Obi-Wan Series on Disney+ Staring Ewan McGregor

Viper

The show was entertaining enough and the Obi-Wan Vade duel was pretty badass.  I liked the way he went after his life support.

I just would have rather they not have ruined so much continuity with the OT.  Obi-Wan should have never met Leia and really shouldn't have met Vader again either.

Beru could get it.  The next 10 years are going to be almost as rough on her as on Obi-Wan.

Some more nitpicking...it was lame that Luke just fell off a rock and went to sleep.  I wanted to see him show a little bit of fight at least.  And Obi-Wan can just instantaneously teleport back to Tatooine now?

23 minutes ago, WBT said:

The show was entertaining enough and the Obi-Wan Vade duel was pretty badass.  I liked the way he went after his life support.

I just would have rather they not have ruined so much continuity with the OT.  Obi-Wan should have never met Leia and really shouldn't have met Vader again either.

Same. Was I entertained? Yes. Did this show need to exist? Not really 

[Continuity bitching]: Why does Obi Wan tell Luke in RTJ that he has to face and kill Vader and seem disappointed when Luke tells him he can’t….after Obi Wan chose not to kill Anakin on Mustafar, and didn’t kill him in this series when he had the chance to do it over?

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

[Continuity bitching]: Why does Obi Wan tell Luke in RTJ that he has to face and kill Vader and seem disappointed when Luke tells him he can’t….after Obi Wan chose not to kill Anakin on Mustafar, and didn’t kill him in this series when he had the chance to do it over?

It is assumed that Obi-Wan thought he did kill Anakin on Mustafar. Missing every limb and looked like burned chicken. In this most recent duel, he’s going through a ton of emotion, e.g. starting to tear up seeing Anakins face for the first time probably sent him to an area in his mind that is tough for him to reconcile with. It’s like why didn’t Vader just force move the flames again and finish Obi-Wan right then. I think they’re just really conflicted with each other and neither of them could pull the trigger when they got the chance to.

The RTJ thing is interesting. I’m going to run with the thinking that Obi-Wan thought about his error for 9 years and thought Luke needed to finish the job. Vader can’t keep escaping death. Obi-Wan probably thought about the “I killed Anakin” from Vader harder after their battle and should have finished him off and not even his own son could bring him back to the light. The whole Vader is more machine now and that since Luke won’t kill Vader, the emperor has already won, makes a bit more sense now from Obi-Wans pov imo. 

Edited by DoneWithit
  • Hook 'Em 2

Well this series was an empty bag. 

going back an episode, I chuckled a little when, after standing at the gate and letting that big gun fire away over and over, reva is able to put her saber through it like warm butter. 

I can brush it off, and have, but it was quite unnecessary when they could have just had her step back and one more shot does the job. 

as with pretty much every star wars entity, use and magnitude of the force is highly inconsistent. 

Do y'all do this every time James Bond somehow escapes the stupid way a bad guy tries to kill him?  Or when the bad guys just can't seem to shoot him, but he never misses?  Or when he makes some super human effort to avoid death and manage to catch the bad guy? 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Light saber duel was fucking awesome.

Everything else was stupid.

Obi-Wan just walked off and left Vader alive… again?!? At least make it seem like he’s not a fucking dumbass and that he actually tried to fix his past mistakes, but was prevented from doing so by Imperial troops or the Emperor or some shit.

The dialogue was dumb as hell. Obi-Wan runs up as Owen and Beru are staring off into the desert, shouting “Luke! Luke! Where are you?” and he asks them “WHERE IS HE?!?” Who the fuck wrote this tripe? It’s just lazy, bad stuff. (The kids and I had a blast MST3K riffing it, though.)

We got some great Vader action and a badass duel or two. But this series was fanfic through and through, complete with sloppy discontinuities, ham-handed fan service, and lazy dumb dialogue.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hate said:

Do y'all do this every time James Bond somehow escapes the stupid way a bad guy tries to kill him?  Or when the bad guys just can't seem to shoot him, but he never misses?  Or when he makes some super human effort to avoid death and manage to catch the bad guy? 

Maybe?

I wanted to forgive, and then I saw the finale. It could have been 10 minute tops. Show the duel, roll credits. 

My issues: 

- The Twilight of the Apprentice homage was too on the nose. 
- Reva should have died in Episode 5. She contributed nothing to the finale. One of the most poorly written characters in Star Wars History. This includes the prequels. All that said, Kathleen Kennedy probably just ordered a Reva spin off. 
- Vader doesn’t kneel before the emperor, and sits on a throne when speaking to him. Uh, WTF?!

