Obi-Wan Series on Disney+ Staring Ewan McGregor

Viper

5 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Evidently the original script had Maul as the main villain of the show with no Vader.

Considering the Rebels storyline that would make no sense. This is a welcomed change, IMO. Vader + Inquisitors is a better combo.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 3/13/2022 at 5:35 PM, Js1 said:

Yeah her character was awful and pointless. It wasn’t “woke casting” it was shit writing 

It was woke casting ("Uhhhhh . . . my checklist is still missing fat and Asian") but it didn't work primarily because of the shockingly bad writing.  She is also a mediocre actress.  Not in the same universe as the guy who played Finn, but still shit.  No one with a brain complained about the diversity in Rogue One (female lead, Latino co-lead, Asian, Black, Arab actors in the other key roles) because the writing was quality, the acting was great and most fans comprehend that the universal environment of Star Wars should be diverse.  The sequel trilogy put its diverse and overmatched cast in a position to fail and they did so, miserably in most cases.  

If the writing and acting is good in Kenobi, it will be treated like Rogue One.  If if sucks, it will be treated like the sequels.

28 minutes ago, alincoln said:

It was woke casting ("Uhhhhh . . . my checklist is still missing fat and Asian") but it didn't work primarily because of the shockingly bad writing.  She is also a mediocre actress.  Not in the same universe as the guy who played Finn, but still shit.  No one with a brain complained about the diversity in Rogue One (female lead, Latino co-lead, Asian, Black, Arab actors in the other key roles) because the writing was quality, the acting was great and most fans comprehend that the universal environment of Star Wars should be diverse.  The sequel trilogy put its diverse and overmatched cast in a position to fail and they did so, miserably in most cases.  

If the writing and acting is good in Kenobi, it will be treated like Rogue One.  If if sucks, it will be treated like the sequels.

So it sounds like you're saying woke casting isn't a factor at all, it's writing and acting. So why are we even talking about it again?

• Hook 'Em 2

I think they were solid actors actually but the material did them no favors. Daisy’s did what she could with Rey, but the problem was her being basically unstoppable, overpowered, and never having to take time to learn or train, while the studio killed off and clowned the characters we liked the most.

The woke stuff seems to originate from the “force is female” stuff, and several other unrelated reboots where they just recast and failed (ghostbusters). Or the criticism of the fans for not liking movies and blaming it on the fans (not necessarily this movie).

I recall there was some surprise when we first saw the trailer and learned saw a black dude was playing a storm trooper. The criticism wasn’t about the actor Jon, but rather that there was an inconsistency because the last info we had was about the storm troopers being clones. This wasn’t a big deal really and Filoni handled it just fine.

Some of the “woke” criticisms which carry into the second movie include Holdo, another excellent actress who was cast as a smug entitled moron with zero leadership skills.

Don’t get me started on the lightsaber proof leather jacket.

Ultimately I think we all agree that if the sequels had been better written, and if all three had been written at the same time as a sequel trilogy so we got full-blown coherence throughout them, nobody would be complaining about the cast.

You can forgive the original trilogy for being written the way it was - there was a damned good chance that the original movie wouldn't have gotten sequels, and therefore had to be wrapped up and storylines cut out.  Then it blows up the box office, George gets a green light for more movies, George has to retcon Leia and Luke being from Oklahoma brother and sister and Vader being his dad, etc., and the ROTJ is just rehashing ANH complete with Death Start being blown up.  And then fucking JJ Abrams just remakes ANH.

Ironically, the prequels maybe the most coherently plotted movies of three trilogies, and they weren't remaking one another.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Obi-Wan still has a lot of aging to do in the next ~8 years or so. Old Ben walked around like he was 80. 

You ever meet someone who lived in a desert climate for like 20 years? I've seen 40 year-olds whose face looks like an old catcher's mitt. :D

(But yeah obviously Ewan is gonna look way better than Alec Guiness at the same age... just go with it...)

Edited by oSuJeff97

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So Disney stupidly shifted new episodes to Wednesday a while back just to switch them back to Fridays? 

