Surly C-Suite, CxO's

Rougarou

5 hours ago, Drunk Stoner said:

You could pay me a billion and tell me I have to sit on a beach the rest of my life and can never work again - I'd say fuck yeah!

i'll tell you where i'd sit on with a billion dollars, man:  2 beaches at the same time.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I can see that.  I want to get to the point where that's a choice I get to make.  I doubt I could just fuck around on a beach either.  But I'd give it a good go for a year or so.

We see this often after owners are done with their exits. Owners of smaller businesses typically call us 12-18 months after exit looking for a stable company with a certain level of cash flow to run. They grow tired of golf, fishing, being around their wife all day, etc.

15 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Why not just start a company, sell it, and then do it again?  Would be much preferable to working for someone else.

i have found for a quality of life choice it is better to have points and stack those on the way to retirement @ 50. not all ponies win, but when 1-3 do it is a nice life.

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

We see this often after owners are done with their exits. Owners of smaller businesses typically call us 12-18 months after exit looking for a stable company with a certain level of cash flow to run. They grow tired of golf, fishing, being around their wife all day, etc.

From what I've seen they are not that different from Type A athletes - what drove their success isn't a hat to put on and take off.  It's who they are.  They can't just stop.  "Turn it off".  It doesn't work that way.  It's just how they are wired.  How they see the world. 

People like to paint them with a broad brush and throw any number of platitudes centered around populist ideas of "the rich" and the evils of corporate CEOs.  I know our CEO.  I work with him often.  I've met his family.  He's met mine.  He also has an amazing mind to think both strategically and tactically and understand the nuances of our market.  When I was at SWA I had a hand in preparing our investor books for Gary (The CEO).  His mind was downright scary.  When he prepared for the investor/shareholder calls, he had what seemed to be an eidetic memory for statistics and out performance metrics.  He could glean through a paper binder three inches think and could recall virtually all of it upon command.  You can't just plug/play these guys with someone else.

Many of these (not all of course) are not unlike head coaches.  We've seen what Herman has done compared to the prior staff.  Howe the vision and execution of a single mind can make or break and entire organization.  Saban.  Gundy.  Smart.  With the success they impart to their schools, the revenue they bring in - you could argue they are still underpaid.  CEO revenue growth is not all that dissimilar.  

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’ve heard it before in my career where an employee looks at the founder/owner/CEO and wonder why they would walk away with X wealth. Perhaps that’s the exact reason why they got to the level or success: They weren’t looking for the first exit that lets them spend all day golfing.

Everybody wants to be a gangster until it's time to do gangster shit.  Sports.  The military.  Corporate America.  Nobody is willing (and capable) to put in the time and effort.  People see the end result, and skip the journey....living, as Thoreau said:   living lives of silent desperation.

People like to reference, for example, the trials and tribulations Lincoln went through.  Losing parents.  Siblings.  Failed businesses.  BK.  Death of a fiance.  Failed elections.  The loss of his son.  Subsequent failed Senate runs.  That pesky Civil War.  In the dictionary, there should be a picture of this pipe hitter when referencing how to grind!

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Realistically you can only be promoted at the same company 2-3 times.  Tops.  Most employees are are viewed in the 0-1 category.  Sure there are exceptions where someone starts as an intern at a Fortune 500 company and 6 promotions later they're the CEO at age 55.  But those stories are legends. Therefore jumping companies can be an effective strategy.

That's the boat I'm in. I've been promoted from division manager > corporate-wide senior manager and hit a wall.  Due to my niche area, there's not really a position to move up past that. About a year ago, I was "promoted" laterally into a strategy role. Same compensation structure but I went from 55 employees to 0. My company does not like someone to be in a leadership role for more than 2-3 years so that the pipeline of young talent can continue to have an upwards career trajectory. I was in my last role for 9 years which may be a record here.  Basically, I've been put in my retirement position at 47. I'm bored as fuck but am extremely well compensated so I'm debating if I should leave or just fucking coast for 10 more years.  I still get an exceeds expectations on evaluations for doing literally 5 hours of work a week so my pay isn't stagnant. 

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I'm bored as fuck but am extremely well compensated so I'm debating if I should leave or just fucking coast for 10 more years.  I still get an exceeds expectations on evaluations for doing literally 5 hours of work a week so my pay isn't stagnant. 

Time for a side hustle.  Rent houses.  Ju Jitsu.  IDPA Matches.  Wood working.  Something to keep your brain firing.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Time for a side hustle.  Rent houses.  Ju Jitsu.  IDPA Matches.  Wood working.  Something to keep your brain firing.  

