Texas Women's Soccer

Js1

12 game unbeaten streak and we've only given up 1 goal in 6 games. Extremely tough to break us down right now. Quite the turnaround. From one of the worst P5 teams early in the year to probably a top 20 team heading into the postseason.

Come on Tech, do something right for once in your life. All we need is a draw between Tech and TCU. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Tech had to go full Tech. 

Either way, we should be clearly in the tournament and this looks like a team that can win a few games in the tournament too. 

I’d like another shot at TCU for sure 

So if we win our opening match, we'd play a week from tonight at 7:00p?  I really wanna take my oldest to one more match this season, even if it's in Round Rock, because from what y'all said...it's a real outside shot for us to host an opening round game in the Big Tourney.  Or would tonight's win plus 2 wins in Round Rock change that?

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

So if we win our opening match, we'd play a week from tonight at 7:00p?  I really wanna take my oldest to one more match this season, even if it's in Round Rock, because from what y'all said...it's a real outside shot for us to host an opening round game in the Big Tourney.  Or would tonight's win plus 2 wins in Round Rock change that?

Sunday 5:30

Thursday 7:00

Championship is 11/7 at 2:30

I think it’s a slim shot unless we run through the Big 12 tournament.  We need a win over TCU with their RPI. Will have to see the updated after tonight 

Minutes played tonight by the FR class: 

Missimo 90 minutes (#1 recruit)

Byars 79 minutes (#2 recruit)

Miller 56 minutes (#105 recruit)

Cox 90 minutes (#10 recruit)

Ward 79 minutes (international so she wasn't ranked but top 50 caliber talent. She's the most underrated player in this class)

Fung didn't play tonight for whatever reason (#9 recruit) and Stanley is nursing some type of injury (#131 recruit). 

Memo to Texas football and basketball. Go buy these type recruits. If Missimo and Byars don't go pro this is likely a top 10 preseason team next year just with those mix of players. 

Looking at the bracket for Round Rock - boy it is hard to believe preseason favorite WV finished 6th, preseason 5th place Texas finished 2nd (and the only unbeaten squad) and preseason 7th place Baylor finished 3rd.   Preseason #9 OU managed to get into the Big 12 tournament and preseason #6 Kansas did not. 

#1 TCU vs #8 Iowa State - TCU won 3-0
#4 OSU vs #5 Texas Tech - 1-1 draw (2 OT)

#2 Texas vs #7 OU - Texas won 4-3
#3 Baylor vs #6 WV - 0-0 draw (2OT)

If favorites (#1 and #2) advance:

TCU beat OSU 3-0 and Texas Tech 1-0
Texas drew 0-0 with both Baylor and WV.  

It actually really sucks that we got slotted on the side with the only 2 teams in conference we didn't score a goal against. 

Texas was 3-1-0 against the other side of the bracket, scoring 6 goals and allowing 2.  Texas was 1-2-0 against it's own bracket, with 4 goals scored (all against OU) and 3 goals allowed (all by OU). 

If we want to get to the Big 12 title game, we are going to have to score goals.  Or it's going to come down to PKs to advance. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

So far:

TCU def. ISU 0-0 (PKs)

Texas Tech def OKST 0-0 (PKs)

Grosso is not playing today for Texas

Hmm I wonder why….that’s 4 straight matches. Holding her out in Lawrence was a “precaution” so this isn’t a good sign 

Edited by Js1

This has been a very odd season. From one of the worst P5 teams in the country and Kelly on the way out to 13 games in a row unbeaten.

I don't think it's all that surprising though in the context of the roster. It took all those FR a few games to figure out what they were doing but they were always extremely talented. 

Two wins on Thurs/Sun gave us a little bump to 33 in the RPI.  

West Virginia (Thursday) is #45.  Potential title game opponents if we make it to the Big 12 champ match: #8 TCU or #82 Texas Tech

We are in the NCAAT regardless.   We want TCU for a better seeding (just by virtue of playing them, a hell of a lot better with a win) but Tech is probably a better chance of winning the Big 12 championship. 

Edited by Js1

31-8 goal differential over this 13 game unbeaten streak. Kind of impressive. 

