Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

Monday morning update on Harold Perkins

Brian Perroni

He says the weekend visit went really well. He spent Saturday and Sunday in Aggieland and says he got a chance to hang out with pretty much all the commits and recruits that were in town.

He is still going to take his official visit this coming weekend to Oregon. He is set to leave Friday morning, since he and Cy Park and facing Cy Ranch on Thursday night.

Speaking of that game, both Jimbo Fisher and Steve Sarkisian are supposed to be there, per Perkins. That would count as each head coach's one allowed visit. Perkins says he does not have anything set up in-home with either coach, but I'm guessing they do it at school earlier in the day. LSU is supposed to be there as well, but with no true head coach at the moment, it will be an assistant.

He is still set to wait until the Under Armour game to announce. A&M is still in good shape and, as of now, he does not have any other officials planned beside the Oregon one. He has already used them to A&M and Texas

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

A&M or Oregon? Does A&M just have an unlimited bag budget now?

A&M. It’s not unlimited but it’s nationally competitive. Bama win was absolutely massive. They’re committed to building in the trenches. Our donors need to wake up and realize they’re going to chew us to bits inside if we don’t start doing the same. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Barbacoa said:

A&M. It’s not unlimited but it’s nationally competitive. Bama win was absolutely massive. They’re committed to building in the trenches. Our donors need to wake up and realize they’re going to chew us to bits inside if we don’t start doing the same. 

Yeah they're clearly focusing on the DL. That Bama win is so annoying, total fluke that saved their class. Seems like they likely end up #3 or 4 in the 22 recruiting rankings. Which ironically replaces the #4 ranked class of Juniors that mostly moves on after this year.

I'd just like our donors to give us some weapons at any position. DBs, WRs, OLs, at least something. Our DL class seems good for '22 but yeah OL for sure.

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Side note but I still can't believe they never got any recruiting blowback from Sul Ross statue and the whole #racismatTAMU thing that went national last summer. That stuff is pretty bad yet seemed to brush right off them

I think being in the SEC helped them and I'm not even joking. Look at the other schools and the states they are located in the SEC. ermahgod! They're all racist and they have statues too. So outside of Texas Tribune, was it really news?

Plus everyone was focused on Robert E. Lee and couldn't tell you who Sul Ross was. 

It comes down to bags and playing the in the SEC. Anything else is just fluff.

Just now, UDontKnow said:

I think being in the SEC helped them and I'm not even joking. Look at the other schools and the states they are located in the SEC. ermahgod! They're all racist and they have statues too. So outside of Texas Tribune, was it really news?

Plus everyone was focused on Robert E. Lee and couldn't tell you who Sul Ross was. 

If instate kids cared about EOT, you'd think they'd care about the A&M stuff. Doesn't seem to be the case.

Agree though - bags, SEC, and winning are what actually matter for a lot of kids. Obviously SEC is guaranteed at some point but may not be helping yet. Idk where we stand on bags. We'll see how the winning goes over the next year or two.

Unless something changes they'll beat us the first time we play them because they'll have better line play.  Neg away, don't care, but anyone that isn't completely biased can see they have better OL/DL guys currently and adding.

And all the football board gurus will be up in arms clueless as to why it happened.  But it'll be okay because Randolph Duke and others will continue to give silly history lessons, make jokes, and all that stuff.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Unless something changes they'll beat us the first time we play them because they'll have better line play.  Neg away, don't care, but anyone that isn't completely biased can see they have better OL/DL guys currently and adding.

And all the football board gurus will be up in arms clueless as to why it happened.  But it'll be okay because Randolph Duke and others will continue to give silly history lessons, make jokes, and all that stuff.

Meh I hear you but I think we'd be pretty evenly matched this year. Their O is bad. I think we'd win next year bc they lose so many guys. Who knows after that.

Also don't forget about the portal. Theoretically we could fix the trenches in one offseason.

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

They don't care because they are being paid enough not to.   Game wouldn't even be close right now, which is fucking infuriating. 

I’m this scenario our inept influential rich alumni might actually band together and do something.  If that’s what it takes, so be it. 

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Side note but I still can't believe they never got any recruiting blowback from Sul Ross statue and the whole #racismatTAMU thing that went national last summer. That stuff is pretty bad yet seemed to brush right off them

The reasons being is Austin is the LA of Texas and they cry louder.  BCS doesn’t have shit in terms of the side of the coin to make a spectacle out of it 

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Meh I hear you but I think we'd be pretty evenly matched this year. Their O is bad. I think we'd win next year bc they lose so many guys. Who knows after that.

