Obi-Wan Series on Disney+ Staring Ewan McGregor

Viper

4 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Nobody ever complains about parking a Death Star in orbit Jack's with the tides and screws up the fishing either. Or how it's called a Death Star, but has more in common with a moon than a star.

spacer.png

Like this seriously bothers you?
He’s a father worried about his daughter so he breaks silence to check in and let his friend know what his plans are to make sure the other potential galaxy savior is safe.  And he was just saying “he” and “her”, etc.
It’s not like he said, “I’ll go back to Tatooine and check in on Luke Skywalker, son of Anakin Skywalker, a/k/a Darth Vader.”
Was it a plot device? Sure. Am I so predisposed to nitpick this shit to death that I need to channel my inner Comic Book Guy and let it (and stuff like this) negate my enjoyment of the show when I’ve let stuff like this go a million times before? Nope.

Yeah man I just don’t know if I can go on.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

you guys never fail to disappoint.  i said it in the ted lasso thread - the closest thing to "love" is not "really like a lot", it's "hate".  people who are passioned enough to love something will always be the quickest to turn on something if it falls short of where they think it should be.  all of that is fine, star wars is an iconic and integral part of most of our childhoods and now our (your) kids' childhoods.  do what you feel.

my only complaint - this should've been a movie.  it had a classic 3-act structure and about 135 minutes of story worth telling:

-obi wan is a washed up jedi and living as a hermit

-leia gets kidnapped (as a device to bring out obi wan)

-obi wan goes to find her, must get back into jedi shape to do so

-vader gets what he wants - obi wan back in play

-reva twist, she wanted vader the whole time and used his tunnel vision to get him out in the open

-her plan fails, she dies

-obi wan and vader have one big, great saber duel, obi wan wins/walks away, vader is injured

-leia returns home safe

-obi wan says hello there

that's a tight 2:15 and everybody is happy.  there was no important filler in the tv show we couldn't do without.  even the small parts like dinesh could still be the same.  the escape/rebels/path could still exist.  she didn't need to get kidnapped twice, obi wan didn't need to go find her twice, and there didn't need to be multiple encounters between vader and obi wan (cough the fire scene cough).  a 6-part mini shouldn't be repetitive, but this one sure pulled it off.

it was fine.  it would've been better as a movie.

separately, my birthday is thursday and to celebrate, about 15 of us are going to a rooftop showing of "a new hope" in west hollywood so the timing is quite nice.  may even watch rogue one on wednesday to get me in the mood.  so yeah, i'm in my 40's and i'm having a star wars themed birthday party.  may the force be with you, always.

https://melroserooftoptheatre.com/movie-schedule

You’re like that cool kid who always had awesome birthday party’s except it has carried over to your adulthood. Lucky bastard, have fun! 

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Movie would be great, so long as the part about kenobi getting his Jedi powers back in shape was a 90 second musical montage of him lifting progressively more massive things, doing force parkour, and shadow light saber fighting. 

also he never used jedi mind trick once.  like wtf?

Movie would be great, so long as the part about kenobi getting his Jedi powers back in shape was a 90 second musical montage of him lifting progressively more massive things, doing force parkour, and shadow light saber fighting. 

With Eye of the Rancor as the soundtrack.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

plenty of things that were a bit inconsistent, but on the whole, i think we got a pretty nice little series. 

obi wan has a terrible memory. doesn't recall ever owning a droid, doesn't let on he knows leia (nor does she, after he dies during her escape, etc); shit, threepio and r2 were with him the whole goddamn time. completely unnecessary, but not worth talking about here.

here, i thought they did about as well as they could without wiping leia's mind. 

not sure reva was necessary but i see why they needed a young face to represent the younglings and to try and get her (selfish, sort of) revenge. 

this was peak darth vader. i loved the bit at the end of rogue one (whatever, fuck all you cynical assholes) and i loved darth's badassery in obi wan. i don't think anyone could beat peak vader, not even peak luke. they did such a great job with him and some of the parallels. the hoth callback, obi wan and the fire, and the lightsaber training which was a scene i told my wife that we needed in the prequels. felt nice for hayden christiansen to get a bit of redemption for that role. 

were there things they could've done better? yeah. but let's not forget that leia fully mouth kissed luke in empire. there were plenty of weird continuity issues in the ot as well.

these weren't deal breakers for me. i thought it could've been a bit tighter, but i kind of disagree with @henrygandorf (happy birthday!) about a movie for this content. but 6 episodes did feel long, and even then they were 0:45 etc, including recaps and credits. so maybe it could've been a longer movie. 

but i had a great time with it. vader doing vader things like breaking necks of randos...goddamn, perfect shit there. just dragging that one person because he could...damn. so great.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, ONE YARD said:

i hate how hyperspace is now instant. oh no. luke is hurt.  no worry ill travel across the galaxy and be there in five minutes.

oh and why the hell didn’t the star destroyer launch fighters? 

