Washington DC

midtown

I was there in December, also stayed at the JW Marriott.

Take the monuments walking tour at night. There should be less people and it’s be more solemn. Start at Lincoln and make your way to the WWII monument.

The African American History Museum is a must. It’s pretty fantastic, and will require a reservation a few weeks in advance. You can easily spend a good two-hours there.

Ebbitt is fine. It’s kinda touristy, but get a seafood tower and enjoy the atmosphere and people watching. For nicer meal, book a dinner at Annabelle. It’s awesome.

I grew up just south of DC but have only been back three times as an adult. I always loved that town.

• Hook 'Em 4

Answering Bates' clarion call (appreciate the inferential compliment).  A few quick reactions:

14 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I'd imagine DC is pretty hated on this board but I've lived in a lot of places and it's a great city for a myriad of reasons.  Does it have some drawbacks, yea of course.

Agreed.  The D.C. region = L.A./ San Diego for the sheer amount of stuff you can do within a 4 hour (~200 mile) radius.  There's no place like it IMO.  So why ain't I still there?  Long story, but Austin is kinda like mini-D.C. except if you travel 3 hours in any direction, with the exception of the Gulf (which is hit/miss) you've gone nowhere.  Just lots of Texas.

14 hours ago, dcbc said:

Everyone I know who has lived there has loved it.

See above.  I did up to a point.  But there's too much "northeastern" to it as in snooty people and grade-A assholes.  I got tired of egomaniacs.  Texas still to me has the greatest people on earth.  No, really, I'm not drunk.  Of course I'm not including College Station, what do I look like?

Also keep in mind that the "political" shit only involves about 1/2 a million people, and most of them transitory.  While D.C. will of course always have a political bent, you can grow up there and not think/give 2 shits about politics or people in them.  There's damn near 10 million people in the Balt-Wash corridor, and the HUGE majority of them are residents who have their own lives and stories having nothing to do with politics.  It's possible to ignore the bullshit in D.C. even 12 miles from the Capitol (which is where I grew up).  Tourists will never get this as they're in/out too quickly to really soak up the best of D.C. (mountains/hills west, and my favorite, the tidewater/bay regions).  D.C. can be galaxies from politics without much effort.

15 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

It’ll be hot as fuck and unless you are from Houston, you will not be ready for the humidity.

Dont try to do too much in one day.  A “air and space, natural history, and  Arlington cemetery day” is going to make you miserable . Pick a museum and focus on it, then have a lunch, nap, and make evening plans. 

DC is very walkable.  And downtown and most neighborhoods are very safe, unless you are in front of a night club at 1 in the morning.  Check the 9:30 club and Anthem and see if somebody cool is playing.

Lincoln Monument is always worth visiting.  There’s something about standing in the shadow of the Great Emancipator and reading the Gettysburg address that makes me well up with pride. 

Off the beaten path museums: Portrait, Hirshhorn, Phillips. 

Blow it out meals: Le Diplomat and Dauphine.  Other than the raw bar, Old Ebbitt is straight off the back of the Sysco truck, but it’s an institution.  You won’t see any politicos, just a fuck ton of tourists. 

- I strongly agree with all of this, esp. the comments on the weather.  You have not experienced humidity like D.C. say after July 1.  Of course it can be 86° and brisk - 0r 95° and awful.  He's spot on.  You won't be used to it.  So:

- Bate's 2nd point is also good, and I have 2 recs here:  1) do monuments at night.  Just do it.  Don't question it.  FAR more enjoyable.  FAR more.  No people, no sweat-sauna.  Do it.  2) Bate's "walkable" is very true.  And if I were touristing, I'd do it one way only - by geography.  To me there are about 6 areas in D.C. a) Capitol/Judiciary area; b) Central Mall (museums esp.); c) "old downtown" (essentially Chinatown and about a 10X10 block area including Ford's, Portrait, FBI, etc.); d) "New" Downtown with all the best eateries and shops (area near GWU/17th and L or so); e) Western Mall (Monument, Lincoln, Vietnam, WWII, Korean, FDR, Jefferson, etc.).

