Rick Beato's YouTube channel is a must-subscribe

Rimbo

On 1/27/2023 at 1:08 AM, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

I don’t think I’ve ever met a Rush fan that didn’t really, really, holy fucking shit really love the shit outta that band. 

I'd call myself a Rush fan, but I think of them as having a small group of outstanding songs (Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions and a few other) and then just of mix of good to blah.  But Tom Sawyer alone gets them a pass from me... so damned good.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, locodos said:

I'd call myself a Rush fan, but I think of them as having a small group of outstanding songs (Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions and a few other) and then just of mix of good to blah.  But Tom Sawyer alone gets them a pass from me... so damned good.

I can't listen to all of each of their whole albums, but such a great body of work.  Agree with those songs.  To me, my favorite is Limelight.  It really captures who Neil Peart was.  Uncomfortable with the whole rock star lifestyle, just a guy playing music and perfecting his craft until he couldn't any more.  RIP Neil and RIP Rush.

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...

rick has been a bit of a beating of late with some low quality stuff just pimping his shit non-stop...the sultans of swing video made me want to punch something.  but this interview with vig was a harry and lloyd on their way to nebraska totally redeem yourself moment for me.  great video and a down in the weeds interview.  as someone still making his way up the learning curve on recording/engineering, i really enjoyed the geeking out in the first third about studio building.  the deep dive on the process for nevermind was really, really enjoyable for me.  i suspect that @Paul Wesley, @Goredho, @jimmyjazz, and @Chips O'Toole would enjoy it as well (though a lot may be older news to them).

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sidis said:

rick has been a bit of a beating of late with some low quality stuff just pimping his shit non-stop...the sultans of swing video made me want to punch something.  but this interview with vig was a harry and lloyd on their way to nebraska totally redeem yourself moment for me.  great video and a down in the weeds interview.  as someone still making his way up the learning curve on recording/engineering, i really enjoyed the geeking out in the first third about studio building.  the deep dive on the process for nevermind was really, really enjoyable for me.  i suspect that @Paul Wesley, @Goredho, @jimmyjazz, and @Chips O'Toole would enjoy it as well (though a lot may be older news to them).

This was fantastic.

16 hours ago, G650 said:

Butch is a very talented dude. Not into all his stuff but have a lot of respect for him.

No doubt I mentioned this before, but that's never held me back:  my band got a call from him in 1993.  He had gotten hold of our demo tape.  We were stoked -- oh shit, maybe it's happening! -- turns out he wanted to talk to our singer.  He ended up flying her up to Madison and she worked with early Garbage for a while, one of those in the "rotating cast of singers" he referred to in that clip, before they found Shirley Manson (who honestly isn't as good a singer as ours was, but a whole lot better looking).

To be honest, "Stupid Girl" is a fairly direct rip of one of our songs.  We went to an attorney and he said "yeah, they lifted plenty of it, but you'll never win enough money to justify pursuing the case".  Fuckers.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No doubt I mentioned this before, but that's never held me back:  my band got a call from him in 1993.  He had gotten hold of our demo tape.  We were stoked -- oh shit, maybe it's happening! -- turns out he wanted to talk to our singer.  He ended up flying her up to Madison and she worked with early Garbage for a while, one of those in the "rotating cast of singers" he referred to in that clip, before they found Shirley Manson (who honestly isn't as good a singer as ours was, but a whole lot better looking).

To be honest, "Stupid Girl" is a fairly direct rip of one of our songs.  We went to an attorney and he said "yeah, they lifted plenty of it, but you'll never win enough money to justify pursuing the case".  Fuckers.

Sounds about right.

39 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Have you considered a cheaper hobby, like breeding quarter horses or climbing Everest?

you're going to piss your pants in laughter when you see what is getting delivered by fedex tomorrow to my dumbass.

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

heh, i almost put a disclaimer in my post about him not saying anything about singer tryouts for garbage.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

We went to an attorney and he said "yeah, they lifted plenty of it, but you'll never win enough money to justify pursuing the case".  Fuckers.

What the attorney really meant, "There's not enough meat on the bone for me to feed."

15 minutes ago, Deej said:

What the attorney really meant, "There's not enough meat on the bone for me to feed."

Well, that too.

It's an old story, and whatever theft occurred, it surely wasn't the most egregious case in history.  It's just kinda obvious when you consider the timelines involved.

scene opens five years into the future:

jimmyjazz's daughter's band hits it global huge...billions of streams on spotify, apple, amazon, youtube.  they do a sold out world stadium tour that would make taylor swift and the rolling stones blush.  there is finally an heir apparent to the great american rock band of the 21st century.  they write over 50 bangers and rival mccartney/lennon and bob dylan as the greatest songwriters of all time.

beato invites proud parent of said superstars and fellow producer jimmyjazz on his show to discuss how he guided his daughter to become such a massive success and how he endured the process of expertly recording, mixing, and mastering without a doubt the world's worst fucking band in history...fastball...and even suggested a lyric line to try and rescue their awful, awful fucking album.

