Obi-Wan Series on Disney+ Staring Ewan McGregor

Viper

22 hours ago, mdmost said:

Really enjoyed that episode. The parallels to Empire were pretty good. Vader with the video game move on the starship. Enjoyed the Anakin training as that was something AOTC could've used. 

Hide contents

Somehow, the Grand Inquisitor returned

EM-aYgvU0AAaXQH.jpg

Yep. Him walking fast through the tunnels reminded me exactly of ESB. Then of course the training parallels. I think the theory may have some weight to it now. 

10 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Am I nuts, or was this episode of Vader significantly more powerful than in the original movies? Reva hitting at air and unable to land any swings until Vader decided he wanted to fight seems inconsistent. He seems invincible in this iteration 

If you want to rationalize it, age wise this is probably his peak. Early 30’s, been studying the dark side for ten years. By the OT, he was in his 40’s and been on a respirator for 20 years. He still whooped mortals’ asses in Rogue One and mostly beat Luke’s ass. 

On 6/15/2022 at 10:16 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah… I think Jones and his estate will have final say on that.  

Didn’t Disney say they are already using an AI version of JEJ’s voice in this series? I don’t think he recorded anything new. 

10 hours ago, F250 said:

Yeah, she was going after Vader either way, he just expedited it.

Plot hole (?): if she was going to foolishly attack Vader one-on-one, why now and not literally any time before now? Kenobi offered a tag team which would have been her best bet, but she turned it down and then attempted a foolish play. She might as well have just started putting bombs in his crapper dome thing where he hangs out while on his star destroyer. 

Will her next play be to try to steal Luke to give her another chance to kill Vader (now or later on)…even though she just passed on Kenobi’s offer to team up? Or go full dark side and try to steal Luke to win back Vader’s favor? There’s no way she tells Vader or that an Inquisitor finds out about Luke, because Vader wouldn’t have let that shit sit around for 9 years (and not think it’s a coincidence when Leia drops the droids with Death Star plans off on Tatooine). I’m afraid this story is about to make even less sense…and every scene/interaction young Leia has with Ben makes her behavior in Episode 4 (and not telling Luke about it before ESB or ROTJ) very bizarre. 

• Hook 'Em 2

lol.  dude is 91.  it's disney.  it's the ~biggest franchise of all time.
that negotiation has already happened.

I’m sure they’ve already had him sit in a session to record a ton of samples so they can do deep fake voice work anytime they want. Basically what they did with Kilmer for Top Gun 2.

10 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If you want to rationalize it, age wise this is probably his peak. Early 30’s, been studying the dark side for ten years. By the OT, he was in his 40’s and been on a respirator for 20 years. He still whooped mortals’ asses in Rogue One and mostly beat Luke’s ass. 

Didn’t Disney say they are already using an AI version of JEJ’s voice in this series? I don’t think he recorded anything new. 

Plot hole (?): if she was going to foolishly attack Vader one-on-one, why now and not literally any time before now? Kenobi offered a tag team which would have been her best bet, but she turned it down and then attempted a foolish play. She might as well have just started putting bombs in his crapper dome thing where he hangs out while on his star destroyer. 

Will her next play be to try to steal Luke to give her another chance to kill Vader (now or later on)…even though she just passed on Kenobi’s offer to team up? Or go full dark side and try to steal Luke to win back Vader’s favor? There’s no way she tells Vader or that an Inquisitor finds out about Luke, because Vader wouldn’t have let that shit sit around for 9 years (and not think it’s a coincidence when Leia drops the droids with Death Star plans off on Tatooine). I’m afraid this story is about to make even less sense…and every scene/interaction young Leia has with Ben makes her behavior in Episode 4 (and not telling Luke about it before ESB or ROTJ) very bizarre. 

I guess she's just young and emotional?  I still contend Obi left her to die to save the civilians.  Very un Jedi like.

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I guess she's just young and emotional?  I still contend Obi left her to die to save the civilians.  Very un Jedi like.

Disagree.

His initial plan was for them to “take him together.” He knew neither of them were a match for Vader 1v1.  He even told her that she couldn’t handle him, but she steadfastly refused.

So at that point he didn’t have much of a choice. His focus was to save the civilians and Leia. If Reva was bound and determined to take on Vader by herself there wasn’t much he could do to stop her, so he may as well use the opportunity to accomplish his primary goal.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Yeah somewhere along the way, Disney needs to realize that just having a mass of stormtroopers is worthless if they don't actually doing anything worthwhile. They're just cannon fodder. 

In retrospect, the stormtroopers shredding those Alderaan dudes in Leia’s ship at the beginning of Star Wars was like Texas beating Rutgers in 1997. A single instance of seeming invincibility was quickly overshadowed by a long run of laughable incompetence. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

If Reva encounters Vader again she has to die. It’s the only thing that would make any sense.

Also I didn’t realize they put Hayden in the Vader suit for this.

It doesn't make sense that she isn't already dead.

18 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The red letter media review is out.

Summary in spoiler:

Spoiler

The Red Letter guys were surprisingly positive-ish, although their modest praise came with the caveat that everything Star Wars sucks now and the bar is ridiculously low. They did share a lot of the criticisms on this thread, like how cheap the production is in many respects, the incompatibility with the OT narrative, and the poor performance of much of the cast.

