Texas Women's Soccer

Js1

Let's get this started.

Texas starts the year #19 - behind #11 WV, #14 Baylor and ahead of #22 Texas Tech. 

League-high 4 players on the preseason All Big 12 team: Hintzen, Berg, Grosso and Regan

First match, an exhibition, against Air Force on the 16th. Opener is the 22nd against Gonzaga.  7/18 teams on our slate made the tournament last year:  Baylor (quarterfinals), 2nd rounders WVU, TCU, Tech and Kansas and Denver and Monmouth. 

• 2 weeks later...

No Jett, Billups, or Oliver because of injuries. Hopefully, nothing serious because that's two starters and one of our best players off the bench. 

This team will score a lot of goals with Nobles, Berg, Grosso and Hintzen in an attacking role. The key is can the back line and other midfielders keep enough possession to get those players opportunities. 

Ange Kelly has a love affair with big/athletic players with zero technical ability. McFarland and Turner should not be starting over Nobles. Right when Nobles entered the game it shifted because of her ability to keep possession/play on the ball. 

The other FR (Oliver) that's injured is also very technical. Kelly needs to start playing the technical players over the athletes that play kickball. 

Bring McFarland and Turner off the bench to run at players for 10 or 15 minutes. 

On 8/22/2019 at 8:04 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Ange Kelly has a love affair with big/athletic players with zero technical ability. McFarland and Turner should not be starting over Nobles. Right when Nobles entered the game it shifted because of her ability to keep possession/play on the ball. 

The other FR (Oliver) that's injured is also very technical. Kelly needs to start playing the technical players over the athletes that play kickball. 

Bring McFarland and Turner off the bench to run at players for 10 or 15 minutes. 

She is a UNC Anson Dorrance disciple, not going to happen.

Luckily, we have a lot of top players who are also very skilled coming in lately.

With Regan and Brooks, we have at least two defenders capable of winning balls and connecting passes, building out of the back. We probably haven't had that since I began watching Texas womens soccer.

4 hours ago, pacman said:

With Regan and Brooks, we have at least two defenders capable of winning balls and connecting passes, building out of the back. We probably haven't had that since I began watching Texas womens soccer.

You're definitely right when it comes to Regan. I think Brooks has some technical ability but she really struggled against Gonzaga. Brooks hasn't exactly lived up to the hype so far IMO. Brooks is still young so there is time for growth.

Part of the issue is I'm not totally sure Brooks is an outside fullback. When Jett returns I think it will be Jett and Regan as the outside fullbacks and Brooks slides into a central fullback role. Brooks doesn't look comfortable at all defensively at outside fullback but maybe that has to do with the fact she's young. 

Like I said above, we really missed Jett and Billups. Jett isn't the most technically gifted player but she's probably our best defender and she's a pain to deal with when she attacks up the wing. Billups is listed as a forward but she was playing a more midfieldish role last year. We really missed her workhorse effort in the midfield chasing players. 

I think this team comes down to the defense because if healthy Nobles, Berg, Billups, Hintzen, Grosso, Oliver and McFarland are going to score goals. 9 goals so far in the exhibition and opening game. We have as much attacking talent as anyone in the country. The issue is whether we have comparable talent at fullback and some of the other midfield spots. 

Edited by texasstrong12

11 minutes ago, pacman said:

I am a bit out of touch. Any word on Strouphauer? No pt so far

No clue but you're right she didn't play in the exhibition or the opener. It must be some type of injury because she would be a potential starter or at least one of the first players off the bench. I thought she would take over the holding midfield role once Dollas graduated. 

We were missing a lot in the Gonzaga game. Stroup, Jett, Oliver and Billups will all play significant minutes. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, pacman said:

Oh yes, seen her play numerous times over the years. More to come from her in the next four years..she has a large skillset

Yeah, she was undervalued as a 3 star but she was still a top 100 recruit per Top Drawer. They don't give out many 4 and 5 star rankings. 

Nobles was the best player I saw at UIL state. She scored a couple goals in the semis and finals. Southlake had another forward named Madison Drenowatz that was really good. Nobles and Drenowatz dominated both games I saw. I'm really surprised Drenowatz committed to a school like Rochester. I thought she would have much better offers than that especially playing for Solar. 