If you plan out your time by geography, it's much easier than worrying about transp and long, long, long unjustified walks.  Metro is great for all of these areas except Western Mall  - where it really doesn't stop as conveniently to Lincoln, Vietnam, etc.  But there's a stop near Smithsonian Castle, better than nothing.  I'd approach it this way with each letter above 1 day, except Central Mall which would need 2 due to the fairly long time you can spend in the 5-6 museums there (Archives, too).  Get to Archives VERY EARLY as lines WILL form and it'll be hot.  If you're in a line, for god's sake take an umbrella or something to ward off the sun.

Other than that, I always recommend the Bureau of Engraving to people (where they print the dollar bills). Unlike mints, the only place in the country where they do this, and it's fascinating.  It's down just south of the Mall, Monument end near 14th and Independence (forget the exact streets, look it up).  Kids love it too.  Definitely worth the hour or so in there.

As far as eats, etc.  I'll leave it to the more current residents to give props to whatever.  I was just up in March and we did well in Dupont (some good ethnic).  Adams-Morgan always has great international food, and a Metro stop right there to boot.  But can't recommend any specifics.  If you go to Cathedral, you might consider a stop near there for a meal.  Otherwise, foodies know more than I do now about the city proper. 

12 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Udvar-Hazy is a Smithsonian Airplane Museum next to Dulles Airport (IAD). In DC, unless you live in Reston, VA, everyone hates IAD.  I won’t pick my wife up from there.  It’s a fucking nightmare to get to. Cool mid century modern terminal tho. 

Look, if you have a rental car or a friend who will drive and make a day of it, Udvar-Hazy is worth it.  If you are downtown and flying in and out of DCA, why would you haul your ass all the way out to the Austin equivalent of Georgetown when you have all of Austin available?  Just do DC. 

Definitely agree with the bold here.  It's probably a nice museum, but man, that's a long, slow slog just to see a few planes.  If Air and Space is down or something, maybe.  Yeah the terminal at Dulles is pretty famous and a good see, but not on the A, B, or C list if you've never been to D.C. waste of opportunity to see other stuff.  However, if it floats your boat...

(I'm not as anti-Dulles as Bates, I like the flow thru it, but agree it's a long haul.  I know they've been eternally working on the Metro line to get out there, and for eons have been trying to get the Reston area open - way behind schedule.  Once that part opens I'd recommend it more I guess, because you won't have to get off the Metro and take a bus to Dulles.  I think it's supposed to open this summer, right?  Hah, we'll see.

Mt. Vernon is nice and I love it, but don't expect it to be anything but swamped.  It's a bit of a drive down to there, but worth it.  Agree that Alexandria is nice but kind of out of the way and is kinda sorta like Georgetown, which isn't.  Beyond that, you start getting into "been there, done that" lower-level sites that are very, very cool out of the beaten path stuff.  But I would never recommend doing those before you've seen all the "stuff" everyone expects to.  That's why you go there.  Lots more to do, but most here have hit the essentials pretty well.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

I was there in December, also stayed at the JW Marriott.

Take the monuments walking tour at night. There should be less people and it’s be more solemn. Start at Lincoln and make your way to the WWII monument.

The African American History Museum is a must. It’s pretty fantastic, and will require a reservation a few weeks in advance. You can easily spend a good two-hours there.

Ebbitt is fine. It’s kinda touristy, but get a seafood tower and enjoy the atmosphere and people watching. For nicer meal, book a dinner at Annabelle. It’s awesome.

I grew up just south of DC but have only been back three times as an adult. I always loved that town.

Yep.  Seeing the Lincoln and WWII Memorials at night is some kind of aweing and breathtaking.  The WWII Memorial will bring tears to your eyes, especially when you look at the wall of gold stars and read the inscription on the front of the pool.  Hell, I just choked up typing about it.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

if you are a plane nerd, it’s your bag.

Yes.  Big nerd.

We had a car and while it was a trek, it was worth it I thought.  We got very lucky on traffic it seems (as in no slow downs there and back).  We stayed at the Hyatt on the mall and walked ourselves silly the first day.  We hit up U/H Air and Space on day 2.  So a little time in the car didn't bother me a bit.  We hit up Arlington on the way home and got our steps in that afternoon. 

Honestly, the only disappointment the whole trip was the Spy Museum.  It sounded fantastic, but I found it to be a bit hokey.  We also went at the end of the first day and I was pretty much spent at that point.  Pro tip.  Just go to the gift shop.  You can see the James Bond DB5 from there.

