Obi-Wan Series on Disney+ Staring Ewan McGregor

Viper

18 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Even if you can explain away the formality in her initial plea, what about her complete lack of recognition or sorrow when he died on the Death Star? 

It’s becoming more clear that the best way to enjoy Star Wars is to watch the original trilogy and then nothing else.

If you say so.

Interesting talk between Obi-Wan and Uncle Owen. Obi-Wan has buried his lightsaber, instructs other jedi to do the same, is completely cut off from the force, "The fight is over, we lost", etc. And yet he's still pushing the "Luke will need to be trained" thing to Owen. 

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Interesting talk between Obi-Wan and Uncle Owen. Obi-Wan has buried his lightsaber, instructs other jedi to do the same, is completely cut off from the force, "The fight is over, we lost", etc. And yet he's still pushing the "Luke will need to be trained" thing to Owen. 

“This weapon is your life.” 

Btw that "fight" between Vader and Obi-Wan is what every fight in the sequel trilogy where Adam Driver is fighting a non-jedi who doesn't know how to use a lightsaber, should have looked like. Just playing around with him and then tossing him around like a rag doll.

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

I watched the first three episodes the last couple of nights. This was my main thought. I wonder if Obi-Wan wipes her memory or something. 

"General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the clone wars. Oh and also that one time eight years ago I was kidnapped multiple times and we went on this crazy fucking adventure. Anyway...."

So far, we have no idea if she has any idea that Ben is also "General Kenobi." 

I may be in the minority here but I’ve never been hardcore about the finer details in Star Wars. I mean, we watched Leia in a new hope have a British accent for the first 30 min of the movie then American for the rest. Then there’s Luke’s “force kick” blooper that was done hilariously bad. The list is endless for a franchise worth billions but still seems to goof up shit along the way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/3/2022 at 8:25 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

You sure it's that MCU knows how to still have fun and not that you are taking this children's space fantasy story a little too seriously?

Lol well said.  Here because I enjoy the show so far and casual SW fan, but mainly here to see SW nerds hot takes.

56 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I had never noticed or heard of the force kick blooper. 

same here.  Thought that was Gary Anderson.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I had never noticed or heard of the force kick blooper. 

1 hour ago, slorch said:

same here.  Thought that was Gary Anderson.

stunts epic fails GIF by Neon Panda MX

it was a bad choreographed and shot sequence that fans jokingly labeled the “force kick”. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’ve seen ROTJ a hundred times and never noticed that before. Do people watch The Godfather and complain about when Sonny beats up Carlo?

I’m all for criticizing shitty work, like Episode 8. But it seems like some people just want to pick to pick.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’ve seen ROTJ a hundred times and never noticed that before. Do people watch The Godfather and complain about when Sonny beats up Carlo?

I’m all for criticizing shitty work, like Episode 8. But it seems like some people just want to pick to pick.

I have never noticed it also, but I always notice the stormtrooper hitting his head in ANH

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

stunts epic fails GIF by Neon Panda MX

it was a bad choreographed and shot sequence that fans jokingly labeled the “force kick”. 

1 hour ago, Hate said:

1 hour ago, nineliveslost said:

I have never noticed it also, but I always notice the stormtrooper hitting his head in ANH

Hahaha same. But the best is the guy “flying” by in the background. Like fucking Bon Jovi over there. 

• Haha 2

I like the show so far but I actually find this thread more entertaining. I am looking forward to people questioning the fact that we never see Jedi take shits. Do they not have bowel movements? Continuity issues!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So I did a survey of folks I know watching.

They were all fine with the first two episodes, and then holy fuck they decided to polarize themselves over the third one, just like this thread.

It's literally this:

I'm definitely the fan sitting in the chair. I've seen the movies and all the animated shows but just don't care enough about Star Wars canon. Star Wars never was great with continuity and it's canon was fairly sparse for a long time compared to Star Trek. It's just something I always watched for simple entertainment I don't think it's as dissictable as Star Trek (Prior to JJ Abrams fuckery).

• Hook 'Em 2

I like the show so far but I actually find this thread more entertaining. I am looking forward to people questioning the fact that we never see Jedi take shits. Do they not have bowel movements? Continuity issues!

Can a jedi give himself a stranger with the force?

3 hours ago, Hate said:

t-minus 8 hours for the mad dash to the keyboard to see who can use the most words to take the biggest shit on the next episode 

• Like 1

The internet nerds just won't think anything is as badass as the stories they made up when they were 8 playing with their star wars action figures.

Those stories probably also sucked but they don't know that because they were 8 at the time.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 6/6/2022 at 10:39 AM, Red Five said:

That little walkie talkie deal between Obi-Wan and Bail Organa sure will be useful in exactly eight years. Hope they don't lose that or anything. 

