Texas Women's Soccer

Js1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Texas wins 2-0

1-0-1 to open Big 12 play

So @Js1 do the rankings matter at all for tournament selection? Texas was ranked #23 coming into this week so I would figure they will now be a top 20 team. It's confusing to me how Texas is ranked so low in RPI but they're considered a top 20 team. Maybe the voters are dumb? 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

So @Js1 do the rankings matter at all for tournament selection? Texas was ranked #23 coming into this week so I would figure they will now be a top 20 team. It's confusing to me how Texas is ranked so low in RPI but they're considered a top 20 team. Maybe the voters are dumb? 

Shit RPI teams don’t make it. We’ve missed the tournament as a mid-40s RPI. We really need a good result against KU and OSU

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Kansas doesn't even look that good. Now 7-5 and lost both Big 12 games this week. 

The Big 12 seems like it really sucks in soccer. 

Will have to see updated RPI numbers. We really needed a result against TCU and not a draw

Just now, Js1 said:

Will have to see updated RPI numbers. We really needed a result against TCU and not a draw

It tells you how terrible the schedule is when a 2 or 3 loss team might be a borderline tournament team. 

I don't understand what the head coach is thinking with this nonconference schedule knowing the Big 12 is horrible? You need to schedule better competition. 

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That's a huge jump.  Texas needs that.

OSU is 32
OU is 67
Kansas is 81

So Texas won’t play another top 30 team and only 1 more top 60 team? 

I hope Del Conte doesn’t give Kelly an extension for winning the Big 12 because that feels like a real possibility. Doesn’t she need to win a few games in the tournament? 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

So Texas won’t play another top 30 team and only 1 more top 60 team? 

I hope Del Conte doesn’t give Kelly an extension for winning the Big 12 because that feels like a real possibility. Doesn’t she need to win a few games in the tournament? 

We haven’t played OSU yet

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We haven’t played OSU yet

True but that is the only remaining tough game and they aren't better than TCU are they? 

The Big 12 really sucks if the RPI numbers are right. The optics are going to be tough to fire Kelly if she wins the Big 12. I hope there's some common sense because the conference looks like it's terrible in soccer. 

13 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Oklahoma State tied with Tech last night. 

This really seems like either Texas or TCU will win the Big 12 dependent on which team screws up against a lower level team. 

OU at 2-0

Texas and TCU and OSU 2-0-1

Texas needs results. We can’t do what we did last year - we went 6-0-3. Just flipping one of those ties to a win would have won us the regular season. 

Just rec’d text as may many of you.   Good deal for families

Join Texas Soccer, 1st place in the Big 12, for Kick for a Cure TOMORROW vs. K-State at 7pm at Myers Stadium. 1st 300 fans will get PINK Texas Fight shirts and a foam finger. FREE Admission!
utexas.getvozzi.com/'/mrp5pD
Reply STOP to unsubscribe

I know nothing about soccer but seems like Texas has developed an identity. Only 1 goal given up (a penalty kick) in the last 4 games. 

They sit in this shell and teams can't score on them. Can they continue to generate offense playing this defensive minded against the better teams? 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I know nothing about soccer but seems like Texas has developed an identity. Only 1 goal given up (a penalty kick) in the last 4 games. 

They sit in this shell and teams can't score on them. Can they continue to generate offense playing this defensive minded against the better teams? 

They’re also about to be 3-0 without Missimo. Says a lot when you don’t have your stud 

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas remains unbeaten with a 3-0 win. KU on Sunday 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

TCU and WV ends in a tie. 

Can Del Conte still fire Kelly if Texas wins the Big 12 because it's looking more and more like a possibility? 

It’s not just winning a down Big 12. She needs to do something in the NCAAs

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Yes, we are good.  We are fast and can handle the ball.  We possess it.  

We do possess it well. And have a lot of team speed. Byers and Missimo are both so good. We just need to finally put it together and make noise in the tournament for once 

28 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Oklahoma State and OU are also tied with 7 minutes to play. 