5 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Honestly, the only disappointment the whole trip was the Spy Museum.  It sounded fantastic, but I found it to be a bit hokey.  We also went at the end of the first day and I was pretty much spent at that point.  Pro tip.  Just go to the gift shop.  You can see the James Bond DB5 from there.

I kinda dug the Spy Museum with my kids when we went back in 2018.  But I'm not sure I would've enjoyed it as much without the kiddos.

I thought the Newseum was one of our best stops, and was sad that it shut down.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I kinda dug the Spy Museum with my kids when we went back in 2018.  But I'm not sure I would've enjoyed it as much without the kiddos.

I thought the Newseum was one of our best stops, and was sad that it shut down.

There were some cool parts about it.  But I like to self-guide tour at museums and the whole, "You're a spy" thing didn't do it for me.  My kids were with me and liked some of the things, but, mostly, we were worn out. 

American History museum was fantastic.  We took this trip last year.  So a lot of stuff still was shut down due to COVID and you had to reserve times for everything way ahead of time.

Just took the kids to DC couple months ago. Been several times and its truly an awesome and beautiful city. 

As for the current state of things: Air and Space is under major renovation. Maybe 10% of their stuff is on display. As painful as it may be I would skip it this time and go out to Dulles where a lot of AS stuff is on display. 

American History was a huge bummer. Maybe its post Covid but they didnt have anything out. Dorothys slippers from Wizard of Oz took up a huge room. Lots of current politically based exhibits but if you want any artifacts from Revolutionary War or Civil War youre pretty much out of luck. Bunch of stuff about voting and citizenship. Yawn. 

Went to see the Hope Diamond. Very cool but they havent done anything with the gem collection in decades. You can even see dust on the inside of the exhibits. 

Smithsonian castle has a pretty cool futures exhibit thats worth a look. 

Engraving is closed for renovation. 

I think if you get to your Congressman you can see FBI. That used to be cool but havent been in a long time. 

Library of Congress is gorgeous. I wouldnt spend a day on it but its worth an hour. 

We took a private tour of the monuments which I would recommend. Get some history and they take you to each one. Walking that would be exhausting if its hot, and it will be. 

Went to some restaurants in the Union Market area NE where I wouldnt have gone at gunpoint 20 years ago and it was awesome. That joint was rocking. Maybe check that out. 

Bring your walking shoes. 

38 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.  Seeing the Lincoln and WWII Memorials at night is some kind of aweing and breathtaking.  The WWII Memorial will bring tears to your eyes, especially when you look at the wall of gold stars and read the inscription on the front of the pool.  Hell, I just choked up typing about it.  

My take is different.  WW2 is a huge monument, but something about it to me feels less personal. 

Korea at night, lighted up, is awe inspiring. You almost can place yourself there, then.

Vietnam is just special in a way that words can't capture.  As you approach you hear a lot of sights and sounds, sirens and buses, sounds of the city.  But as you descend (it's sort of below grade) a strange silence comes where you can hear a few birds, but the city fades away, and it's just you, quiet people remembering and grieving the loss, and this cold black wall of granite with too many names.  That one, I always feel bad leaving, guilty walking away like somehow it deserves more time.  I can't imagine what the 2nd place proposal for the Vietnam memorial looked like, but this has to be the finest memorial in the world.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, CoTex said:

My take is different.  WW2 is a huge monument, but something about it to me feels less personal. 

Korea at night, lighted up, is awe inspiring. You almost can place yourself there, then.

Vietnam is just special in a way that words can't capture.  As you approach you hear a lot of sights and sounds, sirens and buses, sounds of the city.  But as you descend (it's sort of below grade) a strange silence comes where you can hear a few birds, but the city fades away, and it's just you, quiet people remembering and grieving the loss, and this cold black wall of granite with too many names.  That one, I always feel bad leaving, guilty walking away like somehow it deserves more time.  I can't imagine what the 2nd place proposal for the Vietnam memorial looked like, but this has to be the finest memorial in the world.

Yeah, WW2 really does not do it for me, it just feels very disconnected (and those bronze emblems feel ripped right out of the Albert Speer for amateur designers guide). Fun Fact: the Arts Commission that guides development of the Mall rejected the WW2 monument multiple times, based on location and design.  But Private Ryan came out, everyone got nostalgic, and Congress overrode the decision. 