This is the exact kind of nitpicky shit that I don’t understand. Do you apply these same criticisms to the original trilogy? Because there were PLENTY of times that you could pick the OT part with shit like this.

For example - why did the Death Star only send out like 10 TIE Fighters to take on “30 Rebel ships?’ It was the FUCKING DEATH STAR… it had to have a complement of hundreds, if not thousands, of TIE Fighters. Why not send out and overwhelming force and wipe out all of those Rebels ships in like 10 seconds?

Why did they only send like 5 Imperial Walkers to the surface on Hoth? Why not 20? 

Why were 5 TIE Fighters chasing the Falcon in ESB instead of an entire squadron?

How about Luke’s plan to rescue Han in ROTJ? What if Jabba assigned R2 to the lower deck of the sail barge (or didn’t bring him at all) and he didn’t have access to the roof so he could get Luke his lightsaber? 

And on and on and on.

There were countless examples of shit like this in the OT and every other fantasy/sci-fi movie but it’s seemingly only every Star Wars series that are picked apart by the Comic Book Guy collective as evidence of how awful it all is.

Edited by oSuJeff97

32 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

plenty of things that were a bit inconsistent, but on the whole, i think we got a pretty nice little series. 

obi wan has a terrible memory. doesn't recall ever owning a droid, doesn't let on he knows leia (nor does she, after he dies during her escape, etc); shit, threepio and r2 were with him the whole goddamn time. completely unnecessary, but not worth talking about here.

Leia on screen straight up did not GAF that Obi Wan died or her home planet blew up with her parents on it 

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the series and thought the final duel was awesome, but I don’t really get the point of the series from a storytelling perspective. By the end, we’re essentially where we were at the end of ROTS. Kenobi beat Vader’s ass but couldn’t mercy kill him, then he left to watch over Luke on Tattooine. It was enjoyable but pointless in the grand scheme. I didn’t mind the Reva character but the storyline in episode 6 was pointless. Should’ve killed her off in episode 5. Broken mask Vader was really well-done.

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Leia on screen straight up did not GAF that Obi Wan died or her home planet blew up with her parents on it 

One of the best is when Luke sees his parents burnt to a crisp and that’s it. Off to Mos Eisley. 

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

This is the exact kind of nitpicky shit that I don’t understand. Do you apply these same criticisms to the original trilogy? Because there were PLENTY of times that you could pick the OT part with shit like this.

For example - why did the Death Star only send out like 10 TIE Fighters to take on “30 Rebel ships?’ It was the FUCKING DEATH STAR… it had to have a complement of hundreds, if not thousands, of TIE Fighters. Why not send out and overwhelming force and wipe out all of those Rebels ships in like 10 seconds?

Why did they only send like 5 Imperial Walkers to the surface on Hoth? Why not 20? 

Why were 5 TIE Fighters chasing the Falcon in ESB instead of an entire squadron?

How about Luke’s plan to rescue Han in ROTJ? What if Jabba assigned R2 to the lower deck of the sail barge (or didn’t bring him at all) and he didn’t have access to the roof so he could get Luke his lightsaber? 

And on and on and on.

There were countless examples of shit like this in the OT and every other fantasy/sci-fi movie but it’s seemingly only every Star Wars series that are picked apart by the Comic Book Guy collective as evidence of how awful it all is.

How did Lando infiltrate Jabbas clan when Bobba met him back at Sky City? 

Why doesn’t Luke use the force to defeat the Rancor?

The list goes on and on. 

They watched the OT when they were children. It became more than a movie to them. Anything now seems stupid and trite compared to the thing that made them feel special when they were young. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/22/2022 at 1:28 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

Was also happy for Hayden Christiansen that he got to be a part of some really cool Star Wars stuff.

The guy is not a terrible actor (see “Shattered Glass”), but he was just saddled with possibly the worst of George Lucas’ terrible prequel dialog, which is saying something.

That stuff aside, he was always EXCELLENT with the physical stuff, including all of the lightsaber action… so it was pretty cool bringing his specific physicality to the Vader role in this series.

