Jim Harbaugh NO LONGER coaches at Michigan

Parliament

16 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Jim's done. That's it. There's no coming back from this. 

Is Indiana now a football school and Michigan a basketball school?

I just can't see Michigan canning him. Football comes 3rd behind academics and basketball there. They don't care what he does. The fans do, but the AD doesn't. He should have been gone a long, long time ago just based on getting his shit pushed in by tOSU yearly. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Indiana was due to get Michigan eventually. They've come close three or four times the last ten years. 

But Michigan is coming off a loss and got whooped.  They should've been motivated after a loss and it's not getting easier for them going forward.

8 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

But Michigan is coming off a loss and got whooped.  They should've been motivated after a loss and it's not getting easier for them going forward.

yeah I'm not excusing it or saying I predicted they'd lose today, just that I'm not shocked IU finally got them. They were probably lucky not to have already lost to them. That program has lost all direction at this point. Ohio State will probably put up 50 on them again. 

46 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

yeah I'm not excusing it or saying I predicted they'd lose today, just that I'm not shocked IU finally got them. They were probably lucky not to have already lost to them. That program has lost all direction at this point. Ohio State will probably put up 50 on them again. 

That's going to be a rough game.  Also, Jim'll probably have lost the team by then. How can Harbaugh's players go into that game believing they have a chance?  Most likely, it'll be a high scoring affair for tOSU and a bunch of penalties for UM as players want to fight in their individual matchups.  

4 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I just can't see Michigan canning him. Football comes 3rd behind academics and basketball there. They don't care what he does. The fans do, but the AD doesn't. He should have been gone a long, long time ago just based on getting his shit pushed in by tOSU yearly. 

The academics thing is a myth. Jim Harbaugh himself debunked that when he was coaching at Stanford.  Michigan traditionally has a whole lot of football players whose majors are "Undecided," "General Studies," and "Kinesiology." Kinesiology, a major so lame that credits accrued don't transfer within your own school if you change majors. 

Harbaugh has been given a long leash. He was definitely going to be given four years, probably five. Going 0-4 against Urban Meyer could be excused. Losing at home to first time head coach Ryan Day probably signaled that the end was just going to be a matter of time. Jim's record against his rivals, against ranked opponents, and in bowl games is dreadful. And now to lose to IU for the first time since 1987? He can't survive that. He's one of the highest paid coaches in the country. They could do just as well with another coach for half the price. Maybe better. 

I don't think even a win over the Buckeyes would save him at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The academics thing is a myth. Jim Harbaugh himself debunked that when he was coaching at Stanford.  Michigan traditionally has a whole lot of football players whose majors are "Undecided," "General Studies," and "Kinesiology." Kinesiology, a major so lame that credits accrued don't transfer within your own school if you change majors. 

Harbaugh has been given a long leash. He was definitely going to be given four years, probably five. Going 0-4 against Urban Meyer could be excused. Losing at home to first time head coach Ryan Day probably signaled that the end was just going to be a matter of time. Jim's record against his rivals, against ranked opponents, and in bowl games is dreadful. And now to lose to IU for the first time since 1987? He can't survive that. He's one of the highest paid coaches in the country. They could do just as well with another coach for half the price. Maybe better. 

I was saying academics for regular students, not the football team. They care about academics, and tgen basketball, and FB is an afterthought at this point. Dude fucking sucks and they don't care. They're content losing to Ohio State in football, and losing to MSU who got their shit pushed in by Iowa today. It's sad but also comical. 

13 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I was saying academics for regular students, not the football team. They care about academics, and tgen basketball, and FB is an afterthought at this point. Dude fucking sucks and they don't care. They're content losing to Ohio State in football, and losing to MSU who got their shit pushed in by Iowa today. It's sad but also comical. 

They're a football school. You don't know what you're talking about if you think they don't care. They're the winningest football team in the FBS. Harbaugh is done. Book it. 

Edit: I'm not saying I'm happy about it. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They're a football school. You don't know what you're talking about if you think they don't care. They're the winningest football team in the FBS. Harbaugh is done. Book it. 

They WERE a football school. What exactly have they done since 1998? Lloyd Carr was their last relevant coach. They've made no moves to rid themselves of Harbaugh, hired Rich Rod, and Brady Hoke. Harbaugh will be there next season. 

4 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

They WERE a football school. What exactly have they done since 1998? Lloyd Carr was their last relevant coach. They've made no moves to rid themselves of Harbaugh, hired Rich Rod, and Brady Hoke. Harbaugh will be there next season. 

They went balls to the wall to hire Harbaugh which, at the time, looked like a slam dunk hire. That's what they did. They would've been better off if RichRod hadn't choked against Pitt in 2007 and they'd hired Les Miles as originally planned. 

Don't confuse excuses fans make when their team isn't winning for how they really feel.

11 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

11 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Your both right. They have players that they “get in” bit bigger picture is that the President and AD are more worried about school then playing football. At Ohio state they don’t play school and the coach in the last 2 cases (tressel and Urb) both had more juice then the AD and the President. 

fire everyone and GO BLUE

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Your both right. They have players that they “get in” bit bigger picture is that the President and AD are more worried about school then playing football. At Ohio state they don’t play school and the coach in the last 2 cases (tressel and Urb) both had more juice then the AD and the President. 

fire everyone and GO BLUE

*You're

*but

*than

*than

I think any further reply would be a waste of time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

100+ is what O$U is going to hang on Michigan, no matter what the spread is take the bucks this year. Michigan could get +70 and still have no chance of covering. 