Also don't forget about the portal. Theoretically we could fix the trenches in one offseason.

Yeah I don’t think so. Unfortunately they can run the ball as well as stop the run pretty well. That would be a killer for us.

I’ll be shocked if our trenches problem is fixed in a year. There’s no reason our D-line shouldn’t be the strength of the team.

5 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

OL is debatable, talent-wise. Don't you guys have better rated linemen? A&M has "bread" like Trainor and some others who never amounted to much (perpetually injured or never made it past practice teams). The difference might be in coaching continuity, and having an above average position coach. Some of it is luck, such as with Fatheree holding up nicely as a true freshman, and even Bryce Foster anchoring the center nicely, though it took several games for these guys to gel and to play together.

What will be interesting is watching whether the two position coaches zero in on same set of recruits or if they have different philosophies and target different talents.

I've been mostly happy with the DL recruiting and development though wish there was more of a dominant pass rush that shows up in terms of ungodly QB sacks and QB/RB forced fumbles.

4 hours ago, Creasy Bear said:

Yeah I don’t think so. Unfortunately they can run the ball as well as stop the run pretty well. That would be a killer for us.

Only if you think that Sark will rely on the run game as much as he seems to have this year (taking advantage of the talent as he found it this first year). Isn't Sark's scheme more WR friendly? And A&M isn't great at corner position. We have plenty of safeties though.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Barbacoa said:

Honestly that will probably be a good thing. It seems like the only thing that will make our donors open their fucking eyes, ahem wallets, is getting punched in the fucking face.

13 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Honestly, have we heard anything about the eyes since the SEC announcement?

13 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

With likely first game being fall of 2023 I think we could be alright. If there wasn't the portal I'd be a lot more concerned. By then we should have about 90% of our current roster turned over or Sark guys. 

12 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Their defensive front 7 would destroy our OL and it wouldn't be funny at all.....

Plus their offensive line is coming together and they got a stud in Fatheree.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Honestly that will probably be a good thing. It seems like the only thing that will make our donors open their fucking eyes, ahem wallets, is getting punched in the fucking face.

Thats what Arkansas was supposed to do. I guess lots of bullets are being saved for the portal, which makes sense on the OL. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm curious how the portal dynamic works out going forward. 

There may be decent to great talent in the portal at skill positions-- guys who feel slighted, guys who feel a scheme mismatch and want to try their luck at a different school, that sort of thing. Unless they're grad transfers or their program suffered coaching carousel, I don't know that OL and DL which are really good are going to transfer.  Continuity and relationships, and all the stuff that went into the original decision of going to their current school probably still exist and only got stronger. 

37 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Thats what Arkansas was supposed to do. I guess lots of bullets are being saved for the portal, which makes sense on the OL. 

I wonder if portal bullets end up being more efficient / less competitive than HS kids in general. Will be an interesting and new dynamic with NIL. But to be honest, if we still aren't doing anything with '22 guys, I don't have much confidence that it's actually going to happen in the portal.

1 minute ago, PHLaggie said:

I'm curious how the portal dynamic works out going forward. 

There may be decent to great talent in the portal at skill positions-- guys who feel slighted, guys who feel a scheme mismatch and want to try their luck at a different school, that sort of thing. Unless they're grad transfers or their program suffered coaching carousel, I don't know that OL and DL which are really good are going to transfer.  Continuity and relationships, and all the stuff that went into the original decision of going to their current school probably still exist and only got stronger. 

It's a fair question that probably no one really knows yet. Transferring is likely going to get a lot less "taboo" over time. I could even imagine guys entering the portal literally just to take offers, like free agency. But otherwise I think there could be high-profile transfers for a few different reasons:

1. Homesick 

2. Coaching changes (including position coaches and coordinators)

3. NIL - there are always some elite players at small schools. They can make a lot more money at a major program.

4. Playing time - 2nd/3rd stringers at places like Bama may get tired of waiting and see opportunity

5. General dislike for their current situation. Plenty of kids (athletes or not) initially choose a college they don't end up liking. Or like you said, scheme fit, feel slighted, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know most here won't see it, but I wonder if Fisher is selling Evan Stewart a similar setup as is for Ainias Smith right now.  Smith lines up all over the field and even as a 3-star, has managed to become a top target for the O. And he is a junior and could likely be gone to the NFL after this season... the dude could help out any number of NFL teams even on special teams as a KR and PR if not right away as a receiver.

