Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

6 hours ago, Vertigo said:

There are generally a handful of needle moving players in the portal each year, and then a bunch of average guys who can play in situations of dire roster situations. Last season it was really Xavier Worthy and Wanya Morris as the two prize guys. We got one of them and saved this season from being a complete disaster. Had we gotten both of them, I think we win both of the last two games.

We should take no fewer than 4 OTs this year in the portal because two of those will play a bunch if not be the outright starters if they are even slightly above average players.  

wanya morris hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire this season. 

6 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

I know most here won't see it, but I wonder if Fisher is selling Evan Stewart a similar setup as is for Ainias Smith right now.  Smith lines up all over the field and even as a 3-star, has managed to become a top target for the O. And he is a junior and could likely be gone to the NFL after this season... the dude could help out any number of NFL teams even on special teams as a KR and PR if not right away as a receiver.

Even in a situation with breaking in brand new quarterbacks and the first one going down and then having to adjust for the second stringer, Smith has still managed to gather 31 receptions for 347 yards and 6 TDs through first half of the year.  Last year, he had 43 receptions for 564 yards and 6TDs, averaging 13.1 yards per reception. Worthy's numbers are sky-high, but he will also be around for couple more years, while Stewart could be the receiver not unlike how Smith is.

Maybe he's promising luxury suite access when Stewart is 30 so he can be a proud alumnus next time they beat Alabama.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Worthy (29) has as many catches this season as Demas and Preston do in their A&M careers combined (29).

it's like I brought up Preston's info so that you rub my nose into it. nice job. yeah, i know the wide receiver production the past two years, thank you very much. :D

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Maybe he's promising luxury suite access when Stewart is 30 so he can be a proud alumnus next time they beat Alabama.

that won't cut it, obviously. I bet Stewart will counter with a private jet bringing him to Easterwood airport, private stretch limo ride to Kyle Field, in addition to the lux suite. Just for starters.

5 hours ago, mr. littlejeans said:

wanya morris hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire this season. 

10 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

We’ll take him.  Promised starting spot and all…

Morris didn't go through spring ball and was out part of the fall for some reason. He'll be a good option for one of the tackle spots for the next year or two for the Sooners. He was a good take for OU because they missed out on a couple of OT prospects (got Byrd though, who's gotten some positive reviews).

9 hours ago, quigley said:

Morris didn't go through spring ball and was out part of the fall for some reason. He'll be a good option for one of the tackle spots for the next year or two for the Sooners. He was a good take for OU because they missed out on a couple of OT prospects (got Byrd though, who's gotten some positive reviews).

he was a good take and will probably (maybe?) be good for them eventually in his final season. but the general sentiment around here seems to be that the portal is the way to magically solve the o-line problems next season and those expectations should probably be tempered. morris was the best OL portal guy last season, a two-year SEC starter and is struggling to make an impact this year. the majority of portal OL guys are JAGs that couldn’t find consistent playing time at their previous schools.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mr. littlejeans said:

he was a good take and will probably (maybe?) be good for them eventually in his final season. but the general sentiment around here seems to be that the portal is the way to magically solve the o-line problems next season and those expectations should probably be tempered. morris was the best OL portal guy last season, a two-year SEC starter and is struggling to make an impact this year. the majority of portal OL guys are JAGs that couldn’t find consistent playing time at their previous schools.

The transfer portal is not going to be a bullet to fix a systemic OL issue. That unit is the one that benefits most from experience and cohesion which you get via reps together in the same system. Look at the transfer market to patch a discrete hole at a position or shore up depth. You aren’t going to cobble together OL pieces from the portal, bring them into spring ball, and trot out a dramatically improved unit. 

So I happened to click on a 247 article about Walter Nolan.  He's a 5-star DL from Powell, TN.  (I lived in Powell during my time in TN.)  Anyway, I was surprised to see his two favs as TN and aggy.  Then, I clicked on the article.  Notice a theme here?

A visit to College Station saw Texas A&M surge at the end of summer.

Texas A&M they kind of slid in here at the last moment and I’m still learning everybody,” Yolunda said. “It surprised me when my son wanted to go there. It was whoa where did they come from. Who is Coach Robinson? Now I’m getting to know them and I got an opportunity to go out and see the school and see a game and I’m eager to learn more about the school.”