I think the Empire is moving away from 3G and transitioning to 5G. Sucks for Bail and Ben. 

• Haha 2

Finally caught up with this after being out to town last week. I'm enjoying it. It has issues but I like PTSD Obi-wan who's afraid to get involved. He's there to watch over Luke, not get involved in saving people and giving both of them away. Reva is meh but I think Inquisitors are a bit silly to begin with but we can't have Vader in everything. It's like bringing in Superman as a villain. It's a prequel and you know Obi Wan and Leia don't die in it so there's less suspense. But if it fleshes out the OT story a bit and makes parts of the OT more meaningful, like seeing Alderaan as more than just a planet that gets blown up, I'm good with that. I think we'll see another fight that will make the "when I left you I was but the learner" line fit. I had my reservations about this being made but I'm okay with it so far. Maybe I'm just getting easier to please in my older years.

• Hook 'Em 2

Hahaha same. But the best is the guy “flying” by in the background. Like fucking Bon Jovi over there. 

That dude flying by like a fat chick on ice skates was deemed by fans to be the baddest bad ass in the SW universe. The same nerds complaining about this stupid show.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

New episode is pretty fun, good action and story evolution to show how people were forced to pick a side before the rebellion really had coalesced. 

Spoiler

I got some Indiana Jones raiding the submarine base vibes what with sneaking in and around, and then shooting their way back out. Chuckled when Ben's disguise was just a hat and a cloak with Leia obviously hiding under it lol.

Definitely a couple of story beats to nitpick here and there but fuck all that noise, I'm having fun

Of all the excuses being made for this show, “Star Wars nerds just hate everything” is the laziest.

Pretty much everyone agrees Rogue One was good.
Pretty much everyone agrees Mandalorian was good.
Pretty much everyone who took the time to watch them agrees that Clone Wars and Rebels was excellent.
You could argue that pretty much everyone agrees that The Force Awakens is good but I don’t want to summon the JJ Abrams haters because then they’ll start talking about Star Trek.

This show is not good. It’s OK. It’s not God awful. It’s just not good. Disney has more money than God and also has Filoni. Everything should be good.

One thing that seems to be universally picked on was the choice to cast Flea. I actually liked him, and bonus he already looks like an alien.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Lotta cool Fallen Order parallels, I enjoyed that 

I'm pretty sure they used the same glass breaking effect from the game lol. You'd think they'd have that fixed in the base by the time Cal rolled through a few years later

Spoiler

It's funny how Vader was ok with Reva planting a tracking device and letting Obi Wan escape - I wonder if this is a dramatic irony thing where we as viewers already know that it's going to blow up in their faces.

Vader did the exact same thing in ANH and it put him on Palpatine's shit list for quite some time

13 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I’m disappointed that I’m not Star Wars nerd enough to recognize any of the people on display. Thought they might throw out at least one “mainstream” character for the novices. 

I'm pretty nerdy and I didn't recognize anyone in particular in the inquisitor's vault. I do wonder what they're doing with so many force sensitives in deep freeze though...

Pretty lazy writing.  How are the main characters going to get out of this doozy of a mess?  Are they going to outwit or out fight the empire?

No, we'll just introduce a couple of throw away characters 5 minutes before, and they'll save the day.

I want to like this show, but so far I don't.  I hope it gets better.

1 hour ago, Colonel Sanders said:

No, we'll just introduce a couple of throw away characters 5 minutes before, and they'll save the day.

To me, it sort of epitomized the early days of the rebellion - ordinary people realizing they had to be soldiers if they wanted to make a difference.  Hauling sewage or whatever wasn't going to bring down the Empire. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

You could argue that pretty much everyone agrees that The Force Awakens is good but I don’t want to summon the JJ Abrams haters because then they’ll start talking about Star Trek.

No, not everyone agrees TFA was good.  It was lazy as fuck to remake A New Hope, and there's nothing good about taking the happy ending of ROTJ and destroying it and shitting all over Luke/Leia/Han just because you want to "do something different" and "put your own stamp" on Star Wars.  And given that it was the start of a trilogy, it was poor writing to not even bother outlining the next two movies, especially if you weren't going to make one or both.

The Force Awakens is basically Picard in movie form - take a beloved character and just make them a miserable shadow of themselves, for no discernible reason plot-wise other than you are trying to be edgy or "do something different", because everybody wants to see the hero of the OT milking a fucking manatee.   That's just shitty and lazy writing/directing on the part of Abrams.  

Abrams drove home his shitty storytelling/directing in TFA by bringing the fucking Emperor back in IX.  

For fuck's sake, Abrams made the prequels look good, because at least George was doing something different.

Edit: Hell, I'll talk Obi-Wan over the sequel trilogy.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1