I agree with this. 

I also thought that Lucas's dialog and directing did a pretty good job at making McGregor, Portman, Christopher Lee, Sam Jackson and Christiansen all look like pretty shitty actors.  That's quite the feat.  That said, Christiansen stood out... 

On 6/13/2022 at 6:59 PM, Samson's Wig said:

Reva character is terrible.  Poorly written, poorly directed, and poorly acted.  Maybe the actress is doing her best with what she's got, but the character is little more than Snidely Whiplash and it's fucking terrible.

While Reva's character is poorly written, you can't blame all of that on Moses Ingram. She's doing the best she can with a shitty script. 

• Like 1

Finished it today. Was overall meh. Like the second to last episode better than the finale. Obi wouldn't be high on my Star Wars repeat watch. Just because you don't like every Star Wars take doesn't mean you hate all Star Wars. Different people like different things. 

Can't wait for some interweb guy to cut it up Obi series into a slick 1.5 to 2 hour movie and remove the cheese, fucked up continuity and stupid shit. 

I have high hopes for Andor, the Acolyte, 3rd season of Mandalorian and Ahsoka, but I won't be surprised if some shit the bed. It's Disney after all 

22 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

my only complaint - this should've been a movie.  it had a classic 3-act structure and about 135 minutes of story worth telling:

This was originally going to be a movie. Don't know how much changed story-wise since then. I think Vader replaced Darth Maul at one point. 

2 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

I agree with this. 

I also thought that Lucas's dialog and directing did a pretty good job at making McGregor, Portman, Christopher Lee, Sam Jackson and Christiansen all look like pretty shitty actors.  That's quite the feat.  That said, Christiansen stood out... 

Yeah I posted it way up-thread, but Ewan McGregor recently said that literally 100% of the dialog in AOTC had to be done in ADR after the fact because of some unforeseen problem with the 1st gen digital cameras they used in that movie.

That would certainly be a huge factor in why the acting seems especially bad in AOTC. Asking actors to come back days or months later to re-record dialog from the day they were originally performing (even if it was just in front of a green screen) is a recipe for terrible performances.

• Hook 'Em 2

That was awesome! It’s always had bad dialogue and ridiculous plots. I mean they were essentially winging the relationships throughout the original trilogy. It’s pretty true, imo, to the sci fi genre of the 60s and 70s. Super cheesy and no need to explain every detail of space travel and why the bad guys are so powerful despite being terrible at everything. The cinematic world they’ve created is flexible enough to stick with this cheesy format while allowing for better storytelling like Rogue One and Mando.

I remember hating the originals when I first saw them because of how stupid it felt but came to appreciate them later when I rewatched before the prequels. I then sort of “got it” that this is how the storytelling will be and enjoyed it for that reason. Maybe that is why I’m not so fanboi obsessed with the plot holes and what not. I always saw it as intentional based on how the series started. Either way, seeing Obi Wan kick Vaders ass was just great, loved every minute of it, that alone made this entire series worthwhile.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/25/2022 at 9:06 AM, Longboard Horn said:

While Reva's character is poorly written, you can't blame all of that on Moses Ingram. She's doing the best she can with a shitty script. 

Completely agree.  I think I noted that she's been great in other projects.  The casting was fine, but the writing, directing, and production quality are that of a low rent adventure series appearing on late night in the 90s.

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

Completely agree.  I think I noted that she's been great in other projects.  The casting was fine, but the writing, directing, and production quality are that of a low rent adventure series appearing on late night in the 90s.

This.  Which is why the attacks against Moses are irritating - people need to learn to separate the actor from the material.  She was given shit and tried to make something out of it.  Not the other way around - they didn't hand her Kobe beef and then she made a hamburger with it. 

Also I rewatched the prequels this weekend.  They aren't that bad. 

• Like 2

Jesus,

This isn't Book of Boba Fett screw up.  But the need to jump in and shit on the show seems a bit odd.   I enjoyed it overall.  Glad it was made.  and Christopher Lee was good in the prequals. 

Edited by Nivek

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

20 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Agreed. AOTC isn't great, but TPM is fine, and ROTS is probably my second favorite of the films.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Hate said:

giphy.gif

Look, I didn't call them cinematic masterpieces or even "good."  They aren't that bad.  "Fine" is a perfectly acceptable way I would describe them.

Also I had never seen the D+ versions of them, with the deleted scenes and stuff added in.  Next weekend, I will move on to the OT. 