I work out at lunch every day for 90 minutes so I'm in fantastic shape right now. The side hustle is a great idea. I'll definitely start thinking about that.  I've been so focused thinking about what I've done for a career the past 20+ years, that I haven't given any thought about anything else I could be doing.

51 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

From what I've seen they are not that different from Type A athletes - what drove their success isn't a hat to put on and take off.  It's who they are.  They can't just stop.  "Turn it off".  It doesn't work that way.  It's just how they are wired.  How they see the world. 

People like to paint them with a broad brush and throw any number of platitudes centered around populist ideas of "the rich" and the evils of corporate CEOs.  I know our CEO.  I work with him often.  I've met his family.  He's met mine.  He also has an amazing mind to think both strategically and tactically and understand the nuances of our market.  When I was at SWA I had a hand in preparing our investor books for Gary (The CEO).  His mind was downright scary.  When he prepared for the investor/shareholder calls, he had what seemed to be an eidetic memory for statistics and out performance metrics.  He could glean through a paper binder three inches think and could recall virtually all of it upon command.  You can't just plug/play these guys with someone else.

Many of these (not all of course) are not unlike head coaches.  We've seen what Herman has done compared to the prior staff.  Howe the vision and execution of a single mind can make or break and entire organization.  Saban.  Gundy.  Smart.  With the success they impart to their schools, the revenue they bring in - you could argue they are still underpaid.  CEO revenue growth is not all that dissimilar.  

The part about the 3 inch binder of stuff is not true and simply not possible. The reason that's the case is because the binder is just confirming or providing details into what he already knew. I'm not saying you are full of shit and that isn't a crazy skill, but going through a binder of never before seen shit and being able to just regurgitate any of it isn't a thing. I will say the "working memory" for all the super successful "we couldn't do it without you" CEOs I've met is on a different plane than any other occupation I've seen except for crazy good lawyers. 

28 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

That's the boat I'm in. I've been promoted from division manager > corporate-wide senior manager and hit a wall.  Due to my niche area, there's not really a position to move up past that. About a year ago, I was "promoted" laterally into a strategy role. Same compensation structure but I went from 55 employees to 0. My company does not like someone to be in a leadership role for more than 2-3 years so that the pipeline of young talent can continue to have an upwards career trajectory. I was in my last role for 9 years which may be a record here.  Basically, I've been put in my retirement position at 47. I'm bored as fuck but am extremely well compensated so I'm debating if I should leave or just fucking coast for 10 more years.  I still get an exceeds expectations on evaluations for doing literally 5 hours of work a week so my pay isn't stagnant. 

I'm almost in the same boat, except I'm 30 already have rental houses and obviously run this shitshow of a website. Have a kid on the way and really am at a crossroads of do I just chill and collect a fat paycheck and invest on my own to make the home run happen or do I go full bore and start a company of my own or take a CEO job at an earlier stage startup to swing for the fences while basically keeping a very similar cash comp package. 

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

The part about the 3 inch binder of stuff is not true and simply not possible. The reason that's the case is because the binder is just confirming or providing details into what he already knew. I'm not saying you are full of shit and that isn't a crazy skill, but going through a binder of never before seen shit and being able to just regurgitate any of it isn't a thing. I will say the "working memory" for all the super successful "we couldn't do it without you" CEOs I've met is on a different plane than any other occupation I've seen except for crazy good lawyers. 

It's not "new" data - they're performance metrics in the same format quarter over quarter.  He obviously preps for the calls, but there were always whispers that he essentially has an eidetic memory.  It's when he starts pulling in previous quarters or years that it starts to get a little spooky.  Above my pay grade, but it's impressive to see/listen to.  

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

It's not "new" data - they're performance metrics in the same format quarter over quarter.  He obviously preps for the calls, but there were always whispers that he essentially has an eidetic memory.  It's when he starts pulling in previous quarters or years that it starts to get a little spooky.  Above my pay grade, but it's impressive to see/listen to.  

Yeah that's what I meant about the working memory part. That is the single thing I've seen that is like "woah that's different than anyone else". Most people have 8GB of RAM those people have like 128 or more as a very stupid analogy in the physical world. 

Just now, immamac said:

Yeah that's what I meant about the working memory part. That is the single thing I've seen that is like "woah that's different than anyone else". Most people have 8GB of RAM those people have like 128 or more as a very stupid analogy in the physical world. 

Beyond being able to regurgitate the data, it's acting upon it that sets these guys apart.  Most people familiar with SWA know about Gary's amazing fuel hedging plan that he facilitated.  

Ags like to talk about "power moves" - THAT was a power move.  Big brass ones on Gary.  

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Still not seeing how that is relevant in this discussion?

Many people spend their entire lives chasing the single, elusive payout and grind themselves into a bad place....often missing the mark entirely

Vs.

