World Class Holdings offices raided

Robert Smith escapes prison

despite

Jim Lee, chief of criminal investigation for the IRS, made it clear that the alleged tax evasion by Smith and Brockman was a serious matter. “I have not seen this pattern of greed or concealment and cover-up in my 25-plus years as a special agent,” 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-02-03/how-billionaire-robert-smith-avoided-indictment-in-multimillion-dollar-tax-case

must be nice to be a billionaire with connection to D.C.

9 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Robert Smith escapes prison

despite

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-02-03/how-billionaire-robert-smith-avoided-indictment-in-multimillion-dollar-tax-case

must be nice to be a billionaire with connection to D.C.

Crazy that investors would continue to trust Smith to lead Vista after he hid income from the govt and dropped a dime on his main investor. Now his current investors are not above doing the same themselves but people usually get afraid of that behavior turning on them.

high returns have a funny way of making people forget about common sense.

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

short statement of fact on the robert smith thing

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1327911/download

disgusting that us ants file all our shit correct and this dude can just hide away hundreds of millions for 2 decades and suffer very little consequence

Vista and their investors should also hold Smith to account that he first told the company that this was just a personal tax issue and not a big deal. How can you listen to your CEO tell you about how to do your job when he's acted the way that he has.

Weren't the two main stipulations effectively a payout to the fed govt, and giving evidence against the other guy Brockman. Brockman is now claiming dementia and is looking to get out of his trial. Whether the dementia is true or not, he's still 80 and might be able to hold off the prosecution until he dies anyway.

Why would the inability to participate in your defense prevent the prosecution from moving forward with a trial?  You somehow get out of answering to society and justice because you claim (possibly true) to be unable to defend yourself? Let's face it, his lawyers are telling him what his defense will be and what he will say. 

• 3 months later...

Mob tries to thwart foreclosure sales of prime Austin land controlled by World Class; 'I was scared'

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2021/06/01/disruption-at-courthouse-during-world-class-sales.html?ana=e_aus_bn_breakingnews_breakingnews&j=90561743&t=Breaking News&mkt_tok=NjczLVVXWS0yMjkAAAF9aHVDiqTgOw7R6PAHE1Op3E3a1p8LU7ThhhMPS1_DLWedBSJuzHla7o3A2Po7_gn8aDY5Kn4yR0Tiav5SpYeyPmyRqTCIEuN27NET0AODQGXN6Cs

Spoiler
Mob tries to thwart foreclosure sales of prime Austin land controlled by World Class; 'I was scared'
Much of Nate Paul's real estate empire scooped up by developerBy Paul Thompson  –  Assistant Managing Editor, Austin Business Journal
Jun 1, 2021 Updated an hour ago
Dozens of rowdy protestors descended upon the Heman Marion Sweatt Travis County Courthouse on the morning of June 1 in an apparent effort to disrupt the day's slate of scheduled foreclosure sales.A combination of whistles, chants and shouting drowned out efforts by trustees to conduct nine foreclosure auctions on properties owned by Nate Paul's World Class Holdings, including for the real estate firm's downtown headquarters at 303 W. Ninth St. and its prized Northwest Austin campus once occupied by 3M. The scene at one point appeared on the brink of turning violent, as crowds began pushing and shoving around a trustee attempting to conduct a sale.
Jeffrey Contreras is an auction team member at Roddy's Foreclosure Listing Service, which tracks foreclosures for real estate firms. Contreras said he was shoved by one of the protestors as things got testy.
"I was scared," Contreras said. "Then security grabbed me and they put me behind them."
Dozens of law enforcement officers arrived, armed with pepper balls, to calm the crowd.
"You've got 10 minutes to leave, and then you're going to be arrested for a class B misdemeanor," shouted Capt. Xavier Montalvo with the Travis County Sheriff's Office.Once the crowd disbursed and the dust settled, all nine World Class properties appeared to be sold, primarily by credit bid to the lender — an entity controlled by Karlin Real Estate LLC called ATX Debt Fund 2. Karlin is a prominent real estate player in Austin. See some of its recent deals here.
World Class rose to local and national prominence in recent years as Paul employed a long-term buy and hold strategy. Many of the prime properties he has bought have sat vacant for years, and promises to build major projects on some of them failed to materialize. The business has been hobbled since federal authorities raided its offices in August 2019. World Class has filed more than 20 bankruptcies in federal court in Austin. An untold amount has been spent on lawsuits and other legal action — with World Class being mostly on the defense.

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...
13 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Because his partner in crime is in a position of authority.  Money Laundering charges are the least of their worries.  They lost Cartel money.  Those guys don't forget.  

Maybe we could get a twofer from those guys?

On 3/8/2023 at 3:43 AM, YGIFS said:

Because his partner in crime is in a position of authority.  Money Laundering charges are the least of their worries.  They lost Cartel money.  Those guys don't forget.  

Dammit Lobo.  You're responsible for the hours I will waste sleuthing down this rabbit hole in the coming weeks. 

• 2 months later...

no CR but looks like Nate's 'fixer' in all this is finally losing his political coverage.  

Preliminary prediction is Nate is gonna sing like a fucking jaybird and then get serious protection.  This whole thing wasn't supposed to unfold for another ~3 years.  During which time, Nate was gonna continue to sell off properties at an actual decent run at par.  Firesale + Political Trouble + Legal Shitshow + Angry Investors.  I wouldn't sell Nate Paul life insurance right now if I was State Farm.  

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

no CR but looks like Nate's 'fixer' in all this is finally losing his political coverage.  

