Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

So per ESPN, the A&M class has 9 of the Top 50 players in the country and 17 of the Top 150.  I can’t even fathom how obvious the cheating is and that’s what pisses me off.  I would love to know over the last 20 years which schools had a class with 9 of the Top 50 players in the country in it.   I am ecstatic about the UT class but seeing A&M cheat like this is pissing me off.

• Hook 'Em 5

With the NIL are we sure its cheating? Guess I'm just confused if you can keep NIL deals quiet. Seems like a big difference between paying guys to market a company or brand versus giving guys a bag and saying its NIL!! Either way I doubt the NCAA does shit. 

Texas rolled out an offensive line NIL deal and hey, it worked.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Loch Ness Monster said:

With the NIL are we sure its cheating? Guess I'm just confused if you can keep NIL deals quiet. Seems like a big difference between paying guys to market a company or brand versus giving guys a bag and saying its NIL!! Either way I doubt the NCAA does shit. 

Texas rolled out an offensive line NIL deal and hey, it worked.

You cannot offer NIL deals to high school players in Texas. So yes its cheating

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So per ESPN, the A&M class has 9 of the Top 50 players in the country and 17 of the Top 150.  I can’t even fathom how obvious the cheating is and that’s what pisses me off.  I would love to know over the last 20 years which schools had a class with 9 of the Top 50 players in the country in it.   I am ecstatic about the UT class but seeing A&M cheat like this is pissing me off.

In 2010, we had 9 of the top 75, and 15 of the top 143.

(Yeah, the aggie stuff ticks me off too ... )

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

The Texas OL NIL deal helped with offensive line recruiting though. Not paying them before they arrive on campus but making it clear they will get a future bag.

Maybe the aggies did something similar but for far more recruits.

Dropping money off to recruits and calling it NIL makes it neither legal nor NIL.  

that’s what they are doing and they literally think they are just that far ahead of everyone else.   There are a few in the cult who actually aren’t stupid and they know what they are doing, and it’s by design.   But the vast majority just think it’s all good now that paying players has become legal, have no idea that doesn’t apply to recruits and have no concept of compliance.  

4 minutes ago, AntsInMyPants said:

A&M is playing the NIL game smarter than everyone else. You can bitch and moan all you want, but they are ahead of us. Our OL package is us (finally) trying to catch up.

If you weren’t a troll, I’d be interested in your reasoning behind this post. We know there are a lot of aggies who are fucking stupid enough to believe what you typed.

Those NIL deals just come together in a couple of days, as we all know. 

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Well I’m drunk so maybe. But fuck aggy. We have posters here that could lead that type of class to very very good seasons. 

What you said about their class is true, but they are aggy and chances are they will fuck it up.    Maybe they won’t, but there’s over 80 years of evidence that says they will.  

Just now, Treefidy said:

What you said about their class is true, but they are aggy and chances are they will fuck it up.    Maybe they won’t, but there’s over 80 years of evidence that says they will.  

There's also plenty of evidence with Jimbo. 

Next season when aggy goes 7-5 to 9-3 we will be right back here with the same discussion. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Yet, Jimbo has been averaging over 3 losses a year in conference the last 6 seasons with highly ranked classes. 

I’d be interested to see where those #4-8 classes land all time. Good classes for any given year, sure. Are they top 50 all time?   

2 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

That’s hard to argue. Before last year you could say they don’t do shit in bowl season either. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Lucky draw with UNC having like 5 of their best players sit out. It would have been a L otherwise. 

aggy won't have that same luck this bowl season. 

Yeah I know I watched it.  Is what it is, tho. It’s a NY6 win. Same as us in the Sugar.  I don’t know, we can bury our heads in the sand I’m just finding it very difficult to imagine them not capitalizing on this. Even if not a NC, I’d give my left nut to string off several NY6 bowls right now. And I thinks that’s the floor for them with classes like this one. 

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’d be interested to see where those #4-8 classes land all time. Good classes for any given year, sure. Are they top 50 all time?   

That’s hard to argue. Before last year you could say they don’t do shit in bowl season either. 

NC had 3 players that totaled 41 tds in the regular season sit for the bowl game

4FA6552C-9199-4291-8B84-6709C0C17EC4.jpeg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

He’s not even close to the worst coach they have ever had, but he took multiple top 3 classes at FSU who was on a run under Bowden and ran the program into the ground.    They had fucking bear Bryant as a coach and he couldn’t win there.  

it’s not sustainable in CS because the culture there is toxic especially for modern athletes.  They aren’t going to have the 5-7 seasons many here predict because they have 4-5 built in wins under their SEC scheduling.  But they also won’t have that magic season they are trying to buy either.  

