Jim Harbaugh NO LONGER coaches at Michigan

Parliament

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owner of the Fins (Ross) is a big Michigan donor and want Harbaugh to stay in Ann Arbor. But if Harbaugh is going to take an NFL job, Ross will offer him the Miami job, or so it's said.
[mention=37]MNLonghornFUKM[/mention] Are you a Vikings fan? Is Harbaugh someone you'd want?

Yes and yes.

After todays events, I wonder who’s gonna want to touch that Miami opening?
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Yes and yes.

After todays events, I wonder who’s gonna want to touch that Miami opening?

Paradoxically, Ross may NEED Harbaugh there because no one else will take it. And of course Harbaugh is more oblivious to what other think and has had a long relationship with Ross.

Ross has been the sugar daddy for the entire university. I just googled him and UMich even has a webpage just for him!

oops...he's the named funder of their business school so that's why he has a webpage.

https://michiganross.umich.edu/alumni/stephen-m-ross

I didn't realize how much he'd showered upon them.

Edited by quigley

7 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Apparently Michigan is down to two replacements.

FML

Matt Rhule......... I guess only because he is better than the other guy.

FML FML FML 

Mike Hart.

This is Brady cHoke all over again 

According to who? No one knows shit. Certainly not mgoblog

8 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

According to who? No one knows shit. Certainly not mgoblog

Balas has been pretty spot on with everything recently. 

https://www.on3.com/teams/michigan-wolverines/news/jim-harbaugh-plans-to-sign-with-the-minnesota-vikings/

Sources have also confirmed that Carolina Panthers coach Matt Rhule is, indeed, on Michigan A.D. Warde Manuel’s wish list to replace Harbaugh should the Wolverines make an external hire. Rhule is coming off a pair of five-win seasons at Carolina, but he had great success at Temple, including a pair of 10-win seasons. He led Baylor to an 11-win season his third year, but finished the 2019 season with losses to Oklahoma and Georgia.

Rhule, however, never beat a ranked team during his time with the Bears.

If the Wolverines go with an internal hire, sources believe it’s Mike Hart — not Josh Gattis — who will get the look. The running backs coach was Associate Head coach at Indiana in addition to RBs coach. He joined Harbaugh’s staff after helping lead the Hoosiers to an outstanding season, including a win over U-M.

Edited by Juicy

“He told William he was definitely looking, and if an opportunity came up, he was probably going to take it,” Deon Johnson, the father of Will Johnson, the five-star jewel of the 2022 Michigan recruiting class, told the Detroit News on Tuesday.

“[Harbaugh] told him he felt the team was gonna be good, they’re gonna win a lot of ball games, they’re gonna do a lot of good things,” Johnson continued. “But he wants to chase a Super Bowl. That’s one of the things on his list is to be a Super Bowl-winning coach.”

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33203283/jim-harbaugh-tells-michigan-return-sources-say-minnesota-vikings-interview

Jim Harbaugh called Michigan to inform the school that, despite interviewing with the Minnesota Vikings on Wednesday, he will be returning to the school for the 2022 season, the football coach told the Detroit Free Press.

Harbaugh said he told athletic director Warde Manuel that this would not be a recurring issue and that he would be staying at Michigan as long as the school wants him.

"I called Warde and I asked him if he wanted me to be the head coach. And he said, 'Yes, 100 percent.' And I said, 'OK then. That's what I want to do,'" Harbaugh told the Free Press late Thursday night. "And I told him, 'Warde, this will not be a reoccurring theme every year. This was a one time thing.'"

He later added: "I told Warde, 'From here on out, I'm working at the pleasure of the University of Michigan, because that's, in my heart, where I want to be."

Michigan was "elated" to get Harbaugh's decision, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Los Angeles Rams offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell has emerged as the favorite to become the head coach in Minnesota, sources told Schefter and ESPN's Dan Graziano.

Harbaugh did not receive an offer from the Vikings before he left, a source told ESPN.

"There was a tugging at me that I was once that close to a Super Bowl and I didn't get it," Harbaugh told the Free Press. "Some NFL jobs came open. I was contacted by the Vikings.