Love Korea and Vietnam.  

If you are looking towards Lincoln on the far end of the reflecting pool, off to your left is a Doric dome with columns, and that’s the DC War Memorial. Very understated and cool (actually literally: it’s very shady). Worth a walk by if your on that end of the mall. 

If you don’t mind hiking over to Haines Point, FDR is also literally very cool: lots of shade and fountains.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, CoTex said:

Agree very much with this.  I've been there a few times, and it's rare to see people walk down beside the Wall and not stop talking or keeping their voices at a whisper.  It's like going into a church.  I always get emotional, and it's probably because my dad served two tours in Vietnam.

One time in high school my parents took us to D.C. for a day trip, and I think it was the first time we'd been there since the Wall was built.  We were at the entrance ready to make our decent to walk beside the Wall, and my mom, my kid brother and I start walking down, and I look back and my dad was still standing on the top.  He just couldn't bring himself to go down there.  That was the first time I really appreciated how much my dad was carrying back from Vietnam. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Agree very much with this.  I've been there a few times, and it's rare to see people walk down beside the Wall and not stop talking or keeping their voices at a whisper.  It's like going into a church.

I don't know if it was necessary, but I pulled both my boys aside before we walked down to the memorial and explained to them in no uncertain terms that they were to keep their eyes open and their mouths shut while we were walking along the memorial. 

• Hook 'Em 3

The power of the Vietnam memorial now sort of obscures what a controversial design it was at the time.  It's why the sculptures of the three soldiers was included up the hill, as a compromise.  The additional sculpture if fine, I suppose, but it does, in a way, detract from the raw power of the wall. As does the Women's memorial.   Maya Lin's simple, elegant design, especially when paired with the Grandeur of the Lincoln Monument and the lush, rich design of the Korean Monument really makes that end of the Mall the best.

To @miguelito point:  The Renwick is the best thing in the surrounding WH complex.  Great small museum.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

The power of the Vietnam memorial now sort of obscures what a controversial design it was at the time.  It's why the sculptures of the three soldiers was included up the hill, as a compromise.  The additional sculpture if fine, I suppose, but it does, in a way, detract from the raw power of the wall. As does the Women's memorial.   Maya Lin's simple, elegant design, especially when paired with the Grandeur of the Lincoln Monument and the lush, rich design of the Korean Monument really makes that end of the Mall the best.

You might know this living up there, but when the Vietnam Memorial was unveiled, it produced a fierce backlash.  Critics very much liked it, but the biggest opponents were, by and large - Vietnam vets.  I was living there at the time and I heard quite a few Nam vets (through my brother, who served then, although not in Nam, had a bunch of friends who did) sort of bringing up your exact points on contrast.  Whereas the other memorials were glistening, white, dazzling, and statuesque, the "ditch of shame" as it was first referred to was a black, dark, below-ground-level of embarrassment and grudging acknowledgement (as they saw it).  Fresh from the "baby killer" wounds, they felt that it almost projected shame and blame to a lot of these vets - clearly to many of them it was as if the country was trying to "hide" Vietnam below ground, tucked away from easy spotting.  From most vantage points around it, you wouldn't even know it was there.  There was a huge push to dump it or re-do it.  And again Vietnam vets groups were among the most aggressive.

What no one (or very few) perhaps realized is that in time, it would become a "shrine" and have more emotional pulling power than almost any other memorial.  And again, the leading participants were Nam vets.  By word of mouth, vets would return from it and tell their buddies how a flood of emotions, many of which bore shame and self-loathing of what they perceived as society's scorn, would be released there, as they could "touch" their dead buddies'/family member's legacy by seeing and feeling their names (and eventually rubbing it onto paper).  The therapeutic effect caught them off guard, and I would go down there and see 50 vets just sobbing, being held in loved ones' arms, etc.  Especially raw right after the war, it was so emotionally powerful there was nothing like it.

Still, the vets' demands were met, and the statues were erected.  I believe they do what the vets wanted - add a real physical element, a time capsule, to the experience.  The wary, nervous looks of the soldiers with the statues placed well into the shade of trees, almost resembling the jungle - was well-appreciated by the vets, and all suits and other grudges evaporated.