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I know I watched it.  Is what it is, tho. It’s a NY6 win. Same as us in the Sugar.  I don’t know, we can bury our heads in the sand I’m just finding it very difficult to imagine them not capitalizing on this. Even if not a NC, I’d give my left nut to string off several NY6 bowls right now. And I thinks that’s the floor for them with classes like this one. 

You're right, Texas A&M is going to win a million games in a row and every national championship from now until you die.

Will you shut up now?

Since 2016 (6 seasons) Jimbo is 21-19 in conference play excluding the Covid year.

These are the conference teams that Jimbo beat in the Covid year-

Vanderbilt 0-9

Florida 8-4

Miss State 3-7

Arkansas 3-7

South Carolina 2-8

LSU 5-5

Auburn 6-5

Tennessee 3-7

I can't believe there are still people that think Jimbo is a good coach capable of maximizing talent. Outside of the random Covid year where Jimbo played complete trash, he's been wasting talent at a level even worse than Mack did at the end of his tenure at Texas. 

Unless Jimbo is willing to hire an OC his offense is no longer good enough like it was 8 to 10 years ago. The game has changed. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Lol, that's their floor? 

They've only played in 1 NY6 bowl game under Jimbo in 4 seasons. The same as Herman. 

Here are three things I'll be keeping a watch on, 

- DC hire

- QB play (do they get one whom they can count on to win them multiple games against tough opponents?  Is Conner Weigman that guy?)

- OL development 

They could be average in some areas, but if they're significantly deficient in any of the above, that would likely prevent them from going all the way to a championship.  Pull off an upset or two, but not go all the way.

In order to win an NC, they will still have to likely win 4 tough games - Bama, Georgia (in the near term) in the SEC championship game, and two playoff games.  (And pretty soon, we could be in a similar or more challenging situation ... )

In the interim, lets focus on getting better ourselves. 

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Fishers floor is 4 losses as evidenced the fact hes lost at least that many losses in 4 of the last 5. Especially with the addition of Charles Kelly and an offense that only scores 35+ against FCS and South Carolina every year. 

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

- DC hire

- QB play (do they get one whom they can count on to win them multiple games against tough opponents?  Is Conner Weigman that guy?)

- OL development 

They could be average in some areas, but if they're significantly deficient in any of the above, that would likely prevent them from going all the way to a championship.  Pull off an upset or two, but not go all the way.

In order to win an NC, they will still have to likely win 4 tough games - Bama, Georgia (in the near term) in the SEC championship game, and two playoff games.  (And pretty soon, we could be in a similar or more challenging situation ... )

The biggest thing to keep an eye on is if Jimbo ever hires an OC. 

See Ole Miss and Miss State this year. Jimbo still tries to win low scoring games but that doesn't work against these high powered offenses. His entire philosophy is 10 years behind. Even Saban realized that he had to adjust.

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

- DC hire

- OL development 

They are building the Clemson way. That is building a D Line that can single handedly win games and through an offense that controls the ball. Clemson had generational qbs so they were able to win multiple championships. Otherwise they would have looked like they did this year in the ACC. As good as Weigman seems to be on paper he's just not a generational QB prospect.

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The biggest thing to keep an eye on is if Jimbo ever hires an OC. 

See Ole Miss and Miss State this year. Jimbo still tries to win low scoring games but that doesn't work against these high powered offenses. His entire philosophy is 10 years behind. Even Saban realized that he had to adjust.

Yeah ... at least in the foreseeable future, the chances of his installing a real OC and permitting a significant change in offensive system and philosophy are small.  But if he does, yep, could be trouble.

(Which make what Saban did - granted, he's a defensive guy, but still - all the more remarkable.)

• Hook 'Em 1

If you have the answers to the test but you always made grades in the 80’s, your teacher would know you cheated when you aced the exam. 

Don’t tell me a team that went 8-4 and doesn’t use their receivers much can just nab the #1 receiver in the country for the second time in 2-3 years. 

People can say that it’s shocking for Texas to be in the top 5 and maybe they’re right but Texas NIL’s are in the press. Why arent a&m’s NIL’s in the press?  

Edited by XForce
Grammar is a bitch

3 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

They are building the Clemson way. That is building a D Line that can single handedly win games and through an offense that controls the ball. Clemson had generational qbs so they were able to win multiple championships. Otherwise they would have looked like they did this year in the ACC. As good as Weigman seems to be on paper he's just not a generational QB prospect.

Yep -

- 6  years of elite QB play

- a decade of stability and competence at DC

- a solid OC

All open questions at aggy.  Can't definitively say they won't be good; just don't know yet.