Even in a situation with breaking in brand new quarterbacks and the first one going down and then having to adjust for the second stringer, Smith has still managed to gather 31 receptions for 347 yards and 6 TDs through first half of the year.  Last year, he had 43 receptions for 564 yards and 6TDs, averaging 13.1 yards per reception. Worthy's numbers are sky-high, but he will also be around for couple more years, while Stewart could be the receiver not unlike how Smith is.

13 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

It's a fair question that probably no one really knows yet. Transferring is likely going to get a lot less "taboo" over time. I could even imagine guys entering the portal literally just to take offers, like free agency. But otherwise I think there could be high-profile transfers for a few different reasons:

1. Homesick 

2. Coaching changes (including position coaches and coordinators)

3. NIL - there are always some elite players at small schools. They can make a lot more money at a major program.

4. Playing time - 2nd/3rd stringers at places like Bama may get tired of waiting and see opportunity

5. General dislike for their current situation. Plenty of kids (athletes or not) initially choose a college they don't end up liking. Or like you said, scheme fit, feel slighted, etc.

There are generally a handful of needle moving players in the portal each year, and then a bunch of average guys who can play in situations of dire roster situations. Last season it was really Xavier Worthy and Wanya Morris as the two prize guys. We got one of them and saved this season from being a complete disaster. Had we gotten both of them, I think we win both of the last two games.

We should take no fewer than 4 OTs this year in the portal because two of those will play a bunch if not be the outright starters if they are even slightly above average players.  

7 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

I know most here won't see it, but I wonder if Fisher is selling Evan Stewart a similar setup as is for Ainias Smith right now.  Smith lines up all over the field and even as a 3-star, has managed to become a top target for the O. And he is a junior and could likely be gone to the NFL after this season... the dude could help out any number of NFL teams even on special teams as a KR and PR if not right away as a receiver.

Even in a situation with breaking in brand new quarterbacks and the first one going down and then having to adjust for the second stringer, Smith has still managed to gather 31 receptions for 347 yards and 6 TDs through first half of the year.  Last year, he had 43 receptions for 564 yards and 6TDs, averaging 13.1 yards per reception. Worthy's numbers are sky-high, but he will also be around for couple more years, while Stewart could be the receiver not unlike how Smith is.

Dude.. Smith is the only receiver with a pulse in Jimbo's offenses the last decade. Most games he has had 3 or fewer catches, even as their "featured" guy. It would be like a 5 star receiver choosing Nebraska in the 90's.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

I'm sure he is selling that, but 564 yards as the team's leading WR is still shitty, especially with a veteran OL and 4th year starting QB who was drafted in the 3rd round. Smith is currently 165th in the country in receiving yards, despite having played 8 games (most teams have only played 7 so far). 

For reference, Sark's offense had 3 WRs with more yards than that last year, including one with 1,800 yards. Yes, it was at Bama, but Evan is a Bama-level talent himself. This year Sark has two WRs with more yards than that (in 7 games), including one who's also missed time with an injury.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Ready to take my neg, but the front 7 should be a team strength next year even with those leaving and if Mc(Special)Kinley Jackson is in jail. Here’s the 2020-2022 4-5 star DL if commitments stick: D. Harris, Diggs, S. Turner, Adeleye, Burriss, Jeudy, J. Harris, Sylla

LB 4 star: A. Doyle, E. Cooper, A. White (2019 signee but likely back), T. Harris, M. Harris

That is a very good group with a lot of depth that most coaches across the country would feel good with. Many of them are getting playing time now and early returns are fairly promising including 3* Raikes. 

19 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

we have a long history of young blue chip guys not playing much, getting many targets, or scoring TDs compared to other blue chip WRs.

Demas had the worst. season. ever. by a 5* true freshman WR.

In general if you are a blue chip WR and go play under Jimbo Fisher, you are going to under perform compared to your contemporaries. You will play less snaps, catch fewer balls for fewer yards and fewer TDs.

anyone acting like they are going to go and play as a true freshman in a Jimbo Fisher offense is fooling themselves.

2 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

I know most here won't see it, but I wonder if Fisher is selling Evan Stewart a similar setup as is for Ainias Smith right now.  

I have no doubt he is selling Stewart on something similar. It's pretty clear he has to lie to convince any WR with a pulse to play for him. The amazing thing is that anyone still believes him.

Just now, Tex Pete said:

I have no doubt he is selling Stewart on something similar. It's pretty clear he has to lie to convince any WR with a pulse to play for him. The amazing thing is that anyone still believes him.