Of course much time has elapsed since most of those guys were in their 20's to 50's, and now the average vet is well over 70.  I'm sure with so much time passing the events aren't as raw, but for Nam vets it has absolutely become a cleansing station, unlike any other monument I know of in the world (sort of American Cemetery in Normandy for WWII vets).  And in time the "ditch of shame" as evolved into a stunning, powerful "church" as it were of the Vietnam experience.  Yeah, there's a reason why you feel like it's a church and it's far more evocative than most things there.

But when you see those 3 guys that were "added', don't scoff at them or fail to understand that even if they don't seem to "go with" the wall, they represent a powerful desire of those old Vietnam vets to be portrayed in a sort of "glory" as with many war memorials.  That statue complex does serve a purpose - and is truly a homage to the guys who weren't killed and had to come back to idiotic and shitheaded contempt.  And trust me, many of them did.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, phdhorn said:

That statue complex does serve a purpose - and is truly a homage to the guys who weren't killed and had to come back to idiotic and shitheaded contempt.  And trust me, many of them did.

This segment from Vietnam in HD captures some of that. It’s a tough watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Agreed. When I was up there for the Maryland game (shudder), I would just go walking around the Mall at night. Beautiful. We're planning to take the kids next Spring Break as the wife has always wanted to see the cherry blossoms. 

It’s pretty but crowded AF. If you want to see them in a less crowded setting, you could try the Arboretum.

On 6/9/2022 at 5:12 PM, Bateshorn said:

It’ll be hot as fuck and unless you are from Houston, you will not be ready for the humidity.

Dont try to do too much in one day.  A “air and space, natural history, and  Arlington cemetery day” is going to make you miserable . Pick a museum and focus on it, then have a lunch, nap, and make evening plans. 

DC is very walkable.  And downtown and most neighborhoods are very safe, unless you are in front of a night club at 1 in the morning.  Check the 9:30 club and Anthem and see if somebody cool is playing.

Lincoln Monument is always worth visiting.  There’s something about standing in the shadow of the Great Emancipator and reading the Gettysburg address that makes me well up with pride. 

Off the beaten path museums: Portrait, Hirshhorn, Phillips. 

Blow it out meals: Le Diplomat and Dauphine.  Other than the raw bar, Old Ebbitt is straight off the back of the Sysco truck, but it’s an institution.  You won’t see any politicos, just a fuck ton of tourists. 

I would add Rasika to the blow it out list. You want Old Ebbitt food (or better) plus a lot of politicos? Go to the Monocle.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

I would add Rasika to the blow it out list. You want Old Ebbitt food (or better) plus a lot of politicos? Go to the Monocle.

They pour heavy at the Monocle. Don’t plan for an early morning. Charlie Palmer is also good for spotting Senators headed to fundraisers. 

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Sadly, Corona virus took Cafe Mozart.  RIP.

I am devastated by its loss. It was BY FAR my favorite place to take people in DC for long meetings. The food was great, but liter steins of German beer? Four hours later, everybody was best friends in the whole world (and then we would invade Poland).

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

That does suck.

FWIW our favorite German restaurant is Cafe Berlin on Mass Ave kinda near Union Station; my wife's friend owns it. They grew up together there. 

I like that place too. I have a friend who works right there so I've been a few times. And the outdoor seating is really nice. But I loved Cafe Mozart.

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2022 at 8:26 AM, South Austin said:

His tapas place Jaleo is pretty good.

Yea went there.  Awesome.  Had some tasting menu for 24.00. Yea. Good 

dc area is just surrounded by a lot of stuff to do.  We used to just do day trips to nyc.   Baltimore and Annapolis are right around the corner 

Edited by closetohumping

On 8/14/2022 at 10:05 AM, closetohumping said:

Yea went there.  Awesome.  Had some tasting menu for 24.00. Yea. Good 

dc area is just surrounded by a lot of stuff to do.  We used to just do day trips to nyc.   Baltimore and Annapolis are right around the corner 

You don't have to go to Baltimore. There are plenty of places in DC where you can still get murdered in broad daylight. 

• 3 weeks later...