Preliminary prediction is Nate is gonna sing like a fucking jaybird and then get serious protection.  This whole thing wasn't supposed to unfold for another ~3 years.  During which time, Nate was gonna continue to sell off properties at an actual decent run at par.  Firesale + Political Trouble + Legal Shitshow + Angry Investors.  I wouldn't sell Nate Paul life insurance right now if I was State Farm.  

This is a great story.  I look forward to seeing how it all plays out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'll be featuring it on Nicole's True Crime Podcast, when local real estate mogul walks a site he wants to buy on Rainey Street and mysteriously disappears into Town Lake one night with absolutely ZERO EVIDENCE OF FOUL PLAY, LOBO!  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Our Attorney General is being indicted because of Nate Paul, and the vote is happening this afternoon.

They are going in on dry on Nate Paul if you want to watch the livestream

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/30873-paxton-impeachment-vote-gameday-thread/#comment-5271248

Edited by atomheartbevo

I had an “interview” to be hired as a consultant to WCH when they bought the 3M campus.  After about 10 minutes at lunch, my partner and I switched to sports talk and finished the food while trying not to laugh.  It was clear they had no fucking idea what they were doing.  Really scary.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well I tried to tell you gals.  The new issue is who Nate and Ken sing about on their way outta town.  Federal Prison or Mexican Justice.  Not a fun spot to be in, let's see who can give up the most cash and prizes after skee-ball????  NoCR, but many of you are really not gonna like what happens next...

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Well I tried to tell you gals.  The new issue is who Nate and Ken sing about on their way outta town.  Federal Prison or Mexican Justice.  Not a fun spot to be in, let's see who can give up the most cash and prizes after skee-ball????  NoCR, but many of you are really not gonna like what happens next...

I gotta give you credit, you were talking about Paxton going down.

I gotta give myself a little credit for this:

On 10/16/2020 at 6:31 PM, atomheartbevo said:

What's working against the AG, is that even as he's going hard in the paint on attacking his staffers (and by proxy defending Nate Paul), all of these other folks (Abbott, Chip Roy, Cornyn, etc.) are vouching for his staff and some are even calling for him to step down.

This is a simulation of the AG's interview this week, attacking his staffers:

On 10/16/2020 at 6:31 PM, atomheartbevo said:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/4/2020 at 10:20 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Nate Paul/Prestige Worldwide is going to take down Ken Paxton?

spacer.png

Also this from 10/4/20.

One more vote to go but seems like a done deal.

I'm a bit perplexed that the woman Paxton had an affair with, whom Nate Paul hired as part of his bribery of the AG, has not been named because "she's not a public figure." She's no innocent player here so why are they shielding her?

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

Also this from 10/4/20.

Thanks.  I'm not sure if it's funnier now that it's started to happen, or if it was funnier to ponder back in October of 2020.

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

I'm a bit perplexed that the woman Paxton had an affair with, whom Nate Paul hired as part of his bribery of the AG, has not been named because "she's not a public figure." She's no innocent player here so why are they shielding her?

One of the mistresses was named on some of the smaller political blogs a while back (his wife's staffer I think), but I'm guessing maybe the feds have her name (Nate Paul's hiree) sealed or something.

• 2 weeks later...

JFC-it's fucking impossible some of y'all are this fucking stupid.  For years, we've known that Paxton provided legal cover for a money laundering/ponzi scheme by Nate Paul.  And now Nate is in prison.  Who the fuck you think Nate is gonna sell out to save his ass and get federal protection from being hung from a bridge in Matamoros?  How do you some of you people walk and chew gum?  Do you really not understand where this goes next?  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

JFC-it's fucking impossible some of y'all are this fucking stupid.  For years, we've known that Paxton provided legal cover for a money laundering/ponzi scheme by Nate Paul.  And now Nate is in prison.  Who the fuck you think Nate is gonna sell out to save his ass and get federal protection from being hung from a bridge in Matamoros?  How do you some of you people walk and chew gum?  Do you really not understand where this goes next?  

I do not disagree.  My only issue is whether the United States Government is powerful enough to protect Paul from the revenge of the Cartel.

• Like 1

Well you know as well as I do...he just did himself the biggest fucking favor of his life.  He voluntarily surrendered himself to federal officials but into a county jail facility.  He was looking for a quick way out.  He will be transferred to a federal facility within a few days.  The game plan being he is going to receive federal protection.  In exchange for giving up a lot of people and lot of money.  This timeline was always going to happen, just surprised it's happening this fast.  Nate will fade into obscurity a few years from now and I doubt any of us will remember him.  But he is going to have to drag some significant names with him right now in order to avoid a painful ending.  None of this is coincidence.  

Two things Nate, were I you:

-Keep your eyes and ears open between prison transfers

-Paxton's one and only hole card is that real estate deal you cut with Ted Cruz.  Watch your six, son.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m intrigued by other possible names. There’s people that either originated in his circle or thrived in his circle that I always thought were questionable.

It was pretty clear long ago that making $1 into $1000 overnight isn’t realistic. 

My theory that I told some friends was that it was always washing money. I said this years and years ago. 

In this group, there wasn’t always just commercial real estate. There were businesses that created income in the empire that were always kind of odd.

We’ll see how deep this goes if there’s real traction or maybe I’ll go back and watch Ozark on Netflix again. Who knows…

20 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Who the fuck you think Nate is gonna sell out to save his ass and get federal protection from being hung from a bridge in Matamoros?  Do you really not understand where this goes next?  

19 hours ago, YGIFS said:

He will be transferred to a federal facility within a few days.  The game plan being he is going to receive federal protection.  In exchange for giving up a lot of people and lot of money.

Who will he sell out?

What comes next?

When will he be transferred to federal pound me in the ass prison?

It looks like all they are staging now is financial fraud for acquiring loans.