Texas Women's Soccer

Js1

I'm confused.  texassports.com says no tickets for sale under soccer.  but under the tickets tab, there is an option to buy single match tickets.  I suppose I can call and get bounced around by ten people up there but does anybody know if they're allowing fans in this season?  If they can for football, I don't see why they can't have a few hundred for soccer.  I really wanted to take my oldest girl to the Friday match to see her mom's alma mater play mine.  

ANy info?  thanks.

so, they're letting people in though?  I can bring in my daughter without advance clearance?  We'll wear masks and sit far from folks.  Thanks.  It was just a lotta mixed messages.  

This is from an email I received prior to the game against ou sux:

Admission for this season is free. Make sure to get your parking early for just $4 through UT Parking and Transportation Services' Click and Park Program.

MATCH DAY INFO

An important factor in the decision to permit fans is our belief that Longhorns Soccer Nation is willing to adhere to our mitigation measures. We ask for your support in helping provide a safe environment while also providing our teams with an impactful home court/field advantage. In order for our plans to succeed, we need full buy-in from everyone.

Here are the important ways that you can assist us in providing a safe and fun experience to all fans and student-athletes:

1. Health Check - If you are sick or have symptoms related to COVID-19, please do not come to the match. Stay home and cheer for the Longhorns on LHN.
  2. Face Coverings - Face coverings are required at ALL times for ALL individuals. Anyone who refuses to properly wear a face covering will be denied access and/or removed from the facility.
  3. Seating - All seating is general admission. Please be respectful of fans who have arrived before you and choose your seats to maintain proper social distancing - Myers Stadium is the designed to more-than-aptly accommodate this.
  4. Fan Flow - We encourage fans to remain in their seats as much as possible to limit congestion on the concourse.

15 hours ago, Lobo said:

so, they're letting people in though?  I can bring in my daughter without advance clearance?  We'll wear masks and sit far from folks.  Thanks.  It was just a lotta mixed messages.  

I mean, attendance is normally like, 50 people anyways. 

Yeah, that's what I figured.  Just didn't know if they were letting people in with open gates or if there were still some protocols.  Thanks.  Looking forward to the match with my oldest.  Gonna be a bit balmy though, looks like start of match will be about 90 and muggy.  

On 10/6/2020 at 11:11 AM, Js1 said:

I mean, attendance is normally like, 50 people anyways. 

This reminds me of my favorite random Shaka story.  I've attended maybe a half dozen soccer games the last few seasons.  It feels like every time I go there are basically 50 soccer fans, a bunch of guys on the football team who are dating soccer players, and Shaka with his wife and daughter.  Back in 2018 they were playing Texas A&M Corpus Christi in an exhibition game.  Shaka and family rolled in a little before halftime.  He spent some time chatting up some players that came through to say hello, but as things settled down he locked into the game.  Texas was way better and basically kept the entire match on A&M CC's end of the pitch.  With maybe 5 or 10 minutes left in the match, A&M CC actually mustered a counter and passed the ball up the sideline.  The play happened right in front of where we were sitting (we were roughly the same section, I was several rows behind him), and the A&M CC attacked was egregiously offside, at least 4 or 5 feet, but it wasn't called by the badly out of position assistant referee.  It was so egregious I involuntarily yelped, and I'm usually a quiet fan.  As the assistant referee passed in front of him, Shaka - using that low barking voice with no eye contact thing coaches do when they work refs without showing them up - said, "you missed that offsides bro".  Our protests were almost simultaneous and we looked at each other, both realizing how ridiculous it was to complain about a missed call near the end of a soccer exhibition against a hopelessly over matched team, but nevertheless incredulous at how the call was missed.

I know Shaka isn't very popular on this site (for good reason) and it looks like it isn't going to work out for him and Texas basketball, but he really is a good guy.  I will always have a soft spot for the guy who was, that night, just an ordinary engaged fan hanging out with his wife and daughter at a soccer exhibition.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

All piling on aside, they are pretty badly coached.  I was able to watch the 2nd half of the Okie St. game.  One thing that kind of struck me was how well they matched up with Okie St. in one-on-one situations.  I.e. 50/50 balls, one-to-one defending, taking players on, etc... But, holy S they have no concept of team play.  Just kick the ball somewhere seems to be the offensive philosophy.  They also react rather than create.  Several times, I saw a player only make a run after a pass was made. 

When I coached high school girls, I couldn't do much about the lack of skill or experience my girls had; however, they always moved and played as a unit.  This was frustrating to watch. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-nwsl-womens-league/story/4286232/dennis-rodmans-daughter-trinity-registers-for-nwsl-draft

Dennis Rodman's daughter Trinity declares herself eligible for NWSL draft. Due to COVID, she hasn't actually played a game of college soccer. She was the #1 prospect in 2020.

Expect Byars and Mossimo to likely follow a similar path. They will not be here long.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 1:14 PM, pacman said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-nwsl-womens-league/story/4286232/dennis-rodmans-daughter-trinity-registers-for-nwsl-draft

Dennis Rodman's daughter Trinity declares herself eligible for NWSL draft. Due to COVID, she hasn't actually played a game of college soccer. She was the #1 prospect in 2020.

Expect Byars and Mossimo to likely follow a similar path. They will not be here long.

I’m just glad they made it to campus. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ive been watching this UT @ Baylor match and we are playing like a top 10 or top 15 team. Currently up on Baylor 4-0 in the 2nd half. Perhaps next season we'll have enough talent to overcome Kellys shitty coaching and become a factor in the Big 12. Those spring additions have been a big boost for us

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Ive been watching this UT @ Baylor match and we are playing like a top 10 or top 15 team. Currently up on Baylor 4-0 in the 2nd half. Perhaps next season we'll have enough talent to overcome Kellys shitty coaching and become a factor in the Big 12. Those spring additions have been a big boost for us

and the top recruit at forward comes in the Fall...

I don't think Kelly can even fuck up this much talent. Missimo already makes this team substantially better. 

If Kelly can't win with this type talent she needs to find a new job. 

Missimo and Byars could both be USWNT players in the near future. It shouldn't take much of a coaching job to win with this type talent. 

Edited by texasstrong12

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So what's the story on Kelly's job safety at this point? Anyone have background on her contract? I realize there's another great class of recruits coming in, but she seems like she fucking sucks as a coach. 

She was extended until 2024 a few years ago.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

She was extended until 2024 a few years ago.

She needs to be extended off of a plank.

6 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I feel like Our athletic department treats it like a title 9 sport similar to rowing. I think things would be different if we had a men’s soccer program too. Until then, it just kinda exists 

I've talked about it with LHF handlers prior to this year. They appear to get the question about Kelly more often than you'd suspect. The common refrain is that "CDC has set the bar at being a top 10 program for every sport. When a team finishes the year outside of the top 10, that's part of the year end review discussion the coach and CDC have." 

That's well and good, I suppose. Here's hoping.