Making my first visit to DC later this month, 25th to Oct.2nd, so have been reading thru this thread for sage advice. The first 3 days will be at the Wyndham Oxon Hill in the National Harbor area for conference/workshop related events. Have done minor research but not looking as promising as other parts of town on cool things to do/see. There's the Casino, Waterfront Park and Air Force 1 Replica of some sort, so really need some recs here. The next 4 days we have an Airbnb in Capital Hill and a free schedule, so we'll do the normal first-time touristy things and try out a few of the restaurants/bars that have been mentioned here. Looks like the Nationals have a home series with the Phillies so that might be doable. No rental car, the tales of parking nightmares have made me choose to go Uber, Metro, cab or whatever instead. 

Using the Metro is super easy, but you have the know the station at the end of the line you want.  You don't look for "the northbound train", or "the one that stops at Dupont."  You need to know that Shady Grove is the end of the red line, and that Dupont is on that line.  But just check out the maps in the stations and you'll be fine. 

And here's where I'll plug GCDC again.  It's an awesome grilled cheese joint not far from the White House and the Renwick.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We’re going the first week in December. My wife will be at seminar for a couple days, so I can do whatever the f*** I want for a couple days. I’m pretty frugal, so the plan right now is to walk around, hit all the Smithsonians, and drink quite a bit. 

I know it’s touristy, but I’m going to Jack Rose Saloon and the St Elmo’s bar. 

Honestly, I need the following:

- Brunch spot after services at the National Cathedral. Needs to nearby. 

- Nice dinner spot. Open to any of the European cuisines. I can get a good steak in my backyard. 

- Hotel recs. I usually stay at one of the Marriotts in Arlington. I really don’t give a shit if it’s a Marriott or a Hilton with an underground tunnel to the Metro. If I can do better than Arlington price wise/location, lay it on me. 

• 4 weeks later...

Old Ebbitt Grill might be the “oldest restaurant in DC”, but they serve the worst chili I’ve ever tasted. Beans, and very sweet tasting. I almost never send anything back, but I sent that shit back in a hurry. The Paper Plane was a good cocktail. My wife enjoyed her oysters. 

Off the Record Bar in the Hay Adam’s was pretty cool. Very solid burger. 

The Tombs got bought up by a large DC restaurant group. Kirbo must have finally married his angel investor. No Rob Lowe on the sax, but lots of Georgetown students and a DJ. It was still cool, but imagine if Landry’s bought Valhalla. 

DC has the simplest mass transit system I’ve ever used. I’ve been here a day and I have it down cold. I’d recommend staying anywhere near a stop on the blue line. The yellow is closed until May 2023.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Old Ebbitt Grill might be the “oldest restaurant in DC”, but they serve the worst chili I’ve ever tasted. Beans, and very sweet tasting. I almost never send anything back, but I sent that shit back in a hurry. The Paper Plane was a good cocktail. My wife enjoyed her oysters. 

Your wife did it right: stick with the raw bar or fried seafood at the Old Ebbitt. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Using the Metro is super easy, but you have the know the station at the end of the line you want.  You don't look for "the northbound train", or "the one that stops at Dupont."  You need to know that Shady Grove is the end of the red line, and that Dupont is on that line.  But just check out the maps in the stations and you'll be fine. 

And here's where I'll plug GCDC again.  It's an awesome grilled cheese joint not far from the White House and the Renwick.

Most train systems name each line after its final stop - that’s pretty global. The metro is super easy to learn and navigate.

Your wife did it right: stick with the raw bar or fried seafood at the Old Ebbitt. 

Bingo. I love whiskey and oysters at the OE, and I always bump into people I know (and I’m far from a DC insider).

On 11/10/2022 at 9:16 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

We’re going the first week in December. My wife will be at seminar for a couple days, so I can do whatever the f*** I want for a couple days. I’m pretty frugal, so the plan right now is to walk around, hit all the Smithsonians, and drink quite a bit. 

I know it’s touristy, but I’m going to Jack Rose Saloon and the St Elmo’s bar. 

Honestly, I need the following:

- Brunch spot after services at the National Cathedral. Needs to nearby. 

- Nice dinner spot. Open to any of the European cuisines. I can get a good steak in my backyard. 

- Hotel recs. I usually stay at one of the Marriotts in Arlington. I really don’t give a shit if it’s a Marriott or a Hilton with an underground tunnel to the Metro. If I can do better than Arlington price wise/location, lay it on me. 

La Piquette is pretty good by the Cathedral. Never been for brunch but their lunch is good.

• Hook 'Em 1