Have a friend who likes Star Wars but isn’t really into it like the most of us here. His deal is more Lord of the Rings type stuff, so I like to think he can give an honest review. He basically gave Obi-Wan a 7 with the Vader & Obi-Wan scenes taking in a bulk of the rating. On the whole it’s better than Boba and not quite the level of Mando. I think that’s a fair assessment of the show. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

This.  Which is why the attacks against Moses are irritating - people need to learn to separate the actor from the material.  She was given shit and tried to make something out of it.  Not the other way around - they didn't hand her Kobe beef and then she made a hamburger with it. 

Yep.  I also did a re-watch of the prequels since last Wednesday.  Aside from Jar-Jar and and some of the terrible dialogue in AotC, they're actually fairly solid shows, especially RotS.  

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 6:22 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

I think it was revenge…she was going to murder Anakin’s kid. 

It’s not quite the same as the Raiders of the Lost Ark bit where the story was pointless (because if Indiana Jones had not been in the movie, everything would have worked out the exact same), but this entire series entirely hinges on Reva kidnapping Leia as part of a greater plan to kill Vader. She ends up pointlessly trying to stab him in the back, which she could have done at any time during the past several years. What was the point of it all? And when in the fifth episode when Obi Wan offered to team up and give her the best opportunity for success, she rejected it just to do what she could have all along. 

Spoiler

She needed him to be distracted by something as profound as his rage at Kenobi. Even if she did not know he was Anakin, she knew that all he wanted was to find Kenobi. So she figures if she can get Kenobi to him, he will be so focused on him that she can act. When he is not hyper-focused on something else, he is unbelievably powerful. She did not stand a chance (as their "duel" showed).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.  I also did a re-watch of the prequels since last Wednesday.  Aside from Jar-Jar and and some of the terrible dialogue in AotC, they're actually fairly solid shows, especially RotS.  

I noticed AotC really wanted to be the "funny" one 

Yoda roasts Obi Wan in front of the younglings ("Lost a planet, Master Obi-Wan has.  How embarrassing") 
Anakin driving the speeder like a crazy person
"Obi Wan is going to kill me?" (Spoiler: he had 2 opportunities and he did not)
Obi Wan: "Good job."
Padme roasting Anakin. "Oh Anakin is not a Jedi master yet.  He's a Padawan"  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally caught up on this.  It just kind of fizzled out for me. I turned off the last episode with about 15 minutes left. I completely missed the final fight between Obi Wan and Vader. I was sitting there but don't remember it at all, so I guess I zoned out. Only thing I remember is Vader's masked being broken. No idea how it happened or what came before it.  I turned it off about a minute after that.

I think I'm kinda done with Stars Wars. It's great some people can forgive the lazy writing but with so much great original TV available out there, it's not worth wasting my limited time on something that obviously doesn't give a shit.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

Have a friend who likes Star Wars but isn’t really into it like the most of us here. His deal is more Lord of the Rings type stuff, so I like to think he can give an honest review. He basically gave Obi-Wan a 7 with the Vader & Obi-Wan scenes taking in a bulk of the rating. On the whole it’s better than Boba and not quite the level of Mando. I think that’s a fair assessment of the show. 

clerks-clerks-ii.gif

Edited by Hate
  • Haha 1

It was meh. It's fodder for people dying for SW content. Was I entertained? Yea. But with the dearth of good film and content from Covid, I'll watch basically anything. I just can't get over how fucking lazy the writing and directing was. Some of the shit was Superman Leia in space levels bad. Those of you defending this shit haven't watched SW from CW and Rebels. You would then know what well crafted SW writing and directing is and how this show miserably fails in comparison. But YAY, new Star Wars content!!!!!

Darth has been hunting and killing Jedi and force children for 10 fucking years. He killed all the younglings. Obi got confirmation that Anakin is dead; there's no reason to not kill Darth. He could stop the Jedi hunting with one swing of his light saber. But he lets Darth live to continue wreaking terror on surviving Jedi, force sensitive kids, and the galaxy. Why even write that shit in the story line? He fucked up the first time but letting Anakin live. He fucks up AGAIN by now letting Darth live. He's not Obi-Wan, he's Obi-Fail. Fuck me that's just fucking lazy writing.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 6/27/2022 at 2:49 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

I know it's unpopular, but it's true. Rouge One is my favorite, and if the last four episodes of Clone Wars was a film, it would be in the top spot. 

Rewatched R1 last night. Forgot just how insanely good the last 45 min are.