I'd imagine it has something to do possibly do with Star Wars Celebration being that weekend in Anaheim. Moon Knight still premiered on a Wednesday. New episodes might restart on Wednesdays on June 8th.  What's interesting is that's the same day as Stranger Things Season 4 dropping on Netflix so maybe they want to try some head to head action and see how strong their audience is. 

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'd imagine it has something to do possibly do with Star Wars Celebration being that weekend in Anaheim. Moon Knight still premiered on a Wednesday. New episodes might restart on Wednesdays on June 8th.  What's interesting is that's the same day as Stranger Things Season 4 dropping on Netflix so maybe they want to try some head to head action and see how strong their audience is. 

I was not aware until a few min ago that Celebration is that weekend, but isn't it Thursday to Sunday?  So unless they get a special premier party the day before everyone else (Thursday night), seems having it air the day before Celebration would generate a lot of buzz for that whole weekend. 

It's also a holiday weekend, so yay for Obi Wan + binging Stranger Things 4.1

Edited by Js1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, YChang said:

How did this not get released today?!

35 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Yeah, kind of a missed opportunity.

Always felt like Disney fucked up not premiering Moon Knight on March 23 so that Obi Wan could start on May 4 (Moon Knight would have finished last week).

And then they are going to double dip SW and Marvel with Ms. Marvel premiering on June 8.  They could have let Obi Wan run May 4 to June 8 and start Ms. Marvel on June 15.  I thought Disney was going to let one show run at a time to keep people subscribed continuously. 

It should have been:

Hawkeye November 24 to December 22
BOBF December 29 to February 9
(womp for mid-February to late March)
Moon Knight March 23 to April 27
Obi Wan May 4 to June 8
Ms. Marvel June 15 to July 20

• Hook 'Em 2

They don't release it on May the 4th because May the 4th is nothing but a merchandising event. The trailer and Book of Boba Fett gallery are the only live action content we'll get today. They also want the show to coincide with Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim on Memorial Day weekend for maximum nerd efficiency. 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Do people still subscribe to Disney+ on a monthly basis?

I do here.

I bundle with ESPN and Hulu. I get all of my Star Wars and Marvel shit, plus my boy can watch Encanto and what not on a non-stop loop.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm still on a pre-paid plan from before Disney+ launched... finally expires this Nov. Seems worth it  to just do an annual sub for me. 

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I waited until all the eps of Mando S1 dropped and then said Imma binge then cancel after a month.  Nope... I realized quickly that D+ had a metric ton of content that the nerd in me would never tire of, and enough content for my kid year round. Now on the annual subscription.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

What’s the price difference between monthly and annually? Asking for someone who has only ever borrowed Disney logins.

Annual saves you $16: Disney Plus costs $8 monthly vs $80 for an annual subscription. The “bundle” (D+, ESPN+, and Hulu) runs $14/mo but doesn’t have an annual option. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Annual saves you $16: Disney Plus costs $8 monthly vs $80 for an annual subscription. The “bundle” (D+, ESPN+, and Hulu) runs $14/mo but doesn’t have an annual option. 

I did the 3 years for $99 they briefly offered pre-launch. I’m surprised more people didn’t do this offer.

I think it automatically rolls over to annual subscription when it’s over.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Chewie looks like he's seen some shit.

Chewie's missing both arms, and the two Boba Fetts only have one hand between them.  Plus the big-size Han, Leia, and R2D2 are missing, and Luke's wearing Han's vest.

I'm not sure what went down, but it must have been pretty wild.

11 hours ago, utee94 said:

Chewie's missing both arms, and the two Boba Fetts only have one hand between them.  Plus the big-size Han, Leia, and R2D2 are missing, and Luke's wearing Han's vest.

I'm not sure what went down, but it must have been pretty wild.

Dude, what happens in Joba the Hutt's palace, stays in Joba the Hutt's palace.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s amazing how much better the production of this looks than Mando and BoBF.

It does look really good - they've had a few years to really work out the tech behind The Volume and some of the other tools they are using.

This is from a few years ago.

https://ascmag.com/articles/the-mandalorian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnxzVOs3rk

On 5/4/2022 at 8:12 AM, atomheartbevo said:

i do.  i don't have kids, but if i get rid of it, about a dozen people will have to do without.

when i click on my disney+ icon it looks like a pixar class photo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2