Texas Women's Soccer

Js1

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

My mistake, I didn’t realize last years bracket size was reduced due to Covid. I thought that was the normal size because I could have sworn top teams got byes in the past, which wouldn’t be the case with a 64 bracket. Now it makes sense why everyone is 100% certain we are in!

NCAA Soccer and Volleyball both did 48 team tournaments with top teams getting a bye in spring 2021.  The amount of leagues who didn't play, teams who opted out and just the general fuckedupedness of 2020-21 necessitated it. 

Both back to normal now. 

There should be some wild results in the tournament because outside of the top 2 or 3 teams everyone is kind of even and the close nature of soccer games makes for a lot of weird results. 

There isn't much difference between team # 4 and team #40. 

I could see Texas losing in the first round 2-1 or making the elite 8 winning a bunch of close games. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

There should be some wild results in the tournament because outside of the top 2 or 3 teams everyone is kind of even and the close nature of soccer games makes for a lot of weird results. 

There isn't much difference between team # 4 and team #40. 

I could see Texas losing in the first round 2-1 or making the elite 8 winning a bunch of close games. 

25% chance we are in a quarter without FSU, Virginia, or UCLA. If that happens, then a final 4 run isn’t out of the question. 

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

We’ve never been past the Sweet 16 in women’s soccer. 

Next season will be by far our best hope of changing that if all those FR return. Kelly should be looking to add 1 or 2 impact transfers and go all in on next year’s roster.

4 Sweet 16s in 27 seasons of play.  Abysmal. 

Hell, we've only been past the 1st round 6 times.... We have 14 non-appearances.  

This is only the 18th season we've had double digit wins.  Our lifetime record is 308-202-59 (54%).  I knew it was bad, but this is just futile - A&M and Baylor have a combined 7 Elite 8 appearances.  

Well, I hope we win one game.   SMU is 11-4-2 with an RPI of 25.  They lost to Baylor, Memphis (RPI #30) and split with USF (RPI #22).  Also beat OU, OSU and Rice. 

SMU is 7-1-1 at home
Average 1.47 goals per game, give up 1.00 goals per game (25 gs, 17 ga)
They give up a lot of corners (96, compared to only 67 for them)

Texas is 3-1-3 on the road
1.81 goals per game, 0.90 goals allowed (38 gs, 19 ga)
136 corner kicks for Texas, 73 for opponents

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I also just noticed the Big 12 semi-final game goes down as a draw and not a win. 

What a dumb rule. I wonder if that's a NCAA thing or a Big 12 rule? It sounds like something idiotic the Big 12 would implement. Whoever wins in PKs should get the win. 

I think that's just a soccer thing in general. 

A single-legged knockout game that requires a penalty shoot-out to determine the result, however, is considered a draw for both teams, regardless of who won the shoot-out.

Also not counting 2020 (no tournament), this is the first NCAA tournament miss for West Virginia/Nikki Izzo-Brown since 1999. 

In that span:

20 NCAA appearances
7 Sweet 16s
3 Elite 8s
1 College Cup appearance
1 NCAA runner up
6 Big 12 regular season titles
7 conference tournament crowns (Big East/Big 12)

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I think that's just a soccer thing in general. 

Could be but when is there ever an instance where two teams go to PKs other than in the elimination rounds? It's either you win or lose after PKs. If it's let's say the quarters of the World Cup it doesn't go down as a draw. 

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Could be but when is there ever an instance where two teams go to PKs other than in the elimination rounds? It's either you win or lose after PKs. If it's let's say the quarters of the World Cup it doesn't go down as a draw. 

It goes down as a draw, advanced on PKs.  Go look at our 2017 schedule - it shows the NCAA Second Round matchup with Clemson was "T, 1-1" with us advancing on PKs.  We finished 2017 with 3 draws - 2 in the regular season, 1 in the NCAAT. 

It's clearly an NCAA rules, but it is for football in and of itself because the teams finished tied in 90 min + extra time.  

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also not counting 2020 (no tournament), this is the first NCAA tournament miss for West Virginia/Nikki Izzo-Brown since 1999. 

In that span:

20 NCAA appearances
7 Sweet 16s
3 Elite 8s
1 College Cup appearance
1 NCAA runner up
6 Big 12 regular season titles
7 conference tournament crowns (Big East/Big 12)

They will likely be the biggest competition for Texas next year in the Big 12 based on what everyone loses. 

