Alex Jones

Hornius Emeritus

7 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Consevatives preferred method of determining integrity is looking in someone's eyes. Just know in their heart is a big one too. Feel it in their bones is also an option. 

Member when GW looked into Putin's eyes and found him very straightforward and trustworthy?  I member. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Consevatives preferred method of determining integrity is looking in someone's eyes. Just know in their heart is a big one too. Feel it in their bones is also an option. 

Wait I thought it was the “I’d like to have a beer with him” litmus test. 

• Hook 'Em 1

One of the jurors spoke to Reuters and confirmed what some on this thread noted during the trial—specifically, that the jury wanted to hammer Jones but the plaintiffs didn’t give the jury a concrete basis to calculate damages:

Spoiler

"We all believed that Neil and Scarlett were credible," Sharon said. "There just weren't tangible things behind their mental anguish, and we were asked to award between $1 and $150 million without any guidance."

Heslin and Lewis couldn't point to specific monetary losses that they suffered because of Jones' conduct, and neither side's lawyers offered clear advice on how to quantify the emotional distress that the conspiracy theorist caused them, Sharon said.

I’m thinking I should claim CLE credit for some of the time I spent listening to the trial in the background.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Man, that trial is a shitshow. Also lol the sidebar has a hot mic and we can hear everything they're saying to the judge - pretty nuts

EDIT: lulz Jones is using the "DT shithead" method of controlling his testimony. The judge set a rule that nothing could be political, and so of course jones and his counsel object to every question on the grounds that "it's political!!!" and then cry to the judge about it. Nevermind that everything jones does is political - the entire basis for the defamation is fucking political!

I wonder if there's any relation between Judge Bellis and blacklab?

Edited by Captainant
  • Haha 3

This Norm Pattis guy, Jones' attorney, apparently is quite something.  By most accounts, he's a pretty good lawyer, if a bit outrageous.  And, like the ACLU, he gets involved in seemingly contradictory matters.

The Jones representation seems unsual even for him, and it appears that having Jones as a client is making him look like a complete asshole.

51 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

This Norm Pattis guy, Jones' attorney, apparently is quite something.  By most accounts, he's a pretty good lawyer, if a bit outrageous.  And, like the ACLU, he gets involved in seemingly contradictory matters.

The Jones representation seems unsual even for him, and it appears that having Jones as a client is making him look like a complete asshole.

You know he's currently being investigated for improperly transmitting the Connecticut plaintiffs' confidential medical records to Alex Jones, right? 

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

He does standup, um… comedy?

If you like that bit, you’ll love his material on “whole insurance.” And you’re probably also a weird racist. 

https://www.vice.com/en/article/akejxe/alex-jones-managed-to-shill-products-and-ask-for-crypto-donations-while-testifying-in-court

Alex Jones took the stand on Thursday in the second defamation trial against him and Infowars. His testimony helped no one, least of all himself; as the day wore on, he accused the lawyer questioning him of “ambulance chasing,” and said “liberals” like him were responsible for “killing Iraqis,” comments that probably made sense to his audience but not to the jury. He also managed to get in a plug for “challenge coins” he’s selling on the site, and publicly asked whoever has been anonymously sending him large crypto donations to keep doing it. 

“Conservatives know all about silver and gold,” he told plaintiffs’ attorney Chris Mattei, cheerfully, during an otherwise argumentative day. Moments later, he spelled out the website where his audience can send crypto donations to him. Mattei asked incredulously if he was doing an ad; Jones responded, "We're fighting the Deep State, we need to make money.” He then said he hoped the “big whales” sending large crypto donations keep doing it. (This is, for those keeping track, the second trial in which he’s managed to shill his products from the stand; he added product placement to his testimony in the last defamation trial against him in Texas, too.)  

Jones and Infowars called Sandy Hook a “hoax” for years, beginning hours after the shooting, a position Jones has insisted he no longer holds. This second trial is taking place in Connecticut, where Jones and the company were sued by a group of Sandy Hook families who lost loved ones in the attack, as well as an FBI agent, William Aldenberg, who responded to the scene. Jones and Infowars lost all the Sandy Hook cases brought in both Connecticut and Texas by default, after judges in both states ruled that the company failed to respond meaningfully to discovery and didn’t turn over necessary documents to the other side. As with the first trial, in Texas, where a jury ultimately awarded the plaintiffs $49.3 million, this second trial is solely to determine damages.