- A Rise of Skywalker tribute? Are you trying to cause a riot?!

Positives: 

- The score. Best yet in Star Wars TV. 
- Force Ghost cameo.

- Alderaan in live action. It’s supposed to be the most beautiful planet in the universe and it looked great in the brief scene. 

Unless Mando/Andor bails Disney out, they have a growing problem here with Star Wars TV. The cartoons are better than live action. Ask Warner Bros how that worked out for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Some more nitpicking.  The duel was great visually and solid storytelling but did Vader just leave obi under a pile of rocks thinking he was dead.  That’s out of character.  I thought the fight made Vader look weak which is unrealistic jmo.   But the show is called obi won for a reason

A pretty reasonable explanation is that Vader believed he just buried Obi-wan under a few tons of rocks and that Obi-wan didn’t have anywhere near the strength to get out of it; so he, in effect, buried Obi-wan alive - while standing over him and talking shit about how he beat him.

That’s actually a pretty brutal and sadistic way to kill someone so I think it’s completely in-line with what Vader would want to do to him.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

The duel was great visually and solid storytelling but did Vader just leave obi under a pile of rocks thinking he was dead.  That’s out of character.

Last episode he just left Reva alive for no reason.  What this show supposes is what if Vader but kinder and gentler?

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Btw Obi-Wan slashing the mask was

Hide contents

totally lifted from Rebels

cool

Thought it was a neat little thing they did. Ahsoka slashed the right side and Obi-Wan slashed the left side. Both characters were close to Anakin and they both got to see what he had become. 

40 minutes ago, WBT said:

Last episode he just left Reva alive for no reason.  What this show supposes is what if Vader but kinder and gentler?

Vader snapped a kids neck while he was trying to save his dad. Pretty brutal 

This show turned out entertaining yet utterly pointless within the star wars universe and created some weird inconsistencies. No season 2 plz 

I thought it was only planned for one . What would season 2 be about ? Him chilling in a cave for years jerking off like crazy ?

40 minutes ago, Red Five said:

“So what told you was true, from a certain point of view.” He said Vader killed Anakin.

Yep, powerful moment between Vader and Obi-Wan. It’s basically telling Luke what happened straight from man himself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What he told him is true from his dad’s point of view. That was the whole point. To drive the nail on that Obi Wan explanation (which didn’t really need it as I think the whole “Luke you are going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view” is some of this most sage advice given in all of Star Wars)

Best live action lightsaber duel this Millenium.

Good series. Not great. Not even really necessary as a series, but I was entertained…and that’s the point.

• Like 1

Awesome series!

Team Bitchassness members clearly struggled to have an attractive woman touch them in an intimate manner during their lifetime. That makes one bitter and nitpicky about shit that doesn't really matter.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Xminus6 said:
  Hide contents

I’m not really even sure what Reva’s motivation was to go after Luke? It’s not as if she was going to get back into Vader’s good graces. 

I think it was revenge…she was going to murder Anakin’s kid. 

It’s not quite the same as the Raiders of the Lost Ark bit where the story was pointless (because if Indiana Jones had not been in the movie, everything would have worked out the exact same), but this entire series entirely hinges on Reva kidnapping Leia as part of a greater plan to kill Vader. She ends up pointlessly trying to stab him in the back, which she could have done at any time during the past several years. What was the point of it all? And when in the fifth episode when Obi Wan offered to team up and give her the best opportunity for success, she rejected it just to do what she could have all along. 

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I think it was revenge…she was going to murder Anakin’s kid. 

How does she know Luke is Anakin’s kid?  How does she know Leila’s kidnapping will draw out kenobi?  Does she know that leia is anakin’s kid?

her initial plan appears to be kill anakin. But she needed to be grand inquisitor in order to do it?  And when she tried and failed, plan b is to kill a kid, which is what got her all messed up to begin with?

I think some of you just don't like Star Wars as much as you want to think you do. 

I like it exactly as much as I think I like it, which is “not much” lately.

It is absolutely possible to take old beloved characters and material and dust it off decades later and do great things with it. See: Maverick. Star Wars sucks at it. It’s too bad, that’s all.

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How does she know Luke is Anakin’s kid?  How does she know Leila’s kidnapping will draw out kenobi?  Does she know that leia is anakin’s kid?

Did you watch the show? 

