Tell me about the SWC

Bash Riprock

I hated Arkansas almost as much as aggy. I actually went to a game in Arkansas as a kid with my dad and feared for my life walking back to the car after UT won. My first exposure to a pack of inbreds.

SMU was usually a win until Craig James suddenly appeared with hookers while complimenting Eric Dickerson on his new Trans Am that he drove from the station. Something seemed a little sketchy when they went from the sewer to one of the best teams in the nation in about 30 seconds.

Jackie Sherril was cheating at a level that made Switzer jealous, and was a world class prick. Yet he got out-pricked by John Jenkins at Cougar High. What an arrogant d-bag.

That's what I remember about the SWC.

• Like 4

Almost every away game Was within driving distance. Lubbock was a long, long drive.  The rest were easy to get to and we had Houston and DFW every other year. It was a great conference to go to games just not enough TV sets and no CCG. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

Those are bad ass, I would pay good money for those things.

I bought the Longhorns one at a flea market for next to nothing back in the 1900’s.   The top of the hat lifts up and it is a corked liquor bottle.  I’ll have to look to see what brand.  Only downside is one of the horns is chipped.

If & when I had the chance I always likes pulling for the underdogs Rice, when playing Texas A&M and Kansas when playing Nebraska...

Yes I know it's a bit twisted, but I miss the days of close rivalries that were a close drive while growing up in the southwest... 

One of the 1st games when I began following from afar was the UT 1987 game vs Pitt in Houston, at the time I was in elementary and still got confused in the difference between the NFL Cowboys my dad rooted for and college teams... 

4 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

I was at Texas' last SWC game.  Beat aggy on their home field to wrap up the last SWC Championship.  Then the corps dorks proceeded to beat up our students for going on their sacred artificial turf.

Jackasses.

I was on the first row of the open end of the stadium in A Texas section. Talk began floating around about storming the field. I guess the DPS cop in front of our section was a Horn because he stepped aside and held his arm out like come on down. 

We obliged. Once we saw what the corps was doing in the horseshoe I went directly to the players because I knew it would be safe there. 

Smacked Phil Dawson on the shoulder pads. The players looked shocked, I don't think because of the outcome but because there were Texas fans and students all over the visiting field. 

Great day. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I was on the first row of the open end of the stadium in A Texas section. Talk began floating around about storming the field. I guess the DPS cop in front of our section was a Horn because he stepped aside and held his arm out like come on down. 

We obliged. Once we saw what the corps was doing in the horseshoe I went directly to the players because I knew it would be safe there. 

Smacked Phil Dawson on the shoulder pads. The players looked shocked, I don't think because of the outcome but because there were Texas fans and students all over the visiting field. 

Great day. 

Was probably the most fun I've ever had at  a football game.  Ags were pissy going into it.  They couldn't believe what was happening on their BS-memorial field.  After it was over...they were furious.

Corp turd threw a shoulder into me as I was walking into the stadium.  I was wearing my burnt orange and was all of 16 years old(probably looked 13).  So I was the perfect victim for one of those pseudo-warriors.

7 hours ago, Druggist said:

I bought the Longhorns one at a flea market for next to nothing back in the 1900’s.   The top of the hat lifts up and it is a corked liquor bottle.  I’ll have to look to see what brand.  Only downside is one of the horns is chipped.

Wild Turkey.

i have the Raider Red one.  It was my father's. 

16 hours ago, Druggist said:

Didn't know Armybrat's son posted on here. 

12 hours ago, TornACL said:

Great day. 

I must have been sitting right by you, but I got my tix through the A&M lottery for parents since my brother was an Aggie.  Tough to tell what was going on from field level in the end zone, but I could see the scoreboard and it was glorious.  Being in the middle of the team, giving them high-fives, and singing The Eyes while on the field, facing the band is one of my greatest college memories.  

We also walked over and lined the walkway from the locker room and cheered the team as they headed to the field for both halves.  The crazy intensity in Brackens face and posture as he headed out to destroy them was one of the most intimidating things i’ve ever seen.

12 hours ago, TCU Alum said:

I believe "Miss Baylor" was expelled after this issue hit the stands.  

Makes sense. Nothing changes, she shouldn't have dressed (or put on a dress) that way.

Edited by UTEX_ME

I was at that last game at aggy sitting in the endzone on the edge of the Texas section.  I didn't rush the field because I was too drunk from aggy tears.  I did witness a corp turd who was trying to walk up into the seats get nailed in the chest with a half-eaten hot dog coated in mustard and relish.  The look on his face was priceless.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And fun.  

Meanwhile, Aggy and SMU couldn't stop fucking up the paying of their players and causing everybody to find out.  Aggy got so damned lucky they weren't nailed to the wall by the NCAA before SMU was killed.

EVERYONE, with the possible exception of Rice, was paying their players back then.  Even UT.  If you don't understand that, then you've got your head buried in the sand.

SMU's problem is that they were far more coordinated in the scheme and they were a small school like the NCAA likes to make examples of.  (Of those two, the coordination involving their Board of Regents was far more important.)

And when SMU turned in TCU for paying Kenneth Davis and Jim Wacker said he knew nothing about it... that was one of the biggest lies ever told. 

48 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

EVERYONE, with the possible exception of Rice, was paying their players back then.  Even UT.  If you don't understand that, then you've got your head buried in the sand.

SMU's problem is that they were far more coordinated in the scheme and they were a small school like the NCAA likes to make examples of.  (Of those two, the coordination involving their Board of Regents was far more important.)

And when SMU turned in TCU for paying Kenneth Davis and Jim Wacker said he knew nothing about it... that was one of the biggest lies ever told. 

I don't disagree, but SMU had already been warned once. And they weren't even trying to hide it. It was a case of a little corruption being ok, too much corruption was not.

There is a pretty good 30 for 30 episode about that whole sordid deal.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

DKR wasn't paying anyone and hated the cheating alums. As AD, he once threatened to kick all the BB booster club officers out of Texas athletics and ban them from the campus for as long as he was at UT. Got that straight from the club's treasurer (my brother), who said they had been considering (until Royal got wind of it)  buying a used car for a basketball player in need.

There were plenty of $100 handshakes going around and $100 bills left in lockers during home games, or so I was told.

It was basically The Texas Conference with Arky being the only out of state team. Had no major media footprint and wasn't sustainable when TV money became something that mattered. Fun to look back on in a nostalgia sense. Especially because we won it twenty-five times. The Big XII is going the same way, especially with people dumb enough to want to add teams like UH and BYU who would offer nothing financially to the Big XII.

12 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

If College Football got itself corrected and shared one big pie, I wouldn't mind if they re did divisions and brought the old SWC back

Absolutely.  Eight teams per conference would also allow marquee out of conference scheduling.

33 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

If College Football got itself corrected and shared one big pie, I wouldn't mind if they re did divisions and brought the old SWC back

But Humble Radio's Kern Tip voice ain't ever coming back unfortunately.

• Like 1