Surly C-Suite, CxO's

Rougarou

We have various meta-threads for various business functions (though I'd like to see a management consulting meta-thread like you see at WSO), but thought it would be interesting to be a fly on the wall and hear what you old amazing businesspeople are doing well, or struggle with, or need help with or whatever-- especially for those who aspire to one day sit in your seat.

Fully aware that this might be tough to have a good discussion around due to the sensitive nature of these things and the privacy concerns and finding out that Mr.Phlegm or Derka or some other polarizing poster who is inflammatory is a CEO somewhere, so this thread might be a fail fast candidate, but if there are enough power brokers on this site as there should be (University of Texas alumni, after all) then I think business folks in industry would be better for the discussion.

I'll hang up and listen now.

The glare from my south facing office window is really horrible in the late afternoon, sometimes (rarely) I wish my office was on the 30th floor instead of the penthouse so the sun would be blocked by other buildings. Fortunately the other windows are east facing and I don’t show up til 10ish most days. Any idea how to fix the glare issue?

And how do you motivate the poors who work for you? Lazy bastards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I was once the COO of a startup, which means I was also the janitor.

On the other hand, i know two guys that were literally tech support (like crawling under desks to connect monitors and shit) who both became CEOs of two not-insignificant companies. Tragically one of those guys died of a heart attack.

I knew WAY too many mouth breathers from undergrad and grad school who spent their entire careers chasing titles and doing very little in the way of actual work.  One that stands out from B-school was a guy that went in hard on a GPS/location-type phone app after getting let go from his corporate gig.  He gave himself some C-suite BS title that looked moderately impressive on a resume/LinkedIn for an app that fizzled and died.  It was antiquated software solution in search of a problem it really didn't address in the first place.  Fell flat on his ass.  

Another girl that moved to Boston for a title for a tiny little company doing what she did before (marketing manager), but for 3-5 people.  Again, C-suite title.  

These are the people you need to watch out for.  They jump from corporate gig to gig, then you see this title spike from "Analyst" or "manager" to CFO, CTO, Chief Managing Officer, Etc.  Many are probably warranted, but it's when they bounce, title grab, then come back to the corporate rat-race that I start digging into then when our paths cross.  Maybe they did hang the moon....but you also have to realize the roles/responsibilities of a start-up and a publicly traded company are often quite different.  Even today, your reputation is everything - and if I can't find people that will vouch for a proven track record of success, that's a problem.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I knew WAY too many mouth breathers from undergrad and grad school who spent their entire careers chasing titles and doing very little in the way of actual work.  One that stands out from B-school was a guy that went in hard on a GPS/location-type phone app after getting let go from his corporate gig.  He gave himself some C-suite BS title that looked moderately impressive on a resume/LinkedIn for an app that fizzled and died.  It was antiquated software solution in search of a problem it really didn't address in the first place.  Fell flat on his ass.  

Another girl that moved to Boston for a title for a tiny little company doing what she did before (marketing manager), but for 3-5 people.  Again, C-suite title.  

These are the people you need to watch out for.  They jump from corporate gig to gig, then you see this title spike from "Analyst" or "manager" to CFO, CTO, Chief Managing Officer, Etc.  Many are probably warranted, but it's when they bounce, title grab, then come back to the corporate rat-race that I start digging into then when our paths cross.  Maybe they did hang the moon....but you also have to realize the roles/responsibilities of a start-up and a publicly traded company are often quite different.  Even today, your reputation is everything - and if I can't find people that will vouch for a proven track record of success, that's a problem.  

I have a buddy that has made a career doing this. He sticks around 18 months or so...long enough to justify the title, but not long enough to be accountable for results, then moves on to the next shop. Seems to have worked out okay for him. Of course he and his wife are both trust fund kids, so they really don't have a problem supporting their lifestyle on a salary. 

22 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I have a buddy that has made a career doing this. He sticks around 18 months or so...long enough to justify the title, but not long enough to be accountable for results, then moves on to the next shop. Seems to have worked out okay for him. Of course he and his wife are both trust fund kids, so they really don't have a problem supporting their lifestyle on a salary. 

It's a thing, called "Quitting your way to the top". Like most shortcut/hacks, in the long term you will probably suffer.

53 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Yeah.  Except these guys aren't even in the corporate mechanism.  They bounce, go the "start-up" route, dress themselves up in a fancy title, do little to no actual or important work, then try to get back into corporate's good graces, then balk when they now accountable for results.  I have two friends, one in VC/PE and one ex military (MARSOC).  Both joke which one has the better stories on sniffing out bullshit (think 'stolen valor', but on the corporate side).  I've watched these guys stretch people out who start "talking the talk" to the point they are out against the edge of the cliff and don't even know it before these guys drop the hammer.  