Spoiler

The dropped communicator on Jabiim by the fake Jedi with Bail mentioning he was headed to Tattooine to protect Luke because he hadn't heard from Obi Wan.  "If Vader learns of the children....If I don't hear from you soon, I'll head to Tattooine.  Owen will need help with the boy" 

Spoiler

Because she found info in the archives showing a relationship between Bail and Obi Wan and figured if Leia was kidnapped, Bail would reach out to his Jedi buddy

Spoiler

I don't think she ever figured this out? 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, gernblansten said:

The Russian military is in awe of stormtrooper competency. 

Always laughed at how slow the troopers shoot their pew-pew guns.  

How about someone decides, you know what?  They keep deflecting these single shot blasts.  So I have an idea.....

giphy-downsized-large.gif

46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Did you watch the show? 

Reveal hidden contents

The dropped communicator on Jabiim by the fake Jedi with Bail mentioning he was headed to Tattooine to protect Luke because he hadn't heard from Obi Wan.  "If Vader learns of the children....If I don't hear from you soon, I'll head to Tattooine.  Owen will need help with the boy" 

Reveal hidden contents

Because she found info in the archives showing a relationship between Bail and Obi Wan and figured if Leia was kidnapped, Bail would reach out to his Jedi buddy

Reveal hidden contents

I don't think she ever figured this out? 

Eh. When I turn my brain off to not be bothered by the sci fi stuff or plot holes, it also means I miss plot points. Such as, even though they made it obvious that she saw and watched the communicator/message from bail, I don’t think they actually replayed it and I had long forgotten the exact contents, and am not about to go back and fill that knowledge gap for a tv show. 

11 hours ago, The Dog said:

I think some of you just don't like Star Wars as much as you want to think you do. 

I enjoy SW.  I do not require pure canon for something in 2022 to match up perfectly with something from 1977.  Just like I don't expect 2022 Star Trek to match up perfectly with 1966 Star Trek, because having a bunch of men on the bridge doubting female bridge staff competence wouldn't fly.  

The writing can adapt to the times.  But I also enjoy when the content creators are willing to go outside fan service of just pure nostalgia (ST: Discovery; SW: Mando and Andor) and give us something new.  Obi Wan just felt like they wanted to throw a bone to the fans for a beloved character.  Which is fine.  I enjoyed watching it.   I also watched Picard, which was the same thing. 

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Man, Obi-Wan was orders of magnitude better than Picard. 

Well yeah, but in the sense of "content creator throws an unnecessary series out to fans for a beloved character."  Obi Wan had a better script and acting, but it was the same idea, just executed far far far better. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well yeah, but in the sense of "content creator throws an unnecessary series out to fans for a beloved character."  Obi Wan had a better script and acting, but it was the same idea, just executed far far far better. 

Yeah I get it. That just reminded me of how terrible Picard was. Please, continue everyone. 

I enjoyed the show but I maintain my stance of not enjoying prequels where you already know what's going to happen to the main characters. You knew Luke wasn't going to be killed by Reva. You knew Leia wasn't going to die. I guess I'm just a little bit of a wet blanket when it comes to prequels. It works in a series like Rebels because you don't know the fate of those characters and if it has a link to the OT, it's a small one or a character makes a brief appearance. I'm looking forward to Andor because it least it will be more off the beaten path. All that said, I enjoyed the Vader/Obi Wan fight and it did provide more context to the OT and how Obi Wan viewed Vader as being unredeemable thus making Luke even more noble in his quest to save his father. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

The only real WTF moment for me was Obi-Wan, again, leaving Vader alive. He even calls him Darth, acknowledging Anakin is really dead. Then walks away. And goes back to his life in hiding. I guess we're not even trying anymore to get rid of the sith?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

her initial plan appears to be kill anakin. But she needed to be grand inquisitor in order to do it?  And when she tried and failed, plan b is to kill a kid, which is what got her all messed up to begin with?

Overall she didn't give a shit about Leia?  I thought she was after Obi?  Or pretended to be.

Reva, while terribly written and acted is there to be the anti-Anakin/Vadar. She’s blinded by hate born out of fear “fear leads to hate, hate leads to suffering yada yada yada” In the end unlike Anakin who gave into it all and only gives into it further in this series. Reva turns back. Again proving that no matter how deep down the dark path you are….no one’s ever REALLY gone.

15 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Overall she didn't give a shit about Leia?  I thought she was after Obi?  Or pretended to be.

Leia was just her way to lure Obi Wan out because of his relationship with Bail.

• Hook 'Em 1