"For better or for worse, it was something I wanted to explore. I went in thinking, 'I'm gonna have 100-percent conviction on this, and if [the Vikings] have 100-percent conviction on this, then it's something I'm gonna do."

giphy.gif

• Like 1

If I'm a Michigan fan, I'm pissed at Harbaugh for dragging his interview process out with the NFL.

May be a lot tougher replacing both their DC and OC.

Spoiler

Adam Rittenberg@ESPNRittenberg

Life moves quickly in the coaching world. Before Jim Harbaugh's Vikings interview Wednesday, I heard Josh Gattis had some internal support to replace Harbaugh as Michigan HC. Four days later, Gattis is Miami's offensive coordinator

Jim Harbaugh on Staying with Michigan amid Vikings Talks: My Love for UM 'Is Strong'

ADAM WELLSFEBRUARY 3, 2022

Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh on Thursday addressed his flirtation with the Minnesota Vikings and why he decided to stay at his alma mater.

Speaking to Alejandro Zuniga of the Michigan Insider, Harbaugh said his "love for Michigan is strong" when talking about what compelled him to remain in his current position.

"I'm not going to do any in-depth interview or anything like that. I want to get back, talk to my players, coaches in person," he added.

Talking to Mitch Albom of the Detroit Free Press, Harbaugh explained why he contemplated going back to the NFL:

"There was a tugging at me that I was once that close to a Super Bowl and I didn't get it. Some NFL jobs came open. I was contacted by the Vikings.

"For better or for worse, it was something I wanted to explore. I went in thinking, 'I'm gonna have 100 percent conviction on this, and if they [Minnesota] have 100 percent conviction on this, then it's something I'm gonna do."

Harbaugh had a phone conversation with Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel about his short- and long-term plans.

"I called Warde and I asked him if he wanted me to be the head coach," Harbaugh told Albom. "And he said, 'Yes, 100 percent.' And I said, 'OK then. That's what I want to do.' And I told him, 'Warde, this will not be a reoccurring theme every year. This was a one-time thing.'"

Harbaugh added:  "Sure, the Super Bowl is the greatest prize in our sport. But winning a national championship. That's pretty darn great. Let's do that.

"There was a pull to the NFL because I got that close to the Super Bowl, but this was the time [to try and return]. And this is the last time. Now let's go chase college football's greatest prize."

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Wednesday that Harbaugh called Michigan officials to let them know he would return to the school in 2022 despite interviewing with the Vikings for their vacant head coach position.

Per ESPN's Courtney Cronin, Harbaugh was on Minnesota's radar because of his prior relationship with new general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah.

Adofo-Mensah was hired as manager of football research and development by the San Francisco 49ers in 2013 when Harbaugh was their head coach.

Cronin noted Harbaugh "operated under the assumption that the job was his and prepared for the interview as such."

Per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapoport, the Vikings are expected to name Los Angeles Rams offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell as their next head coach.

Harbaugh signed a contract extension with Michigan in January 2021 that tied him to the school through the 2025 season.

The Wolverines hired Harbaugh in December 2014 after he agreed to a mutual parting of ways with the 49ers. The 58-year-old has a 61-24 record in seven seasons at Michigan.

Michigan won the Big Ten championship in 2021 for the first time in 17 years. The Wolverines were the No. 2 seed in the College Football Playoff but lost 34-11 to Georgia in the semifinals Dec. 31.

17 hours ago, C-Man said:

Deleted — what was this in reference to?

Gattis apparently wasn't allowed to recruit after he banged xavier worthy's mom which ultimately worked out for texas as it caused Xavier to transfer.

From over a year ago

https://twitter.com/mattymehhh/status/1382852864024965133?s=20&t=VYM8qpAAzqaQ_jD5ODW-8A

I would have done it too. 

https://twitter.com/NickyNicole_J/status/1356392537460625408?s=20&t=C3IkW0PDnxpGve1bMi84vg

Edited by Juicy
  • Hook 'Em 2

IMO Mcdonald is a much bigger loss than Gattis. Michigan still has Moore and Weiss to help on offense. Keeping the defense going is going to be tougher. 

Gattis also showed his ass on the way out with a pouting text to current players, he can fuck off and enjoy purgatory in Miami where coaches go to die. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Gattis apparently wasn't allowed to recruit after he banged xavier worthy's mom which ultimately worked out for texas as it caused Xavier to transfer.