Not sure they actually believe him just yet.. Chris Marshall has yet to pull the trigger despite being a heavy lean/silent to them for over 6 months now.

13 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

There was some post on tamu 247 about Chris Marshall that got lots of upvotes. But yea, the only WR committed so far is a tall 3-star; several of those types already on campus without seeing any real playing time.

the post ::

Spoiler

Fort Bend Marshall had its bye over the weekend and he was set to officially visit Alabama. However, he did not go to Tuscaloosa. Marshall told 247 that he had something come up and was going to have to reschedule, but his team will likely be playing very deep into the playoffs. He also reconfirmed that he plans to announce a commitment at the end of the regular season in two weeks. When asked if, should he commit elsewhere, if he would still take an official to Bama, he did say yes. But I'm not sure that will happen.

A&M is in really good shape heading into the decision in two weeks. USC and Alabama are his other top two and USC just lost Katy LB Ty Kana to a decommitment since there is no head coach at the moment. A&M has been the heavy leader for Marshall for quite some time.

https://247sports.com/player/chris-marshall-46110458/

• Like 1

Thanks, @golfclap!

Looks like A&M might back into getting the services of this talented WR if Saban/Bama don't push, but that doesn't seem likely because looking at their list so far they only have one WR committed.

On second thought, looks like both their ATH have played WR and could play WR at Bama too. But as far as WR offers, they seem to be in on a couple other higher rated guys including Stewart and Coleman but none that have the height/body type of Marshall. So Saban might push if he really wants the guy.

I don’t get it with Stewart, but whatever it’s his decision.  Demas could have been gone in 3 years if he lives up to the hype.  Almost no chance that happens now.  Bag $$$ up front <<<< an extra year in NFL.    Anias is a baller and his numbers are somewhat pedestrian exclusively due to the scheme.  But Spiller sure will be drafted high.  

30 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I don’t get it with Stewart, but whatever it’s his decision.  Demas could have been gone in 3 years if he lives up to the hype.  Almost no chance that happens now.  Bag $$$ up front <<<< an extra year in NFL.    Anias is a baller and his numbers are somewhat pedestrian exclusively due to the scheme.  But Spiller sure will be drafted high.  

Didn't the money go to FWK anyhow?

32 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Spiller is an RB. Not relevant. It's a good offense for RBs and TEs. Terrible for WRs.

Demas didn't play his senior year in high school, right? I don't have any insider info, just read internet stuff about him not being disciplined and learning the playbook, needing to be a college player, etc. Would have been easy for him to step-in especially after Chapman had season-ending injury in the Florida game. But the proverbial bulb didn't turn on, and that happens to several top talent over the years.

I felt bad for Jalen Preston last week; he finally got to be in front of the press/media after a good game and when one asked him how it's been to wait his turn, and what he looks forward to, he said he looks forward to scoring a TD. I had to look up his stats-- sure enough, he hasn't yet had a TD. That's what he hopes-- aside from that memorable Alabama game and post-game experience, he wants to have a TD.  Chase Lane came after and was low ranked but has more of a stat sheet. And guys like Deunte Wright (to Minnesota) and Kam Brown (to UCLA) already quit and transferred, but Preston didn't quit, and has been getting his share of the passing game, which is nice to see (and probably only because Hez Jones has been injured. Preson is junior.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PHLaggie said:

Demas didn't play his senior year in high school, right? I don't have any insider info, just read internet stuff about him not being disciplined and learning the playbook, needing to be a college player, etc. Would have been easy for him to step-in especially after Chapman had season-ending injury in the Florida game. But the proverbial bulb didn't turn on, and that happens to several top talent over the years.

I felt bad for Jalen Preston last week; he finally got to be in front of the press/media after a good game and when one asked him how it's been to wait his turn, and what he looks forward to, he said he looks forward to scoring a TD. I had to look up his stats-- sure enough, he hasn't yet had a TD. That's what he hopes-- aside from that memorable Alabama game and post-game experience, he wants to have a TD.  Chase Lane came after and was low ranked but has more of a stat sheet. And guys like Deunte Wright (to Minnesota) and Kam Brown (to UCLA) already quit and transferred, but Preston didn't quit, and has been getting his share of the passing game, which is nice to see (and probably only because Hez Jones has been injured. Preson is junior.

Worthy (29) has as many catches this season as Demas and Preston do in their A&M careers combined (29).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2