But overall their take was: Star Wars is broken now and it’s all incoherent schlock, so you might as well turn off your brain and your nostalgia and enjoy the ride.

Plinkett has gotten soft. I’m still too discerning to really enjoy this without criticizing its numerous failings. It’s a good way to kill an hour each week, I guess. But I wouldn’t say I am fond of the series or find it interesting. Frankly, it’s mostly enjoyable for impromptu MST3K-style riffing.

• Hook 'Em 1

When Reva was impaled, I was happy. Finally they're killing off this terrible character. Then I remembered in the Obi Wan world, getting stabbed in the abdomen doesn't kill you. I'm sure she'll be heavily involved in the finale.  

I have no idea why Vader or the Grand Inquisitor didn't finish her off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Tomorrow. They are released on Wednesdays.

Maybe he's in Alaska or Hawaii.  

Tomorrow for everyone in the continental US. 

I prefer the Amazon release time - midnight GMT

Edited by Js1

On 6/17/2022 at 3:32 PM, mdmost said:

Yeah somewhere along the way, Disney needs to realize that just having a mass of stormtroopers is worthless if they don't actually doing anything worthwhile. They're just cannon bantha fodder. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I believe the large Stormtrooper set pierces are volunteers. The name of the group escapes me, but they used them previously in Mando. I think they’re there to look impressive and not contribute anything meaningful to the plot/direction of the show. And they’re free, so they might as well. 

It doesn’t bother me any longer. Kind of like the abuse of physics in Fast and the Furious franchise. 

Spoiler

I thought the Vader scenes in Obi Wan have been bad ass. His fight with Reva or whatever her name is (who cares) I really liked because he moved like a guy who is very powerful but not mobile. The way he moved his feet, pivoted away, used blunt force to create space, etc was all pretty cool. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I believe the large Stormtrooper set pierces are volunteers. The name of the group escapes me, but they used them previously in Mando. I think they’re there to look impressive and not contribute anything meaningful to the plot/direction of the show. And they’re free, so they might as well. 

It doesn’t bother me any longer. Kind of like the abuse of physics in Fast and the Furious franchise. 

Isn’t there a group of people that do the 501st clone trooper thing as well? 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yes but..........

Hide contents

Missed a perfect "Now I have the high ground, BITCH!" from Vader. 

Of course the show had some problems, but if the choice is to have this content or not, hell yes I’ll take as much Obi Wan and Vader as they will create. 

• Like 1

The final battle between Obi-Wan and Darth was spectacular. His voice switching back and forth from Anakin to Darth was so damn good. The color changes on him from blue to red was also a nice touch. The combat showing Vader having overall better skill than Obi-Wan but still not fully in tune with his emotions fits with the previous episode. Because of Vaders hatred towards Obi-Wan, he can’t climb over the hill and defeat him. Something big needed to happen between the two of them for him to realize what being Vader really means, and the added Papa palps scene in the end carried it home. I think these last two episodes have done a great job in adding depth to the two’s story in ANH.  

And of course “You didn’t kill Anakin, I did”.  **long pause** “Goodbye Darth”
If You Say So Wow GIF by Barstool Sports

• Hook 'Em 7

Really enjoyed it.

The series wasn’t perfect by any means but shit… the last two episodes slammed and went hard. 

I liked how they ended Reva’s story. I had a feeling they were going to have Owen kill her… I liked this choice better.

The only real bug-a-boo for me was the Leia/Obi-wan relationship got too deep to explain away how she reacts to him in ANH by “well she was only 10.” 

But overall, I found the series to be an enjoyable watch. I’d give it about a 6.5/10 overall…. Definitely way better than non-Mando Boba episodes, but also not nearly as good as Mando.

Loves the final battle. Excellent acting and direction. Liked the detail of their light Sabres turn purple for a second when they clash.

Obi gets his groove back and smites anakin like the bitch he's always been. 

He didn't beat Vader, he beat Anakin.

Obi 1 owns his soul like stoops owns mack browns. Living rent free in his head.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Loves the final battle. Excellent acting and direction. Liked the detail of their light Sabres turn purple for a second when they clash.

Obi gets his groove back and smites anakin like the bitch he's always been. 

He didn't beat Vader, he beat Anakin.

Obi 1 owns his soul like stoops owns mack browns. Living rent free in his head.

Was also happy for Hayden Christiansen that he got to be a part of some really cool Star Wars stuff.

The guy is not a terrible actor (see “Shattered Glass”), but he was just saddled with possibly the worst of George Lucas’ terrible prequel dialog, which is saying something.

That stuff aside, he was always EXCELLENT with the physical stuff, including all of the lightsaber action… so it was pretty cool bringing his specific physicality to the Vader role in this series.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Was also happy for Hayden Christiansen that he got to be a part of some really cool Star Wars stuff.

The guy is not a terrible actor (see “Shattered Glass”), but he was just saddled with possibly the worst of George Lucas’ terrible prequel dialog, which is saying something.

That stuff aside, he was always EXCELLENT with the physical stuff, including all of the lightsaber action… so it was pretty cool bringing his specific physicality to the Vader role in this series.

100% agree.  At least he can get that off his back.