Every team that cheats the Saban way ends up pretty good. It shows that talent is nearly as important as coaching. Oregon, Georgia, Alabama all prove that you can have a pretty good record if you buy top players. In fact, it is pretty hard to name a team that finishes consistently in the top 5 with a class full of high 5 star guys that has a bad record. Yeah, Texas but we were losing with mainly 4 stars not the very top end guys, we didn't recruit consistently, and we had holes all over the roster. If A&M continues to get these kind of classes, they will be good. It is pretty hard not to be.

I had a discussion with Macklin on the topic of NIL, and I think we are seeing the end of college football. None of this has anything to do with college or university life. The teams that spend the most will win and the teams that spend the least will lose. It takes the fun out of the sport for me. The NCAA is useless to stop it so enjoyment for the non-top 20 schools is the occasional upset of a team like Texas or Michigan by KSU, ISU, Indiana, or Purdue. This means interest from 3/4ths of D1 will wane and the sport will become marginalized. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't get the same enjoyment from buying guys and then watching them win. I would rather be doing a million other things. OTOH, maybe I am a hypocrite and will watch the hell out of Texas when we beat up on the sister schools in a few years. It is hard to say, but I feel like I am losing interest.      semi-rant over.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Every team that cheats the Saban way ends up pretty good. It shows that talent is nearly as important as coaching. Oregon, Georgia, Alabama all prove that you can have a pretty good record if you buy top players. In fact, it is pretty hard to name a team that finishes consistently in the top 5 with a class full of high 5 star guys that has a bad record. Yeah, Texas but we were losing with mainly 4 stars not the very top end guys, we didn't recruit consistently, and we had holes all over the roster. If A&M continues to get these kind of classes, they will be good. It is pretty hard not to be.

I had a discussion with Macklin on the topic of NIL, and I think we are seeing the end of college football. None of this has anything to do with college or university life. The teams that spend the most will win and the teams that spend the least will lose. It takes the fun out of the sport for me. The NCAA is useless to stop it so enjoyment for the non-top 20 schools is the occasional upset of a team like Texas or Michigan by KSU, ISU, Indiana, or Purdue. This means interest from 3/4ths of D1 will wane and the sport will become marginalized. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't get the same enjoyment from buying guys and then watching them win. I would rather be doing a million other things. OTOH, maybe I am a hypocrite and will watch the hell out of Texas when we beat up on the sister schools in a few years. It is hard to say, but I feel like I am losing interest.      semi-rant over.

I agree with your second paragraph. College football outside of a few teams relies on alumni and others with connections to the school.  I think interest even at nominal P5 schools is about to fall off a cliff because the gap between haves and have nots is so enormous. It’s not fun when your team isn’t even theoretically in the running. 

The new model has taken basically all of the cutthroat elements of pro sports with none of the counterweights in place to keep competition in place. The transfer rule is a good a good example— even in the pros you don’t get to be a free agent EVERY year. 

I would have honestly preferred to see a much more progressive model— unionized NCAA players and a collective bargain agreement in the classic sense.  A percentage of all FBS revenue goes into a player fund. That fund is divided up based on being on a roster and seniority, regardless of team and conference. A senior makes more than a junior and so on. And I’d also look for a better transfer balance, like maybe you get one free on after two years on a roster, and one free grad transfer year. I think that would have been a good balance of fair to the players while preserving the sport. 

Sports is better when there is competition, even if as a fan you want to win every game 100-0.

• Like 1

Walter Nolan said it had nothing to do with NIL (money), it all had to do with the way he plays football and how it matches A&Ms play (although there is no way to know that since they don’t have a DC). Are y’all calling Walter a liar???

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

Haves and havenots will always be in college football. Look at the recruiting rankings. It’s the same teams for the most part. Those same teams are always battling for the same players. Now those players will get paid. There are still plenty of players to go around to other schools. What you didn’t mention is the portal. What’s to keep a G5 player that balls out from going to a P5 because of NIL $ ? Only time will tell how often that happens. 

9 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

The Texas OL NIL deal helped with offensive line recruiting though. Not paying them before they arrive on campus but making it clear they will get a future bag.

Maybe the aggies did something similar but for far more recruits.

They didn’t. You don’t know how this works at all, so stop speculating. Please. 

9 hours ago, AntsInMyPants said:

A&M is playing the NIL game smarter than everyone else. You can bitch and moan all you want, but they are ahead of us. Our OL package is us (finally) trying to catch up.

See post above. Hopefully you’ve been sourced by now, because you don’t know shit. 

1 hour ago, EZ$ said:

Walter Nolan said it had nothing to do with NIL (money), it all had to do with the way he plays football and how it matches A&Ms play (although there is no way to know that since they don’t have a DC). Are y’all calling Walter a liar???

That and 500k.

• Hook 'Em 3

Secrant and EKG take on why aggy did so well in recruiting:

It's a perfect storm. 

