I had an immediate and visceral dislike to due to the amount of scorpions that were discovered while walking around inside and out the property. Eek.

I think it had something to do with watching that old version of Clash of the Titans that one of the cable channels aired.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2022 at 6:27 PM, Brisketexan said:

^^
Birds are dicks. All of them. You heard me - all of them.

Grackles always look like they fuck with each other hard.  In a gang of 8-9, one will be missing a leg, another's wing is dislocated.  Bird #8 has neither eye...  No wonder they give no fucks.

For my money though, fuck scorpions.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

We have aggressive Mockingbirds in the hood.  They dive-bomb me and the dogs on our morning walk.

Her nest must be near by and she'll follow us the length of the block making sure we "keep it moving"

DiveBomberDave_sitecard.gif

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...