Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

On the latest Andy Staples/Athletic pod, they had Sam Khan their recruiting guy on it. Said he thinks as of now Arch and Sark are an item.  Also one of the hosts thinks Card wins the job and Quinn will take over after the Bama game.  Says that Sark doesn't want to put Quinn in the same position he did with Card a season ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

On the latest Andy Staples/Athletic pod, they had Sam Khan their recruiting guy on it. Said he thinks as of now Arch and Sark are an item. 

I hope he's right, but if he is, we need Arch to commit this spring. Landing Arch will always be huge, but if he waits until six games into the season, we won't even have enough time to really build momentum for 23.  Sark has to find a way to close this one ASAP.  Even just winning the recruitment isn't enough right now with the shit product he put on the field last year. 

9 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Also one of the hosts thinks Card wins the job and Quinn will take over after the Bama game.  Says that Sark doesn't want to put Quinn in the same position he did with Card a season ago.

That guy is a fucking moron. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

On the latest Andy Staples/Athletic pod, they had Sam Khan their recruiting guy on it. Said he thinks as of now Arch and Sark are an item.  Also one of the hosts thinks Card wins the job and Quinn will take over after the Bama game.  Says that Sark doesn't want to put Quinn in the same position he did with Card a season ago.

As far as I know, based on reading him all last year, Sam Khan has less connections to Texas and less knowledge about Texas Recruiting than folks who read the recruiting threads here.

I would be *SHOCKED* if he has an in on the Arch Manning recruitment or if Texas was using him as a mouthpiece.

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's a sad situation when I can read this kind of tripe and actually see Sarkisian being that much of a buffoon. The best guy should fucking play, take his lumps and adversity as they come, grow through it, and lead the team into the future. You know, like good young players are supposed to do if they have a coach worth a shit.

Sarkisian didn't "put Card in a position" last year. Card was the best player in practice and looked good against a ranked team to open the season. He then had his spirit tested in a hostile environment, then wilted and shit himself, and deservedly got yanked. What a stupid fucking take. I certainly hope Sarkisian isn't that dickless. 

It’s our third coach in a row where we legitimately can’t give them a single benefit of the doubt after just one year. Good times. Good fucking times. 

• Rage+1 3

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's a sad situation when I can read this kind of tripe and actually see Sarkisian being that much of a buffoon. The best guy should fucking play, take his lumps and adversity as they come, grow through it, and lead the team into the future. You know, like good young players are supposed to do if they have a coach worth a shit.

Sarkisian didn't "put Card in a position" last year. Card was the best player in practice and looked good against a ranked team to open the season. He then had his spirit tested in a hostile environment, then wilted and shit himself, and deservedly got yanked. What a stupid fucking take. I certainly hope Sarkisian isn't that dickless. 

Lets Go Reaction GIF by Mason Ramsey

I still think you win btw.

• Haha 4

Humidor Pt. 1

Spoiler

Arch Manning, New Orleans (LA) Isidore Newman: The 6-foot-4, 220-pound quarterback is set to see Austin on March 26th, but don't be surprised to see Manning and his teammate Will Randle arrive a little sooner, perhaps March 24th. Manning’s really excited to return to the Forty Acres, Isidore Newman head coach Nelson Stewart tells IT.

The plan for the visit will be for Texas and Steve Sarkisian to immerse Manning and Randle in the Longhorns’ football culture. That means attending team meetings, team practices, and workouts. Basically, everything he's allowed to do. And Manning wants the same experience.

Not to be forgotten, AJ Milwee has been integral, even talking to Manning last night.

Kyle Flood is also helping out and keeping close contact with the Isidore Newman coaching staff.

Per Coach Nelson, Alabama, Ole Miss, Georgia, Florida, and LSU are also in the mix, but Texas is the only school Manning currently has a visit scheduled with.

Jamel Johnson, CB, Arlington (Texas) Seguin: The lone Texas pledge for the 2023 cycle is taking an unofficial to Arkansas this weekend. The 6-foot-1, 174-pound defensive back was always going to take a few trips after committing to the Horns.