"so jimmyjazz, as your fellow surlyite sidis characterized it in 2022, one of the tracks your daughter's early ouvre had some comparability to garbage's release 2.0...would you say that is a coincidence or would you say that you purposefully tried to influence your daughter's creative taste to mirror garbage tracks like 'stupid girl' because you were so inspired and moved by them at the time?"

camera to jimmyjazz...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

it is three hours long so i had to break it up but for me personally, this was fantastic.  hearing the old stories on peter gabriel, bob dylan, emmylou, etc... was enjoyable...as well as some of the delving into the studio production nerdery.

• Hook 'Em 2

His 2 and 3 hour videos have been killing me. I'll watch most anything he does, but if it's that long I really need to be into that interviewee. Break them down into smaller sections and I'm in, but I'm waaaaaaay behind on his channel lately.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Pretty good episode.  

12 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I posted this in the comments of the Christopher Cross video. But you can see and hear the full solo live here:

Telecaster + Earl Campbell is pretty much a big sell

Chris Mutha-Fuckin’ Cross will make you JUMP-JUMP!

He’s 72 years-old and look like he is in his late 40s and kind of needs to get in shape, but nothing horrible. 

72 !!!

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I posted this in the comments of the Christopher Cross video. But you can see and hear the full solo live here:

Telecaster + Earl Campbell is pretty much a big sell

Interesting double neck he has there to the right of the stage. 

image.png.1323335e7e3c9da6a3255ab50a9b5a12.png

Edited by Chad Fuck

• 3 weeks later...

We had Cross booked for a Texas frat party before his big song hit.  His agent tried to get out of the gig unless we paid way more money.  We said no.  He and his band showed up but he was kind of a bitch -- played the minimum time and and didn't play any of his hits.

Glad that he has done well since then.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

For such an interesting channel & the way he gets various players (Eric Johnson, Robert Trujillo, Christopher Cross, etc) to talk nuts & bolts, DNA of various recordings or gear preferred / tweaked, etc., his "Billionaire" band was very pedestrian.

I dig his channel but was not at all impressed by the band.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2023 at 5:53 PM, ROFL BOX said:

For such an interesting channel & the way he gets various players (Eric Johnson, Robert Trujillo, Christopher Cross, etc) to talk nuts & bolts, DNA of various recordings or gear preferred / tweaked, etc., his "Billionaire" band was very pedestrian.

I dig his channel but was not at all impressed by the band.

well that's why they didn't get anywhere

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 3:33 PM, Chad Fuck said:

Interesting double neck he has there to the right of the stage. 

image.png.1323335e7e3c9da6a3255ab50a9b5a12.png

CC in this Oilers/Earl jersey is how I originally introduced myself to his music. 

I fucking love this dude and the Beato interview is fantastic. Glad to see him looking/feeling good after dealing with some serious health issues. 

Unfortunately it seems he won't be fully appreciated until he kicks the bucket. Texas music legend. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

CC in this Oilers/Earl jersey is how I originally introduced myself to his music. 

I fucking love this dude and the Beato interview is fantastic. Glad to see him looking/feeling good after dealing with some serious health issues. 

Unfortunately it seems he won't be fully appreciated until he kicks the bucket. Texas music legend. 

His first album was the first 8 track I bought back in the 7th grade. 
What I never realized until I moved to Austin as he was friends with some friends of mine, was that he is an awesome guitar player and a really nice guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

His first album was the first 8 track I bought back in the 7th grade. 
What I never realized until I moved to Austin as he was friends with some friends of mine, was that he is an awesome guitar player and a really nice guy. 

In that Beato interview (linked above) he tells some great stories. He said in the 70s there was a state law that a Texas band was required to play with any headlining acts when they toured here. He was in a band prior to hitting it big that opened for Zeppelin. 

I'm guessing he lived in Austin when Earl was playing in mid/late 70s, hence the Oilers 34 jersey. 

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

In that Beato interview (linked above) he tells some great stories. He said in the 70s there was a state law that a Texas band was required to play with any headlining acts when they toured here. He was in a band prior to hitting it big that opened for Zeppelin. 

I'm guessing he lived in Austin when Earl was playing in mid/late 70s, hence the Oilers 34 jersey. 

I think he may have been in Houston right before he broke out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2024 at 3:26 PM, Rip76 said:

Great video on the death of the middle class musician.

This was excellent! It was educational hearing how things like royalties, health care, pension money, etc factored into a musician’s income. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 59 Burst said:

This was excellent! It was educational hearing how things like royalties, health care, pension money, etc factored into a musician’s income. 

Username checks out.