Texas Women's Basketball 2019-2020 Season

LTtxfan

22 hours ago, ruitxn said:

Aston fired her best shot three years ago with some, but limited success. What everyone discovered and Mulkey laughed at was that Aston could recruit but didn’t have a clue how to coach an elite program.  Her gig was over.  First the losses with talent.  Now, the losses without talent.  Until we get new leadership that can actually coach...the gig is over.

And 3 years ago was when she got that 3 year extension.  It's been eerily quiet on the renewal front - CDC let her go into this season without a renewal in hand, making 2019-2020 a make or break year. 

In conclusion: 

Image result for bye felicia gif

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

Names of who we would want?

Throw some money at Walz. A la Mike White.
Get Niele Ivey from the Grizzlies, she is going to be an amazing college coach.
Shea Ralph - don’t discount what she’s learned under Geno for 11 years. 

Had a little break and looked at the remaining schedule.  

0-5 is not out of the realm of possibility when conference play starts. 

I think they might (**might**) go 1-2 when they head to the Hawaii tournament. 

@ Tennessee is a L

Stanford at home might be a 35+ point blowout, especially if we just lost to a mediocre Arizona at home by 25.

Gonna be a LONG season

On 11/8/2019 at 6:36 AM, LTtxfan said:

Hopefully CDC can outmaneuver KA and Jody's clan and get a new women's basketball coach for the 2020-21 season.

KA just can't compete with Baylor...

So ready for Aston to be gone.  What's Karen's contract situation at Texas??

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So ready for Aston to be gone.  What's Karen's contract situation at Texas??

3 year extension in 2016 that runs through the end of this season.  So she's basically coaching for a contract extension.  It ain't looking good. 

• Like 1

Gross.  16 point win against UTRGV

47% shooting and 39% from three

20 turnovers (this is literally a hallmark of Aston's team - 20ish turnovers per game)

I am heartened to see Celeste hit 3 threes.  Hopefully that gets her going.  Collier had a miserable game (2-10 shooting, 6-6 FT, 11 points, 5 turnovers, 4 fouls)

Actually, under Karen, my turnover numbers were an exaggeration, we haven't average 20/game since her first year but we are creeping back up.  On pace for 3rd worse turnovers/game since Karen has been here. 

2012-13: 20.3
2013-14: 18.2
2014-15: 16.3
2015-16: 15.9
2016-17: 15.2
2017-18: 14.9
2018-19: 16.2
2019-20: 17.9

Yesssssssssssssss national media is giving Aston the business

Texas

Something just doesn't seem right in Austin, Texas. Last season's promise turned into disappointment and ended in a first-round NCAA tournament loss to Indiana. After a 2-2 start to this season, the Longhorns are already on alert. They haven't dropped from the field yet, but they have tumbled from a top-16 team in October's preseason bracket to one not all that far from the bubble. Texas is a No. 9 seed in Thursday's projection.

Editor's Picks

Coach Karen Aston has used different starting lineups in all four of Texas' games, searching for the right chemistry. It wasn't there in a 25-point home loss to Arizona on Sunday, or in the season opener, a 64-57 defeat at South Florida.

The two wins (Texas-Arlington and UT Rio Grande Valley) do nothing for the résumé, and the Longhorns can no longer be considered a lock for a tournament berth. Games against NC State, Stanford and Tennessee await before Big 12 play, but without a win in at least one of those matchups, Texas will enter the new year playing for its postseason life.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28130493/undefined

The Longhorns face the Wolfpack Friday to open the Rainbow Wahine Showdown.

Texas [3-2] vs. No. 12 NC State [5-0]
November 29, 2019
Where: Honolulu, Hawaii
Arena: Stan Sheriff Center [10,300]
Time: 6:30 p.m. CT
TV/Stream: None
Radio: 105.3 FM [Roger Wallace, Kathy Harston]
All-Time Series: Texas leads 6-1

https://texassports.com/news/2019/11/28/womens-basketball-preview-no-12-nc-state.aspx

Edited by LTtxfan

Tonight will be interesting

Hawaii hung with NC State and only lost by 9.  Meanwhile, we creep by Nawf Texas. 

3rd game in a row on the island with them having home court.  Gonna be interesting if we lose to a Big West schoo.

EDIT: Hawaii isn’t even in the WAC anymore—they are the Big West (wtf?)

Edited by Pancho

On 11/19/2019 at 1:08 PM, Pancho said:

Had a little break and looked at the remaining schedule.  

0-5 is not out of the realm of possibility when conference play starts. 

I think they might (**might**) go 1-2 when they head to the Hawaii tournament. 

@ Tennessee is a L

Stanford at home might be a 35+ point blowout, especially if we just lost to a mediocre Arizona at home by 25.

Gonna be a LONG season

😬

On 12/5/2019 at 9:36 AM, Goodman said:

Ok, well who are the top targets?

Big time: Jeff Walz
More of a chance: Niele Ivey - ND ain’t opening up anytime soon

an up and comer like Lisa Fortier at Gonzaga who succeeded Graves (Oregon)

Teri Moran at Indiana

Maybe a top tier assistant like Shae Ralph from UConn

• Like 1

You would think that a job like Texas would be able to get nearly anyone they want.  Texas is still a top jobin women's basketball.  The problem is, we've fallen off.  But with a new arena and the recruiting base, there's no reason we couldn't get a top name.  However, like @Js1is hinting, we might have to go the assistant route which may not be a bad thing.  Hell when KM was hired at Baylor, she had no HC experience (was just an assistant at Louisiana Tech) and look at them. 

Walz should be the 1st phone call--no questions asked.  Make him say no. 

Then work your way down.   I would like CDC to check with Becky Hammon to gauge interest, but I think she's primarly a professional coach who may not want to recruit. 

I'd say Schaefer but he's 58 years old and will probably be at MSU the rest of his career.  Aggy is dumb enough to hire him though after Blair retires. 

It's going to be interesting to see a.) if CDC hires a male and b.) who he goes after.  I mean, I didn't think we'd get Gail from Duke but we did.  So I'm confident some names will be interested because of our situation above (recruiting, new arena).  I just hope Jody and Chris have their hands off of this hire.  If we got the Oregon softball coach, I'm confident we can get some names for this job. 

Finally, they feel bad for us yet are happy at our demise.  Time to put these mofos back to pasture: https://sicem365.com/forums/4/topics/56547

• Like 3

42-36 Texas at halftime. 

We are shooting lights out.  How Tennessee can't figure out to drive the ball instead of taking 15 foot jumpers, I'll never know.  Once they do, we done. 

I also don't expect us to continue shooting as hot as we are in the 2nd half.