Thus far, several plaintiffs have testified: Erica Lafferty and Carlee Soto Parisi, whose mothers, a Sandy Hook principal and teacher, died in the attack, as well as David Wheeler and Jennifer Hensel, both of whom had children who died. The survivor testimony stood in stark contrast to Jones’ performance on the stand; through tears, each person lovingly recounted the person they lost, and the hell they underwent when conspiracy theorists began targeting their families. 

After the murder of his son Ben, David Wheeler testified on Wednesday, "I felt like I was underwater. I didn't know which way was up." And in the midst of that, he added, "to have someone publicly telling the world that it didn't happen, that you're a fraud and a phony, is incredibly disorienting."

The case has also been sidetracked by an endless series of arguments about what can and cannot be mentioned in court. During Jones’ testimony, both sides struggled to get around the long list of things they’ve agreed not to mention in front of the jury, including Hillary Clinton, the 2016 presidential elections, the previous lawsuits against Jones, and the previous lawsuits won by the plaintiffs against other parties. Jones also isn’t allowed to claim he didn’t profit from the Sandy Hook coverage or that he didn’t spend that much time on it over the years, both claims he’s made repeatedly outside the courtroom. Jones and Mattei tussled over whether he ever called the Sandy Hook parents suing him actors (he did) or imitated them faking their tears (he definitely did). 

Infowars has tried to monetize the trial, even setting up a separate page, titled “Kangaroo Court,” to cover it, which Jones insisted in his testimony he had nothing to do with. On air, Jones has also called Judge Barbara Bellis a “tyrant,” said the court is a “puppet court,” and claimed he’s being “forced” to  perjure himself after Judge Bellis instructed his lawyer, Norm Pattis, that Jones can’t use his testimony to grandstand about his First Amendment rights being violated, can’t claim that the default ruling is invalid, and can’t mention other settlements some of these plaintiffs have won. (Specifically, some of these plaintiffs were involved in a landmark ruling against Remington Arms, the gun manufacturer which made the AR-15 that Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza used to murder his victims.) 

Jones’ testimony thus came in fits and starts, as he frequently claimed he couldn’t recall things he did on air or testified to in previous depositions. (This came, ironically, after he told attorney Mattei, “I have a pretty good memory,” claiming he’d never mentioned one of the plaintiffs, Aldenberg, on air; Mattei then showed a segment that Infowars ran about Aledenberg.) 

As the day wore on, Jones, Mattei and Pattis all began increasingly yelling at and interrupting each other, with Jones interjecting bizarre asides about things like mind control and Unabomber Ted Kacynski that would have, again, made zero sense to anyone not deeply immersed in the Infowars cinematic universe. 

Jones eventually declared that he’s “done” apologizing for saying Sandy Hook was staged. “Is this a struggle session?” he demanded. “Are we in China?” He added that he’s “apologized hundreds of times” in the past, adding, "I legitimately thought it might have been staged. I stand by that, and I don't apologize for it." 

It was, on the whole, a messy and unilluminating day in court for a messy and unilluminating man; earlier in the day, Jones also managed to imply that the Deep State is secretly behind the lawsuit. When asked about Aldenberg, the FBI agent plaintiff, Jones said “the FBI” was suing him. 

“Is it your testimony that the FBI is suing you?” Mattei asked, exasperated. 

“I think this is a Deep State situation, yeah,” Jones responded before allowing, a minute later, that the FBI is not “officially” suing him. (They’re not doing it unofficially either.) 

Jones’ testimony will, somehow, continue when court resumes on Friday.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Alex is so fucking dumb. And he’s a horrible human being, so I love watching him self-immolate on the witness stand. And it will be fun to see these poor victims of his lunacy toss him into the poorhouse.

The bankruptcy court development cited above is honestly the most interesting thing to come out today, in terms of what could really put him in the poorhouse.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

The bankruptcy court development cited above is honestly the most interesting thing to come out today, in terms of what could really put him in the poorhouse.

Yep.  I think the trustee is going to claw back the $54 million in loans to family members here right away.  Make that motherfucker destitute.

• Drool 1