Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

34 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I re-watched the App. State highlights and noticed a couple of things.

1)  aggy defense was in a 3-man front a LOT.  Interesting since Dumbo said the scheme would stay the same, but Durkin has ran a lot of 3-man fronts in the past.

2)  Reuben Fatheree got absolutely abused by the App. EDGE/OLB.

If PFF grades are to be believed - Fatheree has significantly regressed from last year (72.4 last year vs. 56.5 this season).  I've seen several aggy fans talk about Foster coming back as some sort of panacea for their OL troubles - but that seems ludicrous given how poorly he looked to end their season - and that he took time away from football and allegedly considered quitting.

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, I think the toughest three games are following Miami. 

Arkansas on a neutral field

AT Miss State

At Alabama 

Think they pull out win vs U.  Then lose next 3.  Ole Miss has serious ground attack.  Toss up at best.  

Loss at s. Carolina.  

They'll definitely beat U Mass... 

5 wins max?

9 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

SC offense is terrible.  They can’t run the ball and have to rely on Rattler making plays.  We’ve seen how that goes.  Cripple fight, toss up.  

I'm assuming ugly loss to Ole Miss after getting sodomized by Bama... then have to go on road.  Borderline revolt on ritz bitz hands by then.

49 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

If PFF grades are to be believed - Fatheree has significantly regressed from last year (72.4 last year vs. 56.5 this season).  I've seen several aggy fans talk about Foster coming back as some sort of panacea for their OL troubles - but that seems ludicrous given how poorly he looked to end their season - and that he took time away from football and allegedly considered quitting.

And they're not even in conference play yet. Mother of God.

4 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Yeah I saw it. Trust me, I want more than anything for what you are saying to be true. I want the wheels to fall off in spectacular fashion while Reveille takes a shit in Jimbo's shoe at halftime. but they are going to win some games we don't think they will. It happens every year. It may be ugly, and they may have the most boring team to watch in history, but they will eek out a few wins. They are never as bad as we think they will be, they are just also never as good as they think they will be. All I am saying is that I can see them winning this weekend. But even if they do, they are still fucked and they are locked in to Jimbo for another 10 years and the noise is going to get very very loud coming out of CStat this season.

Never underestimate the power of locker room discord.  They might be brewing the perfect storm of taking so many big personalities and character risks along with hiring 2 complete shitbags as assistants all this past year.

This year just feels different than their usual 8-4.

and now some BMAs are openly questioning if Jimbo is the guy.   Heard from a couple yesterday and if they are openly discussing it with a sip then things are getting loud in the inner circles.   They shrugged off the buyout and didn’t speculate on replacements, but they are coming to terms with all the things we knew about the grifter.  Honeymoon is over, that’s for certain.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m predicting a rock fight on Saturday. Both teams have really good defensive lines. Damn near impossible to say where Miami’s offense is given their schedule, but they can’t be worse than aggy. 

According to App State, and PFF, aggies D-Line not so good

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

1)  aggy defense was in a 3-man front a LOT. 

It brings me back to these comments. 

Spoiler

“Defensive coordinators don’t bring in new schemes," Fisher said last month. "You ain’t changing everything. We’re going to run what we run.

"Recruits know the system is going to stay the same and four of your assistants are going to stay the same."

This never made any sense to me. So you bring in a defensive coordinator that's run a lot of 3 man fronts but then say "the system is going to stay the same" because we're keeping all the assistants from the previous defensive coordinator? 

This is dysfunctional. Either let Durkin run his defense with assistants that fit his scheme or bring in a defensive coordinator that runs primarily 4 man fronts that fit this defensive staff better. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It brings me back to these comments. 

Hide contents

“Defensive coordinators don’t bring in new schemes," Fisher said last month. "You ain’t changing everything. We’re going to run what we run.

"Recruits know the system is going to stay the same and four of your assistants are going to stay the same."

This never made any sense to me. So you bring in a defensive coordinator that's run a lot of 3 man fronts but then say "the system is going to stay the same" because we're keeping all the assistants from the previous defensive coordinator? 

This is dysfunctional. Either let Durkin run his defense with assistants that fit his scheme or bring in a defensive coordinator that runs primarily 4 man fronts that fit this defensive staff better. 