From over a year ago

https://twitter.com/mattymehhh/status/1382852864024965133?s=20&t=VYM8qpAAzqaQ_jD5ODW-8A

I would have done it too. 

https://twitter.com/NickyNicole_J/status/1356392537460625408?s=20&t=C3IkW0PDnxpGve1bMi84vg

Solid contribution to the flavor of the offseason.

29 minutes ago, Juicy said:

IMO Mcdonald is a much bigger loss than Gattis. Michigan still has Moore and Weiss to help on offense. Keeping the defense going is going to be tougher. 

Gattis also showed his ass on the way out with a pouting text to current players, he can fuck off and enjoy purgatory in Miami where coaches go to die. 

Offense was gonna improve this year because of personnel alone, especially once they got the C from UVa. McCarthy could be a better Caleb Williams.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/7/2022 at 7:13 AM, Juicy said:

Yeah some believe Matt Weiss + Sherrone Moore will be just fine running the Michigan offense for 2022

McCarthy On Potential OC: 'Genius Might Be An Understatement' (Weiss)

CHRISTOPHER BREILER    21 HOURS AGO

If JJ McCarthy is right, the Michigan offense should be in very good hands in 2022.

With the Jim Harbaugh saga fully in the rearview mirror, the attention turns to replacing two significant losses to the Michigan Football coaching staff. In addition to losing defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald back to Baltimore, Harbaugh will also need to replace his offensive coordinator - and 2021 Broyles Award winner - Josh Gattis.

With Gattis out of the picture, the general consensus - for now - seems to suggest that current quarterbacks coach Matt Weiss might fill the void. Weiss has a long history of working closely with the Harbaugh's, including three years at Stanford as a graduate assistant for Jim and 12 seasons with the Baltimore Ravens as an assistant for John. With another opportunity to work with Weiss in 2021, Jim didn't hesitate.

"I am really excited about reconnecting with Coach," said Harbaugh. "We have a great relationship from our time together at Stanford and he brings a great deal of experience coaching all three phases of the game, in addition to his strength in the area of analytics and game strategy. He is a great teacher and will be an excellent role model for our student-athletes."

While you would certainly expect a head coach to speak glowingly about their new quarterbacks coach, it takes on a whole new meaning when you hear it from one of the players - particularly a player like JJ McCarthy. During an interview with the Wolverine Digest podcast heading into the 2021 season, McCarthy gave a glowing review of his experience in working with Weiss.

"Genius might be an understatement," said McCarthy. "This guy is one of the most intelligent people I've ever been around and what I love the most about him is who he is as a person. What his values are, how he is every single day in the building - so consistent with who he is and how he goes about his business. He's just always been an awesome, awesome help for me. Probably the best thing I've learned from him is just sitting in the film room with him and letting him talk. He's been at almost every position and his knowledge is untouched. It's really awesome to pick his brain and see how he perceives things on the football field." 

Earlier this week, Brandon Brown of Wolverine Digest provided a bit of insight into what might be happening behind the scenes in terms of replacing Gattis - and Weiss appears to be in the mix.

"According to someone connected to the program, Harbaugh is going to keep Sherrone Moore in his current role as the offensive line coach with co-offensive coordinator duties. The plan is to pair Moore with Matt Weiss, who coached quarterbacks last year. Weiss will be recognized as quarterbacks coach and co-offensive coordinator. Weiss has been billed as an extremely smart guy with a strong background in analytics and data-driven decision making. It's been reported that it was actually Weiss that helped Harbaugh prepare for his interview with the Minnesota Vikings."

If Harbaugh does ultimately decide to roll with Weiss and McCarthy's words still ring true today, the Michigan offense should be in good hands moving forward. 

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah some believe Matt Weiss + Sherrone Moore will be just fine running the Michigan offense for 2022

McCarthy On Potential OC: 'Genius Might Be An Understatement' (Weiss)

CHRISTOPHER BREILER    21 HOURS AGO

In all the chaos that was this offseason, I think Michigan did as well as they could. Weiss/Moore and Minter/Clink should give the team continuity to build off of what they did last year. 

The schedule is super easy so should go into Columbus with a shot at another playoff. 

• immamac changed the title to Jim Harbaugh NO LONGER coaches at Michigan