• Like 1

Game day.

Match 2: No. 11 Texas (1-0-0) at Denver (1-0-1)

Time: Thursday, Aug. 29 – 8 p.m. CT

TV: The match will be broadcast live on Altitude Sports and can be watched online via DenverPioneers.com

• Like 1

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

All the best talent doesn't mean crap if your coaches can't do their job. Kelly is not a good coach.

Reminded me of the way Barnes could mindfuck a weak soul, remember when Mason could barely dribble and walk at the same time after Rick worked him? So much talent on this team and you can see them thinking vs playing confident and aggressive. 

14 hours ago, Goodman said:

Reminded me of the way Barnes could mindfuck a weak soul, remember when Mason could barely dribble and walk at the same time after Rick worked him? So much talent on this team and you can see them thinking vs playing confident and aggressive. 

Former players have said Kelly is very much a mind-fuck kind of coach, depending on the player.

Easy to blame defense here but the midfield coordination, shape was horrible and easy to work through.

Shameful game but not surprising given Colorado general high level girls soccer play. They coach them up well in that State. Of course, when we pull from there we pull athleticism over tactical.

11 minutes ago, pacman said:

Former players have said Kelly is very much a mind-fuck kind of coach, depending on the player.

Easy to blame defense here but the midfield coordination, shape was horrible and easy to work through.

Shameful game but not surprising given Colorado general high level girls soccer play. They coach them up well in that State. Of course, when we pull from there we pull athleticism over tactical.

We seem to love those type of coaches, Karen A. seems cut from the same mold. Elliott is not far off, we've had a handful of years where our elite athleticism lost a few nattys to teams who were better at the tactical with good but not elite talent.

Denver could very well be a sweet 16 caliber type team this year. Like I said above, they're legit and this was a type game you have to have your best players. 

I haven't looked at who played but I see Jett, Billups, and Stroup didn't start so I'm guessing they didn't play last night. 

This team always has 3 or 4 critical injuries before the season even starts. Fire the training/medical staff and find somebody that actually has us healthy going into the season. 

Edited by texasstrong12

15 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Getting routed by Denver?

You do realize Denver is very good right? They're going to win a game or two in the tournament this year. Denver is arguably the best small conference team in the country. 

I didn't watch the game but I would have definitely had us as underdogs without Jett, Billups and Stroup on the road against a team of Denver's quality. 

Edited by texasstrong12

23 minutes ago, Goodman said:

We seem to love those type of coaches, Karen A. seems cut from the same mold. Elliott is not far off, we've had a handful of years where our elite athleticism lost a few nattys to teams who were better at the tactical with good but not elite talent.

well that is exactly the personality of Chris Plonsky

• Like 2

Texas Tech beat Denver 2-1 in Denver a few weeks ago.  If Tech beats them by one goal, then we need to beat them by at least two goals because we are UT.  There are higher standards here.  When you lose to a team that Tech beat, your job should be on the line, IMO.  

Anyway, I'm thinking about going to the game in Boulder today, but I need some questions answered.  Why is Madden our starting goalkeeper versus Curry?  Is Jett playing today?  Is Billups playing today?  

2 hours ago, Mile High Horn said:

Texas Tech beat Denver 2-1 in Denver a few weeks ago.  If Tech beats them by one goal, then we need to beat them by at least two goals because we are UT.  There are higher standards here.  When you lose to a team that Tech beat, your job should be on the line, IMO.  

Tech beat them in an exhibition where Denver played a bunch of players. The bold part also made me chuckle. Texas Tech beat Oklahoma State last year in football a team we lost to. Do you think Herman's job should be on the line?

Not every result should be a referendum on the coach. We do this in every sport.  The idea that Kelly's job "should be on the line" because she lost to a team that Texas Tech beat in an exhibition is hilarious. 

Edited by texasstrong12

8 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Just look at her tournament results. I don’t know why we still have kelly apologists here 

Not sure you have many apologist, most of us are resigned to the fact that she is not going anywhere with that new contract. Let's hope she can out-recruit her coaching deficiencies.