Texas Women's Soccer

Js1

Texas probably had like a 5% chance of making the NCAA tournament after the Oregon loss and since then they've gone 14 games unbeaten. Wild. 

These type games are all close and I expect the same against TCU. I don't think Texas has any problem playing conservative and getting to PKs. This roster is built for PKs with a great keeper and 3 or 4 very technical players that can score. In a fairly evenly matched game between two Sweet 16 caliber teams, I don't think Texas would hate getting to PKs even though a lot of luck is involved. 

The TCU game will be a good barometer as they're a Sweet 16/Elite 8 caliber team (made the Elite 8 last year). The first game was interesting between Texas and TCU. TCU dominated the first 20 minutes but then Texas realized they could play with them and controlled the rest of the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Seems like the crowds have been pretty good here. Maybe it's because of the format but I kind of wonder if the location is better for fans? 

I dunno. Maybe they should start hosting home games here. 

They just said it is maybe the biggest finals crowd in Big 12 history. It’s the first 1v2 finals matchup since 2011 and 2 Texas teams, so not surprised. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 1:29 PM, texasstrong12 said:

31-8 goal differential over this 13 game unbeaten streak. Kind of impressive. 

Hopefully, Grosso is back soon. She didn't play on the Canada tour either because of the "medical issue" so sounds like we were going to be without her regardless of her leaving. Either way, I think it's going to be beneficial with a couple of these FR getting more minutes. 

Ashlyn Miller is a pain in the ass for other teams. When Grosso comes back Texas needs to find a way to keep her on the field. 

Bump 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

This is the best Texas soccer team in a decade and Kelly still can't get a Big12 regular season or tournament title. Fire her ass

I was fully on board this sentiment earlier in the season but now not so much. 

Half the starting lineup is true FR and we're probably the youngest team in the country in terms of minutes played by underclassmen. This is going to be a top 10 preseason team next year and heavy favorites to win the Big 12 if Missimo and Byars don't go pro (I don't think they will). 

I'm on board firing Kelly if it means not losing our first legit roster ever in women's soccer but we would lose players. The Missimo and Byars families are very close with Kelly. 

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I was fully on board this sentiment earlier in the season but now not so much. 

Half the starting lineup is true FR and we're probably the youngest team in the country in terms of minutes played by underclassmen. This is going to be a top 10 preseason team next year and heavy favorites to win the Big 12 if Missimo and Byars don't go pro (I don't think they will). 

I'm on board firing Kelly if it means not losing our first legit roster ever in women's soccer but we would lose players. The Missimo and Byars families are very close with Kelly. 

Are we flipping that UNC commit?

Just now, Js1 said:

Are we flipping that UNC commit?

From what I was told very likely. 

Our soccer history is abysmal and it's the most underachieving sport at Texas historically. Hell, we've never even been past the Sweet 16. If Kelly wins a couple games in the tournament this year with a Sweet 16 appearance the last thing I want to see is our first legit roster ever in the sport blow up. 

No chance CDC is firing Kelly either if Texas is a sweet 16 caliber team with this many young players. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, from what I was told the TCU coach is pretty much waiting for the Texas job. 

I think you let Kelly get another year with this talented roster and if it's not an Elite 8/Final 4 caliber team next season with all that talent it's time to move on. Then go get the TCU coach. 

My ideal scenario is to steal the TCU coach and keep this roster together but I don't think that would happen. If the TCU coach is waiting for the Texas job what's the harm in waiting 1 more year instead of blowing up our first legit roster ever in the history of the sport? 

There was a stark difference in speed between the two teams.  Regan and Lampomarda seemed like our only players who could match their speed.  We lost quite a few possessions underestimating TCU speed.  

it was also really frustrating watching us pull up on some runs.  Byars and Massimo in particular seem to default to two man game even when they can get an advantage just taking it and forcing the goalie to commit.  

Yeah-Byars, Missimo and Grosso are too tentative at times because they're so technical. They know they have the ability to break teams down with possession but they pass up on too many opportunities to attack when there are chances. 

Byars in particular should be a ball hog and take on players whenever she touches the ball. 

Watch somebody like Messiah Bright for TCU who is looking to attack whenever she gets the ball. But that's the difference between a SR (Bright) and a FR (Byars). Byars is going to be a much better player than Bright which is scary because Bright is an All-American caliber player this year. 

I don't think Grosso is fully healthy yet either. She wasn't getting back at all against TCU. 

That injury prior to the Canada tour must still be bothering her. 

Kelly probably should have benched Grosso in this game because we were getting killed in the midfield due to Grosso's lack of tracking back with players. I've never seen that lack of effort from her so it has to be an injury bothering her. 

I still think there is a chance we host the 1st round game. 32 teams host and there aren't many teams in our area that are going to be hosts. 

Kelly definitely thinks we're hosting a 1st round game because the broadcasters brought up today that both coaches thought this Big 12 championship game was to determine if either team would host the round of 32/sweet 16 games. 

Edited by texasstrong12

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Announcement of bracket today at 3:30p-CST.  

Here's hoping we at least get 1, maybe 2 games in Austin.

It's going to be close - Texas is 35 in the final RPI.   

The last I saw was TCU as the top 4 seed, so they are def hosting a first round game.   

Texas is obviously in, but I think it's pretty dicey on if we get a first round game.  WVU is squarely on the bubble - they're probably a last 4 in type team.  Big 12 may be a two-bid league. 

We definitely won’t host a round of 32/Sweet 16 game unless a higher seed loses but I say it’s about 50/50 on whether we host in the 1st round. 

The rankings like us much better than our RPI as I think people doing the rankings are persuaded by our recent play over our body of work. 

Our resume is very funky because of the shitty start to the season. Even with the TCU loss we’re playing like a top 25 team though. 

22 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Only 48 teams make the tournament, so with an RPI of 35, there may be a team or two with better RPIs than us that miss the tournament because of the auto bids

It's 64 again this year.   48 was only bc of COVID in the spring of 2021. 

9:54 AM, OCTOBER 7, 2021

How does the selection process work?

The women's College Cup is comprised of the two semifinal games and championship game of the Division I women’s soccer championship tournament.

There are 333 women’s soccer teams in Division I that are eligible for competition in the tournament. 

Of those 333, 64 will make the championship’s tournament field. The teams that qualify for the tournament field are split into two categories:

• 31 conference champions automatically receive invites to the tournament.
  • 33 at-large teams are selected by the NCAA Division I Women’s Soccer Committee.

The tournament field and bracket will be announced on Monday, Nov. 8 during the selection show.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1