And this is why it was so dumb for DL recruits to pick aggy when they didn't even know who the DC was going to be 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

I really don't understand the "defensive coordinators don't bring in new schemes."

Does Jimbo think all DC's run the same schemes? This guy is a blabbering moron the more I hear him speak. I believe Jimbo truly believed he could just bring any DC in, regardless of scheme, and run the same defense as Elko with his assistants. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I really don't understand the "defensive coordinators don't bring in new schemes."

Does Jimbo think all DC's run the same schemes? This guy is a blabbering moron the more I hear him speak. I believe Jimbo truly believed he could just bring any DC in, regardless of scheme, and run the same defense as Elko with his assistants. 

Not so different than LSU fans who swore up and down that their octogenarian OC would be able to produce the same results as Joe Brady because he had 'the playbook' - except that Jimbo is being paid 100 million dollars to know better.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Didn’t he have a first round pick next to him?

Jimbo has himself in a bad place... he either starts Johnson and admits his "#1" guy was wrong and he hasn't developed him enough and resorted to having to use an LSU throw away QB, keeps King in knowing the hate he's going to get because everyone has seen he's the not right guy... or start Weigman and kill the kid behind their bad o-line while losing a bunch of games this season while the kid (if he survives) gets his feet under him.

Starting Johnson is the only rational route, but we know Jimbo's can let go of his "QB whisperer" / "offensive guru" laughable tags because starting Johnson does just that.

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Didn’t he have a first round pick next to him?

According to the PFF charts - Green played the majority of his snaps at LG.  Layden Robinson was the full time RG next to Fatheree. Robinson was also PFF's highest rated OL on that team last year - graded ahead of Green (80.7 vs. a 79.6 for Green). 

This year Robinson has by far the worst grade of all the OL at a 45.2.

2021 Grade Vs. 2022 Grade for OL

RT R. Fatheree  72.4 >>> 56.5 

RG L. Robinson  80.7 >>>  45.2

OC B. Foster  69.2 >>> M. Wykoff 70.7

LG K. Green  79.6 >>>  A. Ogunbiyi 60.5

LT J. Johnson  60.9 >>>  T. Zuhn  68.2

Line Avg  2021 - 72.56

Line Avg 2022 - 60.22

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't think he believes that. He just knows they peaked last year and hopes nobody noticed. Why try when you get raises for 8-4 seasons?

4 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

I don't think he believes that. He just knows they peaked last year and hopes nobody noticed. Why try when you get raises for 8-4 seasons?

I still have no idea why they were ranked 6th when they had nothing at QB and lost their top RB and a 1st round OL along with multiple starters on defense. 

Makes it much more fun to watch though. They framed this team as something it couldn't possibly be, now they look like a big disappointment.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m predicting a rock fight on Saturday. Both teams have really good defensive lines. Damn near impossible to say where Miami’s offense is given their schedule, but they can’t be worse than aggy. 

The key to beating a&m theast couple years is an above average QB. Their defense can shut down a run first offense but a QB that can make intermediate throws has given them fits. Last year the only good QB they beat was Young and that was an anomaly. Van Dyke seems good enough to make throws against this secondary and then open it up for their solid RBs. 

5 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I still have no idea why they were ranked 6th when they had nothing at QB and lost their top RB and a 1st round OL along with multiple starters on defense. 

Makes it much more fun to watch though. They framed this team as something it couldn't possibly be, now they look like a big disappointment.

The roller coaster can't come crashing down if it never goes up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I think they thought they'd go into Bama as a 1 loss team at worst and a top 10 match-up.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

According to the PFF charts - Green played the majority of his snaps at LG.  Layden Robinson was the full time RG next to Fatheree. Robinson was also PFF's highest rated OL on that team last year - graded ahead of Green (80.7 vs. a 79.6 for Green). 

Line Avg  2021 - 72.56

Line Avg 2022 - 60.22

The Addazio Effect.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

He's going to go down as the worst coaching contract in CFB history.  His buyout today is close to $90M.  It's fantastic.  If you remember @ FSU, he quickly turns into a cunt when the fans turn on him.  This is going to be great watching this go down.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

44 minutes ago, Atticus said:

40 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It was interesting to watch the media (AP poll) pick them 6, then have other media immediately discuss them being overrated.  It does make for a fun dichotomy when they start whining about media bias. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Same.