WV had quite a few injuries and are young like Texas. 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It goes down as a draw, advanced on PKs.  Go look at our 2017 schedule - it shows the NCAA Second Round matchup with Clemson was "T, 1-1" with us advancing on PKs.  We finished 2017 with 3 draws - 2 in the regular season, 1 in the NCAAT. 

It's clearly an NCAA rules, but it is for football in and of itself because the teams finished tied in 90 min + extra time.  

Oh, I get it's a college thing but it's dumb if you ask me. 

Nobody considers the Canada/Sweden final in the Olympics a draw. If you go to PKs there's a winner and loser. The entire point of PKs is to produce a result for one side. 

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think you're quibbling.  At the end of the day, the team that wins the PKs advances - I doubt they give a shit if it's a win or draw on their record. 

I'm definitely quibbling but it makes a pretty big difference in the conference tournament if you end up with 2 draws on the resume vs let's say 2 wins. 

Let's say if Texas ended up with 2 wins vs WV/TCU vs 2 draws vs WV/TCU I bet it would have been a pretty big difference in RPI. 

Just my personal opinion, that if you go to PKs to produce an advancing team that should also be the result on the resume. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

UCLA finished the season undefeated and didn't even get a 1 seed. weird

They finished #13 RPI so that's probably why but the committee just randomly picks and chooses when RPI matters. 

It makes no sense why the #12 RPI team (Harvard) wasn't one of the top 32 teams to host. 

27 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

They finished #13 RPI so that's probably why but the committee just randomly picks and chooses when RPI matters. 

It makes no sense why the #12 RPI team (Harvard) wasn't one of the top 32 teams to host. 

Possibly capacity or facility issues. Usually there’s a minimum capacity or lighting issue 

For instance, Louisville VB gym cant host NCAA events due to capacity. But the Yum Center has basketball conflicts. Where they host is a big question mark 

Edited by Js1

Sigh. With this roster you have to win at least a game or 2 in the tournament. 

Texas showed a ton of improvement to end the year but it's all about results. I've gone back and forth on this but that probably tells you it's time for Kelly to go. 

It's just going to suck to likely lose Missmo and Byars with a coaching change. Maybe the next coach can keep them on the roster. But at this point it's time to go get the TCU coach even if it means starting over with the roster. 

Kelly is the only weak link in the women's sports. 

Go get the TCU coach and we have arguably a top 10 coach in every sport on the women's side. 

This season ended up being a lot like Shaka. Very talented team, showed some improvement, top 25 regular season team, but at the end of the day no results when it mattered. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Easiest hire 

The club coach I know in Austin told me it will likely be him. 

But he's also the one that told me we are going to see some players leave in this FR class if Kelly is fired. He's somewhat close with Kelly so I hope that's the only reason he's saying that but I do know the Missimo family is very close with Kelly. 

Edited by texasstrong12

16 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The club coach I know in Austin told me it will likely be him. 

But he's also the one that told me we are going to see some players leave in this FR class if Kelly is fired. He's somewhat close with Kelly so I hope that's the only reason he's saying that but I do know the Missimo family is very close with Kelly. 

It is what it is. She can’t stay 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The big thing is don't fire Kelly until we know who we are hiring. We don't want a 2 week period where that FR class can look around while we are searching for a coach. 

I believe CDC would have Bell ready to go. The lag time between Aston and Vic was like 3 days 

Kelly would lose with USNWT players. Coaching matters. It sucks that some of our best players might bounce when she's fired, but we aren't going anywhere with Kelly. A lucky first round tournament win every 10 years is about what we get with Kelly. Thats not acceptable 

Edited by perfectchaos007

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Serious question- would/will there be any push back over hiring another man to replace a woman in a womens sport? It’s happened in track, basketball, and softball now and I thought that was a point of pride for some in the AD. 

Maybe but it’s CDC’s call. He’ll hire a winner.  Angela Kelly never should have been hired 

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Serious question- would/will there be any push back over hiring another man to replace a woman in a womens sport? It’s happened in track, basketball, and softball now and I thought that was a point of pride for some in the AD. 

It was a point of pride for Plonsky. 

Tough to make a good argument when all the male replacements are winning.