Rick Beato's YouTube channel is a must-subscribe

Rimbo

The little old lady that lives across the street from me is a trained, degreed and teaching pianist.  She’s banging away on her pie-anny all the time and is quite good.  She has pro violinists, flautists and other musicians over frequently.   It is pretty cool listening to them play away. 

More to the point, I introduced her to RB’s YouTube stuff by starting her on Rick’s Bach video and then his video on Oscar Peterson.    

She is enthralled and now a big fan at 81 years young.   She mentioned she watched 2.5 hours of content on Sunday and didn’t get a damn thing done around the house. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

The little old lady that lives across the street from me is a trained, degreed and teaching pianist.  She’s banging away on her pie-anny all the time and is quite good.  She has pro violinists, flautists and other musicians over frequently.   It is pretty cool listening to them play away. 

More to the point, I introduced her to RB’s YouTube stuff by starting her on Rick’s Bach video and then his video on Oscar Peterson.    

She is enthralled and now a big fan at 81 years young.   She mentioned she watched 2.5 hours of content on Sunday and didn’t get a damn thing done around the house. 

Music is the free gift that keeps on giving.
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's really hard to isolate tracks from a stereo mix.  You can sometimes use EQ and phase combinations to drop the vocal, simply because it's typically at a higher frequency than the kick drum, snare, and bass guitar, but it can still sound "wobbly".  Probably good enough for karaoke, but still . . . he's getting stems.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

His what makes this song great for rocket man and black are just sublime. If you don’t learn more about and appreciate a little more what it takes to write the best rock music from those two videos. Omg.  Toto’s Rosanna is really amazing too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/13/2022 at 7:31 PM, Rip76 said:

Why this is Rush’s greatest song.  (Posted today)

I don’t know if I can disagree.

I can't disagree.  I prefer the Exit Stage Left live version myself.  It may be one of the most incredible live performances I have ever seen.  Rush at the top of their game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

I can't disagree.  I prefer the Exit Stage Left live version myself.  It may be one of the most incredible live performances I have ever seen.  Rush at the top of their game.

The version on ESL is their best ever performance I believe.

On 3/18/2022 at 10:25 PM, bernorange said:

I hear the intro to Xanadu and I can't help but think I'm listening to scientists trying to communicate with the mothership at the end of Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind.

I’m a pop music super nerd, so of course my first thought is trying to hear how the ELO/Olivia Newton-John song sounds like Close Encounters..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 9:43 PM, Chad Fuck said:

I watched that and wished he would’ve had a little more commentary about what made them weird. Im a bit of a causal follower, but this was the first time I felt like he mailed it in a little.

agreed, seemed like more of an excuse to make some faces.

Not sure how much this particular board will appreciate this but as an enormous Tori fan, I appreciated that he did this even if not the most insightful and more just fanboy chatter. Given his enjoyment of the covers, I’m surprised he didn’t reference her Strange Little Girls album which is an extraordinary collection of covers. I 100% agree with his point about her use of dynamics. But at its core, she’s a brilliant pianist and composer and her voice is amazing. As someone who spends a lot of time searching for unique chord structures (see the share your music thread), I would give a lot to have a thousandth of her talent in finding those unusual, but stunningly gorgeous progressions and structures. the one in winter is so fucking good that I straight up stole it for something I was doing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

The recent one with Gregg Bissonette demonstrating the history of modern drum grooves is awesome, one of the best, as is the recent full interview with Bissonette about a month ago, which covers a lot of the same type of stuff. I would give anything to have the energy and enthusiasm that guy has. 

• Hook 'Em 2