The On3 Consensus No. 12-rated safety in the 2023 cycle is also talking to Texas A&M, Penn State, and USC — these may be official visit destinations. He's also looking at LSU, Ole Miss, Auburn, and Arizona State for potential stops this spring and summer. He still talks to Jeff Banks and Terry Joseph regularly and appears solid in his Texas pledge.

Tre Wisner, RB, Waco (Texas) Connally: The 5-foot-11, 181-pound Cen-Tex tailback recently dropped his top eight schools - OU, Oregon, Arkansas, Florida State, Oklahoma State, USC, Texas, and Texas A&M. Surprisingly the Horns made the cut.

The On3 Consensus No. 7-rated running back in the nation wasn't always a fan of the Longhorns, but Tashard Choice is changing that narrative. Wisner is building a strong relationship with the new Texas running back coach and sees a lot of himself in Choice, he tells IT.

He plans on taking an unofficial to Austin in April and will give the Texas staff a chance to win him over. OU and Oregon are thought to be the co-leaders, but Choice has the Horns in the mix for what is surely a two-tailback class.

Harris Sewell, OL, Permian (Texas) Odessa: Texas and the big 2023 west Texas offensive lineman continue to build a solid relationship. Even with OU, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, and Clemson making credible pushes, the Horns are still in the hunt. He's likely for the March 26th recruiting weekend, he tells IT. Sewell is also looking at trips to Norman (OK) and South Bend (IN), but has nothing scheduled as of this morning.

Texas is prioritizing the 6-foot-4, 302-pound On3 Consensus No. 72 overall prospect. One player that really helps the Horns cause here is Arch Manning. The two stay in touch, and Sewell likes the idea of blocking for the nation's top-rated QB for 2023.

Two more offensive linemen that are expected March 26 are On3 Consensus 4-star Jaydon Chatman and Ian Reed. Chatman is fresh off a visit to LSU with offensive line coach Brad Davis having made a positive impact. As of today, Chatman is also expected on campus at Oklahoma, Alabama, and Texas A&M this spring. The feeling on the Texas side is the Longhorns remain in a solid position with a very strong relationship having been built with the offensive staff led by Kyle Flood.

On3 Consensus 4-star wide receiver Jaquaize Pettaway did not make it to Oklahoma last weekend. He told IT Thursday that he plans to make visits to LSU, Texas, Oklahoma and Ohio State at some point. A visit to Texas March 26 or April 2 is a possibility, but nothing has been scheduled for sure as of yesterday. Texas wide receivers coach Brennan Marion remains in consistent contact with the Houston area playmaker. Pettaway has a full schedule with track and a part-time job, and also has had transportation issues making trips. The Langham Creek coaching staff got him to his June visits last summer, which included Texas and Alabama.

Pt. 2

Spoiler

*Thursday was the final team run for this bloc off-season. After today, the players will scatter for spring break. When they return, spring football begins (March 22nd).

*Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers are splitting reps with the 1s during throwing sessions. This doesn’t mean anything from a ’who is QB1?’ standpoint but each guy is gaining familiarity with the No. 1 receivers. A quiet, reserved type, Card is coming out of his shell and becoming more vocal. He's also throwing the ball very well. As for Ewers, he's earned the team's respect with his attitude, work ethic, and tremendous ability. The hype around is raw passing ability is well founded. He‘s more down-to-Earth than many expected given the pomp and circumstance around his recruitment(s).

*Jerrin Thompson is training at free safety and STAR (nickel). Jahdae Barron is also training at STAR in addition to corner this spring. The internal thought is if they’re getting the best 11 on the field, Barron will find a home. Speculation behind the scenes is Barron will win STAR and Thompson will compete with JD Coffey at field safety. True freshman Bryan Allen Jr. is in that competition as well.

*The two freshmen that have made the strongest impression on the team so far? "Terrance Brooks and Justice Finkley." Jaylon Guilbeau has also often been mentioned, but not this week. We’re not sure if Brooks’ listing of 210 pounds is 100% accurate, but he’s definitely gotten bigger and faster in just two months in a college S&C program. He seems to be putting any speed concerns as it relates to playing corner to bed. We still want to hear how he fares versus the faster wide receivers but signs are encouraging. (Moving Barron to STAR would also allow for early playing time for Brooks)

We all know Finkley’s leadership qualities and level of focus: hard worker, when he talks people listen, etc. But he also moves really well. His speed has been in line with some, but not all, of the linebackers. That goes for Jaray Bledsoe too.

