XFL: The sequel

MillerEP

8 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Don’t European soccer clubs all have youth academies as a farm system?

I believe, at least in the 1st world countries, that those kids are required to attend schooling while getting paid / attending said football academy.

Maybe we need to start thinking of college football as kind of an independent American football academy system that requires an education component.

Reframe your mind / reframe your reality maaaaaannnnnnnn.

Yes and a lot of those academies are boarding schools so it works out fine. 

Now that NIL exists, college football is the official minor league.

This is the view of the SEC execs. To break away from the NCAA and be that tier between college ball and the NFL. I wouldn’t be surprised to see an expansion to 24 to 32 schools, cherry picking the other conferences, with more structured lucrative “NIL” programs that can deliver more money to farm players than a USFL/XFL could ever play.

Grew up in Memphis and my old man and I went to Grizzly games with Csonka Kiick and Warfield. (First game: drunk Charlie Rich doing Nat’l anthem) Later took my son to USFL games to see Reggie White. I loved spring football and it was a great filler until fall football. But they were poaching nfl stars.

• 1 month later...
Looks like XFL is partnering with the NFL. XFL is basically gonna be a guinea pig for the NFL to test out new rules and safety procedures.

Lots of talk about doing away with helmets to reduce head injuries. That will draw XFL interest.

I wish baseball would use double A ball for that. I think baseball would be better if the batter could carry their bat as a weapon, and defense could get a runner out by throwing the ball at the runner. Also think bases should be run either direction as long as you go to 2nd.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/5/2022 at 5:05 AM, Dnaguy said:

I believe, at least in the 1st world countries, that those kids are required to attend schooling while getting paid / attending said football academy.

Maybe we need to start thinking of college football as kind of an independent American football academy system that requires an education component.

If you consider "Poultry Science" and "Parks & Recreation" viable curriculum, most D1 schools already gotcha covered.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

https://www.xfl.com/xfl-latest-news/xfl-and-espn-announce-2023-schedule

XFL and ESPN Announce 2023 Schedule

Season kicks off on Saturday, February 18, 2023, at 3 pm ET on ABC with
the Vegas Vipers facing the Arlington Renegades at Choctaw Stadium

Opening weekend matchups include:
Feb. 18: Orlando Guardians vs. Houston Roughnecks at TDECU Stadium (8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN & FX);
Feb. 19: St. Louis Battlehawks vs. San Antonio Brahmas at The Alamodome (3 p.m. ET, ABC);
Feb. 19: Seattle Sea Dragons vs. D.C. Defenders at Audi Field (8 p.m. ET, ESPN)

Season tickets now available and single game tickets on sale starting January 12, 2023.
For more information, please visit: www.xfl.com/tickets.

Full schedule here: https://www.xfl.com/schedule

18 hours ago, Hermanator said:

They're using big stadiums? The Brahmas are playing in the Alamodome?

This shit is gonna fold faster than Quinn Ewers facing 3rd and 11

You're not from San Antonio are you? Those people love their football no matter what league it is. If you don't remember the AAF when SA had a team called the Commanders, they were averaging 50k-60k people per game at the Alamo Dome. 

22 hours ago, Hermanator said:

They're using big stadiums? The Brahmas are playing in the Alamodome?

This shit is gonna fold faster than Quinn Ewers facing 3rd and 11

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

You're not from San Antonio are you? Those people love their football no matter what league it is. If you don't remember the AAF when SA had a team called the Commanders, they were averaging 50k-60k people per game at the Alamo Dome. 

they were not at 50-60k but they led the AAF in attendance by like 8000

averaged 27,721. take out their weird week 8 game where there were AAF questions and they drew 27,800, 29,200 and 30,300.

The XFL isn't in any of the smaller areas/markets that had bad draws (Salt Lake averaged 9000, Arizona was at just under 10k, Atlanta was at like 11k, Mempis was at almost 3k

now do i think having three texas teams is a positive move? eh. probably not but Dallas and Houston had nice attendance numbers and SA is a sleeping giant on that front - for alternative leagues at least.

XFL 2.0 smartly dumped New York, LA, Tampa (3 lowest attendance teams), brought in Orlando and San Antonio (2 highest attendance AAF teams - Orlando was at 20k which would have been 3rd in XFL and San Antonio was at 27k which would have been 2nd highest)

worth noting that attendance numbers are a 2 or 3 home game sample size for XFL and AAF was 4 for everyone I think. either way, San Antonio is a great get for the XFL and the Alamodome is fine based on the AAF games.

all that said, the San Antonio Brahmas branding and logo is terrible, especially compared to the AAF

SanAntonioCommanders.png

vs

San_Antonio_Brahmas_logo.jpg

for what it's worth i think almost all the AAF logos were better than this XFL stuff

AAF:

image.png.5b9b374cb3893cd0b7062e7820e0e548.png

XFL:

xfl-logos.jpg

4 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Yeah they drew for that before the pandemic for just a few games when it was a novelty and Americans were in much better financial shape than today. Now this is the 3rd league to open in 4 years. It's major "meh" news. 

Good fucking luck doing it now. I don't think they can handle the travel and venue costs to go with the  salaries for long. 

8 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Yeah they drew for that before the pandemic for just a few games when it was a novelty and Americans were in much better financial shape than today. Now this is the 3rd league to open in 4 years. It's major "meh" news. 

Good fucking luck doing it now. I don't think they can handle the travel and venue costs to go with the  salaries for long. 

Financially they should be okay for at least 3 seasons. After that, good luck. Hopefully they can earn enough revenue from tv contracts to keep it going. It's nice to see the NFL having minor leagues. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

you literally can buy season tickets for the SA XFL team for $100, all in. $20 per ticket.

image.png.1794ccce8d86330acdc04800b617570d.png

if you think the interest in football in San Antonio has somehow gone down...you are wrong. UTSA drew 202,420 this year, an average of 28,917. if you want to drop off their two highest attendance games they still drew about 25k on average. football interest in San Antonio is still very high.

re: 3rd league to open in 4 years - keep in mind that COVID killed new XFL (well not really, they killed it almost exactly 30 days after suspension) and Tom Dutton royally fucked the AAF and is still in ongoing lawsuits over it. technically, this is just the continuance of the XFL vs a fully "new" league. also, the third one was the USFL, who finished season 1 and is moving forward with season 2. attendance was funky because they played all games in Birmingham.

• 1 month later...

St Louis has a bunch of ISU connections.  Hakeem Butler, Willie Harvey, and Mike Rose on the roster.  Tony Becht's the coach, and his kid is our backup QB.  Only Midwestern team.

I'm definitely going to catch some of their games/be a casual fan.  St Louis is one of my favorite towns too.

7 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Any of these teams have a bunch of horns on it?

Only horns in this league:

Jacoby Jones is on the Orlando Guardians 

Ben Davis is on the San Antonio Brahmas 

No horns on the Vegas Vipers, Seattle Sea Dragons, Arlington(Dallas) Renegades, Houston Roughnecks, St. Louis Battlehawks or DC Defenders.

9 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Bump

Same here. Will attend some Renegades games, but won't root for them because Bob Stoops. Fuck him.

Same. Find another coach please. I got a few tickets to each game through work, definitely not gonna use them all or go to each game. Shoot a message if you need any

Edited by Zepol87

On 1/5/2022 at 6:05 AM, Dnaguy said:

Tennis, too

https://www.imgacademy.com/

https://www.mouratoglou.com/en/

https://www.rafanadalacademy.com/en