They also tied. Lotta ties tonight.  Texas leads the league with 3 victories and faces another winless team on Sunday

1BA02970-69F2-4ECC-B829-7D336156A754.thumb.jpeg.7bce3f3d2dbbdcea2dfc43796286fef2.jpeg

Texas looked really good last night and K-State looked horrible.  Texas possessed the ball well and had some quality shot attempts in the first half even with K-State playing max defense.  After Texas scored the first goal, K-State had to try some offense and then Texas scored at will.

Also ran into Bijan after the game.  The wife asked him what time it was and he responded "OU Sux?"

Good night all around.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the NCAA getting rid of regular season OT was an awful idea. But that's just me. 

Every team in the Big 12 except Baylor has a tie. 3 teams in the Big 12 last year had no ties.  WV already has 3 ties in 4 matches, which matches their total for last year in 9 matches. 

Gonna be a lot of conferences that will have wonky seeding because of it.    Tech is 2-1-2 and has 8 points, but is below 2-1-1 OU with 7 points in the standings.

Therefore, we really need a W on Sunday to stretch out lead - Texas has 10 points already, and still has 3 games against the bottom half of the conference (KU, ISU, WV).  That's potentially 19 points without having played OSU or OU yet since we are 1-0-1 versus the top half of the Big 12 (Tech W, TCU draw). 

Texas has developed a good strategy. 

Stay disciplined in the back and maintain possession. Then wear teams down in the 2nd half. Texas seems like a frustrating team to play because they keep the ball so much and always have 5 or 6 players behind the ball defensively. 

Only 1 goal given up in 5 Big 12 games and that was a penalty. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sorry to miss the match today with my daughters, but birthday parties and family in town 'n shit.  Great win though.  

Been worried about this 3-game road trip for awhile, obviously this is when it's decided how much we host in the post-season.  @OSU is the tough one for sure, but hopefully we pick up clean wins at WVU & ISU, at the very least a win and a tie.  Really looking forward to this post-season more than most since my oldest is digging football finally.  But really proud of the Women's Team.  HOOK EM!  

11 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Damn, didn't realize how bad the ISU match is gonna hurt our RPI (they're #214 and falling) as will WVU.  Ok-State should help (if we win/tie).  OU seems like a wash.  

What's a typical RPI for a Big 12 team to hose first two rounds?  

There should be opportunities in the Big 12 tournament. It would be nice to draw Oklahoma State in the semifinals and then TCU in the finals. I think RPI will be fine if there aren't a bunch of upsets at the Big 12 tournament because Texas should draw a couple decent teams there (i.e. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and TCU). 

I'm surprised we are at #30 in RPI after beating #108 Kansas. Maybe some of the earlier results are helping Texas? Like the UCF tie? 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

There should be opportunities in the Big 12 tournament. It would be nice to draw Oklahoma State in the semifinals and then TCU in the finals. I think RPI will be fine if there aren't a bunch of upsets at the Big 12 tournament because Texas should draw a couple decent teams there (i.e. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and TCU). 

I'm surprised we are at #30 in RPI after beating #108 Kansas. Maybe some of the earlier results are helping Texas? Like the UCF tie? 

I'm gonna guess the RPI is going to be wonky with the increase in regular season ties with the OT rule gone for the regular season.  There's teams littered in the top 20 with 2, 3 even 4 ties. #26 BYU has 5 ties. 

The blog that does the most analysis of the NCAA Women's Soccer RPI/Tournament has Texas predicted to finish #22 in the RPI and in the group of teams under discussion for a #4 seed with TCU finishing #18 and in the discussion for a 3 seed.  He projects both to be unseeded though (TCU unseeded AQ and Texas unseeded at-large). 

RPI and Bracketology for D1 Women's Soccer Blogspace (rpiford1wsoccer.blogspot.com)

• Hook 'Em 1