Rick Beato's YouTube channel is a must-subscribe

Rimbo

14 hours ago, DougO said:

Derek Trucks interview today. 

I’ve never heard Derek Trucks talk, but damn that dude loves jazz. For those who didn’t watch, he pontificates on seminal jazz artists for a majority of the interview and it’s fucking fantastic. Rick is beaming the entire fucking interview. I’m pissed it only lasted an hour. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was a little late to the party as I was in a new school in the 9th grade in Richardson. I sort of fell in to the to cool school for cool crowd, but it also felt weird arriving from a nerd Lake Highlands perspective. 

I don't remember the order of ripping off Mercedes Benz ornaments, but it was probably

Ren & Stimpy

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Man In The Box

Alive

But Sound Garden's 'Badmotorfinger' is still the one that I will rock out.

Has Pat Finnerty - the anti-Beato - been brought up in the thread yet?  The dude is freaking funny and does a series called "what makes this song stink"  on his youtube channel.  He recently did an episode on Machine Gun Kelly's "Emo Girl."  If you want a fun internet ride, go watch that episode and the update and then follow the path it takes you down.  It's honestly some of the most fun I have had on the internet.

Cliff notes: He says that if MGK is bringing back Pop Punk, he wants in on the gravy train.  He creates a fake pop punk band named "August is Falling," records an EP of formulaic emo pop punk songs with his buddies, and starts a grass roots YouTube campaign to get the first single sucked into the YouTube algorithm vortex.  Five days later, it's on Apple Music's "New Music Today" playlist.   

Not sure if posted . . . I appreciated the way Rick countered the implication that Wolfie VH might have been "guitar synching" to EVH's recorded solo on "Hot For Teacher" last weekend at the Taylor Hawkins concert.

Rick gets it.  He understands that both DNA and time in the room with what might have been the greatest rock guitarist of all time pretty much imbued Wolfie with the tools to play like his dad.  It's not fake.  The Griffeys and the Alous and the Cruz clan and the Bonds (ahem) didn't get a free pass in baseball.

It's tiring to see people constantly try to diminish natural talent and hard work.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I wasn't aware of this controversy, but why would anyone just assume WVH was faking it?

Edit:  I should have watched before commenting.  I think it was more of a compliment than an insult.  Asking if WVH could have been finger synching is basically saying Wolfie played that as well as his dad ever did.  Not sure there could be higher praise than that.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not sure if posted . . . I appreciated the way Rick countered the implication that Wolfie VH might have been "guitar synching" to EVH's recorded solo on "Hot For Teacher" last weekend at the Taylor Hawkins concert.

Rick gets it.  He understands that both DNA and time in the room with what might have been the greatest rock guitarist of all time pretty much imbued Wolfie with the tools to play like his dad.  It's not fake.  The Griffeys and the Alous and the Cruz clan and the Bonds (ahem) didn't get a free pass in baseball.

It's tiring to see people constantly try to diminish natural talent and hard work.

Great clip

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 8:06 AM, Dennis Taylor said:

Haven't watched it yet but I'm assuming it's awesome 

On 9/1/2022 at 8:43 AM, Buzzrock said:

It’s pretty good. I love Tool but MJK isn’t the most electric interview. 

Electric? No. Fascinating? Hells yeah. MJK is a really interesting guy, and you can tell that even though Beato's getting him to open up, he still tests Beato. Which Rick passes with flying colors.

It definitely wasn't the MJK Comedy Hour but it was interesting to me to see inside his mind.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:02 AM, CooterBrown said:

The bit with Kim Thayil at the end hopefully means there's a long form interview coming with him.  

Good call...

On 8/25/2022 at 10:33 AM, Gourmand said:

About 2/3 of the way through this one now. This one's a bit more entertaining, a little less enlightening than the MJK interview. Mostly entertaining because of Krist dropping dry one-liners every two minutes. Less interesting because it's a lot of reminiscing about "Oh yeah, Chris and Hiro lived in this shitty apartment. I'd go over with an onion in my belt, which was the fashion at the time..."

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 7:44 PM, Rip76 said:

Regarding YouTube channels.

I would have to think, if we’re talking music only - and the love and interest in it, Beato’s channel would have to be the most important.

His channel is just so meaningful to me.

Agreed 100%.   And damn did it get dusty when he was talking about his friend that passed away.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...