With the way Rutgers and Maryland have looked Michigan may not win a game the rest of the way. They may be able to get Illinois in the crossover for the toilet bowl in week 9 but Brandon Peters is better than anything UM has at QB. Odd how that worked out. 

The shittiest part is that Harbaugh the only coach without a contract past 2021 in the p5 is going to get the covid past this year and will likely come back as a lame duck in 2021. I can't imagine them extending him at this point, and they aren't going to fire him. 

This is an ugly situation for sure, and unfortunately as a Michigan fan it is going to get worse before it gets better. 

18 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The academics thing is a myth. Jim Harbaugh himself debunked that when he was coaching at Stanford.  Michigan traditionally has a whole lot of football players whose majors are "Undecided," "General Studies," and "Kinesiology." Kinesiology, a major so lame that credits accrued don't transfer within your own school if you change majors. .

I remember when he was at Stanford, Harbaugh slammed Michigan's academics (as related to degrees that Michigan football players seek). Something along the lines of "they don't have a general studies degree at Stanford", and "You want these kids to have a quality degree for life after football".

I assume he hasn't pushed for more stringent academics since he went back to Michigan.

Edited by redswingline

1 hour ago, redswingline said:

I remember when he was at Stanford, Harbaugh slammed Michigan's academics (as related to degrees that Michigan football players seek). Something along the lines of "they don't have a general studies degree at Stanford", and "You want these kids to have a quality degree for life after football".

I assume he hasn't pushed for more stringent academics since he went back to Michigan.

He was pushing for Michigan to do it when he originally made that statement. No idea if he pushed for it once it affected his players at Michigan.

On 11/7/2020 at 3:38 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

So they're a basketball school now? Pretty fucking sad since even with their recent "success" their basketball tradition is about as good as Oklahoma's. 

I guess they still have... what, women's rowing?

2 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Bucknuts said it up thread. In the history of Michigan football. Whenever they were worth a shit they had a roster full of Ohio kids. 

Heisman winners Charles Woodson and Desmond Howard being the prime examples. But there's a long list of great players Michigan has poached out of Ohio. Jim Tressel built a wall around the state and Urban pretty much kept that up with the best players. If there was a better player outside of Ohio, he'd go after them. For the life of me I can't figure out why Antoine Winfield Jr. didn't merit an offer. 

Mark Dantonio built his Spartans program on Ohio kids who OSU didn't recruit and developing them over 3-4 years while a lot of the Buckeye players were playing as freshman. Mark Stoops at Kentucky recruits heavily in Ohio. Luke Fickell knows Ohio high school football as well as anybody. But Harbaugh hasn't taken much talent out of the state. 

24 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Let's not pretend Ohio is a top tier state for HS football. It may be better than Michigan, but it isn't in the same tier as Texas, California, and Florida. I'd put it behind most of the SEC states too.

The top five states for high school football talent are Texas, Florida, California, Georgia and Ohio.   Louisiana is next but their overall population is much smaller.  The rest of the SEC states don’t produce nearly as much talent as those I’ve listed.  So let’s not pretend you have a clue about Ohio and producing football talent. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Let's not pretend Ohio is a top tier state for HS football. It may be better than Michigan, but it isn't in the same tier as Texas, California, and Florida. I'd put it behind most of the SEC states too.

No one is saying that it is. But if you don't know that Ohio and Pennsylvania are the most talent rich states in B1G country then you don't follow football all that closely. OSU and PSU could get by recruiting all in-state players. Michigan has always recruited nationally and it's just a historical fact that their most successful teams have had major contributions of Ohio player. 

Ohio produces some of the best coaching talent. 

5 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

The top five states for high school football talent are Texas, Florida, California, Georgia and Ohio.   Louisiana is next but their overall population is much smaller.  The rest of the SEC states don’t produce nearly as much talent as those I’ve listed.  So let’s not pretend you have a clue about Ohio and producing football talent. 

Just to be clear, I don't give a shit about Ohio. Why the fuck would I?

5 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Just to be clear, I don't give a shit about Ohio. Why the fuck would I?

A whole lot of Longhorns fans want to hire an Ohio coach who keeps a framed photo of Woody Hayes in his office. That could be one reason. 

But any discussion about Michigan football is invariably going to involve discussion about Ohio football in general and Ohio State football specifically. Kinda joined at the hip. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Heisman winners Charles Woodson and Desmond Howard being the prime examples. But there's a long list of great players Michigan has poached out of Ohio. Jim Tressel built a wall around the state and Urban pretty much kept that up with the best players. If there was a better player outside of Ohio, he'd go after them. For the life of me I can't figure out why Antoine Winfield Jr. didn't merit an offer. 

Mark Dantonio built his Spartans program on Ohio kids who OSU didn't recruit and developing them over 3-4 years while a lot of the Buckeye players were playing as freshman. Mark Stoops at Kentucky recruits heavily in Ohio. Luke Fickell knows Ohio high school football as well as anybody. But Harbaugh hasn't taken much talent out of the state. 

I've taken quite a few 5* outta Ohio on my Xbox. They were pretty good!

Edited by FunkSoulBrother

• immamac changed the title to Jim Harbaugh NO LONGER coaches at Michigan