Hopefully, Grosso is back soon. She didn't play on the Canada tour either because of the "medical issue" so sounds like we were going to be without her regardless of her leaving. Either way, I think it's going to be beneficial with a couple of these FR getting more minutes. 

Ashlyn Miller is a pain in the ass for other teams. When Grosso comes back Texas needs to find a way to keep her on the field. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Two wins on Thurs/Sun gave us a little bump to 33 in the RPI.  

West Virginia (Thursday) is #45.  Potential title game opponents if we make it to the Big 12 champ match: #8 TCU or #82 Texas Tech

We are in the NCAAT regardless.   We want TCU for a better seeding (just by virtue of playing them, a hell of a lot better with a win) but Tech is probably a better chance of winning the Big 12 championship. 

West Virginia is right on the bubble so they're gonna be fighting for their life in this game. 

I much prefer to play WV over Baylor though. 

31-8 goal differential over 13 games is impressive.... until you see the context.   

13 match unbeaten streak
10 wins
3 draws

Average RPI of the 10 wins:  131.3
Average RPI of the 3 draws: 40

Average score in the 10 wins: 3 - 0.7
Average score in the 3 draws: 0.33 - 0.33

We are going to see a lot more teams in the same league as the 3 teams we drew against during this streak than the 10 teams we won against - Samford is the outlier, at RPI #37 (next highest win is OSU #57).  It's impressive, but we scored 23/31 goals against the 6 sub-100 RPI teams.   Not a lot of those in the tournament except auto-qualifiers from minor conferences. 

I'm just worried we can't score consistently against the TCUs, West Virginias and Baylors of the tournament and we aren't going to get that far.   Though for Kelly, making the tournament is an accomplishment.  I know they were early on in the season, but we scored 0 against UCF, 1 against Florida, 1 against Rice and 0 against Oregon (all sub-RPI 50 teams). 

That's true but we thoroughly outplayed TCU and West Virginia. Baylor was fairly evenly matched. 

I dunno.... that's just more of an indictment of soccer in general. These games with top 30 teams are all close and low scoring. If you want to win in the tournament it comes down to winning 1-0 or 2-1 type games. 

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I just realized aggy is going to miss the tournament. Kind of shocking as that's one of their better programs. 

That might be another Jo Evans situation. Guerrieri is in like year 30 at A&M. 

Sorry, there's no money for new coaches.  Jimbo needs another raise/guarantee. 

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Sorry, there's no money for new coaches.  Jimbo needs another raise/guarantee. 

Interesting times for aggy in the women's sports. 

Jo Evans has the softball program in decline, Blair is retiring in women's basketball, Kuhn looks like a very underwhelming hire so fire in vball, and Guirreri has to be getting close to retirement in soccer. 

As shitty as our football program is we look pretty healthy in the women's sports right now. Probably a top 25 team in soccer, vball, softball and women's basketball. 

Edited by texasstrong12

It would be interesting to figure out if Texas has ever finished with a top 25 team in every women's sport in a given year. 

If soccer finishes in the top 25 I think there's a great chance it happens this year. The only other ? is probably women's basketball. Women's golf, rowing, softball, volleyball, women's T/F, and women's swimming and diving are all going to finish in the top 25. Do we count cross country as a program? I know Texas technically has a program but they prioritize sprinters over long distance runners in scholarship allocation because that's what scores at the NCAAs. I consider cross country as more part of the T/F rankings because that's how Texas views it. 

It would be nice if Texas football could get their shit together because if Beard is what we think he is the athletic department is as healthy as it's been in a long time. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It would be interesting to figure out if Texas has ever finished with a top 25 team in every women's sport in a given year. 

If soccer finishes in the top 25 I think there's a great chance it happens this year. The only other ? is probably women's basketball. Women's golf, rowing, softball, volleyball, women's T/F, and women's swimming and diving are all going to finish in the top 25. 

Do we count cross country as a program? I know Texas technically has a program but they prioritize sprinters over long distance runners in scholarship allocation because that's what scores at the NCAAs. I consider cross country as more part of the T/F rankings because that's how Texas views it. 

Vic will finish in the top 25.