1 hour ago, Errestaurants said:

I'm sitting at Logan Airport heading back to Texas. I just finished an Executive Management course at HBS. Whatever info/advice you're wanting will have a price. Ask away.

Was at Logan this morning.  It was a bitch.  Ironically for our board meetings.  Met budget.  Still CEO.  Winning.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

I’m making a killing in CBD and essential oils. Ask me about my pyrami... err I mean direct sales opportunities.

Lol, true  But don't hate on CBD oil - shit is magical for inflammation.  How's it's hocked, that's another story.  We used to have a neighbor that was UBER high on the Rodan/Fields pyramid thingy.

This

Chick

Made

BANK

Green is green - not my cup of tea, but man, from what her husband said - it was ridiculous.  What's the saying about being lucky vs being good?  Think her timing was just great.

17 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Think her timing was just great.

Green is green but there have to be several people downline that took it on the chin.

The evidence on CBD oil is not great so far except a handful of conditions. I’m not saying it won’t work but it’s getting a case of the Vitamin D cures everything vibe and now we know supplemental Vitamin D ain’t worth a damn for most anything.

I will cautiously wait for the evidence.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bluto said:

That’s all we get? You’re holding out on us man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grew a specialty group to 140 docs in 24/25 states over 9 years.  Exited in Jan.  Owned 100% to that point. Own 30% now.  They kept me on as CEO but reserved right to make change.  I’ll stay on at least next 24 months after this set of meetings.  On track for 250M exit in 3 years.  They’ve approved a roll up of smaller groups - with debt so I won’t get diluted.  Took good number of chips off table so if shit hits the fan I’ve got no worries.

Had already spun off nurse practitioner company prior to this deal. That’s the big one.  Own 30% of that as well.  Met Optum and may have large deal set with them but only to staff NP’s for them.  Don’t want to exit for few years.  I don’t operate that company.  Just chair the board.  

CEO is much more about putting pieces together and being somebody others follow vs pedigree, school, or grades.  Although all those things certainly help.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Green is green but there have to be several people downline that took it on the chin.

The evidence on CBD oil is not great so far except a handful of conditions. I’m not saying it won’t work but it’s getting a case of the Vitamin D cures everything vibe and now we know supplemental Vitamin D ain’t worth a damn for most anything.

So far I've seen modest positive impact for inflammation which I also supplement with Krill Oil, turmeric, and Glucosamine and switching my diet.  The price elasticity of the oil now is such that it's worth the cost.  I'm not doubting it will continue to decrease.  CDB and Stem Cell injections are both lauded as the next revolutionary breakthrough in longevity.  I think both have their place, as long as you understand their limitations (see your apt Vit.D reference - I still remember that one when I was working out at the Cooper Center in Dallas).

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

So far I've seen modest positive impact for inflammation which I also supplement with Krill Oil, turmeric, and Glucosamine and switching my diet.  The price elasticity of the oil now is such that it's worth the cost.  I'm not doubting it will continue to decrease.  CDB and Stem Cell injections are both lauded as the next revolutionary breakthrough in longevity.  I think both have their place, as long as you understand their limitations (see your apt Vit.D reference - I still remember that one when I was working out at the Cooper Center in Dallas).

Let’s not get crazy and put stem cells in same category as CBD oils.  Lol

3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

It's a thing, called "Quitting your way to the top". Like most shortcut/hacks, in the long term you will probably suffer.

Realistically you can only be promoted at the same company 2-3 times.  Tops.  Most employees are are viewed in the 0-1 category.  Sure there are exceptions where someone starts as an intern at a Fortune 500 company and 6 promotions later they're the CEO at age 55.  But those stories are legends. Therefore jumping companies can be an effective strategy.

To me the fast track to be a top C-level job at a large corp is to work for (or better yet, start) a smaller company where you helped them grow/get acquired.  Then look to repeat at a mid-level company. Then eventually take the jump to a large company. However along the way most likely you will decide you don't want that.

I knew a few people on the fast track at a Fortune 10 company. They claimed that they were lucky if the work week was below 80 hours and if they could get a work-free Sunday during the day. Sunday night was always prepping for Monday.  However they were well compensated. 

18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Let’s not get crazy and put stem cells in same category as CBD oils.  Lol

Lol - same as in they help you live to be a thousand and heal like Wolverine.  I have a good Ortho friend who gets triggered when you start talking about the "magical" healing properties of Stem cells that can heal meniscus tears on their own, etc.  Good way to get him spun up out in public.