I opined somewhere else that it's because nobody really cares enough about them to look closely.

The surface story is that their ace QB was sidelined last year and Calzada was a poor replacement. I have no doubt that they'd be better with Calzada now. 

The other surface story was that the team that beat Bama last year was the real team and the one that lost to the Mississippis and Arkansas was the outlier. Remember Jake, it's sportswriters.

Add their spectacular recruiting class and sheen on top of the cess pool looks pretty damn good.

I think the illusion is still somewhat in place. They just need to bring out the great QB they're hiding on the bench, play like they did in their fluke win, and flood the field with 5-stars.

It may take another poor showing for people to start believing their own eyes. The Aggies don't have a servicable QB. (I think King beat out the other guys, and I doubt his father is much of a factor in Jimbo's reckoning.) They are the team that genuinely got beat by App State. Their 5-stars are playing. 

The thing that encouraged me about Texas in the opener was the verve and teamwork. The Aggies look sorta like we have in years where we thought we would be good and then just sucked. 

Quandre Diggs' remark about some of the players not loving football sounded apt. I think that's A&M right now. 

I'm sure the open letters from the 12th Man will clear this up directly. That and some spirited nut squeezing and urging people to grow a "pear."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Same.

I opined somewhere else that it's because nobody really cares enough about them to look closely.

The surface story is that their ace QB was sidelined last year and Calzada was a poor replacement. I have no doubt that they'd be better with Calzada now. 

The other surface story was that the team that beat Bama last year was the real team and the one that lost to the Mississippis and Arkansas was the outlier. Remember Jake, it's sportswriters.

Add their spectacular recruiting class and sheen on top of the cess pool looks pretty damn good.

I think the illusion is still somewhat in place. They just need to bring out the great QB they're hiding on the bench, play like they did in their fluke win, and flood the field with 5-stars.

It may take another poor showing for people to start believing their own eyes. The Aggies don't have a servicable QB. (I think King beat out the other guys, and I doubt his father is much of a factor in Jimbo's reckoning.) They are the team that genuinely got beat by App State. Their 5-stars are playing. 

The thing that encouraged me about Texas in the opener was the verve and teamwork. The Aggies look sorta like we have in years where we thought we would be good and then just sucked. 

Quandre Diggs' remark about some of the players not loving football sounded apt. I think that's A&M right now. 

I'm sure the open letters from the 12th Man will clear this up directly. That and some spirited nut squeezing and urging people to grow a "pear."

Not so sure about QB.  I think he is playing King in an effort to secure Hale's commitment 9/21.  Johnson would be a definite upgrade imo.

1 minute ago, cochamps said:

Not so sure about QB.  I think he is playing King in an effort to secure Hale's commitment 9/21.  Johnson would be a definite upgrade imo.

Yea, I've read that from people who follow recruiting closely and, frankly, know more than I do about most things related to the process. However, does it really fit Jimbo's personality, such as it is, to bend over backward to stay in the good graces of a HS coach or put games on the line to woo a single recruit?

Even though Jimbo can't be denied his huge salary, I would expect he wants to win enough to remain godlike to Aggies, and it's a pretty low bar.

I think his decisions are based on what he thinks will win games. He seems to be wrong a lot, but I don't think his motivation is otherwise. 

8 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Watch the Fatheree clip above to see why he's playing King. 

When a 3 man rush is consistently able to beat a 5 man OL you need a QB that can scramble. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

6 minutes ago, cochamps said:

No way. Coaches don’t think like that- that’s  fan board stuff. No 1 individual mid 4 star recruit is going to be the cause of a QB decision. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Line Avg  2021 - 72.56

Line Avg 2022 - 60.22

Do you have the line avg numbers for LSU last year? 

What's the comparison between LSU's offensive line last year compared to A&M's offensive line this year? Just for some perspective on Max Johnson. 

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Do you have the line avg numbers for LSU last year? 

What's the comparison between LSU's offensive line last year compared to A&M's offensive line this year? Just for some perspective on Max Johnson. 

The LT and RG spots for LSU had multiple starters throughout the year - but I chose the players with the most snaps at each position:

image.png.c61fdd87d3d8c34004ea7007e39d38c2.png

• Hook 'Em 1