A slower, more consistent pace with possibly a slower upward trajectory but a better quality of life and consistent returns, which over time, can get you to where you want to ultimately be.  

Or something like that.  

• Like 2

People with amazing memories can be fun to watch but I don't see how that qualifies as a necessary trait for a leader. You don't want them to have zero memory but a walking Wikipedia brain means very little.  Not to mention that if you rely on your memory long enough, the one certainty is that it will eventually fail you.

I find the best leaders make the right choices when hiring their team, and then ensuring that same hiring practice is continued downward. then they set a clear vision and motivate their team(s) to create/execute strategies.

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Many people spend their entire lives chasing the single, elusive payout and grind themselves into a bad place....often missing the mark entirely

Vs.

A slower, more consistent pace with possibly a slower upward trajectory but a better quality of life and consistent returns, which over time, can get you to where you want to ultimately be.  

Or something like that.  

I can see that.  I'm on my third company.  First one went terribly, but I learned a ton.  Second one went really well.  Cashed out for probably a double in ChiTownDoc terms on that one.  I think this one will be the big one, but even if it isn't, I can pay my bills and I'm my own boss.  And that is worth it all by itself.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I doubt I could just fuck around on a beach either.  But I'd give it a good go for a year or so.

I couldn't sit around doing f' all either, but I'm not going to do anything stressful.  I'm thinking guy that rakes the infield dirt at Minute Maid Park would be right up my alley.

26 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I couldn't sit around doing f' all either, but I'm not going to do anything stressful.  I'm thinking guy that rakes the infield dirt at Minute Maid Park would be right up my alley.

I've always told my wife that I would like to go to culinary school.  Not to open a restaurant or be a professional chef, but because I want to.  I'd be that guy everyone else hates in class.

17 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I've always told my wife that I would like to go to culinary school.  Not to open a restaurant or be a professional chef, but because I want to.  I'd be that guy everyone else hates in class.

My dad always wanted to be a Wal-Mart greeter.  I hate people so that would never be an option for me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

My dad always wanted to be a Wal-Mart greeter.  I hate people so that would never be an option for me.

Pop said that too after he retired for the second time.  Instead he shunned nearly all responsibility and went to work for the Texas Workforce Commission finding people jobs.  He was a retired Col. and COO of a rehab hospital and said it was the most rewarding job he ever had.  

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Say it again, but this time in English.

If you start something...say goodbye to your life. the pay out could be phenomenal. you could diluted to shit. it could fail. but you have had no life during the whole process.

being a performer/doer at a young/starter/not so yet established business you will retain some sort of work/life balance. in this role you can get a % or points on the business during an exit or ipo. this is the route i chose. how i will entertain when the run is over- sit on boards and pick some winners to work with, dabble in some investment hobbies, etc... it is just a different path.

Edited by riloh05

19 minutes ago, riloh05 said:

If you start something...say goodbye to your life. the pay out could be phenomenal. you could diluted to shit. it could fail. but you have had no life during the whole process.

being a performer/doer at a young/starter/not so yet established business you will retain some sort of work/life balance. in this role you can get a % or points on the business during an exit or ipo. this is the route i chose. will be retired by 50 and sit on boards and pick some winners to work with and dabble in some investment hobbies. it is just a different path.

Some people are meant to be entrepreneurs and some aren't.  It's not right or wrong either way.  I could never go back to working for someone else, though.  Knowing that my efforts have a direct impact on my personal bottom line is good to know.  But not everyone can deal with the stress and uncertainty of starting their own business.  There are a lot of sleepless nights, for sure.  And lots of personal guarantees on debt.

55 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:

Just found out my role could be potentially outsourced next year. I guess it's time to spruce up the resume. Anyone know what type of tree I should take my picture in front of?

Spruce for Operations.

Cedar for Finance.

Beech for Legal and Compliance.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 2:47 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

On 8/8/2019 at 6:25 PM, MissingInAction said:

And you would probably get shot.

My COO was managing a wal-mart in Raytown, MO before he went and got his MBA.  He had a knife pulled on him while trying to stop someone from stealing a sewing machine.  Guy has come a long ways but we love telling that story.  

I'm almost in the same boat, except I'm 30 already have rental houses and obviously run this shitshow of a website. Have a kid on the way and really am at a crossroads of do I just chill and collect a fat paycheck and invest on my own to make the home run happen or do I go full bore and start a company of my own or take a CEO job at an earlier stage startup to swing for the fences while basically keeping a very similar cash comp package. 

If you want your kid to know who you are, go with Option A. B & C = pissed off wife and a kid you barely know. Her 2nd husband will really appreciate the child support payments.
  • Like 2