Justin Tucker

idigTexas

Anytime this thread gets bumped when its offseason for Tucker, I click on it not knowing what to expect other than it will be awesome. I could read that Justin discovered the underwater city of Atlantis while snorkling on vacation and I'd think "yeah, that sounds about right". Cool dude. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 5 months later...
A kicker needs a long career to get in the hall of fame.  Justin should make it, but he needs a much longer career to be a sure thing

The fuck is wrong with people today, complaining about Malik Jefferson being overrated in one thread then others talking about the single greatest kicker in the history of the NFL in another.

6 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

And never ever forget his last kick in college. 

A game tying field goal against Baylor? Not that memorable after we went on to give up a billion points after that to RGIII and company.

You probably mean the next-to-last kick.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

On the road, 66 yards, bounced it off the crossbar, wins the game with no time on the clock.  Couldn't have been scripted any better.  The dude is a HOF lock.

Yeah. Dude is the definition of clutch

As for the field goal, if the completion and record-setting nature weren't already extraordinary, Tucker continued his streaks of being perfect in the final minute of regulation and 49 straight fourth-quarter field goal attempts.

That kick made him 16 for 16 on kicks in the final minute of games. Fucking assassin. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fire Jack Chevigny said:

I had to look it up, there are only 4 kickers in the HOF and only two of them were pure kickers.

Morten Andersen
Jan Stenerud

Lou Groza (K and OT)
George Blanda (K and QB)

I met Jan Stenerud when I was in high school.  For some reason, he was friends with my chemistry teacher and came to visit.  It was really odd to have the classic nerdy teacher introduce the best kicker in the history of football to our class.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/7/2022 at 3:02 PM, Jkwellborn said:

Didn’t he pioneer the soccer kick or something too?

On 8/7/2022 at 4:22 PM, jimmyjazz said:

wiki says he was an early adopter after Pete Gogolak started the trend.

I know it’s not the NFL, but every Longhorn needs to know the true story of Fred Bednarski. 

https://ampoleagle.com/bednarski-preceded-gogolak-in-soccerstyle-kicking-p8059-208.htm

• Hook 'Em 2

Bednarski is great to remember, but I’ll top him for the Longhorns’ kicker from the early 60s. Tony Crosby was from Kountze, Texas and UT’s place kicker from the 61-63 seasons.

What was unique about him was that he was a bare-footed kicker! Rare enough for that, but he still kicked the ball straight-on and not “soccer style.” Most of the kickers back then relying on a straight-toed shoe that helped get the kick off/away, Tony just curled his toes upward prior to the kick and hit the ball just below his set of toes!
That hurts just thinking about trying to kick a FB like that! He helped Texas win the NC in ‘63!

Hook’em!

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I know it’s not the NFL, but every Longhorn needs to know the true story of Fred Bednarski. 

https://ampoleagle.com/bednarski-preceded-gogolak-in-soccerstyle-kicking-p8059-208.htm

Great link!

My favorite quote from the article:

Despite the horrible conditions, they were grateful that the family stayed together --- and that they weren’t sent to a concentration camp.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...