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Realistically you can only be promoted at the same company 2-3 times.  Tops.  Most employees are are viewed in the 0-1 category.  Sure there are exceptions where someone starts as an intern at a Fortune 500 company and 6 promotions later they're the CEO at age 55.  But those stories are legends. Therefore jumping companies can be an effective strategy.

To me the fast track to be a top C-level job at a large corp is to work for (or better yet, start) a smaller company where you helped them grow/get acquired.  Then look to repeat at a mid-level company. Then eventually take the jump to a large company. However along the way most likely you will decide you don't want that.

I knew a few people on the fast track at a Fortune 10 company. They claimed that they were lucky if the work week was below 80 hours and if they could get a work-free Sunday during the day. Sunday night was always prepping for Monday.  However they were well compensated. 

Of course - I'm referring more to the low-to-mid level manager that leaves to join a start-up with a C-suite title, accomplishes little to nothing other than padding their resume, then tries to jump back into the corporate machine as a Sr leader responsible for SR. leader-type stuff....and promptly crap the bed or try to "office-talk" their way out of everything: 

well, you know, the synergies of the block-chain lead to dynamic scalability factors, blah, blah, blah...."

59 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Grew a specialty group to 140 docs in 24/25 states over 9 years.  Exited in Jan.  Owned 100% to that point. Own 30% now.  They kept me on as CEO but reserved right to make change.  I’ll stay on at least next 24 months after this set of meetings.  On track for 250M exit in 3 years.  They’ve approved a roll up of smaller groups - with debt so I won’t get diluted.  Took good number of chips off table so if shit hits the fan I’ve got no worries.

Had already spun off nurse practitioner company prior to this deal. That’s the big one.  Own 30% of that as well.  Met Optum and may have large deal set with them but only to staff NP’s for them.  Don’t want to exit for few years.  I don’t operate that company.  Just chair the board.  

CEO is much more about putting pieces together and being somebody others follow vs pedigree, school, or grades.  Although all those things certainly help.  

Good luck at Optum. I've met with them a few times in MSP and they (and UTG) are a pain to work with. Hope it works out for you!

36 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Why not just start a company, sell it, and then do it again?  Would be much preferable to working for someone else.

46 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Lol - same as in they help you live to be a thousand and heal like Wolverine.  I have a good Ortho friend who gets triggered when you start talking about the "magical" healing properties of Stem cells that can heal meniscus tears on their own, etc.  Good way to get him spun up out in public.

I'm reading a book right now on genetic engineering. Stem cell research and other similar research is starting to uncover some pretty mind-blowing things - in a completely different stratosphere than anything CBD does. Things like creating literal superhumans, reversing aging and diseases, growing new, disease free organs for transplants...

And I'm not bagging on you at all - I understand what you meant. Just want to say there is some fascinating stuff out there that a lot of people have no clue exists. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

And that is how you do that.

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Fair enough both do seem to be cure alls in today's day and age.  CBD people crack me up - there's nothing I have not been asked about in conjunction with CBD.  It's hard not to laugh - so sometimes I do just laugh.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Or just do it once and sell for a big enough number you don't have to work anymore.  That's what I'm working towards right now.  

It's fun - you get addicted.  You could pay me a billion and tell me I have to sit on a beach the rest of my life and can never work again - I'd say fuck off.  And doing it for fun once you've got all the contacts makes it quite rewarding in a million different ways. 

2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Good luck at Optum. I've met with them a few times in MSP and they (and UTG) are a pain to work with. Hope it works out for you!

We let Optum fall on their face in a few different markets with their NP program...  Then we showed same/better outcomes and we hire the NP and bill fee for service.  They're FINALLY coming around but yes, they can be pretty difficult to work with...because they already know it all.  Fingers crossed but even without them we are adding 100+ NP's a year.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It's fun - you get addicted.  You could pay me a billion and tell me I have to sit on a beach the rest of my life and can never work again - I'd say fuck off.  And doing it for fun once you've got all the contacts makes it quite rewarding in a million different ways. 

I can see that.  I want to get to the point where that's a choice I get to make.  I doubt I could just fuck around on a beach either.  But I'd give it a good go for a year or so.

4 hours ago, Newdoc said:

It made my dick hard, but the wife thinks it’s just rigor mortis setting in.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

It sounds like the way to the C-suite is overwhemingly to build something yourself, create your own lane, and then hang on for the ride. I guess in that sense it's a learning as you go.

The other way sounds like go to a Top-10 target school and join the management track and up-or-out your way to the top?

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I can see that.  I want to get to the point where that's a choice I get to make.  I doubt I could just fuck around on a beach either.  But I'd give it a good go for a year or so.

You could pay me a billion and tell me I have to sit on a beach the rest of my life and can never work again - I'd say fuck yeah!

• Like 1