First off as much as folks here don't like to talk about it A&M is the biggest school in the SEC, is a fantastic school academically, has the largest stadium with an amazing environment, and is in a great location. A&M has been investing BIG in facilities and pretty much everything related to football since joining the SEC, they are certainly equal to anyone. They also refined the recruiting process and experience for players to a science and have unlimited budget for it. 

A&M went to the Orange Bowl and finished #4 the prior year which got most of these guys interested originally. 

This is a ridiculous year for talent in Texas and especially the Houston area. In the end most kids would rather be an hour from home rather than having to fly to school. 

A&M got a few big early commits including Bobby Taylor who turned into the best recruiter Jimbo could ask for, he's been recruiting harder than our coaches. 

Last Summer we had a BBQ/Pool Party where we got 10 of these guys on campus, most of which had not seriously considered A&M prior, and it was a huge hit. 

A&M had a disappointing season overall but from a recruits perspective all 4 of our losses were winnable games that one or two players could have made the difference, especially better QB play. 

We managed to put all our chips in the middle for the Bama game and got some big guys to come, especially Nolen who we were on the outside looking in. Literally was the best recruiting event you can imagine for obvious reasons and it turned the tide (unintentional pun). 

We followed up the Bama game with huge recruiting weekends for Auburn and South Carolina that also had great environments. 

LSU had a bad season and coaching change. Texas had a terrible season. OU had a complete disaster with the Riley fiasco. That left A&M with really just Bama and UGA to compete with for a lot of recruits and A&M beat Bama and had momentum. A&M all of a sudden became the cool new choice. 

I'm also sure we are throwing around NIL money as much as any other big boy school. I find it almost humorous though when folks act like A&M is spending more than Bama or UGA or Texas or LSU or Ohio State and that's why recruits are coming there there though. A 5 Star is going to get paid anywhere they go. Maybe A&M offered more, maybe not, it's just not likely the factor most think. 

Of course I'm guessing most of the responses will be about $$$$ or Milkmen or something.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

It's a perfect storm. 

First off as much as folks here don't like to talk about it A&M is the biggest school in the SEC, is a fantastic school academically, has the largest stadium with an amazing environment, and is in a great location. A&M has been investing BIG in facilities and pretty much everything related to football since joining the SEC, they are certainly equal to anyone. They also refined the recruiting process and experience for players to a science and have unlimited budget for it. 

A&M went to the Orange Bowl and finished #4 the prior year which got most of these guys interested originally. 

This is a ridiculous year for talent in Texas and especially the Houston area. In the end most kids would rather be an hour from home rather than having to fly to school. 

A&M got a few big early commits including Bobby Taylor who turned into the best recruiter Jimbo could ask for, he's been recruiting harder than our coaches. 

Last Summer we had a BBQ/Pool Party where we got 10 of these guys on campus, most of which had not seriously considered A&M prior, and it was a huge hit. 

A&M had a disappointing season overall but from a recruits perspective all 4 of our losses were winnable games that one or two players could have made the difference, especially better QB play. 

We managed to put all our chips in the middle for the Bama game and got some big guys to come, especially Nolen who we were on the outside looking in. Literally was the best recruiting event you can imagine for obvious reasons and it turned the tide (unintentional pun). 

We followed up the Bama game with huge recruiting weekends for Auburn and South Carolina that also had great environments. 

LSU had a bad season and coaching change. Texas had a terrible season. OU had a complete disaster with the Riley fiasco. That left A&M with really just Bama and UGA to compete with for a lot of recruits and A&M beat Bama and had momentum. A&M all of a sudden became the cool new choice. 

I'm also sure we are throwing around NIL money as much as any other big boy school. I find it almost humorous though when folks act like A&M is spending more than Bama or UGA or Texas or LSU or Ohio State and that's why recruits are coming there there though. A 5 Star is going to get paid anywhere they go. Maybe A&M offered more, maybe not, it's just not likely the factor most think. 

Of course I'm guessing most of the responses will be about $$$$ or Milkmen or something.

Dark mode anyone?

They can do all that well. But if they want to keep doing all that well, they should probably back off Stewart. If a kid from Opa-locka commits to them after Cristobal gets hired at Miami, then they are really paying out. I can see Cristobal making waves because of it. Not saying he doesn’t do it, but there are ways for him to blow it up. They have enough committed at that spot so they would be risking a lot for him. Going to hope they get him just to see what happens. 

27 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

It's a perfect storm. 

93D08ABC-6557-4867-A184-C7F452FD0D25.gif

A32E6EEC-0087-4518-B48A-B9FFB7392149.gif

6C86C901-75EC-45D5-8579-5A773E782550.gif

80EE0618-4AB9-4848-AC4A-CAE04FDCFDBF.jpeg

• Haha 2