Texas Women's Soccer

Js1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I asked in the summer about Kelly sticking after this season and the company line was that she needed to win in the tournament. I guess we're about to find out if anyone gives a shit that matters. 

I’m guessing we hear nothing until TCU is done playing 

The Angela Kelly NCAA tournament at Texas profile:

2012: Did not make tournament

2013: Did not make tournament

2014: 2nd round exit

2015: Did not make tournament

2016: Did not make tournament

2017: 3rd round!!

2018: 1st round exit

2019: 1st round exit (CDC gives Kelly a 3 year extension)

2020: Did not make tournament

2021: 1st round exit

2022: (TBD. Final year of contract)

Yeah, she's headed into the final year of her contract.  Usually there's at least something by now to indicate if she will continue. 

CDC declined to renew Connie Clark's contract a year before she resigned.  CDC also declined to renew Aston's contract a year before was let go.  So either Kelly is a lame duck next year or we part ways now. 

Yeah, CDC won’t fire Kelly until the coach he wants is done in the tournament. 

That’s fairly important with this roster too because there’s potential for the next coach to walk into a very good roster if we can keep this FR class together. 

The last thing we need is a two week long search while every major program comes and poach all these talented FR. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, she's headed into the final year of her contract.  Usually there's at least something by now to indicate if she will continue. 

CDC declined to renew Connie Clark's contract a year before she resigned.  CDC also declined to renew Aston's contract a year before was let go.  So either Kelly is a lame duck next year or we part ways now. 

$200k buyout for 1 year of her contract. 

That’s nothing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, CDC won’t fire Kelly until the coach he wants is done in the tournament. 

That’s fairly important with this roster too because there’s potential for the next coach to walk into a very good roster if we can keep this FR class together. 

The last thing we need is a two week long search while every major program comes and poach all these talented FR. 

That's just not CDC's MO

It was like 3 days between Aston being let go and Vic being announced
I think it was 6 days between Shaka announcing he was leaving to Beard being announced

The only weird one was Mike White - 1 month and 2 days between Clark retiring and White being hired.  I mean, Floreal too, but we had an interim coach after Sategna was fired in February 2018.  The 2018 NCAA T&F championship was June 6-9 and Floreal was hired June 13. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Baylor's coach resigned. Kind of weird. Jobson isn't a top tier coach but he isn't bad either. 

What is going on at Baylor? 

Mulkey (women's basketball) left, Jobson (soccer) resigned, Boland (men's tennis) resigned all in the last year. Somebody will poach McGuyre soon in volleyball. 

They’re being relegated.

15 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Grosso got her degree so so she’s moving on. I’m sure she was offered grad school if she wanted it, but I think the gold medalist is making the right call here to go pro

Probably also wouldn’t want to put off going pro to play for a new coach 

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Somebody told me the other day that Plonsky is being a bitch about firing Kelly. 

Apparently, she didn’t want to get rid of Aston either. 

But there's not a damn thing she can do about it, right? Thought the hiring/firing decisions are entirely with CDC now and she doesn't have any official way to influence that?

12 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I think Angela is the last woman coaching hire from Plonsky's reign, so she's going to pull out all the stops to keep her because she's more concerned about her legacy of hiring female coaches than winning.

It is no longer her job to hire and fire coaches.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/27/2021 at 3:00 PM, conVINCEd said:

Take her off the payroll.

this is the correct answer.  

that said, I guess I see why CDC is just letting contracts run out for Aston and Connie.  that way he doesn't have to deal with "firing" and Plonsky's bullshit.  makes me think the soccer coach will be here next year.  its women's soccer. no one really cares if she coaches one more year and if CDC can get the right person to wait a year its all good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...