*Another player out-performing his position from a speed standpoint is Alabama transfer Jahleel Billingsley. We’re told his speed is about in the middle of the pack of wide receivers.

Though the team will be off next week, we’ll be ramping up the spring previews for what is sure to be a compelling month. With so many questions surrounding the team, we hope to be able to give you quality insight as to whether the staff is finding answers.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I hope he's right, but if he is, we need Arch to commit this spring. Landing Arch will always be huge, but if he waits until six games into the season, we won't even have enough time to really build momentum for 23. 

i don't know shit about fuck but this seems like old school thinking.  these kids do whatever they want, whenever they feel like it.  if arch waits til the fall and studs want to follow him, they'll figure it out.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I still don't expect Card to be on the team by summertime.

If your expectation is realized, that means Card is an excellent student that will quite possibly graduate from McCombs ahead of schedule - May 2022. Will he really leave the opportunity for a diploma from McCombs on the table and walk away?

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s our third coach in a row where we legitimately can’t give them a single benefit of the doubt after just one year. Good times. Good fucking times. 

It's because our hiring process is utter shit. Not because of our boosters, but because our AD leadership can't pull their heads from their asses. That has little to do with boosters or cesspools.

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I don't care if a motherfucker is 6'2", 235, runs a 4.3 forty and a 3.9 shuttle, has fly paper hands and walks on water, if he is too lazy or fucking stupid to spell the word "what" correctly, go elsewhere. 

And since I know the board I'm dealing with, preemptive gifs against your responses, dickheads:

nana changing GIF

season 13 GIF

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't care if a motherfucker is 6'2", 235, runs a 4.3 forty and a 3.9 shuttle, has fly paper hands and walks on water, if he is too lazy or fucking stupid to spell the word "what" correctly, go elsewhere. 

And since I know the board I'm dealing with, preemptive gifs against your responses, dickheads:

nana changing GIF

season 13 GIF

The_JM_Smucker_Company.jpg?p=facebook

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Spelling, grammar, and literacy in general would be optional for a guy with those numbers.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

nana changing GIF

season 13 GIF

If Dexter Manley wants to come, let him come

46 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

nana changing GIF

season 13 GIF

Somebody send Jaydon Blue his walking papers...

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

nana changing GIF

season 13 GIF

my freshman yr in HS we won state with a RB that couldn’t read. 

just sayin

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

nana changing GIF

season 13 GIF

Look at this boomer lmao 

• Haha 1

Who dis?

On Friday, a five-star recruit in the Class of 2023 signed an agreement with a school’s NIL collective that could pay him more than $8 million by the end of his junior year of college, The Athletic has learned. He’ll be paid $350,000 almost immediately, followed by monthly payouts escalating to more than $2 million per year once he begins his college career, in exchange for making public appearances and taking part in social media promotions and other NIL activities “on behalf of (the collective) or a third party.”

https://theathletic.com/3178558/2022/03/11/five-star-recruit-in-class-of-2023-signs-agreement-with-collective-that-could-pay-him-more-than-8-million/

10 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Who is the one recruit who can command that kind of scratch in 2023? Also, who is a school that has an NIL “Collective”? 

I’ll hang up and listen.

for the record my Bama guy just called me shitting himself.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Who is the one recruit who can command that kind of scratch in 2023? Also, who is a school that has an NIL “Collective”? 

I’ll hang up and listen.

for the record my Bama guy just called me shitting himself.

Well obviously.  And look I get that if the Athletic isn't going to out and out name it probably nobody here who could be in the know will either.  So do what you do best guys, talk cryptically to me.....nice and slow.

35 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I’ll hang up and listen.

Arch is the most obvious but he isn’t the only one - Malachi Nelson checks all the boxes, and he’s already committed and as Caleb Williams has already proven the USC NIL groups are more than willing to make it rain.