Gotta be a record for number of top players that - completely out of nowhere - suddenly consider aggy.

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Buying players is something they've done for decades. How many championships have they won again?

I get it.  But they have a good shot at going back to back NY6, and have knocked off the #1 team even if they were sleeping thru it.  They've never exactly done that before, either.    Doesn't take too many Nolen types to get your foot in the door.  

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I get it.  But they have a good shot at going back to back NY6, and have knocked off the #1 team even if they were sleeping thru it.  They've never exactly done that before, either.    Doesn't take too many Nolen types to get your foot in the door.  

They also have a good shot of losing 2 more games

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

They also have a good shot of losing 2 more games

True. I don’t know if the lowered standards, or accepting more normal people have started to break their curse. I hope the fuck not.  Trying to snap out of my Satya but fucking Sark won’t let me. Myles Garrett kept them in games.  Leal has kept them in games.   Need to shut this shit down.  Alright, little bitch session over. 

15 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

They were on their way when they beat #1 Oklahoma with Reggie McNeal. How did that go for them?

could go differently this time, but let’s not act like it’s a sure thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Oh nothing is a sure thing.  But 5 years ago I would have bet the farm I would go (happily) to my grave having never watched them win.  Not so sure any more.  You don’t have to have an ‘05 Texas/USC or ‘01 Miami team to win it.  Just have to have the cards fall right. Anyhow, fuck them. Let’s outbid them on Nolen. 

21 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Oh nothing is a sure thing.  But 5 years ago I would have bet the farm I would go (happily) to my grave having never watched them win.  Not so sure any more.  You don’t have to have an ‘05 Texas/USC or ‘01 Miami team to win it.  Just have to have the cards fall right. Anyhow, fuck them. Let’s outbid them on Nolen. 

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They were on their way when they beat #1 Oklahoma with Reggie McNeal. How did that go for them?

People need to quit worrying so much about them. If they win, they win. It doesn't mean anything for Texas long-term. In fact, it might get our admin and boosters fired up.

21 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

People need to quit worrying so much about them. If they win, they win. It doesn't mean anything for Texas long-term. In fact, it might get our admin and boosters fired up.

Which BMD are you?  

If they win, they win can also be summed up as they’ve accomplished everything UT has in last 50 years, but not while the current recruits were 3 yo. 

Just now, Ricky Butler said:

I’m not a booster and I’m confused by your response. 

Your statement I quoted is inline with many of the people that could snap their fingers and make this shit end.  

Don’t worry about aggy.  Them winning doesn’t affect us. They’ll never win. We’ll be back. 

Honest question- 

How is it that when we lose "recruits don't look at wins and losses the same way fans do" so it's ok for us, but when aggy beats Bama once a decade all of the sudden they're in the hunt for all these recruits? Never mind they also lost to Arky and have no offense outside of that one win, when we have shown an offense, but an inept defense?

6 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Honest question- 

How is it that when we lose "recruits don't look at wins and losses the same way fans do" so it's ok for us, but when aggy beats Bama once a decade all of the sudden they're in the hunt for all these recruits? Never mind they also lost to Arky and have no offense outside of that one win, when we have shown an offense, but an inept defense?

And not to mention that relative to preseason expectations, their season is disappointing. They fell flat on their faces out of the gate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Your statement I quoted is inline with many of the people that could snap their fingers and make this shit end.  

Don’t worry about aggy.  Them winning doesn’t affect us. They’ll never win. We’ll be back. 

No, that's not what I'm saying. i'm saying Texas has Texas problems to solve. Worrying about A&M's success is an overly emotional thing that isn't as directly tied to our issues as we make it out to be.

2 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

No, that's not what I'm saying. i'm saying Texas has Texas problems to solve. Worrying about A&M's success is an overly emotional thing that isn't as directly tied to our issues as we make it out to be.

Unless of course we are battling for guys like Bryce Anderson or Evan Stewart, and they end up going to A&M. Recruiting against A&M is not a zero sum game, but Texas isn't operating in a vacuum either.

5 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Honest question- 

Probably made their jiz jar boosters willing to dig deeper.

• Haha 1