Gary P. Nunn: A Texas Treasure

hullabelew

Apparently, there were about 600 Texans who made the trek to see him do "The Last Thing I Needed, The First Thing This Morning" and "London Homesick Blues".    I'm not ashamed to admit I shed a tear when the crowd was singing along.  He was the only artist to get a standing ovation.  He actually got 2 of them.  

I can't believe he has never played the Opry before, but that horrible wrong has now been corrected.    I'm still flying from the weekend.  

• Like 2

I've probably seen him 20 times in the past 40 years. He's quite something, though I have to say that the last couple of times I've seen him I thought that his voice was diminished ---- understandably so, of course. I've taken many photos of him, of course, but this one is perhaps my favorite because it was at a classic old dance hall and I was standing outside in a fairly heavy rain while Gary was up onstage and I caught him through the open window.

i-h2nwzKR.jpg

• Like 8

one of my biggest regrets is that I never took the time to go watch him play at his monthly gig at Blanco's in Houston.  It was always one of those - we'll get to it someday things.  Then the bastards tore Blanco's down.  I did get to see him perform on Texas Independence Day party at the ROCC one year and dance the night away with the wife. Always loved this tune.

Edited by MAROON
  • Like 1

When I worked at Sound Warehouse management instituted a quaint short lived policy of matching IDs to credit card users. Two days in, checking out customers I did my obligatory "Can I see your ID?" I looked at the name and pic on the drivers license, looked up at Gary P Nunn. "Oh. You're Gary P Nunn. I'm sorry." He was a good sport. I never checked another ID after that.

I've probably seen him 20 times in the past 40 years. He's quite something, though I have to say that the last couple of times I've seen him I thought that his voice was diminished ---- understandably so, of course. I've taken many photos of him, of course, but this one is perhaps my favorite because it was at a classic old dance hall and I was standing outside in a fairly heavy rain while Gary was up onstage and I caught him through the open window.

i-h2nwzKR.jpg

Wow, what a great shot

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

He's retiring at the end of this year. 

It's my understanding he's "retiring" from touring and what-not. This will free him up to play fewer shows for more money. We're still hoping to have him for our deal.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In 1999, I was sitting at the bar after hours at Blaine's Pub in San Angelo.  Blaine had put on a festival that day, and one of my friends was playing the festival.  I had spent most of the day drinking backstage at the festival and rest of the day drinking at Blaine's so I was pretty relaxed. I look to the set next to me and it was none other than Gary P.   We got a pretty good conversation going and eventually I asked him about one of my favorite songs London Homesick Blues.  I said it sounded like a pretty good story happened over London.  He responded with "Actually Kegman there was quite a story.   I had just left Jerry Jeff and ......."  That was the last thing I remember other than afterwards thinking damn, that was a cool story.  Pissed that I had forgotten the story, I got my buddy to ask about it the next time he played with Gary.  Unfortunately, my friend also forgot the story before he could relay it to me.  

29 minutes ago, kegman said:

In 1999, I was sitting at the bar after hours at Blaine's Pub in San Angelo.  Blaine had put on a festival that day, and one of my friends was playing the festival.  I had spent most of the day drinking backstage at the festival and rest of the day drinking at Blaine's so I was pretty relaxed. I look to the set next to me and it was none other than Gary P.   We got a pretty good conversation going and eventually I asked him about one of my favorite songs London Homesick Blues.  I said it sounded like a pretty good story happened over London.  He responded with "Actually Kegman there was quite a story.   I had just left Jerry Jeff and ......."  That was the last thing I remember other than afterwards thinking damn, that was a cool story.  Pissed that I had forgotten the story, I got my buddy to ask about it the next time he played with Gary.  Unfortunately, my friend also forgot the story before he could relay it to me.  

So really this is a story about you and your friend fucking up in the presence of greatness? 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So really this is a story about you and your friend fucking up in the presence of greatness? 

exactly.  Although, I do think it illustrates how cool Gary P is in that he tolerated our fucking up.  

• Hook 'Em 1

After an eventful night at the Houston rodeo (do they still have the hideout?) me and others went to Blanco’s to wind down.  

Ended up drinking with GPN at the bar while 2 of my friends, who were married at the time, made out on the stools next to us.  They were not married to each other.  I kept nudging them and saying things like “hey, I got GPN over here - stop fucking around.”

They we’re undeterred.

And, I can’t really tell that story in my circle of friends because… married people.

• 1 year later...

csb: 

In the early 80's and going thru a divorce I discovered GPN...ran into him performing at a honkytonk in Ruidoso and also The Motherlode in Red River, both places after partaking more than few apres ski libations (thus the divorce inclusion). Good dude, knew many mutual people from my area of N TX. Very patient with inebriates. 

IMO his best vinyl:

image.png.265ce6c8dafa1a90739c1a7c3ae0f984.png

18 hours ago, tejas60 said:

I have 2 tickets to see Gary P. in Bandera for NYE if anyone's interested. Friends won't be able to make it. you'll have to sit by me.

$85 a piece. you get a bottle of champaigne (if I remember correctly), VIP tickets (table), meet-n-greet bs....

Is this at 11th Street Cowboy Bar? I think I mentioned it further up thread but we had Gary P play our charity BBQ in Dallas a couple of years back. His manager De Foster is a long-time friend of a close friend of mine and he helped us with marketing/publicity. De and I got to be buddies working our our event. Around the time of our event, he bought 11th Street Cowboy Bar. I haven't made it by there yet but I hear he's done a good job with it. Dude knows everybody in the Texas music scene.